Release Date for TN-V4/kexploit & OFW 2.60 Disables Increased Memory Support

After some analysis it seems the latest Psvita official 2.60 firmware update did a little more than we thought.

With exploits, the amount of RAM available to use was limited to us to use. However, back in firmware 2.10 Sony cleared up that availability, whether intentionally or unintentionally, it allowed us to use more than normal. After that update it was possible to use around 64MB. Its unfortunate however, that with the latest firmware that space that allowed us to use the extra RAM is no longer available. So the summation is that TN-V4 will not be able to support the increased memory for 2.60 and above. However, this feature will be available to those under 2.60 when Total_Noob releases the new version of his CEF TN-V later.

So this is something that you’ll need to consider if you are thinking of updating from a previously released kernel exploit. Now, depending how porting goes for the new kernel exploit release it is completely possible to use the new exploit on current user mode releases to be able to use said memory increase features.

As for an estimated release date on TN-V4 (and possibly a kernel exploit); Total_Noob says that it will most likely be after the launch of the PS4. There are two reasons for this. One, is that TN is very busy and needs time to work on the release and straighten everything out. Another, is that we will most likely see another official Vita firmware update before the launch of the PS4, and that will probably be a very big update. That update (which should be 3.00) will most likely incorporate features for the PS4 such as Remote Play. Waiting until after, is the best option. As for the release of the PS4, there hasn’t been any word on that yet but my best bet is to say around late October/November.

Either way until then there will be some other goodies, and announcements. So, as always check back!

1. dimighost’s avatar

excellent =]
    like someone said before about it
    very smart wait the biggest update for vita

thanks for hard word!

1. dimighost’s avatar

work*

1. The Kick’s avatar

*dick

1. negrodamus’s avatar

*is what you lick

2. Giorgio Tsoukalos’s avatar

*anal

2. zakaiya’s avatar

Damn im on 2.60 on both my vitas, gunna keep one official and the other on 2.60.

1. Sean’s avatar

Good for you.

3. cybermancha’s avatar

So if im on 2.12 can i update to 2.60 and still get the tn-v4 when it releases?

1. mlc’s avatar

“So if im on 2.12 can i update to 2.60 and still get the tn-v4 when it releases?”

Yes, but if you currently have a working VHBL then you won’t be able to use any homebrew until the release in a few months. Also, 2.12 will have the capability to use more homebrew (and perhaps better) than 2.60 due to the expanded memory. (64MB like a PSP Slim, instead of the 32MB like a Fat)

1. cybermancha’s avatar

Great. Thx for the clarification

1. mlc’s avatar

Oh, just in case my post was unclear, the 2.12 exploits will probably be available to you if you have a PS3, due to the OpenCMA trick. So even if you can’t get a 2.12 exploited game right now, staying on 2.12 might be more beneficial when you can transfer Gameocracy from a PS3 later. (assuming that you want the additional homebrew memory, instead of whatever Vita games require 2.60 minimum firmware)

4. Drake Jones’s avatar

Well, it sounds as if SOme oNY has took it back a step, Resolved an issue, then went forward a few steps. Some how you guys always out do them. Good luck and great work. Cant wait for the release.

5. mlc’s avatar

This article states that the expanded memory is only available on 2.10 to 2.12. TN seemed to indicate that it was merely most stable on 2.12, but would work on any exploit below 2.60. Does anyone know if this expanded memory will work on 1.81, 2.02, or 2.06? I’d definitely prefer to keep this Vita on 1.81 and just get another Vita whenever there are a lot of games I want, but I’ll probably have to update if the additional memory is only available on 2.12.

6. FishSticks’s avatar

YAY!

7. Max7731’s avatar

So I think I’ll stay in FW 2.12 in May is what the thing with open cma + PS3 still works?

And it must be my PS3 connect to PSN when I transfer the game?

8. wartaf’s avatar

well, i wonder, if TN-V4 will going to release soon? or is it gonna release on same date as that unknown kernel exploits? i wish, TN-V4 release first!! :D

1. Minimur12’s avatar

…….. It was said in the article that it will be released some time after the PS4 release date

9. JiachengWeng’s avatar

Thanks for all hackers!!!
    It’s really smart to release the kernel exploit after the launch of the PS4. PS Vita’s update at that time may last for a long time that allows us to enjoy bith kernel exploit and PSN service.

10. b2p1mp’s avatar

I assume the extra RAM will be accessed in another method eventually (for those on 2.60). That I cannot guarantee though. The extra RAM is just a bonus and do not let it bother you if you updated to 2.60. As for those on 2.12 or below: Pro Online “might” be possible on the Vita with certain games (many) and it would be so awesome that words cannot describe it.

1. Gunblade’s avatar

Vita still got four fifty sum thing of ram.? New firmware probly use chunk .think the flash is half way full still probly have to add the streaming function and the video app.. .? Watch red dawn once really wish Korea would invade….

11. china’s avatar

my God ! We need to wait 2 months?

I don’t have any vulnerability game now.!!! QAQ

1. Gunblade’s avatar

U can try get the older games depending on the firmware ur on

12. phil87700’s avatar

Its worth the wait.. will stay on 2.12 for while.. i simply added funds to my wallet so soon :-( ….
    You guys are really awesome…
    Looking forward to it.. want to play Exit2, Flatout Head-ON, Prinny 2, etc.. on my Red vita.
    Cheers

1. phil87700’s avatar

I also have a Green Vita…check this..

13. mangosteam’s avatar

well aslong as psp games and patches and ps one games runs smoothly and with sound ill update so i can also buy the newest vita games.. im not trying n64 and ds emulators anyway..

14. xj107359’s avatar

“Its unfortunate however, that with the latest firmware that space that allowed us to use the extra RAM is no longer available.”
    @_@ How bad will it be ? Will it be slow when run big PSP games like FF ?

15. AliFOJ’s avatar

So if we stay at 2.12 that is better then updating as TN-V4 will be better suited for 2.12. But the release is a little later then expected but honestly I wanted it late for some reason. Btw because I am new to this stuff so wanted to know how do we get this kernel exploit in Vita? By putting some save data into the VHBL or something like that?

16. Kamil’s avatar

I have a question about this release:
    1) I’m on 1.81 FW with Gravity Crash exploit, and I’m thinking about update to 2.60 and getting new kexploit. But I heard something about Sony blocked renaming files on FW 2.06 or something like that. Can any1 explain me what is that about?
    2) Recently my Vita started rebooting itself often with some numeric error (even if I wasn’t using VHBL) – the solution was to format memory card and reinstall FW. I succeeded activating my PS Vita by trick with transfering app from my PS3. BUT I red that this trick is working only on Open CMA 4.5, version 5.0 already blocked this trick. Is that mean that with updating to 2.60, when the new FW will be released I’m stuck and in any case I won’t be able to restore my PS Vita system, because there is no way to activate it?
    Thx for answering.

17. Lennyvita’s avatar

This is good, it pays to wait. if you already have an exploit its better to wait. Like most all consoles and systems the earlier the firmware the more open it is to exploits. You can always upgrade firmware but rarely able to downgrade.

for my 2.06 apache does 99% of what the latest vhbl exploit does. so why update? i dont care for $onys lack of games for the vita. So be happy with what firmware you got now and when Total Noob releases his TN-V4 and exploit, you will have the best options available. All the devs are working hard on VBHL and TN-V4, great work i thank you.

18. zakaiya’s avatar

I got two vitas and my cfw psp. So w.e happens im a happy camper. Ill stick stay on this 2.60with my other vita and update the other that way i can get the best of both worlds.

19. SWOLLEN BALL Z’s avatar

These hackers are corny no wonder why ps3 hackers laugh at this community.

1. YOU'RE A MORON’s avatar

GTFO.

20. schmief’s avatar

so TN CFW will work with the GOLOR exxploit? And also will I still be able to run homewbrews with this CFW?

1. Jd8531’s avatar

Depending on how porting goes it should, and yes you would be able to play homebrew.

21. User1’s avatar

What will be the point to wait until after the PS4 releases? What I mean is, how will be know if there will be increased Ram in the next firmware?

22. meler-andy’s avatar

the best way for us Noobs is to stay on 2.0.2 with uno(full mem) and tn v-2 and buy second vita for ps4 support :) i am considering my self to do that :D :(

23. meler-andy’s avatar

everything means …. if u wanna play backups and enjoy full memory in psp mode,and isos without any freezes stay on 2.0.2 uno kexploit,,i am goin to staty with it ,,and i dont care if i got to spend another 150 £ hope ther is better future for vita users without limits LoL :D (not possible)..when ps4 comes out big decision to make update or not …
    I am Saying Not :D

24. Jdub’s avatar

Hmmm….that’s disappointing considering I just let go of my uno exploit to update and play dragon’s crown (which is so totally worth it btw). But beggers can’t be choosers. I know you guys will be able to pull some strings with some hard work, and you guys always work hard. Thanks!!

25. Techni Myoko’s avatar

“That update (which should be 3.00) will most likely incorporate features for the PS4 such as Remote Play. ”

We’ve had that in PSP since the day PS3 launched… RemotePlay is identical on Vita…

26. whackm’s avatar

Hey All, what about firmware 2.11. Should I do a partial upgrade to 2.12?

1. Jd8531’s avatar

You dont have to, but you can.

27. ken2guy’s avatar

no dont update

Only update if you want acess to PSN, current games that need OFW 2.60

i for 1 will stay at 2.10 <3

28. Jimmy’s avatar

What I don’t understand is what does the extra memory do? What is the difference in practice with this the memory loss?

1. Jd8531’s avatar

It allows for better compatibility with homebrew (including faster loading) and better compatibilty with ISOs. Things run a lot better, but its not drastic.

29. phil87700’s avatar

Somebody please tell me.
    Im on VHBL – GOLOR 2.12 Vita… Will i need a PS3 when this TN-V expolit is ported to GOLOR-VHBL.??????
    Please reply…coz im planning to sell my PS3…

1. Jd8531’s avatar

As long as the game is already on your Vita, no you will not.

30. antonio’s avatar

What about the exploit arcade darts? Could it impact the TNV4 release?