The PS Vita getting ready for the PS4? Oops, nope…

Vita scene member The Z had an interesting theory about some of the changes introduced in PS Vita Official Firmware update 2.10. Turns out the truth is out there…

We’ve grown used to useless Firmware updates from Sony in the past, but it’s sometimes easy to miss some of the tiny changes in there that could be hinting at something big.

Is it possible that some of the changes in the recent Vita firmware updates are actually preparing the Vita to welcome the PS4 in the PlayStation ecosystem? The Z had an interesting theory about this: in firmware 2.10, the Content Manager’s main menu had a UI change which reduced the size of its buttons, enough to add a fourth button in addition to the existing PS3/PC/Online Storage options. Could that be a button for the PS4 system?

PS4button

Space for a PS4 button? Image by The Z

It turns out, as revealed recently in a Sony Japan announcement, that the new Icon is for the “Nasne” system, a digital TV recorder from Sony.

If you want to get details on what Nasne is, you can watch the introduction video (published last year) from Sony. This is basically a TV recorder that can connect to a limited amount of Sony-only devices.

For those of you who don’t understand Japanese, this basically lets you record and watch TV on your PS3, Vaio computer, PS Vita, or XPeria tablets. Which I don’t find particularly interesting, but hey, I’m probably not the target audience for the crap that Japanese TV restlessly vomits anyway. Seriously though, who wants a VCR that can only connect to Sony products?

I look like a cool new model of PS3, but I’m really just an expensive VCR crippled with DRM, I’m the Nasne. Nice to meet you

Anyways, it seems a recent firmware update of Nasne now also allows Vita owners in Japan to backup their Vita content to the Nasne’s Hard drive, hence the new icon (and, if you’re not seeing that icon, it’s probably because you don’t have a JP account). The PS4 hypothesis was exciting, and, indeed, not so far from the truth, but the truth is a bit less exciting, sadly :)

(Thanks to Tom via The Z)

1. BahamutBBob’s avatar

I would guess they’re going to add the PS4 to the PS3 button, but I could be wrong.

It makes sense to me, but what makes sense to me doesn’t always (or ever) make sense to Sony :P

1. E’s avatar

I completely agree. It seems like it would make the most sense to do it that way and I assume they will unless they decide to upgrade the USB port to 3.0 or a different format altogether.

2. shades’s avatar

” . . . for the crap that Japanese TV restlessly vomits anyway . . .”
    A more accurate line hasn’t been spoken.

1. Kefkiroth’s avatar

This hurts, as a fan of anime. Why would he make such a generalization?

1. wololo’s avatar

You obviously have never watched japanese tv. I wasn’t talking of anime in particular, but not sure you would actually enjoy them that much if you were actually watching them on tv. They are cut with the dumbest ads you will ever see, every 5 minutes.

1. Z’s avatar

I feel your pain. Plus all those creepy game shows and stuff which are on borderline crazy.

1. wololo’s avatar

Yup, I’ve seen “games” such as “guess who is a transvestite” or “guess which one of these young mothers is actually 13 years old” here.

2. gunblade’s avatar

like that one reality game show were they got to get trough the obstical course…..

3. Jamie’s avatar

You’re a big troll. “Seriously though, who wants a VCR that can only connect to Sony products?”

You obviously never used it, because you can use NASNE with any random-and-compliant DTCP-IP compatible client.

But no, it’s much easier for you to talk bullshit because it’s a Sony product.

1. wololo’s avatar

Guilty as charged, I do not have any interest in that device. In my defense, the promotion description of the product ONLY mentions compatibility with Sony products, I was not trolling, merely quoting what Sony themselves tell in the video that is promoting the product. They should be a better job at explaining this works with non Sony devices.

Look at the video and tell me if they mention a single time “works with any computer”. They don’t, they keep saying “you can plug in your VAIO and…”

Edit: I’m not the only one being misled it seems:

Edit: which makes me think *you* might be the one not understanding what this is about? 90% of the features of this product do not work on non Sony devices

2. gunblade’s avatar

yea think with the vios u had to download a program .. it saposed to work with the psp think i heard.. ooh dude microsoft got amd unviealing of the xbox i think its in washington but can watch it online i wod go but with all this maraton stuff thing seems poit less again so ill maybe watch it on tv like may is anything …

2. gunblade’s avatar

yea they even have like this werd game on the psn somkind of man in spedo idk wy jap game dont jus stea to rpg n ahit but its under psx classsic i watch groude or was it scary movie kawisaki.. but yea wy japanise building have like typhoon rooofs but its like on a volcano.. or was that wy had hot spring in the fedual era seen it on inuyasha well the hot springs.. well allwas heard the cherry blossom r nice in bloom.. alway wanted to go to japan but i guess wont get to plane far n all even do now u can bring small nives on the plane. this vita suck rather have been in the boat. or the joyride with cuz.. well nice ass day

3. ASKidwai’s avatar

Sony had announced a long time ago that they would add Nasne and torne support for the Vita. This is no surprise, and I don’t doubt they’ll add the PS4 button when it’s ready. We haven’t even seen the PS4, so isn’t a bit early to speculate at the moment?

4. aerinas’s avatar

I wish I could connect my Vita to my NAS instead :<

1. decius’s avatar

This ^

Just another version of LocationFree player. lol.

5. lolol’s avatar

Am I the only one who thinks it looks like a toilet

But it could be that I was watching this

6. qubix’s avatar

Well, obviously there not going to update the Vita’s firmware for support with PS4 this early. Why would they? The PS4 hasn’t even got an official release date yet, other than the 2013 holiday season, which has a good chance of being pushed ahead further.

7. WolfRamiO’s avatar

m… thay can ue the ps3 button for the ps4 too, something like “ps3/ps4″

1. BigCockSurprise’s avatar

exactly what i was thinking

8. WUT’s avatar

I think you mean DVR player…

9. wartaf’s avatar

not so great :D

10. Leires’s avatar

I’ll tell you who wants to, wololo! People who are nsane.

11. gunblade’s avatar

so then nasne finaly coming to us cool i guess meadia storage for the vita…well if they not supproting the ps3 think sony will jus switch the ps3 button to ps4

12. aksk’s avatar

nasne and torne systems are so usefull.
    If you have PS3, torne and monitor, then you don’t have to buy a TV!

13. DarkAlex’s avatar

duhh…The cross-compatibility with the PS4 and the PS Vita are going to be more important than you might have first thought. It’s obvious that the vita will be the gaming console that the ps4 sys will use. So it seems that cross-platform control that Sony was so keen to advertise during the PS4 announcement is for a reason – these two platforms were developed together…

1. gunblade’s avatar

so then like the wii u tablet remote so i guess need one more for two vita ps4….?..or like remote play… guess the new color n 4g coming out with the ps4..

14. gunblade’s avatar

i dont get sony n there randoms yea free final fantasy yea vita sale gamestop only one one nity nine for a 3g yea special discount on pre owned game yea rather be like nice gold plated glock cuz..

1. wololo’s avatar

This one never gets old :)