How to purchase US PSN Cards from Amazon when you don’t live in the US

We have an upcoming VHBL release which will work for a game that is only available on the US Playstation Store (although, yes, I am following up with another hacker who might have something for people in EU, more on this as soon as I can confirm). This means, if you don’t have a US account and a way to purchase games on the US PSN, that you are screwed. Last time I checked, Sony runs several checks in the background and makes it difficult for non US residents to use their credit card on a foreign Store. The same is true for Paypal.

Independently of VHBL, there might be a few games out on the PS3 or the Vita that you’d like to get in the US, either because they are cheaper there, or simply not available at all in your country. And maybe, like many of us, you’d rather not have Sony know your Credit card number anyway. The best way I’ve found to add US credit to my PSN wallet, despite me living outside of the US, is to get US PSN Codes instead of trying to go through Paypal or the Credit card route directly on the PSN.

There are many places that sell US PSN Codes for people outside of the US, and we’ve mentioned a few here. Several of you were quick to note that we didn’t mention the best way of all: Amazon. Well that’s my bad because I could have sworn that Amazon was doing pretty drastic checks about your IP and your credit card when you purchase from them, but apparently I was wrong.

Amazon started somewhat recently selling US PSN Cards. They have both $20 cards and $50 cards. What’s really interesting about them is that they cost much less than the price you would have to pay to get those from other less respectable places, including eBay or others. As a matter of fact, PSN Cards on Amazon are even cheaper than face value! (well, 1 cent less, but still…)

Of course, ebay sellers, or sites like PCGamesupply don’t want you to know about the trick below ;)

Basically the only thing to do to buy US PSN codes on Amazon even when you don’t live in the US, is to lie about your billing address. Now, your bank might not like that and reject the payment, but that hasn’t happened to me yet (and there is a solution for that too, see below). Here is a detailed way to do this:

Step 1) Add either a $20 PSN card or a $50 PSN card to your cart by clicking on the “Buy code” button.

Step 2) If you don’t have an Amazon account, you should be able to create one quickly at the login step. Note that Amazon accounts are shared worldwide. If you already have an amazon account in France, UK, etc… it will work in the US (this is not true for China and Japan, where you will have to create another account)

Step 3) Enter your payment information. That’s where the trick is:

This is what happens if you put your real billing address on the card, Amazon tells you “Online Game codes are Only available to US Customers

amazon_us_psn_codes

Oh no :(

But if instead you use an American address (google for any famous hotel name in Seattle, or whatever), you’ll get the following, and you can complete the purchase:

amazon_us_psn_codes_ok

Good :)

This works because Amazon does not check your IP, and, more importantly, does not seem to contact your bank automatically to confirm the billing address (which lots of online sites do today. I am pretty sure the PSN does it, and I know iTunes and Paypal do it). Not sure how long this will last, so enjoy while it does.

Additional tricks

If you use an existing account and already have a credit card, you can temporarily change your credit card’s billing address by editing it in your payment settings, that will work too.

If you are worried about your bank rejecting your fake billing address, you can:

• Buy yourself an amazon email gift card
  • After that, change your billing address on your credit card in Amazon
  • Proceed to buy the $20 or $50 PSN card
  • Amazon will ask you again for the credit card number, but in the end will use the gift card to pay for the PSN Card, which means your bank will not need to be involved in that one transaction.

Disclaimer: the Amazon links above are affiliate links. If you buy through me, you don’t pay anything more but I get a percentage of the sale.

1. j_lo1992’s avatar

i’m from iran.there is just us and uk psn card.

2. Netrix’s avatar

What about those of us that are in Canada? Do we have access to all of the U.S.-only games on PSN?

1. Ice’s avatar

No you dont

1. Ice’s avatar

edit: nevermind, the online website store lies, i dont know..

2. kuagelo’s avatar

I’m not sure about their contents, but I think they’re just the same…

I would like to point out though: US PSN Cards (such as those described by wololo above) can’t be used on a Canadian account – I’ve personally tried this before.

3. GigaGaia’s avatar

US and Canadian PSN have the same content. Games on canadian PSN are us region games, so you’d be okay just to buy the game normally. There isn’t any canadian region based games anyway, Canada get the exact same version as US.

3. Thrawn’s avatar

This is old, I’m doing that like a half a year or so.

1. kuagelo’s avatar

Same here, although it’s nice to know others can take advantage of this too. :)

BTW: with a little Math, you’ll notice how it’s cheaper to buy 20′s instead of 50′s, thanks to that 1-cent deduction. So if you’re planning on getting $100 worth of credits I suggest you buy 5×20 instead of 2×50. :D

1. wololo’s avatar

Good point. Well, it’s a 0.5% discount, but still :)

1. Thrawn’s avatar

Well, that is correct you save 1 cent per card, but if you are like me paying with a european credit card, than you have exchange cost and also order fee because I’m under a certain value… so buying one big is “cheaper” than buying two small ones.

4. Near’s avatar

Waiting name the of game

5. Brian’s avatar

dear near don’t expect today for a game release maybe friday or saturday i quess we have to be patient

6. drawerfloat’s avatar

I can’t add funds to my PSN wallet using paypal. Somebody pls help me..

1. Ice’s avatar

It checks paypal adress so if you have USA psn account and paypal adress is europe for example, it will get rejected.

7. Deagle275’s avatar

What about nintendo eshop cards , would work right?

8. AMD’s avatar

What you are doing is fraud … Using a fake address to sign up on Amazon …

1. wololo’s avatar

Yeah, I am sure Amazon is really annoyed that I am giving them money. The fraud here is obviously that Sony are artificially maintaining price differences based on where you live, for no valid reason. Globalization should not only benefit corporations but their customers too.
      The ‘fraud’ here is a problem between me and my bank. If my bank are fine with me providing a fake address, then everybody is fine.

Does your local videogame shop check your address every time you buy stuff? I dont think so, but for all they know you could be a foreigner on holiday… Is that fraud?

So just relax. Sony, Amazon, and your bank are all happy to see you use their services :)

1. jessica’s avatar

I have found that amazon has stopped letting me buy PSN cards while out of the US, instead I buy cards from http://www.gamecarddelivery.com and they’ll send me US region codes. I have to pay a premium which sucks, but it seems worth it so far.

1. sonysucks’s avatar

Thanks Jessica, this works fine, it’s worth the extra tax. They actually scratch a card and send you a photo of the code! :)

2. scap’s avatar

Shut fuck up moron!!

Everybody is doing this, nobody care about your opinion!

9. Phil87700’s avatar

Hi i am from India, should I do the same process to buy games…?

1. wololo’s avatar

Yup, if you want games from the us psn.

1. Thrawn’s avatar

Or if you want to save money.
        Example:
        Ragnarok odyssey US: 29,99$
        Ragnarok odyssey EU: 29,99€
        1€=1,2914$ by date of posting
        Now what is cheaper?

10. bob4real’s avatar

Hurry up and buy your cards guys I won’t wait too long this post just screams “ninja release incoming!” I’ll be clicking refresh all weekend…

11. Stink123’s avatar

I’m from Brazil and done everything right but amazon just blocked my account and asked me to send them a fax to prove if the address is correct. Does that happened with anyone here?

1. Piseth’s avatar

Same with me. I’m from Cambodia :(

12. Yoyo’s avatar

Just a question, if I buy PSN credit from a EU card, (that is, in €uros), and then I go to the US store, does that credit turn into dollars? I mean, my EU account is shared both in the EU site and US site, so is there any currency conversion?

1. wololo’s avatar

If you buy US psn credit from the US Amazon site with your EU Credit card, your bank will do the conversion for you and you have nothing to worry about.
      If that is not exactly the use case you are talking about, then please clarify

13. Matlink’s avatar

What’s next when we purchased the US PSN card from Amazon & when we got an EU PSN account in order to buy a game from US PSN ?

1. wololo’s avatar

You need to create a US PSN account, and switch your Vita to that account. The process is (unfortunately) relatively painful, and involves resetting the vita and formatting your memory card (unless you have a spare memory card).

1. Matlink’s avatar

Well, that’s what I unfortunately expected. Tank you :)

1. Gonzilla’s avatar

LOL, wololo HE TOLD YOU TANK!! lets go crucify him

14. rondev5’s avatar

If you wish to purchase a us psn card with out having to sign up to Amazon I suggest using gamesrocket.com they sell uk,us,aus,Austrian,german and spanish psn cards, once purchased they will just email the code to you easy as that.

15. Nathan Ang’s avatar

I’m from the Philippines and there’s only 1 place to buy PSN cards here but they’re usually out of stock. That’s why I buy from play-asia. It’s digital, so I get my order in less than a day :D Here’s the link.
    [mod edit: affiliate link removed]

1. wololo’s avatar

No offense, but keep your affiliate links to your own website. The method described in this blog post works fine for the Philippines, and is cheaper than play-asia.

16. ijwdk’s avatar

Does amazon e-mail you the psn codes after the purchase?

1. wololo’s avatar

Yes, but the codes can also be retrieved from the amazon interface, in “your account”

17. lienno’s avatar

does this still work? either im doing something wrong or they have stopped it! i have tried both the psn card and gift card route and get denied! Said my gift card was accepted then received a email saying they had stopped the gift card 5 mins later

18. Gora’s avatar

Hello guys, first of all, nice guide.

I think Amazon change something and now you cant do this.
    Im not in the us:
    i tried to bought a psn gift card and they sent me a email saying that they placed a hold on my account because some problem with the billing details, “legal and privacy reasons”.

1. Kuroi Akuma’s avatar

Just like me. My amazon account was locked.

19. Adrian’s avatar

Thanks for the tipp, good to know that Amazon also ships “online”.

I useally buy mine on Ebay from this seller: http://myworld.ebay.de/cdubsportscards
    He must have some automation too, it just takes about 5 minutes from buying to wallet ;)

20. reem’s avatar

Does it still work?
    That’s a really taugh process, why won’t sony just make 1 united store and everything (including DLCs) region free? That’s just awful and costy.

1. wololo’s avatar

Yes, this still works, I purchased psn codes this way yesterday.

21. Asianadobo’s avatar

Hi! Was thinking this process but im afraid that if i ask my cousin living in california to buy me a code in amazon that 60$ and only 45€ ill save 20€ in buying the game i want. But what if sony saw my ip add that im from europe and wont let me buy the game? My acct is psnUS by the way. Does this process still works today? Pls help me. I want to buy a code asap ;) thanks so much

22. Meru’s avatar

Thanks for this guide which will allow me to save money on games. One question: Once I purchase and download/install the game from US PSN account, will I be able to use purchased content on my EU PSN account normally?

1. wololo’s avatar

Yes and no. You’ll have to switch accounts. This is easy on ps3, but a pain on the vita.

23. Leandro’s avatar

It doesn’t work for me. I’ve tried to buy gift card too, but my order was canceled by Amazon. :T

1. wololo’s avatar

Aw :( I can guarantee it works because I’ve been using this system for a while, but it is possible Amazon’s Fraud checks recognized something in your buying pattern that they didn’t like. I am not entirely sure what checks they perform, but I can guarantee they don’t contact your bank to verify the billing address, and in my experience it’s the only thing that matters…
      Did you put a legit US address as your billing address?

24. Stalker’s avatar

worked perfectly. Using a US adress presented no problem to using my foreign credit card. Thanks!!

25. Teenager’s avatar

Hi, ¿can buy the psn card with a prepaid credit card?.

26. Hawkes’s avatar

If I create a US PSN account, does that mean, I have to play Multiplayer sessions on US servers? Or does the PS3/4 automatically choose servers by ping and not region of your account?

1. greatcrimso’s avatar

You can have US PSN and play on European servers. I got PS4 and US PSN and I am from Croatia.

27. taurus-555’s avatar

amazing, thank you so much.

what a trick. it was so easy to buy the codes at amazon.

28. rondev5’s avatar

If any one doesn’t want to do the Amazon method of purchasing US PSN cards, you can always go to gamesrocket.com as the 20 dollar cards for as low as 18.25 euro and 50 dollar cards for 43.49 euro and pay for them via paypal i’ve used the site plenty of times when it has cheaper offers then steam.

43.49 euro is $60
      18.25 euro is $25

conclusion: ==> stick to the Amazon technique and don’t go to any of these other sites that all take a gigantic margin on the sale

29. verdo’s avatar

Hey wololo. Do these US psn cards work if you are canadian? I bought one recently using your method, and it says that it is invald whenever i try to punch in the code on my canadian psn account

30. Mikhail de leon’s avatar

How bout this i live in france ,,, but my psn account UK adress is it possible to buy a psn card in france coz psn price not euro ,, any answer pls thank u

31. fakejameh’s avatar

Yea it still works. Just created my new US PSN account (from Australia) and got onto amazon to buy a new PSN store code. great!.. trust amazon to allow something like this. I dunno if its ethical, but I guess they had no time to correct it following the release of the exploit.

also, amazon has known to price skim in the past, so I wouldn’t put it past htme to ignore this >_<

32. Dzung’s avatar

And now 26.89$ is 20$ psn store,
    Can I use gift card instead?

33. Henssou’s avatar

Hi there !

works just fine, i just took twice 2O$ for my us psn,
    thanks a lot !

34. Kuroi Akuma’s avatar

:< It doesn't work for me, and my amazon account was locked right after I clicked on the "place order" button. I contacted amazon and they asked me to fax them the billing statement.. So much trouble.

1. sonysucks’s avatar

Not working for me either… I tried to use the “gift certificate” workaround but my purchase is going through a screening process. They’ll certainly find out I don’t live in the US and lock my account as they did to yours…

35. David’s avatar

Thanks a lot!!

36. qwer’s avatar

Can one go to jail if they tty this and get detected?

1. wololo’s avatar

What? Of course not! At worst your bank will decline the payment and you won’t be able to purchase the gift card, that’s it.

37. Dane’s avatar

Not working for me. I got message that the processing of the payment is taking longer than expected and the order is subject to additional security checks.