The cold truth: PS Vita sold less in one year than the PSP in 1 month

1. Bullshiters says:

When the PSVita is fully hacked I think it will sell pretty well

• Bullshiters says:

The ability to play all games for free and buy only the they like well is what people really want when they invest their money on a console…not to mention HOMEBREWS!!!! \(0o0)/

2. Word Up says:

I hope for a kernel exploit for 2.11. To get what small additional % of what’s possible in a vita. Because the scene made it avail., too. To think that SONY has thrown in the towel on vita (yet not voicing so publicly) makes me angry. They will say they Stand Behind and Fully support it’s greatness, While actually have plans to relieve themselves of their self imposed burden.Phasing it out, sorta speak. My guess to is that they are now so disappointed, That PROFITS! Make their board members smile in clenched teeth. Even when that means they won’t pay for the making of a popular game that actually utilizes the power inside their vita.

3. marcotizer says:

piracy did kill the vita. if you think about it, gamers got used to the idea of having a cfw on our handheld games. we’re spoiled. when the psp scene started we were excited for the handheld itself, not the possibility of it being hacked. so we bought and developers created games for the psp at the start of its life. ever since it was possible for the psp to be hacked, no need to buy games, when the next generation handheld gaming arrived, the vita, everyone was hesitant and are expecting that soon enough it’ll be hacked. we’re spoiled. many fans of the psp are no longer intruiged with buying individual games for a handheld. that’s why many of you are here, waiting for the vita to be hacked, waiting for exploits. with this mind set, developers are hesitant with putting out games with the fear of not gaining money in the cfw vita scene if ever it comes to light. and with no games, gamers who actually buy games have nothing to look forward to. piracy killed the vita. but we don’t care, we just want things for free.

• wololo says:

The way you think is extremely convoluted. So now, piracy doesn’t need to exist anymore to be a threat to a system, just the mere idea that there used to be piracy on another system is good enough to blame it? You realize what you type is completely out of this world, right?

• mlc says:

@wololo If not for all the people who take ridiculous positions in online comments on pretty much any topic, I’d assume that this guy was trying to troll you.

• x eye says:

wololo I’m new to this site but am I to understand… you’re actually Disagreeing with this guy? okay then speaking for myself thats how it was for me, and it took a lot of introspection to finally understand that. however i think the problem piracy is more than just about stealing or sales. i think it’s about socioeconomic discrimination on the part of the various companies and their sycophants. so it results in a ‘my blackberry is better than your ipod‘ mentality. or ‘if you can’t afford our product just eat cake‘ attitude (see a later poster below) i call it ‘Marie Antoinette syndrome‘ and i think it’s terrible. what if tv and radio run that way? what if ppl had to pay $500 to watch a cartoon or a sitcom? i really hope we can all this more at another time because it is a serious problem. maybe you can do an article on it wololo. that is- if you don’t think I’m talking lol

• marcotizer says:

when the vita gets fully hacked, the vita sales will rise, but not their games. go to gamestop, and see if you would spend a penny on their psp games. no right, cuz you already know it’ll be a waste of money. same goes for the vita. developers only gain money from their sales, if no one will purchase the physical or digital copy of the game these devs will no longer produce games for you. cod games only survived the hacking scene cuz of the online multiplayer function, not a hacked soul can do that, unless they want to be banned. so please readers, support your developers, unless the only games you want to use the vita for is homebrews.

• Bullshiters says:

So you’re saying that the PSVita fails because people are expecting that it will be hacked so easily like the PSP?
      Then Why not blame Sony for making the PSP so easy to hack….

• internally-blazed says:

Piracy has not killed the vita. You could say the same for the Wii U? But you cant. Thats the wrong way to think about it.

Piracy is just damn right rude, inconsiderate and an excuse for people not to buy games. Im a developer myself and i hate peoples poor execuses. If they cant afford it then its a luxury they cant have, yes CANT have simple. Same as if they can’t afford a nice car, they cant go stealing one….

Plus if you really die for homebrew, as most people ‘say’ they do. Then just use your smart phone and your PC. Theres a million much better emulators and homebrew apps free out.

I bought Vita for Uncharted, Rayman, Little Deviants and Fifa and the chance of GTA and also since it was on a very very very good offer at stores that were closing in my area.

I really hope no CFW comes on Vita at all and it stays on VHBL. At least that way there’s no chance of the console being ruined.

Whats actually killing the vita is its price point compared to its current gen competitors. And the lack of games.

Yes at first i came here for exploits, but i like the forum and i really enjoy reading blog posts so i’ve stayed.

4. Juan says:

I dont undestand … i saw on IGN that vita sold more than 3ds in japan , who is saying the lie here?

5. yepyup says:

In my opinion this is a sign that the vita hacking community should leave the vita alone for a while. What sells a system is games, and it cannot get games if the system is easy to pirate for and devs don’t want to lose all their sales. Same thing happened to psp’s later life in the west, lack of games coming out due to piracy. Vita scene should wait 1 or more years until vita has been firmly established like the 3ds has. In fact, the 3ds has been established, so it is safe to people to work on it since it already has a userbase and dev support. TLDR: Vita should be void of hacking for a while, and people should stat to focus on 3DS hacking.

• bcdiscman says:

The hackers should avoid hacking the PS Vita until it is establlished like the 3DS??? the 3DS has been hacked FOR OVER A YEAR!!!

• ohcomeon says:

Then please show me anything that has come of it? The 3Ds has an exploit found for a while, but no type of homebrew or anything can run. Its hacked in a sense that there was a hole found in the fence, but no one has yet to pass through.

• kenny2858 says:

3Ds sucks… we barely have any devs working on ps vita. Why should these devs move to 3Ds hacking? Why would you want to hack a 3Ds? The only good thing are the games… but why if you can literally play 3Ds games on vita. 3Ds compared to vita is nothing. Isnt 3Ds compatible with other Ds games? So whats the point? make the system faster? Graphics arent even that good. My point is that 3Ds suck and you’re Mad Bro?

• opdo says:

I didn’t read past, “you can literally play 3Ds games on vita”, how are you this misinformed?

• kenny2858 says:

No, but if it got hacked, im sure it could.

• gtrobo says:

@kenny2858
            No, it couldn’t you technologically challenged troglodyte. Trying to explain to you why it couldn’t would be like teaching sign language to the blind, but it will not.

• jeebs says:

lack of games? what the heck are you talking about? PSP ending lifecycle had coming great games Gran Turismo, MGSPW, GoW GOS,etc. Ending lifecycle + the fact that PSP was COMPLETELY hacked even a hobo would be able to hack it’s PSP. Are you high on crack?

• ohcomeon says:

Educate yourself. There were a ton of cancelled projects, and japanese games stopped being localized because the west psp software sales were abysmal.

6. The Kick says:

Aside from my PSN psp games I only keep one Vita game on my card: UmvC3. A failure is a failure. Wait for a kexploit and stay on that firmware. Snag some psp games, and that’s all I can forecast ATM.

7. edukarlo says:

TTT2 and TKxSF will surely fire up vita sales.. and when unpatched emulators will be available, surely, vita sales will increase..

8. bcdiscman says:

Please don’t give me the “piracy killed the…” bull-***!!! I have a hacked PS3 & a hacked WII. My brother has a hacked Xbox360. All three of these consoles are known to be hacked and yet they still get the newest titles!!! Sony uses the “piracy is killing us” excuse as a scapegoat for their horrible marketing, prices and to excuse the way they treat their customers. The Nintendo DS and 3DS have both been hacked but Nintendo doesn’t care/blame piracy because they market/price their devices better and because of this they have a much better market share!!!

• jeebs says:

PS Vita is dead aswell as the hacking scene for it. If there is any since VHBL and all these CEF we every day dont count for sht really. I truly wonder why people wastes their lifes doing VHBL’s and CEF. Can any of you people answer that? TheZ? Total Noob? anyone like you guys. Seriously? who the heck has not bought a freaking PSP already? christ there’s even PC emulators.

Even SO!! thanks to those guys wasting their time doing VHBL and CEF versions, PS Vita has some popularity. You still see some news. Hey new VHBL! hey ninja release! hey look yet another CEF!! other than that what has been up to PS Vita? nothing.

And very well said bcdiscman. What the heck can you expect when you lock a system so badly as PS Vita with all kind of proprietary BS.

The tip of the iceberg will be : proprietary TV out cable. Seriously PS Vita has nothing over my PSP when it comes to great apps and homebrews. It’s like an antique version of the PSP.

Keep it like this Sony and PS Vita will end up just like PSP Go.

• kenny2858 says:

I didn’t read everything. So you’re raging because their helping others? I mean.. its THEIR free time, not YOURS. You made me realize that thanks to them, I believe in humanity again. THEIR not charging 20, 30, 40, 50, 100, or not even 1 dollar for a exploit. They deserve to get paid & they only get money from people that give them through paypal. I didn’t give them a penny for exploits and they kept on releasing them & I kept getting them, FREE. THEY should honestly charge at least for the save file but THEY dont. You made me realize a lot. I never honestly cared for them but now that I read 20% of your paragraph, I realized that THEY care for US but WE DONT. I honestly how THEY keep releasing exploits if we don’t CARE. If I could, I would give TheZ 100$ for keeping it up and not letting the exploits die. Imagine, it takes weeks if not, months to patch everything & make the perfect VHBL or eCFW exploit.THEY waste their time for US. And THEY rarely get any money compared to what THEY should get. I hope that answers some questions.

• kenny2858 says:

@bcdiscman they still release titles because not EVERYONE has CFW on their systems. Hacking things like phones isn’t new and everyone with a phone wants their phone hacked. So, replace the 2nd phone to Ps Vita. If the vita got hacked, It would ruin online for people like how it happened on psp. I understand that sony isn’t doing *** right now but still…we have to be patient… go hack on mw2 or something.

9. jeebs says:

And nice article wololo. I like the ending phrase.

10. dan says:

wololo where can you buy a flashcard for 3ds like a ds one thats compatible with 3ds

11. The vita will give the ps4 a better playing experience I bet. Then more units of ps vita will sale. It’s all sales techniques watch you’ll see

12. some guy says:

I remember trying to find emulators for my PSP when I saw the games folder on it’s memory stick. Til then I was just using it as MP3 player, cause I got tired of soloing Untold Legends.

13. Yo!

Im playing games since 1990 or so , got almost everything I could from the “yellow cassettese” stuff to atari , c64 , 286 pc blabla and now I rather play on those…instead of getting a damaged brain because of a game I bought for a lot of bucks on my vita which produces me like 20 fps from zero to the end…yeah AC III. L. Jesus cries…..you know what…and this the smallest problem …Above of all I just finished golden sun last night and heck it gave me more joy then any other vita games…sry 4 beeing a little of topic but you know what I mean..sry 4 bad english, hope u get it 🙂

14. xliquid snake says:

nesecitamos mas juegos para el vita

15. Raziel says:

well $ony did not make any moneys from me as i bought my Vita used from a guy and all my games were bought used

16. asdf says:

The Vita need more Games … thats all!

17. AyeGuy says:

develop a new fallout game exclusively for the vita and watch how fast sales go up

18. EzpadaZ says:

If $ony makes another portable console. I want my money back. Or that they replace my console with the new one. Because i trusted them. And they punched us in the face. I hope that’s not going to happen.

• hipsterloser says:

how? are you too stupid to find new releases on the ps store? here let me help: GO CLICK ON THE PS STORE ICON AND CLICK NEW RELEASES. I REPEAT, CLICK PS STORE ICON AND THEN CLICK NEW RELEASES

19. yyy says:

“In 2018, when troll gamers tell you piracy killed the Vita, kindly point them to this article, written at a time when the Vita has not been cracked yet.”

I’m not sure if the overall sales of the Vita would be much better if piracy was possible on the Vita. I mean, the hardware sales itself might have been a bit higher, but the software sales are also very important. I dont think that Sony makes that much money on the Vita hardware itself, so just increasing the hardware sales wont do much for their business. They need to increase the software sales as well.

20. romulo says:

eu acho que esse fatos ai e so para derrubar a sony pois cada site diz uma coisa

21. ChinkBoxingking says:

This is why i sold my vita months ago.A new game release once every 2 months isn’t going to help sales at all.How is it possible for a company that isn’t new to slip and fall hard onto the concrete ground?The worst part is that they could care less who ends up with their hardware once all is paid for they will just release a extremely cheaper version of the same product or move on to another producing another whole new console.Sorry sony but like the many here say *** you!

22. Will says:

Unfortunately Sony don’t seem to realize that the cost of living has gone up and people who could shell out £200 for a handheld 7 years ago may not be able to in the current economy. Regardless of what Sony chooses to do the Vita will need a price reduction to encourage people to invest in their system. But £300 (console + 16gb memory card + game) is too much when the ps3 only costs £200. If the Vita’s price was reduced significantly, the proprietary memory cards as they are unnecessary and more third party developers were given incentives to develop exclusive must have games for the vita either financially or otherwise then the Vita could encourage tablet & phone gamers to try something different. However if Sony continues their current Vita strategy then developers would continue to develop for other systems instead which would force Sony to either discontinue the Vita Prematurely or accept the large financial burden of the system.

23. TStrauss says:

It’s a game problem. Yes, the Vita has games. Some very good games. But the 3DS has more. If I didn’t have both already and I were handheld shopping, I’d go 3DS. It’s just common sense, you get more game for your buck with a 3DS right now. The PSP had the same problem–good games, but not enough of them–and were it not for Monster Hunter in Japan, the PSP would be a footnote on a Wikipedia entry right now.

The coming titles for the Vita are pretty nice, but when you compare the AAA list for Vita to the 3DS, you realize that Nintendo has as many first party games in the pipe as the Vita has AAAs. Ouch.

Sony needs to court third parties. Hard. They can’t lean on Monster Hunter anymore. Get some Metal Gears, some GTAs, games that the 3DS just can’t handle. The Vita is a beast of a handheld, and offers a gaming experience that can’t be matched. Consumers need to be shown that, and then they’ll buy in.

• Onetwothree says:

Yeah the 3ds is so *** as it does have a lists of worthy games like monster hunter 3U, kingdom hearts, resident evil revelations, Fire emblem, and more.

• Thrawn says:

… zelda oot, castlevania, dead or alive dimensions, tekken, street fighter, starfox, asphalt and driver, need for speed, resident evil mercenaries, splinter cell, fifa 13, sims 3, cave story, …. yeah *** games as far as the eye can see… all on the 3ds XD

24. no fucks given says:

sony just needs to port ps2 games to the vita naw THAT will make it sell

• Acid_Snake says:

heck no, I don’t wanna play games I’ve already played a thousand times, I wanna play new games

• Thrawn says:

Yeah of course there are people that wouldn’t like to play ps2 games on the vita, but imo I would like to.
        Especially shadow or black or rogue galaxy…
        But maybe they will implement an emu for that in the vita.

25. k3nn says:

the vita died because no one (in their right mind) wants to re-buy their games in the psp for the vita. when $ony stopped the umd and didn’t give users a way to convert them for playing in the vita, that sealed the vita’s fate. that’s why everyone is looking for a vita hack even for just the psp emu, so they could play their psp games in it.

26. jesus says:

well i think vita needs more games interesting apps and then maybe can sell more vitas and of course exclusive games please thanks

27. aerinas says:

Just because of that sentence I’m gonna bookmark this article for as long as possible, so I can do that xD

28. lennyvita says:

I can say for me the cost of the vita is hurting sales. Who is going to spend $249 plus $50 for memory card, $40 for a game. You can get a ps3 for less. I also got my two vitas used for half the cost of new. This system is great but way overpriced. I wanted a vita for a long time but just too much, had to buy used. If sony wants the vita in more peoples hands, drop the price. There is too much competition with smartphones and the 3ds to try to sell the vita at the price sony asks.

• hipsterloser says:

so the vita is too expensive at $250 but it wasn’t when the 3ds *** was at the same price a year ago? /logic

29. ChuSound says:

The Vita is great as a bedtime system for some web browsing before going to sleep. Now, if they would release the promised crunchyroll app, I would have something else to do before nitenite.

30. sniper.jay says:

“when troll gamers tell you piracy killed the Vita, kindly point them to this article, written at a time when the Vita has not been cracked yet.”

I applauded !!!

31. n3rk3 says:

There is Not One Game Out there for the Vita that realy rocks.

32. wowohoo says:

the vita is still improving

33. isnizal says:

dumb sony,make piracy hard to vita…that why no one buy lol……and also,,,,,,no pirate game…alwasy update and update….

34. Troll gamer says:

PIRACY KILLED VITA, THAT’S WHY NO ONE IS BUYING IT. STOP THE VHBL ***!!!!!111ONEONEONE

35. jeebs says:

Wololo should make an article regarding PSP software sales and compare them to the respective CFW for those periods.

I mean Gran Turismo sold 3.86 million, when PSP was hacked to heck and back.

Monster Hunter 3rd sold 4mil for a 2010 title.Read >> when in 2010 every kid around the block could install CFW on it’s PSP.

And then take a look at Monster Hunter Freedom 2 with 2.3mil sales. For a title that launched in 2007. When PSP wasnt as easy as now to hack it.

How a 2007 title sold less than a 2010 title? read 2007-hacking scene not so big vs 2010-psp hacking scene flourishing. Im not defending piracy, it does takes it’s toll i agree. But let’s not rename piracy to “platform killer”, “the apocalypse knight” for PSP or PS Vita.

The thing is great games sell well no matter what. Dont you ever had that feeling : hey! this game is fantastic! even thought i pirated it, i will definately buy it, because devs deserve my money for such a great game. I did just that with lots of PSP titles.

All im saying is that CFW can be a beneficial thing for PS Vita too. Not ONLY a bad thing. I can only imagine what amazing apps, talented people out there could create for it. Something SONY doesnt care doing it for us, but we will do it ourselves. And cool apps=popularity. What the heck it’s the same concept as ARMA 2 DayZ. Barely anyone cared about arma 2, but since DayZ mod, now the internet is starting to get filled with more DayZ videos,articles,etc than with cod ones.

It’s a shame to see Vita suffering like this, because SONY wants it completely locked.

• James D. says:

The problem is a lot of developers are being scared off because of the Vita’s reputation of being “hacked” thanks to the PSP. It’s reputation is holding it back and Sony is trying to clean up (albeit doing a sh*t job, but trying nonetheless). This is especially damning because not many people own a Vita.

The Vita’s sales won’t go up if it gets fully hacked. You people are delusional.

We’re lucky we still have xseed and some other faithful developers that are willing to put games on the Vita.

Still hoping Capcom decides to put MH on the Vita, but Soul Sacrifice will have to do for now.

• James D. says:

I’m hoping Sony keeps the Vita under control and the “hackers” make the smart decision and not release anything too big until the Vita shapes up.

Pirating Vita games right now would be extremely detrimental to the Vita’s growth. Not only does no one own a Vita right now, all the developers are being scared off.

No developers = no games/localization = dead system

This only applies to the Northern market. Japan is doing just fine with it’s game. And if you’re fortunate enough to read Japanese like I can, you’ll be having a blast with the Vita. 🙂

• Theilor says:

With the hack, more people buy the console and play the games, so these people recommends these games. Then the people who listen these recommends may buy the games.

36. Graham says:

I brought a Vita at launch a year later I still regret buying it. If I was to add up the time i’ve used it in the last year it would be about 2 months. I have not taken it out of its case since December last year!

There are games for it yes but none that are in my opinion any good, the games catalog for the Vita is too small to appeal to everyone thats the biggest problem, and if no one buys the console no developer in their right mind will make a game for it.

I play on my android tablet every day and that thing cost me £60 where as the Vita was closer to £300!

37. Adam's Smith says:

The Vita needs more great games. Heck, the Vita needs more games period. And make them a lot cheaper ffs! Playstation mobile games can suck the Lemmings’s ***.

38. TheSMART says:

All those saying the PSVita needs more games… I don’t get it, I hardly have the time to finish all the good games that are out on PSVita up till now. I am guessing people that demand more games have no job and life?

I mean… I got PS+ too and I can’t keep up with the free good and many games it gives me all these months. I bought Uncharted and Mortal Kombat retail at/just after launch, got Stardust Delta, Motorstorm RC, Hustle Kings and some other PSN stuff back then.

Since then I bought Sound Shapes and some other PSN games, and Guacamelee recently, and PS+ got me Gravity Rush, Wipeout 2048, Puddle, Zero Escape, Mutant Blobs, Metal Gear HD Collection, Big Sky Infinity, Knytt Underground, Lumines, Pinball Arcade and Sine Mora soon.

Then, I still have to buy LittleBigPlanet Vita, Persona 4 Golden, DJMAX, a Fifa 12 or 13 whatever is cheapest and upcoming games Tearaway and Killzone Mercenary, aside of all upcoming free games every month on PS+ that will add onto this.

Man, the 3DS has a far, far less diverse and long list of great rated games. All it does is Mario, Zelda rehash.

• smcrzgi says:

lolz. mario is a given, but i do beleive currently there is only one zelda on the 3ds. all the other games are not mario or zelda. sooo……. dont know what your smokin.

39. ultimatex says:

$ony make a high specs console but the games are very low for gamers, and what the heck happen in konami, squareenix?? why dont give us adventure and rpg games.

1. April 21, 2013

[…] the only Sony high-def collection coming to PS Vita. The ESRB has rated the Sly Collection for PS Vita, as […]