One more (VHBL) exploit on PS Vita firmware 2.61

PS Vita firmware 2.61 was released recently by Sony as a reply to the latest VHBL exploit running on the “Arcade Darts” game (and other games from the same company). But PSP vulnerabilities are still present on the latest PS Vita firmware. We had already mentioned two vulnerabilities, and proof of concept videos showing VHBL running on firmware 2.61.

Joining the fun is Japanese developer 173210 who announced a few days ago that he has a running exploit on firmware 2.61, through a game available on the JP store (we’ve had a stream of VHBL releases that were not available on the JP store… so it’s good to see one this time).

Although 173210 shows VHBL running in the video below, he also explained that several issues (related to freeing the Ram) prevent the exploit from being really useful to run “big”homebrews (including most emulators) through VHBL. Nevertheless, such an exploit could be used as a vectore for a potential future Kernel exploit, such as Total_Noob’s upcoming exploit. (Be patient, he’s waiting for the PS4 and its associated compatibility patches on the Vita before releasing anything).

This brings to 3 the number of publicly known exploits running on 2.61, although I’m sure there’s many more.

By the way, for those of you who ask why we keep bothering about VHBL, I’ve explained that (partially) here.

Source 173210

1. Codeine’s avatar

Thanks.

2. BlazingHaze74’s avatar

That’s good to know that there are 3 exploits on 2.61.

1. Thrawn’s avatar

Keep in mind that those are exploits from ppl willing to publish their exploits. So there is reason to assume that there is a black number of ppl which hold an exploit and are waiting for either later firmwares/features/more games or are keeping that exploit as their special little something for themselves.
      Regardless of that, we should be thankful to those who are willing to share some of their findings to the community, even if it is only a small exploit not capable of running something major.

2. Resinmg’s avatar

How Does everyone get 3 publicly known exploits…
      1 The Z
      2 xXShinkirouXx
      3 173210
      4 Total Noob

None of these have been released and all work on 2.61.

Unless Total Noob doesn’t have his own exploit witch would make absolutely no sense at all being he could not test his own work on 2.61. The above article also states that he doesn’t plan on releasing anything until the ps4 comes out. Don’t think this guy is a mind reader… So there is no way for him to make something for a future firmware besides running it on a present firmware.
      DON’T EXCLUDE TOTAL NOOB JUST BECAUSE HE IS WAITING, IT’S THE RIGHT THING TO DO!!!!!
      Keep up the good work guys but get the score right:)

3. qwikrazor87’s avatar

I’m sure the RAM issue can easily be resolved.

1. xlovenuggetx’s avatar

you really think someone will find a way passed Sony’s 32mb memory lock?

1. qwikrazor87’s avatar

I’m not talking about the 32 MB limit, I’m talking about the lack of available RAM needed for homebrew.

2. titegtnodI’s avatar

That’s interesting. Maybe if you get in contact with him, he’ll consider allowing you to help out (if you’re interested). I hope nobody releases an exploit for 2.61 and waits for a f/w release that actually introduces new features.

When I first read your comment I was thinking “really? How could you possibly know that” then I read your name and I was like “oh, because you’re always porting VHBLs and making them relatively bug-free ^-^”".

4. omar’s avatar

another one? what is this? ^^

5. isacco’s avatar

Can this exploit run also PSP ISOs?

1. Sylen7Nato’s avatar

lol, it never fails…someone always has to ask this question when a new exploit is mentioned…the answer is NO isacco, VHBL can NOT run PSP ISO’s.

1. Ryan’s avatar

As much as I understand how frustrating it can be when people ask the same question over and over. Please try to remember it is rarely ever the SAME person doing the asking. This guy could be some random dude who stumbled upon this site, and now he is welcomed as the moron who doesn’t know anything.

My suggestion is to speak to these people as kindly as you can because it isn’t their fault that they don’t know everything in the universe. Ignorance isn’t always a bad thing. Sometimes people just don’t know, and that’s okay.

1. Sylen7Nato’s avatar

all i did was laugh at the fact the question was asked, not at him…and then i answered his question…u must have got picked on a lot in high school.

2. Acid_Snake’s avatar

N0, 1t d0esn’t pl4y 1S0z

1. GBOT’s avatar

y gimme sum vit4 is0s pl0xk?thxbai

6. Michael Pulis’s avatar

:D Thanks for all the hard work. PS, can it please be a free title.

1. Fatman’s avatar

I think you’re missing the basic point here.

7. phil87700’s avatar

Great indeed are your works O Hackers.. Now and ever more…
    ;-)… the universe night and day… waits for all your wonders…. you are our light and our life… we shall praise you always…. great indeed are your……..

8. mynameisstupid’s avatar

we only get dumb vhbl exploits
    when are the kernel exploits coming

1. Haze7’s avatar

The Kernel Exploit is coming out after the PS4 release. Be patient.

9. Wrozen’s avatar

I don’t know why people keep porting exploits for us. We are the most ungrateful bunch I have ever seen. It’s like toddlers “gimme gimme gimme!!”
    Total Noob, Qwikrazor87, Acid Snake, Wololo, The Z, Coldbird, and many many others. You’re all too good to us and I honestly have no idea why. Over the years I’ve seen the same attitude from these end users and I still wonder why these developers treat us so well.

10. psvh’s avatar

hello wololo i have a new vhbl work on the last fw 2.61 i have a video but iam asking you how to post it
    my e mail is sb201032@live.com sorry for my bad english

1. psvh’s avatar

i will tell everyone a game that you need for my new vhbl work on 2.61 just send me a message my email sb201032@live.com

11. psvh’s avatar

the game is as nitro

12. Dur’s avatar

D0ez t1s p14y 1$0z? 1 meen v1t4 i0ses not Sps is0z k1llzun 1s two epxenv1s5

13. xj107359’s avatar

Please tell us how much we should prepare .

14. ShadowNeto’s avatar

PSP KERNEL PLZZZZZZZZZ !

1. 110706’s avatar

Vita kernel yes!! i already have a fucking PSP!!

15. Xavier’s avatar

So it’s safe to update to 2.61?
    I tried to stay on 2.60 in hope of another exploit.

16. Brando’s avatar

Is the game to exploit really N20 Nitro? spending 6 bucks is a risk..

17. Nigga’s avatar

I bought this arcade game for my PS VITA because i thought there will be a TN-V set to release but until now still nothing . im thinking now maybe the developer and sony are one, they are only making some maney to boost their sales.

1. wololo’s avatar

Yeah, that makes perfect sense.

18. wwxiz66’s avatar

Please let me know,Tn-v4 will support psv2.60?

19. Mizu’s avatar

When Total_Noob’s exploit is released, shall it be compatible with earlier firmware (eg; Uno exploit)? Will it be kernal or VHBL? Can we play newer games than the firmware we have on it (firmware version spoofing)?

20. berrios30’s avatar

what happen to my posting it got taken a way and all I said was good things and it got removed

1. wololo’s avatar

Caching. Dont freak out and just reload the page :)

21. Hanky’s avatar

Hello can anyone help me with a problem in GPSP?
    I am not able to save games.
    and so closing the emulator of an error (c1-2858-3)
    anyone have any solutions?
    My exploit is Arcade Darts

22. OrphanTears’s avatar

this is mainly for the developer. I have an idea on how to install a custom OS onto the vita. I am not sure if this is possible but the vita downloads the update from the pan server. I know there are ways to mimick servers and redirect traffic flowing through a roughter. So my idea is when the next update comes out and by updating through the computer via ps vita emulator, maybe doing a virtual nand dump via ps vita emulator and tearing down the OS and rebuilding it as a customer then mimicking the psn server and update the target ps vita via wifi or through the computer…..just a thought…..i would really like this to be possible.