Update: Valve’s Steambox prototype can be hacked

Two days ago we reported on how, the number one PC gaming platform, Steam aims to conquer the living room. Today Valve unveiled the second pillar in this process;  titled Steam Machines Valve announced a beta program for their hardware.

It is well know that Valve will produce their own hardware, which in some capacity will work with their service Steam. We also know that other companies are working (with) Valve on similar hardware. So where is the actual news part, well Valve’s own open and upgradable Steambox prototype will have a beta test amongst eligible Steam users. This prototype hopes to set itself apart from the other devices by catering to “users who want to most possible control over their hardware.”

Similar to micro console Ouya, Vale states that they will allow their box to be hacked. – But careful readers might notice that doesn’t imply that the company will allow SteamOS itself to be hacked-

Hardware beta

Valve made 300 units of their own hardware prototype available for a beta test, claiming that implementing user feedback in design choices ensures that the right product will be made. Out of these 300, thirty “boxes” will go to preferred participants of the beta test. The other 270 “machines’ will be randomly granted amongst those who completed the Eligibility Quest before October 25th.

Prototypes for the beta will  ship this year and variety of SteamOS capable machines will hit the consumer market somewhere in 2014.

Like or hate reading my articles address me on twitter @italkgame or voice your thoughts in the comments below.

Tags: , , , ,

1. whereisfrostegater’s avatar

Jajajaja fock steam

2. Epicsnail12’s avatar

I just need 4 more friends!! :(

1. italkgame’s avatar

One can never have to many true friends. If you want I will add you on my list. Why? Because you read my article :D

1. BlazingHaze74’s avatar

Hahaha.Can youadd me too?I jeed a few more friends too.

1. italkgame’s avatar

Sure but I would need your account details to do so. Send me a tweet @ italkgame and I’ll add you.

1. BlazingHaze74’s avatar

Ok thanks.

2. liquidmagic’s avatar

what do you need friends for?

3. NoName’s avatar

Of course it can be “hacked”. It’s just a PC with an open source Linux and normal consumer hardware. What would keep you from messing around with it?

1. Telgar Drakore’s avatar

I think the point being made here is that Valve is not condemning hacking the box, not that its POSSIBLE to hack it. After all I would imagine Valve wants as many people to hack and break the box as possible to provide valuable feedback and information to prevent it in the future.

1. yes’s avatar

I dont see why Valve would have any saying in this. Its like Asus saying “you’re allowed to install Linux on our PCs”. SteamOS is an OS based on Linux, and it will run on any PC, meaning that the so-called Steambox would be PCs that comes with Linux (SteamOS) pre-installed. People are free to use their PC as they like. Maybe Valve mentioned it just to make sure that people dont think that Steambox is a closed system though.

2. yes’s avatar

Oops, i ment to post that as an own reply, not a reply to what you said, sorry about that.

4. the3’s avatar

It sounds like there trying to do what ms shoulda done with the original xbox give ppl a computer tell um u can do what ever with the hardware but leave the os alone lol I like the sound of it

5. krystalgamer’s avatar

“Vale states that they will allow their box to be ”
    I think it’s Valve

1. svenn’s avatar

Yea, seems poster din’t check his text prior to posting…

6. fate6’s avatar

I wish people would realise that its not “hacking” anymore if its allowed

Its just a mod so a better title would be
    “Valve to allow mods on SteamBox”

1. italkgame’s avatar

Because the majority of people use the term hacking loosly, I believe that when adressing those people there is no harm in using the terminology those people use/understand.

Sure the title is ment to trigger interest, but in my defense this was taken straight from the reveal website website

7. 110706’s avatar

Unlike PS Vita…sht i wont be surprised if even PS4 is going to be hacked. Unlike PS Vita…

1. Dmaskell92’s avatar

I’m sure if the security is this tight on a platform that they expected to get beaten by Nintendo. The PlayStation 4 will be ridiculously tight. You would be a idiot to think otherwise. Remember how long it took to hack PS3? It won’t happen before the Vita…

8. Acid_Snake’s avatar

I’ve been a bit out of the scene when it comes to Steam and the recent news. Can someone enlighten me? is this kinda like an open console like the Ouya? What does it offer that PC or other Consoles don’t offer? is it like a mix of both worlds?

9. Gabriel’s avatar

Hi!!
    The SteamOS will be free to instal in any machine, it’s a mod from Linux. And also will become with free license to modify the sistem itself.
    The thing that I belive that Valve won’t allow, is to modify the Steam software for the games.

10. Valhalla’s avatar

But is it called “hacking” when they let you do it?

1. Acid_Snake’s avatar

not really, it’s called “modding”

11. Warlord698’s avatar

don’t suppose we could get a source link for story?

12. Nando’s avatar

The cake is a lie The cake is a lie The cake is a lie The cake is a lie The cake is a lie…

13. yes’s avatar

14. idiot’s avatar

This just in: all systems can be hacked!

1. yes’s avatar

Technically, maybe, but this article about Valve is more about whats made possible without having to break some security first.