Fieldrunners VHBL update: Support for US version, and major fix for homebrews

Less than two days ago, hacker Frostegater released a port of VHBL for game Fieldrunners, compatible with Vita firmware 2.61 and below. There was initially no plan to release this exploit in the near future, but Sony patched the exploit prior to any public release with their firmware 3.00, therefore Frostegater decided it would be a good idea to release, for those of you who would like to stay on on 2.61 or below, in order to get some cool VHBL fun.

The release, given the circumstances, was done a bit in a hurry, and with an old version of wMenu, which does not actually work on recent firmwares. Several of you contacted me to mention that although homebrews seem to install fine, none of them would actually run. A patch is now out for that and should solve the issue.

For those interested in the details: long story short, old versions of wMenu attempt to install homebrews in the PSP/GAME folder, but that folder got protected as “read only” a little while ago in one of Sony’s updates for the Vita firmware. You’ll have to forgive Frostegater, this exploit was found aeons ago, and it is possible some of his files were old. More likely too, he already had homebrews installed on his memory stick, so the issue went unnoticed (since the problem only happens when installing homebrews, not to run them).

Anyway, the issue is now fixed, all that needed to happen was to replace the old wMenu build with something a bit more modern, in this case, the great alternate “138″ menu from GBOT.

Frostegater also released a US version of his exploit, for those with a US account. On that note, several people have had trouble installing Fieldrunners on a US Vita while still staying on firmware 2.61. (The PSN makes everything it can to get you to update to 3.00, and it seems some of the typical techniques involving a PS3 work fine on EU accounts, but not on US ones for some reason). Guides involving Charles proxy are already out there to tell you how to do this, but I’ll publish a summary of this asap.

As of this writing, Fieldrunners is still on the PSN, so grab it if you’re on 2.61 and if you want some VHBL joy. Please note that TN-V4 is said to be released sometimes soon, so you might also want to wait for a new exploit compatible with firmware 3.00 instead. The choice is yours (independently, Fieldrunners is a great PSP Mini)

Download

You can Download VHBL for Fieldrunners here

1. tangra87’s avatar

cool if I had not updated yet,Im prety sore that i was going to do this(becouse of the good and fast compability). but now that I updated (for the ps4 compability) I`ll wait for the next exploit and the TN-V4. thanks for the info .

2. aragorn46’s avatar

Hi Wololo, Im on version 2.12, how can i install it on my vita and i dont have the game? or should I update of TN-V4?

3. mart’s avatar

thanks guys but it wont load any snes game on the snes emulator. it keeps saying ”error reading memory”

4. mart’s avatar

wololo can you please help? is this a snes emulator problem? pls help?

5. beastes6453’s avatar

Hi everyone the day wololo announce a game for vhbl how it work you give the name and the country or a day before you say i release the game name tomorrow be prepare? thank

1. tangra87’s avatar

no,well you have(be registerd) to log in to the talk forum ,and just wait for the “ninja release” it is a scribe,that you resease before the “ofitial release” ,there is no date (never was) you just spontaniosly reseave it, or if you have litle time in this web site, you just wait to be announce as an artical ,like the rest of the people thet are not registerd and are searching for the game. Good luck ,and be peaciant ,it will come soon I expect it too ,as well as the tn-v4 kernel exploit.

6. samson’s avatar

not available on Japanese PSN :( darnnnnn

7. G36cBossMan’s avatar

I have a few questions and I’m a bit of a noob lol

1. Do you need a bios for the picodrive emulator?
    2. Do you need a bios for the master system emultor? ( I would only use it for gbc btw)
    3. I know you can’t give links but can anyone tell me the name of the bios files that I need?
    4. With this update does the n64 emultor work now?
    5. I noticed there are 2 n64 emulators what one works better?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

8. wildwilly112’s avatar

I have everything setup including 138 menu but there is one problem. I dont know how to install homebrew to 138 menu. If someone could right out the instructions for 2.61 it would be very appreciated.

9. kid’s avatar

Thanks. The “PSP/GAME” folder protected as “read only” problem is solved at last :)

1. mart’s avatar

@can you install homebrew like snes emulator@ i installed the snes emulator but it cant read from the memory it says it might be corrupt. the emulator loads fine but it doesnt see the snes games rom file and the snes games in it.

10. ambrosjb’s avatar

Where is the best VHBL installation guide?

11. Ruffbad’s avatar

Hi all I was just wondering I have Vhbl on my vita. And some homebrew doesn’t work. But when I installed my vhbl I already included menu 138. Does that mean im good to go or not? Help would be appreciated. Well thanks!

12. jonny2jo’s avatar

I still can’t see anything in the install folder even after using the fixed build, i put the INSTALL.ZIP in a save folder but nothing..

13. mart’s avatar

works fine and fast

14. B’s avatar

I Figured It Out Before The Post…Good Job Guys!

15. Bwitz’s avatar

Cat And Mouse!….

16. feeliodeelio’s avatar

So how do you access PSN without updating to 3.00? Can’t find info on that anywhere.

17. Timber’s avatar

I have the v2 fix installed with the 138 menu built in but snes9x still gives rom errors and black screen, any ideas?