Sony PSM Publisher license free. Why should you get it?
Sony have once again amused me. Initially, when the PlayStation Mobile thing came into being it was free for people to become developers, then they saw that they could make even more money out of it, and began to charge somewhere in the region of £70-90 annually (these are rough figures based on memory), and now, they’re stating that it’s possible to get it free again, but for a limited period, as we’ve mentioned a few weeks ago.
I personally think that everyone should sign up for this; even if you’ve no programming knowledge whatsoever. Why you may ask? Well, it opens up a lot for you. People can and have utilize this to make various applications that can aide the user.
If you’ve never used the PSM SDK what you’ll find is that (without getting into too much depth) you can write code, test it on your computer and transfer it to the PSV. Prior to Sony monetizing this, you can then directly transfer whatever you’ve created to your Vita, and test it there also, however; recent updates now require a publisher key, which requires the publisher’s license to generate.
Anyway, long story short; a while back, I used to use the PSM dev kit to control my PC through my Vita. At one point in time, I actually played World of Warcraft, Slender and some other games too, and I’m sure there are many other uses that I’ve never even tried. The problem is that I no longer have the required files or the time to create this myself (I’m also pretty bad with C#), but I shall look into getting this working again, and if I manage; I will write an FAQ and provide the required files on here. Please note though that you will need the PSM Developer’s License.
Here’s a short guide on how to acquire this:
- Go to https://psm.playstation.net/ and sign in with your PSN account.
- Once you sign in you will see “Register as a PSM Developer”. Click on the “Sign in” button, and follow the instructions. You will receive an email notification.
- When you click on the activation link in your email, you’ll be taken back to the site and asked to sign in once more.
- Now that you’re logged in, it should tell you that everything is complete.
- Click on the “PSM Dev Portal” at the top left, then look to the left hand side of the screen, you should see “A PSM Publisher License is needed for releasing your PSM Apps through the Store.” click on “Apply for PSM Publisher license.”
- Fill out all the necessary forms, and wait for your application to be completed (this took approximately 4-5 days for me)
- Once completed, look at the same area of the screen, click “purchase publisher license” and click on complete purchase (The purchase is £0.00, so don’t worry), then you’re all set.
While this may be of no current use to you, this could be utilized in the future, so it’s best that everyone take advantage of this offer!
Note: If you acquire this license, it may be possible to also use a Sony smartphone or Sony tablet to control your computer too. Also, please note that this offer is only valid until 2nd September 2013 and will be valid for a single year.
PSM is available in Japan, United States, United Kingdom, Canada, France, Italy, Germany, Spain and Australia.