NTT Docomo’s take on Google Glass: Intelligent glasses

docomo_intelligent_glassesApparently, wearable devices are the future. If you’re not sick to death of the “Apple is going to announce a watch, we swear it’s real” announcements by now, then probably you have been living under a rock for the past 12 months. Today, it’s Japan’s own NTT Docomo’s turn to announce their progress in the field of wearable technology.

Is NTT banking on the success of Google Glass? Was it something they had envisioned long before Google? (I recall some ceatec event back in 2008 where they showcased facial recognition)… either way, NTT Docomo announced yesterday that they will have a booth at the Ceatec 2013 (a tech even in Kahin Makuhari, Japan <– hey, I used to work there :) ), and will introduce their new wearable prototype named “Intelligent glasses”.

The device will apparently ship with several cool features: facial recognition which pulls a full profile from the cloud (useful for salarymen who are tired to carry all their partners’ business cards with them, or binders full of women), and direct OCR+language translation (ok, this sounds insanely cool, but I’m worried they will focus on English-to-Japanese rather than Japanese-to-English).

Based on the pictures, the glasses are created by Vuzix, a US manufacturer specialized in computer display, especially… glasses

From Docomo:

Intelligent glasses give users a hands-free experience by utilizing a display on the frame to seamlessly provide information and entertainment. Visitors can experience direct manipulation of virtual content in a world of augmented reality (AR) created with the intelligent glasses and their innovative capabilities, such as facial recognition which pulls relevant information from the cloud to provide a profile of a person being viewed, and character recognition enabling instant language translation.

Additionally, Docomo will introduce its concept for the new 5G network, as well as new smartphone models for 2014.

intelligent_glasses_ntt_docomo

Ceatec is scheduled to happen from October 1 to October 5.

Are you excited by wearable technology, and glasses in particular? I personally can’t wait for the eyePhone

eyephone

source: Docomo

1. DigitalChaos’s avatar

HIS POWER IS OVER 9000!!!

1. wololo’s avatar

Haha, well played, sir.

2. mangosteam’s avatar

DBZ GEIGER COUNTER HAHAHA

3. Antichrist84’s avatar

eyePhone, lol nice one

4. BlazingHaze74’s avatar

this looks interesting.

5. jake’s avatar

“Intelligent glasses”, sounds like they used a thesaurus and renamed “Smart Phones”. Nice hardware though :)

6. FonFon’s avatar

Does it also analyze people power level? XD

7. k3nn’s avatar

hmm, too dorky and too big on the encumbered ear. if they can put it in a contact lens, then we’re talking :P

8. wartaf’s avatar

LOL!! i guess, some years from now, the Saiyan will going to invade the earth. :D

9. Obito’s avatar

Why can’t they just make normal glasses like normal people wear? I mean, I don’t need to let everybody know I’m wearing a super dopper Google Glass artefact, I just want normal glasses, with 2 crystal lenses, and just let one of them show information.

10. yosh’s avatar

Japanese models look like real robots already, no need for additionnal devices xD

11. Thrawn’s avatar

What is wrong with normal handhelds? I mean why do I need a piece of garbage on my headthat makes me look like a dork? For example, how many people do see running around with bluetooth headsets? Not so many cause imagine walking along a shopping mall talking to yourself, everybody stares at you and thinks your just one of those long gone. But in reallity you were talking to your buddy or whom ever.
    You easily fall in this uncanny valley where people talk behind your back “is he insane? Ohh noo, he is using a headset”.
    The same will happen to those glass style thingies.

1. reaper’s avatar

you may think is dumb now but wait a 10 or 20 years. When everyone has one except you… the retro guy with the old technology hahaha! the virtual will be so real that many people will be online any chance they can get zzzzzzzzzzzzz

12. squiggs’s avatar

All I want is a simple smart watch, like the current sony one. Not one with a camera, or that runs android, or worth 300$. Something that makes it so that I do not have to take my phone out of my pocket to see texts and changed songs

13. BSnake’s avatar

As far as I know the i in iPhone, iOS,… stands for Intelligent. So NTT is making iGlasses. :)
    BTW, I am looking forward to .

14. ewan’s avatar

i want some peer through depths feature.