PSVITA Mandatory OFW 2.60 Now Live

Sony has just released PlayStation Vita Official Firmware 2.60 with a slew of changes including some security changes that you need to know about.

The new mandatory firmware that is now live implements a pretty hefty change-log with some security fixes that, as you could predict, blocks VHBL using the Gamocracy One: Legend of Robot exploit.

The full change-log for OFW 2.60 includes the following:

• There is a new option in settings, called “device” and the Bluetooth settings have been moved to this new option.
  • The Content Manager and the Photo App got a new surrounding picture, when you are about to launch them.
  • A new PC CMA version is necessary, but its still possible to apply OpenCMA r5 for this new CMA. Just update it (or delete the entire folder and start fresh) and then reapply the Open CMA patch.
  • Toggles have been added to the screen, when you keep the PS-Button pressed.
    • They’ve also added a settings tab for older games, which is exactly the same, as if you keep the screen pressed while playing an older game.
  • Added a new “PS+ Icon” on top of some games, so you can easily manage your savedata with the online cloud (PS+ subscription necessary).
  • You can now launch and listen to / watch content, that is on the devices, that are connected to the PS Vita. So you can listen to music / watch videos of a PS3/PC without transferring them.

In terms of security fixes, more analysis will be needed to see whats under the hood but so far we can confirm the following:

• Sony has fixed exploits (VHBL), fixed some tricks for the homebrew-community.
  • Sony fixed the “rename the GAME folder and put content in it” trick, so its now impossible to put new non-PSN content into the /GAME/ folder.
    • A new folder, e.g. /PSP/ECFW/ would be recommended for future kxploit usage, similar to the /PSP/VHBL/ folder for the VHBL homebrews.
  • It is still possible to launch homebrews, but the Gamocracy exploit is fixed.

Good news is that VHBL can still run, as my private exploit and The Z’s still work on 2.60, so at least Sony hasn’t done anything too drastic. As you can see there is a lot to consider if you’re wanting to update, but if you’d like to stay on a lower firmware you can, however you will not have access to PSN or other related Online features. Remember that you can use my guide if you are on a lower firmware to do a lot of things including getting VHBL for 2.12  if you have a PS3, when Gameocracy is put back on PSN.

Stay tuned for more information!

1. Sergio’s avatar

OMG, sad notice, because I want to update, but I dont want lose my exploit !

1. IXia’s avatar

updated mine, i don’t using VHBL too much anyway

2. pkmaximum’s avatar

I know how you feel, Dragon’s Crown is coming out tomorrow and I’m seriously tempted to upgrade, but having TN-V is too awesome. Ahhhh!!!

1. SMOKE’s avatar

TN-V isnt going to be ported to this exploit.

1. exodus’s avatar

how do you know that? :0

1. D-TeK-DeV’s avatar

Cause it’s not a Kexploit…..

2. Tnutbutter’s avatar

Turned my vita on to transfer content and this update caught me off guard.

1. wololo’s avatar

Should still be possible, if you reboot, and install openCMA, to *not* have to do the update

1. Tnutbutter’s avatar

I’m fine with updating. The ability to stream directly from my pc interested me.

2. Vegas Ace’s avatar

Ive tried the cma patch and still my vita asks to update wont let me transfer anything

3. icyheart’s avatar

We want Kernel exploit on 2.12 and psx with a sound …

1. mikee’s avatar

Ignore this as$.

1. abdou005’s avatar

+1 he is asking us as if we work in his farm BAKA xD

1. DQEight’s avatar

He’s been playing toro’s friend network (Slaveowner Simulator 2013)too much.

4. man_of_power05’s avatar

here’s hoping they fix the store bug. if you don’t know what i mean one sentence: “preparing to download”

1. D-TeK-DeV’s avatar

I hate that! And then when you try to exit the screen by pressing the PS button, it tells you that the action can’t be done.

2. Avbusta’s avatar

Oh I know what you mean my friend my only solution to that is restarting my vita :P It gets very annoying

3. x-eye’s avatar

Thought this only happened to me!

5. IXia’s avatar

still not DLNA compliant right ?

1. Jd8531’s avatar

If you mean the streaming media thing, right.

6. rafael707’s avatar

Maybe Its time to update from 2.02 and lose TN-V… nah just trolling I dont think its still worth updatin

7. Nick’s avatar

So can the exploit still work ?? And am I able to transfer games still? I’m sorry I am very new at this I really need help Thanks!!

1. Jd8531’s avatar

No. VHBL using Gameocracy on 2.12 does not work. You can still transfer games as normal.

1. Jd8531’s avatar

Let me clarify; the exploit does not work if you update.

8. Nick’s avatar

Will the exploit still work and can we sill transfer games?

9. Vitality’s avatar

If I want to update the firmware, how to delete every homebrew contents in my storage? Right now, I have tons of GBC and NES rom games inside, but I’m pretty sure I could not delete all those ROMS file after updating, other than formatting the card.

1. D-TeK-DeV’s avatar

Try using the “Xplora PSP homebrew” app. I PSP Filer is better, but there’s been rumors that it doesn’t work on this HBL.

10. phil87700’s avatar

OGM! Let me Toss on this! … Oh k im saying on 2.12 for some while… ;-)

11. SakkeMO’s avatar

I let it to update, streaming from pc to vita is something i wanted for a long time, haven’t used much of vhbl since i still have a PSP Slim with 6.60 pro.
    And top of that i have lots of games on PSN and PS+

12. theinfuser599’s avatar

CHECK COBRA ODE THEIR GOING TO RELEASE THIS WEEK

1. somthing something something light side’s avatar

Offtopic but i no, im getting one, worndering if i can enable remote paly form vita on it

1. theinfuser599’s avatar

I hope so if it does I’m getting it but if you where playing a game like bo 2 you might not be able to have a mic but I’m know I’m getting it

2. DQEight’s avatar

as long as you can access and edit param.sfo, it should be possible

1. somthing something something light side’s avatar

you can edit the param.sfo so yea you can, i check this out

13. Eligio’s avatar

How do i get in on this ninja release? I missed out last time.

14. stOneskull’s avatar

i like this update..

especially being able to watch video off my pc

15. Kyu’s avatar

…?
    From 2.1 to 2.6?
    Damn those firmware numbers.

16. Sky Yuki’s avatar

I update it straight away
    Because Gamocracy robot is not available in my country

Too bad even new firmware still nothing new in store

17. ASSitch’s avatar

its not worth updating especially if you have a cfw ps3 that can do whatever it is you can do off the vita.
    Minus playing vita games lol.Soon we will see coldbirds tn collab and once again will be able to use our own bought software on the vita without the scam of rebuying what you already own fuk u SONY!

18. BVWeirdo’s avatar

Finally they’ve added anti-aliasing to the homescreen bubbles.

1. Razor’s avatar

Must have taken a year to get this done.

19. x-eye’s avatar

Meh. I really got into the whole scene when i was into psp; even though i don’t know anything about hacking/programming it still felt kind of cool going online, reading all the forum posts, faqs, instructions etc and then implementing them. Now i find i just don’t have the energy any more. I’ve noticed some of the stuff HBers were doing eg the ability to play music while playing games, has been implemented on vita. So Sony got the idea from the hackers, but did they say ‘thanks’ or even acknowledged them? No. Instead like the rest of the software industry they continue to treat these talented people with scorn and contempt. Never mind that they are helping to harness the potential of the product and increase its popularity, they’re still treated like scum of the earth. Bad I-karma if you ask me. Anyway i think i will update even though i bought (and enjoyed) gamocracy. And even though they’ve given us zip in this update. I just don’t care anymore…

1. fatman0`912’s avatar

You’re right and also it seems like PS Vita homebrew devs are the ones pushing Sony to make a new firmware. New firmwares only come out it seems when VHBL or E-CFW has been released. I will wait to update until Killzone Mercenary comes out!

20. NNNRT’s avatar

Not available yet in some regions including mine.

21. isnizal’s avatar

i am dying…

22. x-eye’s avatar

So Sony what about:

The ability to add ‘read later’ Web pages in the browser

Improved browser functionality and speed.

A file manager so i can tell what’s gobbling all the space on my memory card.

The ability to create folders for music and videos and rename files including pictures.

Callender, word processor calculator app

A real equalizer including normalizer like psp had.

…and other issues

Are we being to greedy Sony? Does any or all of the aforementioned compromise the security of the device? Or is the vita another “experiment” like pspgo? Or maybe you guy’s really don’t care about your customers as has been suggested on other occasions.

I’m just saying…

23. Liviu’s avatar

Should I update?

1. phil87700’s avatar

Warning!!! it might paralyze your VHBL permanently..;-)

24. be0ut’s avatar

We wait for a new firmware to release exploit lol Sony waits for an exploit to release a new firmware

25. Jdub’s avatar

Must be strong. Mustn’t update to play Dragon Crown…
    No! Must play dragon crown! No wait, must keep my ability to play psp Isos. OMG! This is gonna take some willpower.
    I hope there is a new K exploit in the works cuz I dont know how much longer I can hold out.

1. poec’s avatar

Buy a psp, or buy the game from ps3, problem solved….

26. ReapersRage’s avatar

Also, the low battery notification flashes about 4 times instead of one time, I don’t remember seeing this in the prior firmware unless I don’t pay attention that much to it :P

27. GuitaristMatt’s avatar

You forgot the anti-aliasing of the bubbles!

28. Razor’s avatar

Features doesn’t sound much for an upgrade.
    I wonder what these Sony guys are doing, why can’t they give some real good apps and settings and stuffs to make the Vita alive n exciting ? X(

29. kojo a gen’s avatar

is patapon 2 a vhbl

30. UraniumDude’s avatar

Update mine because of Killzone Mercenaries.

31. Vegas Ace’s avatar

Why is it that I cannot transfer with CMA it asks to update system why is that?

32. Ar’s avatar

Help! me i am on firmware 1.81 and accidentally i factory restored my PSV ,now i cant access my memory card cause it ask me to go on PSN and PSN says to update..

1. fate6’s avatar

If you transfer something from a PS3 it will activate the Vita
      To get past the update screen just plug in the Vita to OpenCMA on PC then disconect it and connect to the PS3 without closing the CMA app on the Vita

1. Ar’s avatar

i don’t have a PS3 any other options ?

1. fate6’s avatar

Nope sorry

2. Ar’s avatar

plzz help me i don’t want to update my psv and format my PSV 16gb memory card its full of homebrew and psp games :S

33. Vegas Ace’s avatar

Why is it that I cannot transfer with CMA it asks to update system why is that????????????????????????????

34. Vegas Ace’s avatar

Why is it that I cannot transfer with CMA it asks to update system why is that?HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

35. Ar’s avatar

i updated to 2.60 Sony your shirty security sucks and i am going to sale my Vita for sure ..

1. lennyvita’s avatar

i would still keep the vita, there may be a future exploit and it will only get better. hang on to that vita, even sony is improving its features. there will be another exploit in time and then you can have the best of both worlds. it will be always a toss up. exploit or full sony psn update and access, atleast sony are adding features despite people disagreeing. for me i am happy with the exploit, dont care for psn access. my ps3 is for that.

36. schmief’s avatar

lol opencma doesn’t even work. every time i use it it says to update the vita firmware. at least i got a bunch of homebrews before it was too late.

1. Vegas Ace’s avatar

i have same problem.

37. JiachengWeng’s avatar

I predict that SONY had already developed the update and just waited the release of VHBL so that they could block it immediately. Maybe SONY has finished the next version of the frameware~^_^
    In addition, there is a slection device in the setting. I guess that there will be some extra device like HD camera and flash or TV output cable. That mystarious outer joint on the top of the Vita can finally be used!!!

38. LaidBackBlack’s avatar

I am still using the uno exploit.

39. owanef’s avatar

Ny is so smart. They wait until a vhbl has been released then the y send out a update with features wee can’t resist just to teap us in lol.

40. Eduardo’s avatar

Excuseme how can i connect to the PSN if im on 2.12 firware using the charles proxy

1. Jd8531’s avatar

You cant, that doesnt work anymore.

41. ?!?’s avatar

Where is coldbird?

42. Thrawn’s avatar

Did anybody read that? Is something slowly crawling up to the surface of the psp/vitas scene? Has somebody with a kernel exploit thought of preparing to release it? Just speculating about that sentence.

“A new folder, e.g. /PSP/ECFW/ would be recommended for future kxploit usage, similar to the /PSP/VHBL/ folder for the VHBL homebrews.”

43. filodude’s avatar

I am going to stick with staying on 1.81 enjoying playing MHP2G/MHFU on adhocparty

44. jayyyy’s avatar

Wololo, if you press Square in the browser a pointer appears. Like of a mouse on the psp or ps3…its pretty cool…idk if there’s copy paste or anything im still playin with it :p

45. Crimson’s avatar

CMA does work IF connected to the internet ONCE. Tried it myself & when the next time i opened my laptop without internet connection & plug-in my vita, doesn’t work when trying to copy pictures offline :/

46. PsVitaAddict’s avatar

dude i will ask you a question, If i hack my vita (hack that will allow me to play PSP games on my PS VITA ) -> can I still play PS VITA games ? (the one i have bought )

thanks !

47. PsVitaAddict’s avatar

Is there a way i can downgrade my PS VITA ?
    2.60 -> 2.12 or something

48. PsVitaAddict’s avatar

what is the best PS Vita game worth buying ?

hehe , cause soon i can buy myself a vita game :)