More petitions regarding the Xbox One… Bring back DRM and other restrictive policies?

Now here’s a strange turn of events. After all that complaining about the DRM and enforced internet connection, there is now a petition to actually bring back the ridiculous policies that Microsoft had planned to release on the Xbox One.

Here’s the thing though; it’s not only Xbox fans who are signing this petition which now almost twenty thousand signatures (Yes, TWENTY THOUSAND people who actually want DRM). Many PlayStation fans are also signing this leaving negative comments such as about how this will make the Xbox a worse console, and the PS4 even better.

The petition reads:

This was to be the future of entertainment. A new wave of gaming where you could buy games digitally, then trade, share or sell those digital licenses. Essentially, it was Steam for Xbox. But consumers were uninformed, and railed against it, and it was taken away because Sony took advantage of consumers uncertainty.

We want this back. It can’t be all or nothing, there must be a compromise.

Personally, I find it all rather amusing. All the uproar regarding the Xbox One’s DRM. So many people complaining all over their Facebook page, on twitter and literally everywhere I looked gaming related someone was complaining about the Xbox One. We get what we want, and suddenly it’s like “NO, LET’S GET THOSE POLICIES BACK”. What I find most amusing about all this though is that there are so many Sony dare I say it? “Fan boys” complaining about the Xbox and using the DRM as their main reason why the Xbox was a bad console, yet they seem to forget that Sony also planned to include many of these policies on the PlayStation 4.

What do you think about all of this? Should the Xbox One have it’s DRM and enforced internet connections? Should the PlayStation 4 for that matter?

Disclaimer: I understand there are many people who feel strongly about either console and my use of the term “fan boy” was probably not the best, but this post was not intended to cause any form of animosity. Please also note that I do my best not to have any form of bias about these two consoles, as I won’t be purchasing either.

Tags:

1. kopko’s avatar

I think this is just troll from playstation fans. IT HAS TO BE lol..

1. Minimur12’s avatar

it started off to be a true petition, but PS fans started to sign it

1. MarSprite’s avatar

I’m not going to sign it, I actually want an xbox one eventually. DRM is lame when it hurts the consumer.

2. JeoWay’s avatar

Of course I signed this a while back :D

Why? I would love to see Xbox go down harder :)

1. Riku’s avatar

See, that’s retarded. Competition is a good thing, if there’s no competition then they have no reason to improve. Stop slowing progress

2. Thrawn’s avatar

Uhm no good decision.
      If the competition becomes weaker, the prices of actual hardware and software become “harder” meaning there is little fluctuation, so a company like sony would be animated to hold their prices cause they can charge it. Due to the fact the competition is weak.

3. Davee’s avatar

This guy probably cuddles his Sony products at night.

1. Dmaskell92’s avatar

I respect JeoWay for speaking his mind, I would gladly sign this petition. That could hinder the sales of the Xbox One. It would only be slight payback for the way Microsoft screwed me over time, and time again.

1. james way’s avatar

That’s ironic…respect JeoWay’s speaking of his mind, but please let’s not respect Davee’s. Thrawn’s and Riku’s. One it is malicious and two IT DOES have consequences on the future of console gaming. The competition drives each other to make themselves better, make better games, improve games and features. If only Sony existed or maybe two consoles only, then you’d be stuck with what THEY choose to give you. Perfect example the Vita. You got the Vita and the 3DS/DS. Both completely different markets though, so for the “gamer” market, just the Vita. Thus we ended up with a sandboxed system with 3G not 4G, promised features that we got late, got half what was promised or will never get until the PS4.

2. JeoWay’s avatar

How did you know Davee!?

My PS3 cant stay away from me :D

3. shadowknight1620’s avatar

I have actually cought myself doing that lol

1. stOneskull’s avatar

the warming glow of your vita..

4. rubnvdub’s avatar

you’re a retard.

3. anthony’s avatar

Microsoft: here is our new console you cant use use games and it has a 24 hour online check

Gamers: that’s BS change it

Microsoft: …well fine here we will take away the no used games and the 24 hour online check

Gamers: change it back

Microsoft: you mother f**kers

lol just a comment someone posted that i wanted to share.

4. anthony’s avatar

*used

5. kuagelo’s avatar

Haven’t read the petition yet, but I guess they could bring back the non-crazy parts of the policy, if they really wanted to. I mean, check-in every 24 hours? Really?

6. gunblade’s avatar

well i had no problem with the 24 check in herd was for games updates n patches think they download in the back ground wen system was in stand..n if ur playing online 24/7 24 hour check in be no problem unless u have no internet… the online passes was the only thing i dident like much…

7. Chuckthetekkie’s avatar

My original 4 complaints about the Xbox One are:

1. Stupid name
    2. Can’t play 360 games (MS said a fews ago it would)
    3. Mandatory Kinect
    4. Always online or no games

Now it’s the 1st 3.

I won’t even consider an Xbox One unless I can use the system with the Kinect device unplugged from the console. With Microsoft’s partnership with the NSA, they may secretly turn on Kinect and record even if you have set Kinect to be disabled. Until Kinect doesn’t have to be plugged in, I won’t even consider an Xbox One.

1. Z’s avatar

One of you’re biggest complaints is the name? Seriously?

1. MarSprite’s avatar

It IS a stupid name. WiiU is a more idiotic name though.

1. Kyu’s avatar

WEEEOOOOU

2. stOneskull’s avatar

wii u was the worst name, for sure.. nintendo should have come up with a totally new name for it

1. DrDOA’s avatar

A blanket can stop that :3

8. CaptainJackSwallows’s avatar

My opinion on the xbone is

bring back the supposedly “steam” of the xbone
    but don’t implement the 24hour online check in.

Or if its possible, they could sell an xbox one(DRM Version)
    and xbox one (non DRM version)

I don’t know shit how they run their business, so there’s my opinion.

1. Brandon Miller’s avatar

EXATCLY WHAT I THOUGHT, YOURE GENIUS

9. Thrawn’s avatar

Uhm wtf is going on, I mean wtf?
    Is the xbox community really that dumb? They would have never gotten that feature for reselling, sharing or treading their bought licenses.
    BASTA.
    Not even steam allows that.
    Why should microsoft allow reselling, sharing or trading on their platform, that destroys the market prices of the products and scares producers away.
    If they would have implemented that, than everything would be different, but they didn’t intend to do it that way.
    Every license is and was a one time buy without refunds.

1. the3’s avatar

Yeah really who is gonna pay full price for someone elses licenses the who pupose in reselling used games is to make them cheaper but a digital only xbox 1 could be a hackers dream and get raped worse then the psp did. I say make 2 versions one that only dose digital and has to be online and 1 that does br and no hdd that has no network connection then every one is happy

1. the3’s avatar

And only 20k ppl out of the 5to20mill ppl that will buy in the first few years aint much prob just the few hoping the 24hr drm check will defer piracy

1. DrDOA’s avatar

Again. Majority of PS fans are signing it. They want to see Xbox burn up in flames for some reason. That’s unfair and that’s sabotage. I mean, PS fans wouldn’t like it if the petition was to bring DRM to the PS4, would they?

10. Alex’s avatar

Who knows, It could have been a good console. The problem is, they failed to deliver the console correctly, fans didn’t understand what these features would mean, how it could benefit gaming, only the negitives.

1. Alex’s avatar

*negatives

11. Anthony’s avatar

bringing back drm will make xbox one better

12. zorrodood’s avatar

this is so immature on both sides. if there’s a game on xbox one that i wanna play then i have to buy the console regardless.
    btw wasn’t the ps4 supposed to have a fancier name than ‘ps4′?

1. tinostar91’s avatar

Why do you think so? It’s 4th Playstation then why not Playstation 4?

btw. number 4 is in Japan considered as lucky

1. Akutare’s avatar

It is unlucky, as it sounds like the word for death.
        From what I am given to understand it is less prominent now, but in the past, buildings would even be built with the fourth floor being skipped, and being named the fifth.

1. Thrawn’s avatar

Omfg XD watch out when the psFOUR will be available in SNOWWHITE!!!
          Nippon makebelieve i love it :)

2. HayAnonynony’s avatar

Wrong base language.

In Chinese 4 is “si” which also means death. Technically it should be lucky because it’s formed of two pairs (2s). The Japanese ‘borrow’ those same words in their own language, so naturally, the superstitions have carried across.

And yes, it’s not unusual for traditional buildings to be missing a fourth floor (or not exceed three stories) and properties numbered 4 are cheaper (or non-existent) on most streets. Even heavens stairs on the great wall has a double rise so it totals 443 instead of 444 (because that would be REALLY bad).

Sorry, I’m rambling.

3. Chasez671’s avatar

I think they changed the word for “4″ from being “Shi” to “Yon”. At least that’s what I was told.

1. Someone’s avatar

No, you can use both. It’s just that sometimes it sounds weird when you use one of the two. Like 7 is also “nana” or “shichi”. And yeah, shi means death xD

2. minimur is gay’s avatar

So…the Xbox one is the 2nd Xbox does that mean it should be called Xbox 2?!?!?!?!? =°X

1. tinostar91’s avatar

I’ve just replied to his comment that I don’t see any problem with naming 4th Playstation as PS4, nothing else

btw. it’s 3rd xbox

1. Thrawn’s avatar

Omfg nippon people are just so uncreative. :)
            Tthey could have called it the Quadstation.
            Or psIV or ps cuatro or ps quattro … they don’t need to name it with a 4 they could make a roundabout.
            The vita wasn’t named psp2, it got its own name.

2. thediamante’s avatar

its the 3rd xbox already.

3. thediamante’s avatar

Actually they had a problem naming it Playstation4, because the number 4 is unlucky in japan.

But they agreed to name it ps4 because it would be impractical to give it another name. As it is the 4th playstation.

@zorrodood I think you confused the project name with the actual name of the ps4. “Orbis” is just a project code/name or some shit.

13. compccs’s avatar

I come down on this like this. .. sure both consoles have positives and negatives but what has separated them thus far is the initial announcement and delivery of that announcement. I mean we really know very little of both consoles and the public hasn’t had a real good look at them to decide. Now where it seemed to go wrong for Microsoft was what they decided to show first and their general attitude about this new piece of hardware. I think marketing at Microsoft needs some real work and not just for their Xbox division which I guess might happen with this whole restructuring idea they have now which is a problem of it’s own. Sony decided to play on the strengths of the hardware and hope that’s enough for now till they decide where to go from there. I think it seemed to work for them plus making a mockery of their competition which I guess is part of the game in this industry. I just hope Microsoft gets their act together or Xbox will be the least of their worries… As for Sony let’s just hope their console works as well and magical as they say it does or I’m sure you’ll see angry fans coming from a different direction. Both companies aren’t living the high life right now so I think either side to act like they know what’s best is ludicrous. But I guess in the end it comes down to … build it they will come

14. svenn’s avatar

Honestly, internet always on is just a console aka 2013; Most games need internet connection aswell … ’bout DRM or policy; while Sony might be the friend of the gamers, the company’s making games only do it for money, and if XONE is more strict they will be more reluctant to make games for XONE;

As to those “check-ins” well, I think its a marketing failure; I assume this is linked to the software, a console will “catch” the user data for around 1 day, so you will need to login every day to access your user data, that is implemented in every game; Lets say username, your funny avatar, ect ect. Thought to consumers this is like you need to tick a clock to be able to game … bad marketing.

As to who has the best console, purely spec there non-comparable; They are very alike, and the difference in performance variate on the game and other factors; Fact is, that 99% of performance is based on the game maker and not on the console itself;

I’m not a fan of Xbox nor Sony and I don’t plan buying any of those consoles; (I’m a PC user)

1. MarSprite’s avatar

99%? you say you’re a PC user and you disregard hardware limitations? I’ll admit you can make wonderful software for inferior hardware, but there are limits. If you surpass those limits, it’s going to take better hardware to pull it off, or you’re going to have to cut corners. That said, from what I’ve seen of the specs they seem very similar.

15. ViRGE’s avatar

I thought I was the only one that thought this way, so actually I’m a bit relieved I’m not the only one.

I actually liked most of what Microsoft had proposed with their original DRM scheme for the XB1. Full installs with no need to put the disc in to play the game? The ability to give away/resell digital titles? The former isn’t done for any console today, and even Steam doesn’t allow the latter. When everything else is wireless on these consoles, that’s a big step up from having to keep track of your discs and dinking with the console to swap them out.

Of course DRM is a continuum, so this is a tradeoff. The 24 hour check-in policy is clearly the tradeoff to discless games. It’s how you make sure a game is no longer being played when the game has been sold, and to keep from having a large number of people playing off of the same copy at the same time (i.e. buy a disc copy and share it with your friends). You can’t have the ability to sell games in this manner without a way to revoke that license on each console, which requires the check in.

But you know what? I have a broadband Internet connection. So while the 24 hour check-in isn’t convenient by any definition of the word, at the same time it would have no negative impact on me. I’m already “always on” anyhow – it’s not as if my non-handheld consoles go anywhere – so this was never a big deal for me. A 24 hour check-in as a tradeoff for being able to go discless and sell digital games (not to mention screwing over Gamestop) was well worth it.

That said I do see the point of those on the other side. Not everyone has a broadband connection (though I don’t know anyone who plays games without some kind of Internet connection), and quite frankly a big change like this really is scary. Something like this would improve the experience for the vast majority of users, I believe, but certainly there’s nothing Microsoft could do that would make things better for and/or satisfy everyone at the same time.

Finally, as a point of pedantry, DRM is a continuum. What Microsoft was proposing wasn’t “DRM” as if the concept has a singular form and implementation. Even the current scheme used for the PS3, 360, and the latest plan for the XB1 is still DRM, just at the other end of that continuum. In fact disc based DRM is basically the original DRM, as implemented way back when in the era where hard drives became common and games could be installed rather than running off of floppy disks. Consequently Microsoft’s original proposal is no more or less DRM than their current proposal, so it’s disingenuous to say that people want MS to “bring back” DRM. You’ve had it since the very first Xbox.

16. tinostar91’s avatar

Many xbox fans still think that MS took down their DRM policy just because of gamers but I don’t think so, imo they did it because of money, as always. I really don’t think that in case there will be no PS4 they will take it down. It takes 1 update to remove it, how many updates would it require to bring it back?

1. ndh777’s avatar

That is the same principle. Fans = Paying customers. If their fanbase hated the product, chances are high that the sales will plummet because if fans won’t verbally support a product, why would they spend their hard-earned money on the product?

17. Crzylegz’s avatar

For all the brain dead “Fan Boys” signing this petition just shows how ignorant you are. Think about this, as “Gamers” why would we want only one home system to play? Let me guess “Because PS is better” , thought you say that. As being gamers it’s all about the experience, the story, the connection, that makes a game great. Yes we have our opinions about which systems reigns suprem, but to completly try to cripple a console that has brought us “Fun” cause that’s what it’s about is absolutely absurd. You should be ashamed as “Gamers”. I own and play all systems because There is to much fun to be had.

1. Kyu’s avatar

PC es numero uno.

18. zerobacker’s avatar

Xbox One suck,,
    nsa, FBI, white house, i washing you gamer,
    i see your move in you home fuck MICROSOFT
    DRM
    DRM
    DRM

1. Bob’s avatar

What in the fuck was that?

19. SSJ-Vita’s avatar

I actually want both ps4 and xbox3 to fall on their face but only in the proprietary sense, not at the expense of the end users experience and causing them to have less fun. Pretty much everyone at one point or another has been shafted and almost no platform has bragging rights of a history of making the end users experience better, usually more complicating. Eeh maybe I’m a dead wrong negative nancy who knows.

20. Kyu’s avatar

Why not have a few of both…
    Like,proceed as planned,but removing the forced features (always online,forced Kinect) and tweaking the planned “No used games” to something that needs the game be “activated” on a console locally or sth and then “de-activating” it for when you want to pawn it (it makes no actual sense at all though).

21. NNNRT’s avatar

When signing the petition, I put the reason as “Because this makes it look new, not like all other consoles.” :lol:

22. ken’s avatar

I assume the “this” and “it” in the petition meant the DRM feature. But I thought the purpose of DRM is to prevent you from trade, share or sell the games you bought, is it not?

“consumers were uninformed” 100% true.

23. Ryan’s avatar

People just need something to make a stink about. We don’t know what will happen until it comes out anyway. – Peace

24. Dragonxtamer596’s avatar

The thing I find the most funny is all the ps fan boys/girls who ride ps’s d all day long. Most Xbox fans aren’t rude enough to tell you all the issues Sony faces day in and out. I have all the consoles up to date so I can actually express this. All consoles have pros and cons. A few from each ps- pro free online, you can use real avatar to play games with, cheap blue ray player, good series of games. Cons- it can melt, light on fire my first ps3 model did this, yellow dot, security can be iffy, most games resell at new price changing over to a newer console. Xbox- pros- unique indie development, good games series. Cons- pay for online if your poor its a con, red eye. Wii- unique mii creation play games with them, multitasking watch movies and play games, fun classic video game series (Pokemon, Zelda, Mario). Cons- they need more uniques game series, online is a bit scetchy, they come out with handhelds to fast.

1. Thrawn’s avatar

I’m with you, each console has it’s own pros and cons. Now making one of those look like a bad choice is not good for competition and reselling prices nor new buy.

25. Anonymous’s avatar

What are people thinking?
    Do they do this just to screw Microsoft now?

26. Lawliet156’s avatar

Eff DRM, just sell the Xbox One without a Kinect and Im sold

27. Warlord698’s avatar

they only need to bring back certain policies, and only to the DIGITAL side, make it more of a dual format system (kinda like the PS3 is now, but better). The trading, family/friend sharing, that can all be done with digital, all the while leaving the physical format the way it is now

then they would each have their upsides downsides depending on the situation.

live out in the boonies and you don’t have a reliable internet source to connect and wait for all your licenses to renew (or wait over a week for a game to download), or just wanna be able to take your game anywhere and play it right then and there (traveling or a gaming party somewhere) go physical.

live where you have a GREAT (it would really have to be) internet connection have plenty of friends/family on Live that you want to share with/want to share with you, go digital

28. DrDOA’s avatar

I actually like the people on this site. There are barely any blinded fanboys who just hate each console neither any PC Master Race people who just say PC rocks etc etc. You all are really mature. Speaking of maturity. I was absolutely horrified at E3. So they went to show the reboot or remake of “Killer Instinct” and everyone was happy with the trailer and a bit hyped. Then everyone all of a sudden booed for it being an Xbox One exclusive. I’m glad people on this site are not immature. But about the Xbox One petition. I have a feeling the “Blinded Fanboys” like I said before that are on the PS side are really the ones signing it. They want to see the Xbox One Burn up in flames. I dislike it very much and they are being very disrespectful. This site is the opposite and give sane opinions on each console with both of them including pros and cons of each console. Too bad everyone can’t be like that.

1. DrDOA’s avatar

Sorry. I mean Evo 2013.

29. OGManBro’s avatar

Today, we learn that online petitions are absolutely meaningless, and that they can be started for any cause, no matter how absurd.

30. Skars’s avatar

Maybe stupid sony fanboys on one side, and blind certified consumers.

A big company will not add an aggressive DRM showing only its bad things to the user, instead, they add value to the DRM, making it a “feature”, required to have that value working.

So instead of the user getting away from the DRM, scared for its devilish aspects, the user will ask for it, more and more.

If I would sell you shit, I would rather first say that this shit was pooped by a very rare specific specie of creature and have a unique protein that will make your body acquire immunity to the worse disease ever. Then people will throw money at me asking for.. shit.

Stupid consumers, xb1 24/7 connect to the internet, logging all user preferences, with kinect camera always online recording audio and video, and with night vision, thermal camera, etc.

Mind the value of such information in mass volume to companies like Microsoft?

Cmon….

31. The Kick’s avatar

DRM is not a good thing in this case. Personally, I don’t even care. I’m the guy who just wants to play the game. Not trying to have my device cook me diner or, in this case, sell my info to 3rd parties for money.

32. Bob’s avatar

Haha. Console wars are still going? I own both an Xbox 360 and a PS3. Why? Because I like to enjoy all sorts of video games. Games are meant to be fun not war. People need to just grow the hell up already and stop acting like children. If you don’t like a certain console or company good for you. Keep it to yourself and go eat a fucking cupcake.

33. Bob’s avatar

I raise my glass to Halo and Sly Cooper. So fuck yo couch, I’ll piss on yo cat, I’m out

34. Anger’s avatar

DRM – Digital Rights Management. I defy anyone to come up with a good reason for the use of drm that doesn’t benefit Microshit, the government, the devs or any other corporate waste – I wantr one person to name a legitimate use of drm that benefits gamers alone. in the case of this petition it technically isn’t drm however it does use elements of it and im for now and forever against it. in simple terms having to be online for a game to even load is ridiculous (yes this was a planned ‘feature’), having to check in every 24 hours also ridiculous – and it isn’t just for updating avatars or some shit like that its so microcrap can kill your game at the mere hint of unsigned software – read homebrew. I know they need to protect their investment (yes its all about the moolah) but this is just absurd. now im sounding like a pony fanboy but I hate them equally because they were intending to do the same damn thing, and only microcraps announcement scared them out of it, so they turned it into a plus – that’s normal for stony. I know im behind the times because I know theres games coming out that more or less require online all the time because they are doing away with the multiplayer aspect by integrating it into the main game itself. in theory a good idea – in practice yet again not everyone can do this. also I think I do agree copying the game to the hdd is a good idea HOWEVER not allowing the game to then be sold on is just backward. obviously they would need to restrict the game to the person who owns the disc but whats wrong with the good old disc protection? sure it doesn’t work if theres the slightest scratch but its still better than the draconian shit they had planned. Also one final thought – 20’000 signatures – almost certainly every single MICROSOFT EMPLOYEE – think about that one as well.