(Android) Make phone calls for free in the US and Canada

Note from wololo: This blog focuses mostly on video games, console hacking and programming. Once in a while we come up with something that’s slightly different from our “core themes”, such as the article below. Let us know in the comments if you’d like to see more of these… or if you’d rather not.

Do you use minutes on your phone and data on your tablet? Are you always worried about going over your minutes or want to use your tablet as a phone. Well I have the app for you it’s called Groove IP.

So what is Groove IP?

“GrooVe IP Lite, is an android app that that connects to Google Voice using Voice over IP (VoIP). What does this means for you. You can make free unlimited calls to any phone in the US or Canada without using your voice minutes. GrooVe IP Lite works on any android device, phone or tablet, and allows you to make calls using a WiFi data connection.

grove

If you have a smartphone with Wi-Fi connectivity but no mobile plan, you can use this app to convert it to a free, full-featured working phone. Upgrade to the full version of GrooVe IP (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.gvoip) to remove ads and enable features:

• - Calls over a mobile data connection not just WiFi
  • - Native dialer integration
  • - Proximity sensor support
  • - Change sign in status or sign in invisible

** NOTE ** Please ensure that your Google Voice account is associated with either a gmail or google apps account. To receive incoming calls you MUST go into your Google Voice account and forward calls to Google Chat.

** NOTE ** GrooVe IP Lite uses 1.2 MB per minute during a call.”

I know, Skype and other programs can do this but they charge. If you use Google voice without Groove Ip then it will use up your minutes, but it will use data when used to route calls through groove Ip. Not when you make phone calls with Google voice and decide to route calls through your phone number given by your carrier, it uses your minutes then; hence the use for Groove Ip.

Only texting thru Google voice solely uses data, but you also have the choice to opt to text through the carrier number using Google’s SMS applications, which will then use your texts unless you are unlimited.

In the end I hope Google allows the hangouts mobile app to make and receive calls just like I can on a PC, without the need for Groove ip.

Tags: , , ,

1. Hene193’s avatar

It’s really nice to see something else than Playstation news all the time :) Thank you.

1. ForsakenWulf’s avatar

Agreed! i like to see these posts.
      But i like to see informatative ones like this.
      This is actually useful and informative. There are some where its like people dont care because its not a practical thing they can use!

2. Chasez671’s avatar

I agree. These kinds of posts are interesting and very helpful!

2. Dallox’s avatar

I wish this was available in Europe.. :(

3. linkedot’s avatar

m already amazed by gooe chrome cast, they r really busy those googly guys ! thanks for the news

4. Lytera’s avatar

Is it just me or is this one of those apps sony should have put on the vita, free calls over wifi yes please.

5. NECROMANCER’s avatar

its not like we get alot of breaking news on the hacking scene everyday so its nice to have something to read while we wait for the next big hack

6. SsJVasto’s avatar

I use MagicJack

7. GottZ’s avatar

you do know voip is an inbound feature of android that does not require any app?

1. GottZ’s avatar

basicly all this app does is setting it up correctly.

8. BeastyX’s avatar

There’s also a solution for iPhone users, but only if your jailbroken. There’s a tweak you can get through Cydia called Google Voice Phone. It itergrares Google Voice into the iPhones phone module.

9. Renzo’s avatar

Doesn’t Google voice come preloaded in all android devices?

10. GuitaristMatt’s avatar

I’d like more of this kind of thing, but this specific one feels like an advertisement. I’ve used VoIP apps before and they are usually ok. There is major lag at times, and an horrible echo other times.

11. TelgarDrakore’s avatar

I think as long as this kind of thing is mixed in with the vita news which honestly is often pretty sparing in itself, then its fine to have off topic stuff like this one the website. Maybe 2-3 times a week have something off topic would be nice, just not every day.

12. John_Scott’s avatar

Why not just use Viber? it is on android and iOS.

1. No1sy B0y’s avatar

Can you call any Phone or just people with the Viber App?

13. giovanni’s avatar

Istn’t it just a slightly lighter version of “viber – free calls and messages” which is available for free on iOS and Android? If not I would have understood it wrong.

14. Theredbaron’s avatar

There is also a program called Talkatone : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.talkatone.android

I have used it for quite a while, and it does work nicely.

1. ricardo’s avatar

This!
      I use this app too. Very good.

2. fate6’s avatar

Sorry but I don’t deal with ads and that doesn’t even have the option of removing them

15. oO Flowzilla Oo’s avatar

This is pretty interesting. I’m bookmarking this.

16. xlovenuggetx’s avatar

i like seeing the other types of news. nice find.

17. jlo138’s avatar

I use google voice app for iOS. All you need is a gmail email and set up google voice from a PC. Then you can pick your phone number and its free calls and text through wifi. The receiver doesn’t even need the app. I used to use talkatone, but GV had better reviews and when I tried it the calls were clearer.

18. lowsnamebrand’s avatar

I love the android related posts, I would love to hear a review/feature on CyanogenMod maybe a history lesson it’d be a good read, especially for those who don’t know what it is

19. icyheart’s avatar

Thanks Iam From Saudi Arabia AND I want article like this more

20. Nate’s avatar

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!! Finally this app is getting the coverage it deserves! Iv’e been using this since February and I’d have to say overall saved me 5 arms and 6 legs, considering I do a lot of calling. Its a great app, and I’m glad I’m starting to see some good android stuff on here! :D

21. sudodmz’s avatar

Thought viber, tango & co are doing the same thing. Nice to have platform overlapping/independent news though