Android gaming with your PS3 controller

Do you game a lot on the on your android devices? Well there is a great app for you, “the Sixaxis”. It will let you play all your favorite games and emulator with your ps3 controller.

You’re going to need three things:

• a Rooted Android Device
  • a computer
  • and a ps3 controller (duh)

The first program you’re going to need is for the PC. It can be found here http://www.dancingpixelstudios.com/ or just click here: Sixaxis pairtool.

pairingtool

Now you’re going to get the sixaxis app from google play store. I recommend downloading the test app (Sixaxis compatibility checker) first to make sure that your android is rooted.

we3

If the check tool tells you you’re good, time to purchase the app (I know…). Once this is done, run the app and press start, it will show you the bluetooth address at the bottom. Now you need to go back to your PC and use the pairing tool. Plug in the ps3 controller into the pc (USB Cord) and type in the bluetooth address into the pairing tool and hit update. That’s it, now your android and ps3 controller are paired, just make sure you change your input method on your android device before playing your favorite game.

You will still have to map your buttons out for some games and emulators but you really gotta love Ps3 accessories they almost work on everything.  So enjoy gaming with your ps3 controller on your Android devices.

1. Itherian’s avatar

This is cool. I ended up buying a mini bluetooth keyboard for my Nexus tablet. cost 20-30 bucks depending on which model u get. I got the mini suit ultra thin and it works great.

2. aerinas’s avatar

“they almost work on everything”, they don’t even work out of the box with a standard windows pc xD You always need crappy tools to get your controller to work on anything but the ps3 itself.

1. Thrawn’s avatar

This is sony, what else did you expect? Their stuff only works on their stuff great. Evetything else is not intended to work. Smart move from m$ to make their controller pnp. :)

1. aerinas’s avatar

Only the wired one though, for wireless x360 controller on your pc, you need to buy a separate controller (wireless xbox360 controller for windows).

1. Ragi’s avatar

nah, they say that but what comes in the pack is an original xbox360 controller + a radio usb adapter to connect the controller to the pc.

1. Thrawn’s avatar

Ok, that sounds reasonable and is a small price for it to work out of the box.

3. psYos’s avatar

As awesome as this app is, it doesn’t work with every rooted phone, it depends on the bluetooth stack in your phone. Most AOSP roms have the proper version though.

4. jlo138’s avatar

I use my WiiMote on my jail broken devices. A little bulkier when using the classic pro controller but it works.

5. bob4real’s avatar

This is cool for older android devices. Most new devices with android 4.2 support six axis controllers out of the box. My Asus Transformer Infinity tablet supported six axis controller day one with no roots or apps.

6. AMTF’s avatar

Newer android devices can support a PS3 controller connected with a cable. This app is only needed for a wireless connection

7. Weeman’s avatar

Been out for a while now but is really useful!
    Pairing also works via OTC-Cable on the nexus 7 (and i guess same applies to other tegra3 devices)

The ps3 controller also works fine on osx but the xbox is harder to use (not sure if anything changed lately)

1. Weeman’s avatar

OTG-cable*

8. alex’s avatar

Is it possible to play like SuperN64 (n64 emulator) with a “real working analog stick”.
    I tried playing Super mario 64 on the emulator, and everything worked except the analog stick only lets me run and not walk.
    There is just like a on and off mode, from standing still to running, nothing inbetween.

Can someone tell me how to get the analog stick working like a real one?

1. thedicemaster’s avatar

if you get the right emulator, you should be able to use the analog sticks as the n64 analog stick.
      just make sure you didn’t map the analogs to buttons in the sixaxis app.

I use mupen, and it supports analog input just fine.

9. Fredrick Sylar’s avatar

All you people needed was the OTG adapter and you’re done.
    Android come pre-configured to work with almost anything eanging from keyboards, mouses (or mice???), mics to your desired controller.

All you really need is the SixAxis application on your rooted phone, the OTG and your controller for a perfect wireless gaming experience using your PS3 controller.
    Just open the application and press “Start” then “Pair Controller”.
    You can then disconnect the controller and still be connected over BlueTooth.
    Happy Gaming! ^_^

1. Fredrick Sylar’s avatar

BTW, I use my MicroSoft Wireless KeyBoard and Mouse 3000 on all my Android running gadgets and they’re AWESOME!!!
      For you whom didn’t know, connecting a mouse to your Android device will show a pointer on your screen just like Windows and Mac that has even the “Right-Click” functionality.

10. TheHollander’s avatar

I’m good using a Wii controller and the WiiMote program. Even though my Galaxy Tab 10.1 is rooted, My daughter’s isn’t. And the Wii Controller works fine on theirs without root. Good Tut though, for those who wanna use the PS3 controller.

11. franz’s avatar

I am using sixaxis for my epsxe emu on my acer a500. and I must say that it really is a wonderful app although it would be great if they will make the ’tilt’ function compatible as well…

12. Tenerezza’s avatar

Just want to mention that some devices support PS3 cntrolles without ANY form of modifications nor need root and so on. So test it out before you go that far.

To do that, you basically just need to plug it into your tablet with USB once, turn it on, sync it iwth BT and your set. however not all tablets can do it. Asus transformer linup can.

13. decookaaron’s avatar

I’ve been using sixaxis for a very long time now. I use it when I play dead trigger, modern combat 1,2,3,and 4, mass effect, dead space and other games like that. I use the androids that support mini hdmi so I can play off my tv. I prefer any of the droid razr instead of other phones that uses media link which lags a bit. But its fun play games with sixaxis and easier.

14. Fantomphox’s avatar

i like this app. i’ve been using it for my old droid from when i was on Verizon. now use it on my N7, this is the best even for games that are gamepad hid compatible. if i remember there is also a function for linking your ps3 controller to your android device provided you have an otg cable.

15. Phil87700’s avatar

Hav earl ready tried this on my Xperia P, sometimes it tries your patience. Doesn’t connect whatsoever. ;-)

16. DarkVolkaN’s avatar

I already used a PS3 controller via bluetooth on my tablet 9 months ago. Some games recognize it like a generic gaming controller and it works helluva nice :D
    But some games dont, for that my program has a function, that i can configure screen-touches/slides on several points, triggered by buttons on the game pad. Generic controller works better (analog sticks) but it works really nicely overall :D (GTA III etc)

17. drebin’s avatar

i always receive sa notice which says i dont meet some requirements microsoft visual c++ 2010 distributable tool to run the sixaxis pc tool setup. but i have that microsoft c++ 2010 tool. but still the setup does not install.

18. david’s avatar

Microsort c++ 2010 tool how would I get this thanks

19. jabraheadphones’s avatar

I do believe that is certainly one of several most important info in my opinion. Exactly what glad examining the post. Even so need to statement about some rudimentary troubles, Your website flavour is right, the content articles really is great : Chemical. Superior process, cheers