Warning: Do NOT update your PS3 to OFW 4.45 yet

Update: Sony has pulled the Firmware for now, leaving many players with a bricked console, who are hoping for a solution. Stay tuned.

A new update just rolled out from Sony for the PS3 which is giving many users their fair share of troubles including bricked consoles.

Official firmware 4.45 just got released and according to many user reports its causing bricks and other issues. Users are reporting that after updating the consoles, on boot, it gets stuck to the ribbon screen, and renders useless afterwards.

With no word from Sony yet, its in your best interest to wait. While this is not affecting everyone, it is taking a impact on a lot of people. A simple look at the PlayStation forums shows that the problem is wide spread and not isolated or yet resolved. PlayStation Customer service is aware of the issue and are giving inflicted users the cold shoulder and a simple “wait it out” until a solution is found.

There isn’t any indications as to what is causing this phenomenon, but from my analysis it seems to be a problem relating to PS3s with upgraded or changed HDDs. But there could be a plethora of other things causing the problems.

It’s always best to wait until Sony releases a fix. Its better to be safe than sorry. Stay tuned for updates. Hopefully a hotfix is en route.

1. Dave Ross’s avatar

I bet its Microsoft getting revenge for how much tbey suck lol

1. rubnvdub’s avatar

I bet you’re a Sony fanboy too.
      You sir, are a retard…QFT

2. Randqalan’s avatar

Maybe Sony decided since the PS4 us coming this yead
    One way to increase sales brick everyone PS3

Joke I hope :)

1. Electric Penis’s avatar

“Joke I hope :D”

Are you so fucking foolish you’d consider it a possibility that’s NOT a joke?

1. Skars’s avatar

Not so fast, some mobile phones, regardless of its price is tagged to die in some time. Even with a good build quality, after some time of use, it gets buggy until next generation of its own line comes.

Its not a clear statement, but by many reports, it seems to be profitable as a long users can’t prove it to be true.

I don’t believe Sony is doing it to PS3, as a long is more probable that people with PS3 keep up with sony to PS4 than people who got a brick in mass at the same time.

1. Pyne’s avatar

It´s called planned obsolescence, and yes it is most commonly seen in the smartphone space.

1. Skars’s avatar

Never see nobody that could prove it to be true, but I do believe that “they” do it, nad I think is not fare to pay a big price for something marked to die soon. In the past, good build quality electronics lasts forever, but actually smartphones comes with features that is almost useless for most of people in fact, just to say “I got a phone with a better CPU that I don’t even demand.”

People will keep being scammed as they keep being fools.

Sad…

2. gunblade’s avatar

well if is bricked like not booting might be the hard drive i notice sony was doing a network boot thing maybe they messed it up…or 4.45 is a werid firmware that was trying to patch the old ps3 n make it like the slimer slim cuz backups.. or its a messed up update trying to patch that cobra shit..

2. SSJ-Vita’s avatar

Yeah that’s actually a valid assumption, I wouldn’t put it past them at all. Sony bricked my backwards compatible 80 gig that had 4 usb ports and all that good stuff like 600 bucks. I h8 update loops ;/

3. Acid_Snake’s avatar

have any of these people attempted to reinstall the firmware with recovery menu?, if it can boot enough to show the background waves, it should boot enough for recovery menu, but it seems people over sony’s forum are dumb enough to not even try that lol

1. somthing something something light side’s avatar

hey, from reading every comment on the Playstaion Forums, people still get accese to recovery menu and reinstaliing 4.45 or 4.41 does not work, we are wating on sony fix

2. branddddd’s avatar

you fuckin faggot, only because youre in the scene, the rest of us are not dumb you piece of shit, GO MAKE A FUCKIN CFW FOR VITA AND SHUT UP MOTHERFUCKER

1. potato’s avatar

potato aproves

2. Tenshi’s avatar

wtf is your problem bro, you think that kind of attitude makes them want to find kernel exploits? why dont you make it yourself you asshat, your the worst part of the shit i stepped on today.

1. rai’s avatar

well to be fair he called those people at the forum dumb. well, that’s a rude attitude if you ask me.

2. Epicsnail13’s avatar

Lol u said asshat. I totally agree with you though

1. nero’s avatar

this person is no ass hat. their a dickbutt.

3. Shinny’s avatar

Dont feed the trolololo… On topic.. This is wierd, how come sony could make such a mistake..

3. J’s avatar

What a loser :)

4. hgoel0974’s avatar

you sir need to get a few tranquilizer shots (calm down bro :) )
        I have said it a billion times, the Vita isn’t so easy to exploit and the people who have any chance of doing it are leaving because of this attitude. We are not your slaves!

5. jd20dog’s avatar

can this guys email be blocked

6. JeoWay’s avatar

Who the hell are you talking about?

7. >_>’s avatar

You shut up and make a Vita CFW, useless.

8. The Z’s avatar

Lol, u mad, bruh?

1. gunblade’s avatar

he made an emote its looking at the weird face with the glass that winking back..

2. King Marz’s avatar

lmao he mad

glad i dont update my shit till i feel like it

9. pspfanMOHH’s avatar

The reason that their parents didn’t teach them manners is why you all suffer, no need for such bizzare behavior, slave ages are over. You want CFW do it yourself, like seriously guys like don’t know when to say what, we shouldn’t even try to find you exploits. Oh and last thing piracy is not accept even if there is vita CFW there is 40% there will be isos since blacklisteds can always use it for bad, another reason, but its our hobby we are addicted. Be GREATFUL!!!! EVERY GENIUSES LEFT IT ON RECORD!!!!

10. Wraddek’s avatar

I agree with you branddddd. Well kinda. Just because people are in the scene doesn’t give them the right to be narcissistic pricks. Have a nice day Scene Queens :)

11. rubnvdub’s avatar

umad bro? Go back to school and get yourself a decent education before you try to nerd rage over a keyboard while attempting to sound ‘intelligent’ /endrant.

to the OP… I am sure plenty of people have tried to recover/restore the ps3 via recovery menu. however if it attempted to flash new firmware and made some updates before crashing. Backdating to an older/previous firmware is more than likely not possible.

It will get fixed, especially if they want to keep their PS fans happy. Every issue that’s to blame on a major companies side always does. Sony just seems to have a habit of taking their time with things. So as much as it may suck people need to wait it out for a solution.

1. wraddek’s avatar

You begin by saying “umad bro?” and then tell me I’m the one who needs an education. Fucking hilarious xD

3. gunblade’s avatar

i tought that bricked ps3 wasent a big deal if u had a modchip

4. Zyphs’s avatar

did they even try the update them selves before releasing?

1. gunblade’s avatar

yea maybe on the new super slim ps3

5. somthing something something light side’s avatar

wasnt gonna update, not updating till September when i buy GTAV and KH 1.5 or what ever frimware is requiered to use Cobra-DOE whcih ever comes first

6. alucard’s avatar

is it related to CFW somehow ?

1. StepS’s avatar

as far as it’s known: no

7. Kain’s avatar

Oh, snap! And I was just about to upgrade my PS3 HD to a 500GB one, in order to house the Playstation Plus contents I got with my new subscription (along with the auto update feature! O_O ). Luckily, it seems the malevolent update was stopped before being rolled out in Europe. Anyway, starting today, I’m going to check the _whole Internet_ before confirming the actual update on my beloved PS3.

1. Thrawn’s avatar

Oh I so like my ps3 with 4.11, and it’s 1tb hdd. No updating before checking the net first.

1. Sylen7Nato’s avatar

do you want a cookie or something? ur not special

1. Thrawn’s avatar

yeah, gimme a cookie. Pls. ;)

2. gunblade’s avatar

ur on 4.11 that big a drive i would think u would have a lot of dud-step… i want my PlayStation 3 to be cooled by a refrigerator.. and double the ram…

2. jd20dog’s avatar

auto update is just the system updating your savedata and trophies and game patches at about 3 or 4 in the morning for about an hour
      it donst do full system updates as those require user confirmation to install

1. Kain’s avatar

Yes, and if the PS3 asked for my user confirmation after downloading the infamous 4.45 update I would have accepted, no questions asked. Apparently that’s a dangerous habit I’m going to give up like ->now<-. :D

8. musashiro’s avatar

sorry i cant lost my cfw for a lousy update..XD

1. musashiro’s avatar

*lose

9. LuxAlpha’s avatar

i heard it only does that if you ever changed your harddrive

10. JeoWay’s avatar

I’m still on 4.41 and there is no update available in the US? For me atleast.

1. shadowknight1620’s avatar

Ya same for me no update in US for PS3 it says that 4.41 is current.

11. Kiz’s avatar

This was news that hit yesterday. The bricking happened if you changed your harddrive.. mainly for people who put in harddrives over 500gbs. Anyone could be a victim though. Sony has already pulled the firmware since yesterday so whoever hasn’t updated shouldn’t be prompted to download until sony fixes the firmware issues.

1. wololo’s avatar

That’s my bad, jd8531 had the article ready in time but I was late to publish it.

12. Razorbacktrack’s avatar

Does anyone have the download link for the EU .PUP? I need it for my program

you can contact me to razorbacktrack@hotmail.it

13. NeonAera’s avatar

Thanks for the big heads-up, wololo

1. NeonAera’s avatar

Oops I mean you Jd8531 lol Sorry

14. Kurtz’s avatar

Im gonna take the world
    —XBOX-ONE Hack PS3 FW 4.55
    No problem boss

1. Kurtz’s avatar

error 004– FW 4.55 not found
      Trying with FW 4.45-

15. Danilo’s avatar

Querem estragar seu PS3 pra você compra um PS4!

O_o

16. Wrozen’s avatar

I think they took down the update. Because my ps3 says It’s on the latest firmware when I try to update. I’m on 4.41. So at least they did that. I’m in the U.S.

17. Lai’s avatar

and xboxone declared today that they are changing their policies with regards to using used games and always being online… lol anyhow… thanks for the heads up..

1. UE’s avatar

But sadly the more important blocking of all self publishing indies still remains…

Why people are ignoring this baffles me… Indies aren’t just indies anymore, thanks to kickstarter and lots of bigger dev teams going “screw you I am not being forced to make games the way you tell me to anymore” that are going out on a limb and making new/different games this is a major issue.
      When a console creator refuses to allow the Oddworld remake on their system problems arise in my eyes ;)

18. John’s avatar

good for me that I use CFW 4.41, and I’m not a fun of OFW.

19. ThAt_GuY’s avatar

Do an update about the Xbox One, the DRM has been lifted!

1. Del_Inferno’s avatar

So cool, I was leaning with Xbox One anyway for Titanfall. This is just the answer I needed to decide on my console for this year. PS4 next year.

1. UE’s avatar

Just get titanfall for pc.

20. XDarkMario’s avatar

i have rebug 4.41 i ain’t moving!

21. Del_Inferno’s avatar

Got lucky. Wife updated my console last night and to my relief it was fine! good luck out there with console sharers.

22. x-eye’s avatar

as a vita owner I’ve always wondered why we have to go through this Constant upgrading hall hassle. most of the updates don’t do anything at all. it’s unsettling it’s annoying and now we know…it’s dangerous.

23. NEWuser’s avatar

does anyone know its if just bricking jailbroken ps3′s,cuz it would make more sense why they giving the cold shoulder.

1. Jd8531’s avatar

Doesn’t seem to be any relation.

1. gunblade’s avatar

what if u have a ps3 that came with a 500GB or its a refubished hard drive from gamestop

1. doubledee’s avatar

just to clarify, though most that have been affected are people who swapped the HDD, some stock PS3s have been hit too. Some 160gb and 500gb stock models have been hit according to the Playstation forums

24. aDirtyVagina’s avatar

just throwing it out their, apparently xbox has rescinded some of the restrictions for the xbox one. not a fanboy just want others to know…

25. niksko12’s avatar

Check this article out.
    It seems that Microsoft changed their policy.

Resell, trade of used games is now allowed
    and no more 24-hour online policy

They cant keep their word. :D

1. Chuckthetekkie’s avatar

Neither can Sony. They said they wouldn’t remove OtherOS from the fat PS3s, then they did and lied about why to boot.

26. Isley’s avatar

Well, I wasn’t planning on updating my PS3(4.41) anyway. I want to hack it so I can see all the perks from the CFW. So I guess I dodged a bullet here :D

But shame on Sony for releasing firmware that bricks PS3s. That’s just downright foul.

27. gunblade’s avatar

talk about sony retire the ps3:

28. Thrawn’s avatar

While stumbeling around the net, this isn’t sonys first problem with larger not original hard drives. Does anybody remember the 3.56 ofw, they pulled it and re-released it because it had a similar problem.

29. Pyromaniac’s avatar

Thanks man, I noticed PSN was wasn’t working yesterday and just before I would gone on my ps3 and updated it today, I read this article. Hope they fix it soon.

30. The Kick’s avatar

Still on 4.41 and signed into PSN. When I tried to update yesterday it said no update was availible. Lucky me.

31. x-eye’s avatar

Vita owners take note: one day this could be us…damn

1. x-eye’s avatar

so guys i gotta ask the question- and wololo maybe you can answer too- after this latest fiasco and that prwvious time thrawn reminded us of: can we really trust updates from now on. i know ill be thinking twice come next Vita update season.

32. TechAddict’s avatar

Hmm if this issue is affecting just people with upgraded hard drives, hopefully if they had the sense to keep the original hard drive that came with there PS3′s they could just swap them again. Providing they didn’t wipe there original PS3 hard drive. I don’t own a PS3 so I can’t comment if this will solve there issues but from my basic understanding it should. But then what options would you have to recover your data from the upgraded hard drive. If its all encrypted then a wipe and re-download of data to the corrupted upgraded hard drive would be the only option.

33. TechAddict’s avatar

Here is a quoted post from the playstation forum, a workaround to fix the issue. You do this at your own risk.
    (quick fix for anyone whos ps3 is bricked
    Get a copy of the ps3 update 4.45 (there is a link on page 277 of this tread if you call it)
    turn on your system but hold down the the buttion if slim or keep finger over senser until you here one beep turns on system, one more ebeep don’t care, but the double beep beep is what we want do what the screen wants and do option 5 on a HDD that is BELOW 500 GB and is “COMPLETELY BLANK” like for me I put in the orginal HDD I got with my system 80GB sorry 1TB fix you later and your system should run) http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-Support/Problem-after-update-to-4-45/td-p/40712247/page/280