Introducing the Dual Shock 4!

The PlayStation 4, Sony’s latest console device (No PlayStation console is JUST a gaming console ;) ) seems to be nearing its release as Sony slowly prepares to introduce the world to the next generation of gaming. This time it is about the next generation of our favorite controller, the Dual Shock 4!

We all know that the PS4 will be relying on a heavily upgraded version of the Dual Shock controller to deliver its gaming experience (the controls are a major part of the gaming experience)  with almost every form of input possible with current technology (but of course still not as much input as the PSVita ;) ). So, we all know what the net generation dual shock controller looks like, but for those of you who somehow missed it:

The awesome Dual Shock 4!

The awesome Dual Shock 4!

As we all know, Sony spends a lot of money and time in controller R&D to make sure that their console has the best possible controller. The Dual Shock 4 is no exception. Without letting out too much information Sony has posted a video about this controller on their YouTube channel, enjoy!

The controller has been designed based on suggestions from AAA game developers like Naughty Dog and Media Molecule so expect the best gaming experience from the next gen PS4!

For those of you who can’t watch the video, it describes how the PS4′s controller has been designed by game devs making it very comfortable in your hands and very easy to control. The share button has been emphasized, and a feature that I personally find quite interesting, a built-in speaker. In the video, it has been said that the speaker will be used to bring in extra realism to gaming, for example, in a first person shooter, you will hear sound on your TV’s speakers, but when a bullet fly’s by you, you will in a sense, be able to tell because the controller’s speaker will also play that sound!

Gaming is finally getting to the point where the experience is just breath taking. I can already imagine myself playing Killzone and actually moving because I hear a bullet fly by me! :D

So, what do you guys think? Is the next generation dual shock exciting? Does it make you more excited about the PS4? The comments are the perfect place to discuss without flaming ;)

Tags: , , , , ,

1. k3nn’s avatar

not really exciting or excited about this. I could snag the touch control and have died because of it :( I do that in my vita you know, the square button just comes off of my thumb and slides into the touchscreen and BAM! I just turned right (or walked right, depending on the game) and I got shot coz I couldn’t see the bad guy coming.

2. J3LACK--EAGLE’s avatar

Im excited about it, it alliws more crossplay for the vita and more in game experience

3. razor’s avatar

The analogs should have been round like the previous ones..

1. SIP Trysten’s avatar

Personally I don’t. My big ass thumbs always tend to slide off of the rounded ones.

Those triggers are my biggest concern though. By God I can’t stand my ps3′s triggers, as with the sticks my fingers slide off all the time. You fingers should not slide on any controller. They should stay where you want them to. It makes a game much less enjoyable when you have to constantly adjust you fingers because of faulty design.

1. rafael’s avatar

I think you have falty fingers :p

4. svenn’s avatar

Look at our awesome cool controller. WTF is wrong here ? Look at my 96 node cluster … it has a nice keyboard and mouse.

I thought people bought these for playing games; but I’m wrong people who buy a ps4 are gone jerk off on there controller instead…

1. rafael’s avatar

i play on keyboard alot, but the controllers are better experience, i would rather play any game on single player with a controller. just sit back and relax with the controler, the keyboard is good for when youre in a hardcore rush match on bf3 but not so much when youre playing anything other then shooters, party games, racing games, sometimes even simulators

5. wiockedchew’s avatar

Really love the controlls in vita, i can push two buttons at the same time because of the squeeze of the buttons, specially playing UMC3 which requires it

excited of ps4 controlls

6. ¬_¬’s avatar

Meh come on $ony that’s all you have to show me

7. TelcoLou’s avatar

I like it, especially the concave shape on the top of the analog sticks. Its good that they otherwise kept the same overall shape of the controller itself.

8. blahblah’s avatar

The 1 million dollar question would be can we use it on our PS3?

9. ero’s avatar

talk is cheap, I am a long time sony fan but I cam admit dualshock 3 sucked in comparison to other controllers. Dualshock 4 just sounds like its going to be te same thing but more expensive.

1. NNNRT’s avatar

Are you awake dude? :|

2. NNNRT’s avatar

I like that game recording thing! :D YouTube will overflow! :lol:

1. NNNRT’s avatar

Oh sorry that was supposed to be down. :oops:

3. mlc’s avatar

I thought it was nice… the issue is that everyone was already acclimated to the design by prior Sony controllers, so it gets more points for design than a controller with a strange design. Personally I think some of the worst controllers were the original Saturn US controller, and the clunky Xbox controller.

& The Wii controller is pretty ok for motion games, but rather minimalistic in general. (though that’s what they were going for)

10. jon’s avatar

So nothing to do with vibration.

Pointless

1. Guest643195’s avatar

Its a “Dual Shock” which implies vibration. The PS3 controller when it first came out was the “SIXAXIS” until they added vibration then it became the “Dual Shock 3″

11. Link1565’s avatar

>Sony spends a lot of money and time in controller R&D to make sure that their console has the best possible controller.

This is the first major improvement in more than 10 years of PlayStation…

No, I don’t count “adding triggers” to be an improvement.

12. shinra358’s avatar

It still has trigger buttons as L2 and R2 which alienates fighting games :(

They should just make the triggers like the Thrustmaster 3-in-1 so that I can still play fighting games with the normal L2 and R2 buttons.

13. NinjaKakashi’s avatar

Metal Gear Online 2/Metal Gear Solid 4 already could make it so that you could tell if a bullet was coming close to you and they only needed one tv screen rather than both a tv screen and a remote.

Developers shouldn’t count on the controllers sound too much in my opinion and lose touch that the quality of the sound is important.

Not saying the sound on the controller is a bad idea but just saying that the sound on the controller should only be reserved for sounds that aren’t so special.

14. Maxilus’s avatar

Im glad they make the controller the same design but upgraded with new features. I like Dualshock controller since it first came. Can’t wait for PS4 to reveal.

15. Terry’s avatar

Xbox 720 is going to sh*t all over the PS4, I can already see it.

16. tdk’s avatar

Ok… i see the controller… but, where is the console?
    Probably they are figuring now, what shape they will give?. LOL

17. TStrauss’s avatar

I kinda like the way Sony has revealed the PS4. Tech specs, real time demos, exclusives, and features should top the bill. Anyone who buys a console because of the box they put it in is a sucker.

Still, I wish Sony would stop acting like this new controller is a revolution. The speaker? Yeah, the wiimote had one of those. The light? They already used that tech with the PS Move. Tumb stick shape? XBox 360. Headset jack? Again, 360 (this is actually a step backward, since the PS3 used wireless Bluetooth headsets). Touch pad? The Vita and the Ouya both use these.

It’s nice to see these features put together into one controller, don’t misunderstand me. I’m looking forward to handling a DS4 myself. But there’s nothing new here. Claiming otherwise seems dishonest.

18. Skars’s avatar

Enlist to the army, then go to the war zone, GOOD LUCK.

1. Skars’s avatar

Anyway, I don’t believe a tiny speaker inside controller will provide any satisfactory sound experience for gaming.

2. hgoel0974’s avatar

:lol:
      I forgot to mention “without any risks to my life” (and I be’th too young’th)

19. Scard4lif3’s avatar

As long as it’s comfortable to use, everything else is secondary.

20. chuckthetekkie’s avatar

I really hope they make the triggers harder to accidentally press. I will lay my PS3 controller down while I am watching a movie only to have the table press one of the triggers in and screw up my movie. That never happened with the 360 controller. The triggers is my biggest issue with the PS3 controllers. I just hope the PS4 controller isn’t too light like the original Six Axis controller. I felt like I was going to break that thing.

My main issue with the PS4 controller besides the triggers, WHERE ARE THE START AND SELECT BUTTONS? What button am I supposed to use to pause the game?

The only thing that makes me try to dodge bullets is when I’m using my surround sound system. I’m sorry, I little speaker is not going to make me believe that a bullet flew by me as it’s not near my ear. If I was shooting a bow and arrow, the speaker would signify that I released the arrow like in Twilight Princess.