Confirmed: VitaTV currently only works with Japanese accounts, can only access the JP PSN

vitatvIf, like me, you were excited by the VitaTV and preordered one when it was announced, let me break the news for you: growing rumors today were stating that the VitaTV is currently only compatible with the JP PSN. I can confirm this is true.

As an obvious consequence of the above, the VitaTV will not let you use your account if it is not a Japanese one. Attempting to setup the device with my US account, I was greeted by a dramatic “this service is not available in your country/region” message, and bounced back to the screen asking me to enter a user id and password.

Too bad, it had begun ok, with the device letting me choose my timezone and language, just like the Vita does, and that had contributed to raise my hopes.

Updating to he latest firmware (3.00) did not change a thing. Of course, it is possible that proxy tools such as SKFU pr0xy could somehow help tricking the account creation process, but I’ll let more adventurous people try that before me.

vitatv_not_available_in_your_country

So, there you have it, the VitaTV is currently only available for Japanese customers with Japanese accounts. You might be able to access it from outside of Japan, provided you have a Japan PSN account, but independently of your language settings, some of the services (such as the PSN Store itself) do not get translated. It is also likely that outside of Japan, many of the music/video services will not let you use them.

In the current state, if you live outside Japan and preordered a VitaTV, I’d suggest to cancel your preorder.

1. Sky Yuki’s avatar

Oh well i thought it will be available for all asian D:

2. BlazingHaze74’s avatar

Dang it! Oh well lucky me that I haven’t order it yet. Well I’m building my gaming rig, so I’m quite exicted!!!

3. Dragar’s avatar

But it still plays vita cartridges right? that would be fine for me as my most played games are on cartridge.

1. wololo’s avatar

Nope, the compatibility list for Cartridges is extremely limited too

1. codestation’s avatar

Do you know if the US/EUR versions of the games in the compatibility list works? Or the thing is also locked to JP cartridges only?

1. wololo’s avatar

Not sure about that, I don’t have nearly enough cartridge games to test that

4. mixedfish’s avatar

Wouldn’t make sense if it was available outside of Japan, services don’t exist yet and patches need to made for the games.

5. DSwizzy145’s avatar

@wololo Have you tested the Jikkiu Baseball Pro 2012 exploit VHBL on the VitaTV yet & see if it works? Hopefully later on users are able to access TN-V4 on their devices once available :D just imagine running PSP & PS1 backups, and also emulators/Homebrews being played on big wide television screens or HDTVs ;)

1. jonny2jo’s avatar

Oh mon Dieu!!i’ll order it for that! kingdom hearts birth by sleep on a 55Inch screen….dear santa Wololo please give us any feedback for trying it with TN-V4 when it comes out for 3.00

6. ChrimpChi’s avatar

Luck me i so glad to be in Japan. ^_^

7. Hellbelial’s avatar

Let them keep that in the japanese asses.That’s the reason vita is going down,imagine how much vita can sell if tales games comes to US,UK.

1. Samson’s avatar

haha doesn’t matter to me since I can read Japanese anyway! That’s why u guys should just learn Japanese

8. maybe’s avatar

Maybe because it is a Japanese release? I remember experiencing similar case as that one on other things and asked a the Japanese store personnel, all he said was “Japanese Release” and I just walked away with no choice. Well, I’m not sure but just saying. New feature only available in vitatv I guess?

9. Mr. MaGooe’s avatar

This blows. I really wanted on and a emed like a good fitting partner for my ps4