Killzone: Mercenary Public Beta Live

Get an early taste of the first “real”, console quality FPS for the Vita right now.

The Killzone; Mercenary Public Multiplayer beta just went live (in North America). Starting now, those who have PlayStation Plus or acquired beta codes from the PS Home E3 program can redeem the codes and jump in on the action right now. After that, on August 27th everyone else can gain access to the beta until it concludes on September 3rd.

I’ve already jumped in and have played a few games. Aside from the aiming which feels a little jerky which can be fixed later via an update, or with the available settings; its impressive. From just playing this beta, it already makes Call of Duty: Declassified look like a complete joke. The game is solid, and Guerrilla Cambridge have really set the bar high. The game’s fleshed out UI, progression system, lag free-bugfree online and console quality graphics really display the capabilities of the Vita’s hardware.

So far, it looks like it could be the Vita’s saving grace. If Sony can keep this up with more releases that follow in the steps of Killzone’s quality, the Vita will surely do very, very well.

Killzone: Mercenary releases on September 4th in EU, September 5th for Spain and Portugal, September 6th for UK, Ireland and Australia and North America gets it on September 10th.

1. hene193’s avatar

Omg so cool! Can’t wait to get it ^^

2. cry-baby’s avatar

i have this but sadly my connection NAT type is 3.. i already did everything for NAT 2 like port forwarding, dmz, etc., still NO LUCK..:(

1. Steven’s avatar

I have NAT type 3 and I can still play. Just keep trying to join a match till one works; patience my friend :)

2. adam young’s avatar

I have nat 2 and still cant get a game… i hate my internet

3. Obito’s avatar

Can’t believe a handheld is able to run this game. The last I had was a Game Boy, you know XD.

1. KirkD’s avatar

Obito, I feel the same way. Before I bought my Vita, the last portable console I owned was the Game Boy Color.

1. trey’s avatar

I can just imagine the nostalgia you’ve felt if you have used the Masterboy emulator on Vita!

4. SsJVasto’s avatar

I can’t find it in the Store… Where is it hiding?

1. 13pokerus’s avatar

you have to have a product code

2. Snake’s avatar

Read the article.

5. DovahJoe’s avatar

Were is it? I have been searching all morning for it

6. DovahJoe’s avatar

it says if your are ps plus yoiu can get it but I can’t find it ?!!

1. Jd8531’s avatar

If you have a code you can redeem it now, if you are PS Plus you may have to wait a little more for the store to update.

7. x-eye’s avatar

Ok ok i get it PS plus members get the five star treatment. Thass cool. Enjoy y’all. Rest of will just have to be patient lol. But it sounds like a blast!

1. x-eye’s avatar

Update: ok i just checked and yes indeed it ain’t there. Too bad cause i have a weeks worth of free internet; woulda dl in an instant. Whoosh

2. squiggs’s avatar

We get EARLY access because we pay to keep the servers open. If you learned how much it cost to run a server you would understand why the people who pay with out being forced get a few extras.

8. redsand’s avatar

Not in us store yet

9. compccs’s avatar

the beta is pretty sweet…graphically very very smooth and pretty… i havent played too much yet… damn battery lol … but i think it will be a awesome game all around on the vita and i cant wait to see more like this … like borderlands on vita :):)

1. compccs’s avatar

oh and i have a extra code since i got one in home at e3 and i have plus and got one emailed to me… if anyone is interested… hit me up on twitter…

1. Edzo’s avatar

i know! that was some of the most exciting gaming news ever for me. on a side note killzone mercenary is surprisingly awesome. really fun multiplayer, smooth framerate and incredible graphics for handheld. very impressed

10. jkoiou’s avatar

on 2.12 with vhbl but got the email with beta code… to update or not to update, that is the question… :( i know 2.60 vhbl will be coming out somewhat soon, but….

11. WizardibBlack’s avatar

ive practically played this nonstop since i got it! out of the 8+ matches i joined, the worst lag was where it seemed like a player went prone and just slid across the map as if he was being pulled by something fast. The only compaints i have are the crouch/sprint button. sometimes i want to crouch even if im moving and that gets me killed. also, when switching weapons its easy to accidentally throw a grenade. and this game massively drains my battery. but all of that is nothing compared to all of the right things they did with this game. I LOVE IT

1. WiardinBlack’s avatar

ps. i would buy a new battery expansion for my vita before i missed out on this! and maybe some triggers or something so my hand doesnt cramp up… but thats sony problem, not the devs.

12. TheTokBoks’s avatar

Well… If we want to play against the high and mighty Wololo, how may we do so?

(In other words, I want to play against you)

13. The Budds’s avatar

If you have playstation plus…wait till the store updates. For everyone else with a code, enter it and you’ll be able to download and play.

14. redsand’s avatar

beta is now on us PSN for ps+ members

1. Oreo’s avatar

Where do you see it?

1. Oreo’s avatar

Found it never mind.

15. DQEIGHT’s avatar

I accidentally wiped my iPod. With all my home codes, but I’m lucky I have ps plus. Now I just need the space.

1. Ryan86me’s avatar

It’s only 911 MB (it only has one map and one map, so that’s probably why), so it probably won’t be a problem.

1. Kyu’s avatar

Huh?US one?
        Because EU one is 1.3k-ish

16. Evo_ExiLe’s avatar

Yay since I have PS Plus I got it. So happy.

17. rvdscr’s avatar

I got the vita code in my email was like this

War is Our Business – Welcome to the Early Access Public Beta for Killzone: Mercenary
    Thank you for your participation in the early access public beta for Killzone™: Mercenary that begins on August 20th. To download the beta redeem the voucher code after the store update on August 20th.

But the problem is when I try to redeem the code it gives me a np-8128-9 error.Does anyone know about the error??

1. squiggs’s avatar

Wait for the store update

18. Ryan86me’s avatar

Played the living hell out of the beta today, it’s as awesome as everyone says. Definitely going to buy the game first day :D.

19. UraniumDude’s avatar

Hey, I can’t seem to activate mine. When I try to redeem the code they say the code is invalid.

20. Esude’s avatar

Here one of you can have this code for the early beta, since I have a PS+ membership: F8P6-K8N5-KNF6

21. NakedFaerie’s avatar

COD:D is the worst COD game ever. Its pathetic.
    The only reason I brought it as there was nothing else on the Vita worth getting and thats saying something.
    Well nothing else that I dont already own.

22. Logan’s avatar

@Esude

I just wanted to thank you a million times over my friend! I have been searching the internet for weeks on a Killzone Mercenary code and I happened to nab yours up just in time! I thank you for your generosity and may we meet on the battlefield:)

23. DovahJoe’s avatar

anybody els having major connection issues I can’t even get into a game and I’m NAT type 2 even in party it says either kicked or could not connect

24. alexyhoo’s avatar

another code for some1 who needs :D CPJD-AENJ-GR8C

25. rvscr’s avatar

Can anyone give me a extra eu region code

26. UraniumDude’s avatar

Is the beta only available for euro?

27. Chuck’s avatar

I have been searching for a few days now…. If anyone has a US beta code I would love to play!!!! You can hit me up on psn. My ID is KingCJ84. I owe my soul to whomever can deliver!

28. Z’s avatar

Lag free and bug free?

I’ve experienced a handful of bugs, which includes me getting stuck, not being able to knife, and a Vanguard capsule falling flat on it’s face instead of being upright.

And I’ve experienced more than a handful of lag. including not being able to kill a guy that is shooting at me, only to have him zip a few feet away, with his bullets STILL hitting me, causing me to die, and again, not being able to kill a player that’s not moving, only to have him disconnect a minute later.

I know this is just the beta, but you saying it is lag free and bug free is wrong.

1. Jd8531’s avatar

Ive clocked in over 8hrs now and haven’t had any issues.

1. Deagle275’s avatar

Agreed

29. manny’s avatar

i need a beta code gamertag is zeek360 please someone lol

30. wtfsony’s avatar

So if i’m with a UK account I can only participate with ps+?
    I got the code but when reedeming it I get the same error as anyone else… I don’t understand the point of the key if you can’t use it…

31. UraniumDude’s avatar

Using my brother psn account and it only works for US and EUR not asia.

32. Ellis’s avatar

I hope this is ok but I made a youtube video on how to hack in the Van guard in case any body is confused enjoy!

33. franzken’s avatar

i got the code on fb go to vita hub ite there im dwnlding it now on my vita but i live in asia can i play

34. lengi123’s avatar

6AM CT US on the 27th and still no access for non plus members :(

1. Johnny boy’s avatar

6pm gmt and no access wtF!

35. Jasveer Singh’s avatar

The screenshot of the map you put up isn’t even IN this open beta :p lol