The game exploits patched by Vita FW 3.00, and how this will impact future VHBL/TN-V releases

You may have heard of different naughty surprises that came with firmware 3.00, and you may ask what the hell this has to do with me? you may also wonder about the future of VHBL and TN-V4, I’m gonna tap on that here, but I’m also gonna explain why I think Sony has made a huge dumb mistake.

What happened?
Basically what happened is that around 4 games, maybe more, were secretly patched by Sony. This isn’t news, they have been secretly patching games for a while, Pool Hall Pro probably being the most famous. What’s new here is that they haven’t patched one game, they have patched 4 so far, and more and more people keep reporting private games being patched, so maybe there’s much more, who knows. But loosing 4 exploits is not much if you take into consideration that there’s probably more than 30 exploits in being kept under wraps. What really hurts the community here is that they made a huge change, a change that will make most exploitable games incompatible with VHBL, AND TN-V4, I’ll address that in a bit.

What did they do?
To understand what they did we gotta understand a crucial part of VHBL: the utilities. Loading all utility modules allowed us to have some important crucial functions available and increased compatibility a lot. What they did now is restrict the use of utilities to only the ones imported by the game, so attempting to load a utility that the game does not import a function from will result in a crash. Basically it all ends up with us not being able to load all utilities as we previously could, and in the end this affects compatibility with VHBL so badly that games that used to have crappy compatibility are no longer working, and games that used to have great compatibility now have a crappy one.

What about TN-V4?
I said this also affects TN-V4, but it doesn’t affect TN-V4 compatibility itself, it affects the amount of games that can now use TN-V4, as TN-V4 initially needs to be able to load certain utilities to access the exploitable function, and as I said, not all utilities are available to us as it used to be. Again, this doesn’t affect TN-V4 or the kernel exploit itself, once you run TN-V4, it’ll be all smooth from there, what this affects is the amount games that will be able to run TN-V4. Of course there are a few games that will be compatible with TN-V4 and we’ll release it when time is due, so TN-V4 will be released as promised.

Now that all that is out of the way, let me explain to you why Sony has done a huge mistake.
First of all, as I already said the amount of games that will be compatible with VHBL has been greatly reduced, this means if before we used to have a Ninja Release every two months or so, now devs will think twice before releasing their perfectly working, private exploit, so we will most likely see a release every 5 months or so.
On top of that they didn’t really do anything to patch CFW, while VHBL requires most utilities to have decent compatibility, CFW will normally require one, or in the worst case scenario, none, so there will always be games for CFW.

Essentially what they did is patch a piece of software that, instead of making losses to their business, it gave the potential for a game to sell thousands of copies, in the end they receive money and loose none. But now all these games that could have potentially sold thousands, will mostly like now sell only hundreds, or nothing at all, cause lets be honest, not everyone would have bought most previous exploits had they not have VHBL in them.

Why they decided to do such a crappy move that will do more harm than good is beyond me, but there’s one thing I know, the Vita is already struggling, and neglecting the amount of money the scene spends buying exploitable games is not the best way to gain revenue.

1. beastes6453’s avatar

hi wololo if i understand correct vhbl lose many game and
    is restricted and tnv4 will ru like a charm…. so do you think with this news a game exploit for 3.00 will be release at same time of tnv4.And thank you and all other giving us good work and candy for psp an vita ty

2. LTTP’s avatar

Things getting worse for Vita :’(

1. roflrofl’s avatar

I warned you that Sony was going to patch all this sh*t and crackdown about a week ago.

Everyone thought I was trolling.

Reap what you sow.

3. curious’s avatar

i was thinking the same thing why patch things that make sales but w.e. thank you for update Acid_snake

4. TORbrowser’s avatar

still sticking with 1.81, madblocker exploit…

1. Abdou005’s avatar

me too with 1,81 urbanix exploit and i’m happy with it :D

5. greysmoke’s avatar

Im on the gameocracy exploit, Ive got a ps3 ready to go for open cma to get me TN-V4. BRING IT ON #%@* SONY CORP!

6. Rob’s avatar

If you’re a dev and you make vita games, just include a flaw in your game and you’ll sell thousands!! ;)

1. McLoven’s avatar

^^LIKE^^

*psp/vita games

2. PlaGeRaN’s avatar

+1 with this guy!

3. SsJVasto’s avatar

That wouldn’t work, the Exploits are only in PSP games and minis.

- A PSVita game is native and hard to exploit AFAIK, we don’t have an opensource SDK yet for it;
      - A PlaystationMobile (PSM) game is written in .Net and runs in a mono environment (a sandbox) that could possibly be exploited, but there are no homebrew for that, AFAIK;
      - a PSM Application is validated by Sony before reaching the Store, so if you put an exploit and it’s obvious, you are going agains the Liscence Agreement you accepted when you became a developer, and you will have serious legal issues (because you’re “attacking the system’s stability”);
      - You can distribute your game for free (if you’re ready to pay Sony 1$ each time the game is downloaded), which is similar to homebrew anyway (free game download, no DRM)

People who CAN do this probably wont…

1. DarkenLX (Louis Royal)’s avatar

^^^^^ A PSVita game is native and hard to exploit AFAIK, we don’t have an opensource SDK yet for it.

And it will most likely never get a openSDK until the system dies because sony knows that is like opening all the doors and windows in a house and saying try to break in. Sony is not stupid just …. Slow…. lol atm at preventing exploits sdk would give us almost all tools for hacking the vita well aside from making cfw which im guessing would need a key like the ps3 has on its firm we get a key and [insert badass mofo dance here] we get cfw

2. DarkenLX (Louis Royal)’s avatar

^^^a PSM Application is validated by Sony before reaching the Store, so if you put an exploit and it’s obvious, you are going agains the Liscence Agreement you accepted when you became a developer, and you will have serious legal issues (because you’re “attacking the system’s stability”)
        True But if you dont publish it and just provide the code as open source you have not gone against the tos… see the psm gets a key to let you test load the app to your ps vita w/o publishing for debuging so.. the vita will run it since you have not published it you have not invailidated the tos it only applies if you put it on the psn store

1. DarkenLX (Louis Royal)’s avatar

meaning share the code online somewhere :P

7. mixedfish’s avatar

Sony don’t need pity cash from ‘thousands’ of sales. They are more than willing to forgo some profit for the sake of legitimacy, i’m sure any big company would do the same.

1. wololo’s avatar

I agree with this comment. I don’t think Sony cares about the few thousands of sales of minis they get from exploits, compared to the hundreds of thousands or millions of sales they make from “regular” use of their services

8. landy’s avatar

I just went to know if 2.60 can use TN-V4 to play psp
    game on vita, cause my psp is too old.

1. Chuckthetekkie’s avatar

It was said that TN-V4 will eventually be ported to all current exploited games. The biggest difference is how much RAM the eCFW will have to work with depending on what PS Vita. firmware you are using.

1. phil87700’s avatar

Well explained :-)

2. landy’s avatar

Ok,Now I understood,Thank you!

9. Marjojojo’s avatar

with great games coming along vita, it’s getting harder and harder to choose between an exploit and updating. haha. i think wololo and his friends has a big part on why sony has been getting great games. haha. maybe great games like injustice, coming in this november, is a result of sony’s fight against hacking :D

1. Chuckthetekkie’s avatar

This is why I have 2 Vitas. One for eCFW and one for PSN. I got a great deal on my one Vita so I didn’t mind forking out the money to have a Vita for PSN use.

1. Marjojojo’s avatar

can you use 1 account in different vitas?

1. deathhell’s avatar

yes thats wat me and my cousin do. we share the same accout and on different vita and we split the games two at 1 price which we do 1/2 and 1/2

2. wololo’s avatar

Good games, PS+, and great online offers are the best weapons Sony have today against hacking. I for one am glad they fight this way more than with legal action, or stupid anti piracy measures. I think they got it right, basically.

10. francis’s avatar

Very well explained acid. Thanks..bin clarified… Waiting for the tnv4 and hs krnl.

11. francis’s avatar

If i cn get krnl i wl donate smthn.

12. brunoso’s avatar

This f*CK 3.0 update f*cked my WiFi gameplay on MK. I cannot send an invitation on it. Almost crash my Savegame too. Very sad about this. De really need a native hbl!

13. wololo    ’s avatar

I gave up on hacking my vita. I will end up just updating it for better things anyway…

1. Sky Yuki’s avatar

Well good thing that i already gave up at 2.12
      And went with psn goods (still sad i can’t play games i want on psp but hey i brought vita so play vita game i keep telling myself that)

2. stOneskull’s avatar

i want to try tn-v for about 2 months.. then go back
      i couldn’t be offline for ever but for a little while is fine

14. Dr.Jones’s avatar

Will I need a PS3 to get TN-V4? I have Dart Game exploit on 2.60. How to do anything without updating vita firmware? Hallo?

1. tangra87’s avatar

No, the only thing you will need is to stick with your corrent ps vita firmware and wait for the TN-V4 release and meanwile no update.

15. phil87700’s avatar

SOLD my VITA :-) Are you happy now SONY?… Keep on releasing crappy updates and patches.. Im happy with my Made in China – Brick Game.. :-(

1. goforitplebs’s avatar

glad you sold it, pirate!!

16. phil87700’s avatar

Lol.. waiting for the slim vita release… Pal. ;-)

17. Leires’s avatar

I may be a bit ignorant to some of business, so I’m just throwing out a guess.. Aren’t they obligated to keep up security? Can they not get in trouble legally by allowing/at least not working to slow down this stuff? I mean, it seems kinda stupid myself, but..surely there’s reason behind their madness, shitty as it is to us, isn’t there? Then again, i guess that would be like PC makers getting in trouble because people pirate things..hmm..

Maybe they’re just paranoid as hell? There’s gotta be some reason..I guess it doesn’t fix anything to know -why-, but..surely there’s something to it.. I really expected this, though..They tend to do big things to full-number firmware. :/

Thanks for telling us in detail though, sir snake of acid, what all was patched. Pretty sad, but that’s sony for you. ._.

18. MovingxTarget’s avatar

Honestly there should be one VHBL exploit a year. If we release vhbl exploits the way we did this year we wont have anymore. People just need to be ready for when a exploit comes out,thats it honestly.

19. jbaby2883’s avatar

Sony fucking sucks bottom line. Their turning into a fucking Apple product real talk. Sony stop wasting fucking time with updates and put some real titles out for the Vita. If you spent a fraction of the time patching up shit on getting hot tittles out for vita you could be making billions. Sony listen…vita will be open source sooner or later.

1. Dmaskell92’s avatar

I’d like to personally thank Sony.

This would have not of been possible without your dedication.

Look at how many circle jerking firmware kids are crying right now. Maybe they will learn how to “purchase” a legit copy of the game, instead of pirating.

We are one step closer to eliminating piracy on the Vita.

Good job!!!

1. unknown’s avatar

dmaskell92 getting vita games for free is not really the purpous of exploiting it i modded my psp to play gba and gbc games that i have but no longer have a game boy and to play old nes and sega games whos copy rights have expired i could give a shit less about pirateing new game realeses there all shit same old story every time just with HD grafics now

20. jbaby2883’s avatar

PROJECT:Sony-Dark…who’s willing to donate. Let get a group together called DarkSonY and fund a project “Sony-Dark” and the hackers together to do some work. After we get into you know what we only share to those that make a donation to join.

21. LaidBackBlack’s avatar

Still using my UNO exploit.

22. Frostburn’s avatar

If you replace a PS Vita memory stick for a bigger one, would it have to run on the latest firmware? Or would it work on the current firmware on the vita/old memory card.

23. demonchld’s avatar

Maybe u have a leak reporting those games to Sony?

What they did will not affect Sony at all as most people dont even bother or even know how to hack there device. Whats killing them is no devs want to make games for it. Im still holding onto mine waiting for your release :) I have Pokemon XY so im good for now lol

1. Dmaskell92’s avatar

I’d like to personally thank Sony (and all of the members who continued to e-mail Sony, really big thanks to these guys!).

This would have not of been possible without your dedication.

We are one step closer to eliminating piracy on the Vita.

Good job.

24. Joe K’s avatar

Using my uno exploit and thinking of buying another vita to at least use my ps+ membership that i hardly use at all on my ps3.

25. Haze7’s avatar

Will we have some type of Vita FW Flasher in the future?

1. greysmoke’s avatar

My friend, almost anything is possible with the right hardware. If I can downgrade a ps3 with a lil soldering skill, why not a vita? We could use some nice high res pics of the mother board. Identify the chips and pinouts. Would make the devs life ALOT easier. ;D

1. Dmaskell92’s avatar

I’d like to personally thank Sony.

This would have not of been possible without your dedication.

We are one step closer to eliminating piracy on the Vita.

Good job!!

26. Sheldon cooper’s avatar

All This is over if I got that in vita you could do the firmware downgrades, would already be a great battle won..

Sorry for me bad english..

1. Dmaskell92’s avatar

I’d like to personally thank Sony.

This would have not of been possible without your dedication.

We are one step closer to eliminating piracy on the Vita.

Good job!

27. FallenHalos’s avatar

If i havent updated will i be able to jailbreak my psp vita on 2.61? And when will it come out?

28. alaha’s avatar

To all who wants to buy second Vita for PSN and keep exploited Vita, why dont you try to buy PSP? Its already totally hacked and Sony gave up. If exploit was effects Vita side I’m totally agree with you but waiting for new exploit for playin PSP games is pain in the ass and buying (or using throwed a side PSPs) PSP is much easier.

If you ask for me I’m using UNO exploit. I have PSP-3000 but I’m playing PSP games on Vita instead of PSP. 5″ OLED makes games beautier. I know I’m crossing with above. But its getting harder by the time. If Sony releases a Vita game that I cant refuse I’ll have to update. Coz I wont miss anything.

Sometimes I thought Sony gave up on PSP but why still chasing PSP on Vita? Or is there a gateway between Vita Side and PSP emu that we dont know? It seems not possible limitations on PSP emulator and communication protocol but I’m suspicious. At least I know we have ability to access vita content(very restircted i guess) while in PSP emu coz i can play musics on Vita with TN-V.

29. Wrozen’s avatar

Well…..who has two thumbs and is never updating his Vita past 2.12 now?! This guy!

30. Dmaskell92’s avatar

I’d like to personally thank Sony.

This would have not of been possible without your dedication.

We are one step closer to eliminating piracy on the Vita.

Good job.

1. Dmaskell92’s avatar

Some want this exploit for more than Piracy, only douches like you focus on the ISO, when I want better homebrew support. Spam with my name all you want, IP addresses are traceable.

1. Realist’s avatar

Sure, some people are focused on legal homebrew, but that’s an incredibly tiny minority, and you’re a fool if you think otherwise.

31. Realist’s avatar

“Essentially what they did is patch a piece of software that, instead of making losses to their business, it gave the potential for a game to sell thousands of copies, in the end they receive money and loose none.”

Yeah, nobody ever used VHBL to play PSP ISO’s …oh wait.

32. Franz’s avatar

No ones mentioning buy a used psp dirt cheap now if we can buy a bnew vita then we can probably buy a psp and play games on it i bought ps plus and updated cause lol how can i play uncharted gravity rush

33. Rodrigo’s avatar

Hello i have a psvita on firmware 3.0 and would like to know if the TN-V4 will be compatible with this firmware.

sorry my english.

34. Dmaskell92’s avatar

Nice, use my name to spam. You’re a cool guy.

35. Dmaskell92’s avatar

Nintendo is retarded just like you are.

36. jeremymd’s avatar

no, tnv4 will NOT be able to play backup Vita games. only PSP games. and tradeoff for anyone choosing to do this won’t be able to play Vita games. it will be a hard choice. what do i want to play on my Vita? Free PSP games or paid Vita games?

37. wololo’s avatar

What makes you believe you wont be able to play vita games? That’s a lie.

38. Dmaskell92’s avatar

Nintendo has always been aimed towards children, and the only innovative idea they had in years was a stupid motion controller. Lack of 3rd party support, The battery life sucks, and I can only play so many Mario rehashes. Don’t get me started on the shit hardware, thus resulting in shit 3D graphics. The Wii, and WiiU sales are lower than your IQ, and The only thing Nintendo sells is that shit DS. Have fun playing My Little Pony.