Almost one year ago, I announced that Wagic was put on hold. Although we haven’t made a release in a year, our devs and community have been busy adding features and cards regularly. None of the members of the core dev team have the time to drive a full “beta test + release” process anymore, but it doesn’t mean there shouldn’t be any more release. Therefore, I’ve decided to open a thread on the Wagic forums where people can regularly submit builds from the SVN. “By the community, for the community”.
This release is different from our releases in the past as I will not desperately be trying to get all platforms ready at the same time. You will see, for example, that we don’t have a build for iOS ready yet. It is not because it’s not possible, but because nobody has provided one yet. There might also be lots of bugs compared to our latest stable 0.18.6 release. Unlike for the past releases, I haven’t spent days playtesting on many platforms, nor have I asked the community to do so before submitting the binaries.
But since the project is still very alive, and the only thing preventing you from enjoying it is that the people with the tools to compile are not coordinated, I figured I might as well start this.
What is Wagic?
Often compared to commercial games for its replay value and quality, Wagic is a heroic fantasy card game, in which you fight as a wizard against the computer. As you win battles, you unlock new game modes and earn credits that allow you to improve your army. Wagic is community driven and entirely customizable: you can create themes, mods, new cards, new rules, or even new games. Wagic is available in several languages (English, French, German, spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Chinese, Japanese, Serbian), and open source. It currently runs on the Sony PSP (as well as on the PS Vita if you have VHBL), Windows, Linux, maemo, meego, Android (phones and tablets), and iOS (iPhone, iPad).
So what’s new in 0.19.0? To be honest, it’s been so long since the last release, and I have myself been so disconnected from Magic The Gathering in general and Wagic in particular, that I am not entirely sure, but here’s what I could gather from our SVN:
- There are a lot new cards, as we now support 10’400 unique cards in the game (up from 9’400 last year), for a grand total of 18’000 supported cards (that’s when you include reprints) in Wagic.
- High resolution fonts have been added on platforms that support it. Not everything supports high resolution in Wagic yet, but you’ll definitely see a huge improvement your PC, phone, or tablet. It is now possible to read the tiny names on card thumbnails, on an Android phone with a decent screen.
- the “gauntlet mode”, that we had a long time ago as a “source code” mode to have AI fights, has been added as a core part of the game. This means you can now have tournaments with 3, 5, 7, 13 games against the same AI, or even more “tweaked” tournaments where the winner is decided when there are 2 or 3 wins difference
- New abilities, in order to support some of the new MTG sets, have been added. You can see a list of all abilities, if you want to add your own cards, on the wiki here
- I wish I could tell you we have a network mode ready, I know xawotihs has been working hard on this, but I believe it is still hidden in our code, and can probably be alpha-tested by people who will have the guts to compile their own Wagic version. But hey, at least you know there’s some progress in this area too.
More than the release, I want to use this post as a request for the community: if you know how to compile Wagic, and happen to compile it once in a while, please head over to our “SVN Builds” thread and post a link to your compiled version, the community will really enjoy it
These new builds of Wagic can be downloaded here. Be sure to read the instructions for each download, the downloads do not necessarily include the resource files, which you have to download separately (usually the links are in the thread)
I also want to thank all the devs who keep improving this project despite me being only remotely involved in it today, this is really heart-warming guys!