Frostegater’s Firmware 2.61 VHBL Exploit revealed ! – Get is as soon as possible !

Earlier today was the firmware 3.00 released, and this demonic firmware fixed one of the greatest PS Vita Half Byte Loader exploits, that is was available. I am speaking of Frostegater’s FieldRunners exploit, which supports firmware 2.61 and below!

The game should have never been released, since it is just too awesome. This was the statement of myself, frostegater and my friend Kanade Engel, the 3 people who used this exploit frequently.
Sony surprised us a bit with their firmware 3.00, which fixes the awesome exploit. The exploit literally just takes ~10 seconds to boot into the wMenu, and is then ready to launch homebrews. You do not have to press a button, you just have to start the game and lean back.

This usermode exploit supports the super nintendo emulator, SnesTyl 0.4.2 (HBL Version), PSPFiler 6.6 (HBL), Gpsp and Masterboy. It also supports a lot of other homebrews, which I do not want to list right now. This game has a pretty high compatibility, and it is even possible to exit all these homebrews without crashing the VHBL itself! (PSPFiler is the exception, quiting it crashes the VHBL. It is recommended to close the exploit game, and relaunch it, if you intend to close PSPFiler.)

The FieldRunners Exploit, among other patched exploits

The game is available in the European PSN Store for mere 5€, takes ~30MB of space, and takes LESS than 10 seconds to boot into wMenu.
The game is also available in the US PSN Store, for 5-7$. Also available in the UK, AU and other stores. It seems to be missing in asian stores.

This video is pretty old, made around firmware 2.02, but it shows the FieldRunners exploit in action. It does not show the game itself, but I will deliver a video which shows the exploit in action.
You can see that the exploit is pretty fast, accurate and damn awesome. It is a shame that such a good piece of work got fixed.

Frostegater stated at his twitter account, that if you own the US Version of FieldRunners, that you should contact him, so he can create exploit files for the US version.
At the moment there are just exploit files for the EU Version, since those were tested (by me) since firmware 1.80.

Download: FieldRunners VHBL for Firmware 2.61 (EU Version)

(US Version will be ready soon)

Be also sure to donate to Frostegater, if you like the work he did. He will definitely appreciate it. :)

1. swystix’s avatar

for step 10 in charles, do we use ver or var, having trouble getting through without the update message

1. K’s avatar

This guide worked fine for me, and it doesn’t even do the var thing like the text guide.

2. swystix’s avatar

var is correct, got it downloaded properly :)

2. Wrozen’s avatar

This game is free for PS Plus subscribers in the US.

3. StepS’s avatar

Oh no :( had this one myself too. Damn, opening this article from my mobile phone I just KNEW it was going to be it… But we move forward! Thank you again Frostetater and your friend who originally found this vulnerability. For sure it could have been released later for some bigger things, but well… It will be remembered for sure.

PS: oh and btw, has the Wagic been finally made working on this exploit? I don’t have access to my vita right now yet, thanks The Z?

1. StepS’s avatar

-ignore the last questionmark, silly touch keyoard :p

4. xlovenuggetx’s avatar

is this compatible with the upcoming TN kernel exploit?

5. lys’s avatar

I got this exploit working and VHBL loads and after installing homebrews the homebrews won’t launch at all. No errors or anything, the “selected” item just jumps to the top and nothing happens. Any ideas?

1. wololo’s avatar

There is a bug in the release, it includes an old version of wMenu which doesn’t work correctly on recent firmwares. Please use 138 menu instead: http://wololo.net/talk/viewtopic.php?p=273438

We will publish an update as soon as I hear back from The Z and Frostegater

6. smiletime123’s avatar

ok so i get charles proxy working..the vita says up to date when i try “update via wifi” but as soon as i go back to psn store it says i need to update…i dont know what to doooo

7. oHDGx’s avatar

Charles proxy won’t work for me.
    I followed this tut exactly.
    Any help?

8. emre’s avatar

so I wanted to get to work the exploit on my ps vita but i don’t know how… i already downloaded the game and the exploit data, what’s next?

1. emre’s avatar

okay already got it, forgot to put the vhbl folder in that direction :P

9. Jomann’s avatar

what the hell? why was there no warning of this earlier? I just updated to 3.00 last night when you guys posted the article saying that an exploit still worked on it…… seriously?!

1. wololo’s avatar

Did you actually read the article? There was no Ninja release of this, Sony patched the exploit in 3.00, which is why the exploit was revealed now.

10. smiletime123’s avatar

For everyone having issues with charles proxy…after an hour of fucking with it i found one post that said “anywhere you see f/w 3.00 change it to your current f/w prolly 2.61… so everywhere you see “03.000.000″ change it to “02.610.000″…

1. electromax’s avatar

this is true, now i have the game but is the us version, and waiting the exploit

11. John R.’s avatar

the upcoming kernel exploit will still work on 3.00 without trying to get that vhbl user mode exploit, right ? because i can’t login to psn with 2.61 :(

12. G36cBossMan’s avatar

Great… Thanks for releasing it now that its to late… You are aware that the 3.00 update was relased yesterday right? So that means its impossible to get the exploit since you relesed it the day after the update this is exactly why I knew it was a bad idea to hold in to so many exploits and not release them…

1. Dmaskell92’s avatar

This was never intended for the public! If Sony didn’t magiclly patch a secret exploit, it would still be a secret. Stop acting like a demanding twat.

13. megaman781’s avatar

hopefully there will be a TN port

14. deven’s avatar

is there an alternative to charles proxy?? the program wont run on my computer its something to do with my java.

15. Guestboy354’s avatar

cant transfer fieldrunners to my vita maaannnn -_-

16. Hellbelial’s avatar

FUCK!!! I tough there will be for 3.0 thats why i update,are you kidding me?.

17. kaos’s avatar

can this emulate a ps1 emu

1. kaos’s avatar

sorry if its a stupid question but I really want to play starwars

18. xatrix’s avatar

I downloaded the game with charles proxy. But how can I install the vhbl?

19. Ruffbad’s avatar

Hi I bought field runners yesterday and used Charles proxy to bypass the ofw 3.00 Im trying to install the us verison of frostegater’s vhbl but when I put the savedata on my vita and load the game its a black screen. ten seconds later and error pops up saying (C1-2858-3) appears? Im not sure what im doing wrong but some help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

20. Ruffbad’s avatar

Sry forgot to mention that the game worked before I put the savedata on my vita. When I take it off it works again so the games not corrupt or anything.

21. DSwizzy145’s avatar

How do you exactly do the exploit files like put all of FrVBHL files to the savedata folder with the rest or put the FrVBHL folder inside the Save folder? Thanks!

22. schmief’s avatar

This is The Z showing you how to install 2.61 Fieldrunners vHBL.

23. Eligio Harris’s avatar

Everything went as planned, emulators all installed, but none of them run. was it something I did wrong? I followed everything to the T!

24. tevin02’s avatar

having a little trouble with the charles proxy help plzz

25. Lord Lien’s avatar

Balls… I’m 24 hours too late for this/boo! How dare real life get in the way :(

26. Ruffbad’s avatar

OK so I finally got Vhbl working! But everytime I try to install homebrew if doesn’t show up to install? Am I missing something? I’ve tried all kinds of tutorials but to no avail. A little help would be really appreciated as I’m new to hacking the vita. Thanks!

27. jonny2jo’s avatar

This is one of the happiest days of my life thank you Frosty XD!!

28. Bobo’s avatar

how can i change from 2.60 to 2.61?

29. wy301’s avatar

I am now have the VHBL for FR installed can it support TN-V1,2,3?

30. MIKE’s avatar

hey dudes, i need some help on how to install the homebrews onto my vita, i already have the fieldrunners vhbl installed on my vita so all i need are the homebrews to play, for example any emulators that work on the exploit, any help, or a link to a detailed tutorial would be greatly appreciated.

1. wololo’s avatar

check this thread, it has download links: http://wololo.net/talk/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=10859

31. xperimental’s avatar

Hey guys, I Downloaded fieldrunners to my PS3 but can’t get it copied to the PS-vita, as of NOV.16,2013 charles proxy no longer works also the Open CMA unplug form pc trick no longer works. IS there some other way to get fieldrunners on the PS-vita.

Thanks

1. D3V6677’s avatar

I need the same help. Well I did have Fieldrunners but I accidentally deleted it off my Vita. Now I can’t get it.

32. Emil’s avatar

Im on 2.61 too but i have no PS3. No Chance?!

· 1 · 2