You Can Now Become A PSM Developer For Free!

The Playstation blog has just announced that you can now become a Playstation Mobile developer for free, without the fee of $99/£65/€80 which is great, in the blog they state ‘this summer’, in Britain, it doesn’t exactly look like summer at the moment, but nevertheless this is great news!

To be frankly honest, I’ve always wanted to learn how to program, but I don’t think my brain has the capacity for it. So I tend to stay away from it. But I think that PSM games will come flooding through now that they have removed this expensive (ish) fee that deters a lot of people, ask yourself this:

Would you pay $100 to develop PSM games for Vita, and other devices?
now, ask yourself this;
Would you develop for the Vita and other devices for free?
Exactly.

If you wish to register up to be a developer for PSM, you can sign up through this link here. The games on there are pretty high standard, but usually it’s about the gameplay not the graphics that count. A fun, entertaining and simple game. (To a certain extent, we don’t want it to look like Minecraft now, do we?)

So, with that….. I think it’s time we saw Wagic on PSM!

Leave a comment if you’re going to make a game for it!

Source:
PlayStation EU blog

Sauce:
Here

1. wololo’s avatar

TBH I don’t think the fee was the main issue. The small customer base on the Vita and PSM compatible devices is the issue imo. Devs who are serious about their games wouldn’t mind the $100 fee, but rather the time investment it takes to learn a new platform VS the benefits they would get from it. (see my article here http://wololo.net/2012/07/16/vita-why-developing-for-playstation-mobile-is-a-waste-of-time/ )

As far as Wagic is concerned, I wish this could happen, but I won’t be the one driving this as I don’t have enough time. Also, Wagic is C++, so I’m guessing the port to PSM will not be that easy.

Nevertheless, this is interesting information, and a nice move from Sony. Maybe a few indie companies who were reluctant to give it a try because of the fee will now have a look

1. Davee’s avatar

I agree, I doubt this will accomplish anything. Pretty much all serious indie developers can scrape together the relatively small fee.
      Not to mention the poor adoption of the vita and substandard tools and documentation when compared to SDK of which is provided for Android/iOS.

2. hgoel0974’s avatar

It definitely won’t be easy and will take time to port it over but I actually find the SDK to be quite simple and easy to understand, the problem I would say is the time it would take. Plus the selling problem. ATM nothing on the PSM is allowed to be free (acc. to the FAQ) so, would you sell the game on one platform? and have it free for others?

I have actually realized that the problem wasn’t totally with Sony, it turns out, Applications ARE allowed, but no one wants to make them. Sony doesn’t have anything against making apps like calculators and stuff, but no one does it.

1. wololo’s avatar

I guess if Wagic was ported to the PSM, I’d ask people to apply for a Publisher licence, and provide them with the source directly, explain how to compile and run it.
        There was a project a long time ago to make a commercial game with the Wagic engine, but with lack of time this got cancelled. It’s sad because we had some quite cool graphics and rules. Example: http://wololo.net/files/wagic/1050.jpg

2. wartaf’s avatar

Nice!! where’s the SDK??

1. wartaf’s avatar

NVM, i already see it :D thanks for informing :D

3. wartaf’s avatar

btw, can i run my own code? on my own Vita?

1. electriceye’s avatar

someone please answer this!

1. Minimur12’s avatar

Don’t hold me against it, but I’m pretty certain PSM is written in C#.

So to ‘your own code’
        Technically yes, depending on what language it is in.
        Someone has already made an emulator on it, so it’s possible. I think Sony have been careful enough for developers to not allow an app to manifest the console and hack it xD

But nethertheless, you could always port any old emulator on it, and also any old game :)

I replied to a comment below with a link to someone that has made an emulator on it.

1. celcodioc’s avatar

…the NES interpreter emulator ran Super Mario Bros. at ~10 FPS and Contra at ~2-5 FPS on the PS Vita. It might run at full speed on Android phones that support PSM — but you could just grab NES.emu on the Play Store.

For those who want a portable device for emulation, I’d recommend getting a high-end Android device and a Bluetooth gamepad (or a device that has a built-in controller, like Project Shield). In a few years, we’ll probably have a somewhat working GameCube emulator for Android. (Dolphin is actually being ported right now, but it only runs homebrew at less than 1 FPS.)

1. Acid_Snake’s avatar

yeah gamecube games in portable devices, you wish, maybe in another 5-10 years when portable devices reach the 3ghz mark and the emulator becomes stable enough on such conditions

2. CaptainObvious’s avatar

Hi
          Since this is an annual subscription, does this mean that i can become a PSM developer and pay absolutely nothing at all? or is this just a temporary offer before sony puts the price back up?

as awesome as this is, i would rather not be a free developer only to find out in a few months that i need to start paying after a month or so…

1. hgoel0974’s avatar

Yep, it is temporary
            But maybe you still get a full year’s license

2. hgoel0974’s avatar

You need to apply for the PSM Publisher License. They’ll approve it if everything is okay, normally you’d have to pay, but it will be free.

Minimur missed an important detail here:

The PUBLISHER license has become free. The Developer license was always free. The publisher license is the one that allows you to test on a Playstation Certified Device and to put your stuff up on the PSN. The developer license will only allow you to create the game and test it on the PC simulator.

4. NNNRT’s avatar

Sony finally found another way to stop hacks! (instead of only patching exploits & nothing else) :lol:
    Who wants homebrew now (well not now, after some time) other than me? Cuz there’s no PSM in my region. :(

1. wartaf’s avatar

btw, what OFW ver. is that PSM?

5. isnizal’s avatar

please!!!hack it….i wan remote player…xD

1. hgoel0974’s avatar

It isn’t easy. Try yourself

6. Skars’s avatar

Noob end user question:
    Will be possible to delevoper make emulators? SNES on PSM?
    Or at least, on their own devices?

1. Minimur12’s avatar

Yeah, there’s already been a snes one knocked up, it’s pretty unstable though.

1. KimoMaka’s avatar

Check your link !

2. cold_hell’s avatar

Emulators are not allowed. Even if someone create one, it won’t get accepted in PSN

7. Hell’s avatar

Great news :)

I’ve alreadly downloaded the SDK and i have an ideia for a game. Actually since i started playing games i had this idea and an written history :)

Now it’s time to make it live :)

1. Minimur12’s avatar

Kp us updated! Haha, what’s it about?

1. Hell’s avatar

It’s kind of cliclè, but it’s a thing that i drew when i was still a child.

It’s a history about the world some centuries from now on where biolocal enhancements is common, and desiases does not exist.
        But some humans have shown some collateral effects from those vaccins and were labeled as mutants as they have reproduced and their sons became stronger and stronger.

Another problem is that natural resources are scarce and the humanity still trying to find life on another planets or even find another suitable planet for us to live, all of this while our sun is approaching it’s “death” and is expandind and swalling planets around it, before it become a red giant and finnaly die.

Our only hope is a technology that we are creating on our human base on mars, but some say we are not alone on this planet, and something lurks in the shadows.

Four mutants will have to take a stand and fight for the humans that despise them.

….

Well, it’s a summary of everything actually is more interesting in my drawings …

1. Minimur12’s avatar

Nice! :)

2. Dmaskell92’s avatar

How idiotic to give away the idea behind your game.

8. Wolf89’s avatar

ahh man magic would be great!

9. hamon’s avatar

Create ones and inject vhbl or cfw x) !

1. Jd8531’s avatar

PSM has nothing to do with the PSPemu.

1. AtheistLucario’s avatar

I think he is trying to say that someone should make a exploit using psm for native applications. What he doesn’t understand is that PSM Applications are sandboxed.

10. k3nn’s avatar

i think it’s the right to “publish” the game is what is free, development and the sdk has been free from some months back :)

11. wulonglong’s avatar

Does this mean.. Developers will get devkit software thingy? Is there any chance we van hack vita through minis?

1. celcodioc’s avatar

Developers get a C# programming interface/compiler. The software runs in a sandbox and security is pretty tight so we can’t just magically inject something that will hack the device.

AFAIK there was a way to break out of the sandbox before Sony released PSM 0.99.20, but it’s too late now.

12. FLOW’s avatar

Go home Sony, you’re drunk.

13. Magnum828’s avatar

So I’m registered. Download all new. And still ,,Please create appkey …” What is this ? Pls help me I wanna remote desktop

1. fatman01923’s avatar

You need to load the Publishing Utility and generate a Device Seed for you Vita and then you must generate the appkey using the “app.xml” of the program then you are allowed to build and transfer to Vita.

1. Magnum828’s avatar

I do what do you write but in publisher utility can’t generate appkey. Thank you for all help.

1. Magnum828’s avatar

Any help :( ?

14. GlueGun’s avatar

Please Understand This Is For North America.
    A WASTE OF TIME.

15. romain337’s avatar

GoodBye CEF, see u later :) [go to psm download page]

1. romain337’s avatar

oh yeah, *E*cfw, in case someone have not understand lol

16. skok’s avatar

what are the supported languages in the SDK ?
    can i use python or VB , i’m expert at those ..

1. necron926’s avatar

i believe it uses C# but idk if its only that language

1. hgoel0974’s avatar

Yup, only C#, they say they are considering more languages but no guarantees that it will happen.

17. TheTokBox’s avatar

Alright… Lets get ALL the popular hombres on there for free like Lamecraft or really any other! (Sorry Lamecraft was the only one I could come up with on the spot)

1. Jd8531’s avatar

Its not possible.

2. hgoel0974’s avatar

If you’re talking about porting them, I guess you don’t mind having to pay for them. PSM games/apps MUST NOT be free (acc. to the FAQ)

18. TStrauss’s avatar

Minimur, I recommend taking up a disciple, and programming is one of the best. It teaches you to be methodical and logical, it builds your memorization skills, and it teaches you to be analytical.

I would recommend starting with C++/ C#. Damn near everything uses a C derivative, and you will learn object oriented coding, which is where it’s at. I learned BASIC and C++, and while I can’t do much with other languages like Java, I can at least read the code. Also, you want to stick with PC at first. Other platforms have specific libraries you have to learn, and that will just screw you up down the road.

19. advice’s avatar

if you want to make a game for PlayStation consoles use unity

1. Jd8531’s avatar

The SCEtools and PSVITA tools arent out yet. They just announced the tools back in March so it could be months before its out. Even then you would need a Unity PRO license.

20. AntiHeadshot’s avatar

Great :D already waited for something like this!

21. Frank’s avatar

Yes ! Can’t wait to see Wagic on PSM using the touch screen :) Really good news !

22. Patrick Vogt’s avatar

Is it possible to install de PSM dev client onto the Vita while staying on a low firmware with a Kernel exploit.

I don’t want to update just to test the code on my Vita

23. Warlord698’s avatar

you don’t always have to program to make use of the license really, if you know somebody that does program and they need testers all you need to know is how to use the software to install with the tools they give you.

24. VIRACY’s avatar

Its probably worth noting that this is only going on until the first week of September 2013. If it wasn’t already noted.

25. romain337’s avatar

I have the license, i have the license, naw :D

26. svenn’s avatar

“I’ve always wanted to learn how to program.”

There is no such thing. There is nothing to learn, there is only things to do; You don’t learn to ride a bike, you just step on and try & fail until you ride it like a boss.

27. adriandevera’s avatar

wow im so mad, i scrapped my ps vita project last summer because of the dev fees! I just got the unity engine to develop cross platform for mac and pc….

Sigh.

28. Dragon city Hack’s avatar

You are so awesome! I do not think I’ve read through a single thing like this before. So wonderful to discover somebody with a few unique thoughts on this issue. Really.. thanks for starting this up. This web site is one thing that is required on the web, someone with some originality!

Also visit my blog post; Dragon city Hack