A Cool Little Thing Called Sugru. My Experience.

Now, before you click to read, believe it or not this isn’t and never was a kickstarter project. I recently came across something called Sugru, It’s a special compound silicone that……. nevermind. It’s blu-tac that dries :)

Now although it comes in reasonable small packs of 5 grams, you don’t realise how far it goes. For the pic above, I only used less than half a pack.

Below are a few of applications of what I’ve done with Sugru. There’s so many you don’t even realise. Oh, and above, that’s something I did as well, pretty awesome!

Sugru is my new best bud. I love how much you can do with it, I am always thinking of new ways for things to do with it. If you fancy looking at a few more applications it can be used for, look here

At face value, it doesn’t seem like you get much, but like I said it goes pretty far, using one sachet I was able to add the triggers to my PlayStation controller, little bits on the bottom of my PS3 so it has more grip, stick the volume controller to the desk and also make a little bump so my games don’t fall (only the blue one)

God of War, such an excellent game.

I am thinking of modding my controller a little bit more by putting a little ring on my analogue sticks, a little bit like the PS4 has, but I only have 2 colours left, yellow and white. Which one should I use?

On the topic of controller modding, I won’t be go overboard unlike this guy here.

Here’s some pictures of what I have used Sugru with.

Fixing my headset voice/volume controller to the desk.

Bumpers for my sisters tablet. It probably isn’t enough but still, she’s happy.

Fixing my light switch to the wall

If you put it at the bottom of your mug/anything ceramic it makes it a lot quieter, being as rubber/ silicone is touching the surface rather than a hard object.

At the same time as buying the Sugru, I also bought some small circular lego pieces, I applied a bit of Sugru to them, one of the side of my bed, and another to a cable so now my cables hang from my bedside rather than me fumbling around on the floor trying to find them :)

The next pack I open will be white, being as my Ipod charging/ syncing cable (Yes I have an Idevice, sorry) it’s atrocious. When I fix it I’ll post a picture of before and after at the bottom of one of my blog posts :)

It is water proof, temperature proof, and pretty much everything proof, so no need to worry about putting it in the dishy washy.

Laptop stands, comfier earphone plugs, mobile phone dock, headphone stand, remote holder. The possibilities are endless!

No blog post from me is complete without a video! So here it is :)

Their official website is here

If you haven’t realised, I’m not the best at moulding.

1. swag’s avatar

you know what i am…

2. kuagelo’s avatar

It looks.. handy. I found the Lego bit particularly amusing :D

3. tryrush deppy’s avatar

water proof huh… how about non-toxic? i’d like to make a g-spot dildo.

1. cboushell’s avatar

You don’t need Sugru for that I’ve got fingers.

4. oO Flowzilla Oo’s avatar

But if it dries, won’t you be able to take it off?

1. Minimur12’s avatar

No, it sticks and it’s goes super solid. :)

1. Bullshiters’s avatar

It goes solid? I thought it’s rubber and is it non-toxic?

5. John’s avatar

This hurts. Its not even about gaming now. Stick to depth, not breadth, because these typo filled articles really turn me off to this site now, which hurts to say.

1. John’s avatar

I’m going to get flack, but even look at the banner. Many of these articles are about making a quick laugh, not like it used to be.

1. nero’s avatar

so just because this is a blog about video games, no ones allowed to make a post about something else that’s interesting? why dont you go on your way and make your own game blog then?

2. DS_Marine’s avatar

It’s ok that you don’t like it, but a little advice for you…
        If it doesn’t say ‘Vita’ or ‘Exploit’ in the title, don’t read it.
        Problem solved.

3. wololo’s avatar

John, for the record I am reading these comments and taking them into account. I’ll discuss this with the bloggers team to make sure we stay focused on our core topics. That being said I think we’re doing a pretty good job at keeping the focus on hacks and games, and we only publish those “alternate” stories when the news on the hacking front are slow :)

I’d like to reply “if you don’t like a specific article, don’t read it”, but I also understand the importance of us sticking to the subjects people come to read here. Thanks to you and others for actually taking the time to comment and state your opinion, it is appreciated.

1. loketar’s avatar

Personally I can’t thank you enough for this post, I have literally just finished reading it and I have 10+ uses, this stuff seems genius thank you very much minimur

1. loketar’s avatar

Also, it is not like they are posting this in place of any hacking news, as Wololo said it is posted when hacking news is scarce. People could always go find another site for VHBL….wait….

2. sitefan’s avatar

I enjoy the balance the blog strikes. I know I can trust the blog to have the important news articles when things happen, but enjoy side articles in the meantime.

3. JeoWay’s avatar

Wololo, don’t put anything on the bloggers, just because someone doesn’t like this because it won’t give them the ability to run homebrew is a pretty stupid reason. Also, he could simply just read the ones about “Vita”.

Personally, I get tired of the PSV Scene and these posts are what keep me pretty active when off the forums.

4. John’s avatar

That’s perfect. I don’t want to be hypercritical and no offense to minimur at all, since a lot of people are enjoying these articles. I’ve just seen so many good blogs fall apart and I really like this one. Much respect to everyone in the scene and all the authors! Thank you!

5. kenny2858’s avatar

@wololo Its better to post something than nothing right? Long story short xD

4. Spokes’s avatar

John, GTH. Don’t like it don’t read it simple as that. These OT articles are great and always interesting. Thanks Minimur keep up the great work.

2. unhappy’s avatar

I agree 100% but I am not sure if any of my full worded responses are going to filter through or if I’ll just keep getting moderated.

6. svenn’s avatar

Well, Sugru is cool, but i’m against this prop. stuff, I think its to expensive. I mean the research is expensive I get it, but generally I want more then 20ml to do stuff with.

This is however more hardware repair and less the topic I would expect here; Though its still in the do-it-yourself-hack-stuff cat. And that’s what we are here for no ?

7. ricerrr’s avatar

i got a bumper case for my phone to protect it i doped it and it hit a rock right on the screen getting it shattered. is my bumper for my phone didnt work how will this work?

1. kuagelo’s avatar

Make a 5cm thick bumper? :D

Besides, I think bumpers are meant to protect the surface from scratches, not severe physical damage.

1. Minimur 12’s avatar

out of sugru, of course ;)

8. capcomlegend’s avatar

wtf is this! lol the controller is graphic looking lmfao

9. The Z’s avatar

Meanwhile in Japan…

10. mamimi’s avatar

I’m not really one who is terribly concerned with aesthetics, but these little colored bits of stuff all over everything, no matter how useful it is, is really ugly. I can honestly see how it could be good for organiing cables, or keeping volume knobs and such in place, but it looks awful. Do they at least make it in black? Now, if you took your time to make the balls of gunk smooth and consistent in size and shape, and as small as possible (and in white or black), it might look okay, but man, as it is, it looks like a kid slopped play-doh on some electronics and the wall.

1. Minimur12’s avatar

I know it does, but I don’t really mind because the cup; I don’t see it.
      Tablet; not mine (lol) ps3 triggers i like, but I’ll refine those when I open the next pack. Along with adding to the analogue sticks :)

11. thewizard’s avatar

have you ever thought about going into advertising? cause i never would have thought about buying this stuff untill i read your post and watched the vid. im gonna get some of this stuff to put concave analogs on my vita! ive always hated convex.. it just doesnt feel right to me. i will probably add to the bumpers and back grip as well;)

1. Minimur 12’s avatar

that is such a good idea! I am so going that when i get some black sugru next!

12. Dark_Alex’s avatar

this is an embarrassment
    you’re not keeping up with ps new at all. what are you like 15? come;on.. viva mexico

13. Minimur 12’s avatar

Will post a second article tommorow. Just received my black Sugru and used it on my vita.

1. Minimur12’s avatar

IMPOSTER!

14. inicuo’s avatar

why so quiet? playing soul sacrifice or what?

15. yEAH’s avatar

The packaging looks like lube I used to buy when I used to jerkoff a lot.

16. unhappy’s avatar

Minimur12, stop spamming Wololo’s blog.

This blog was at its peak when every post was either technical programming articles by Acid_snake, informed opinions of Wololo, or updates on the scene (try page 50 or earlier in this blog’s archive to see what we’re missing).

Now its an advertising board for more stuff that I don’t want and can’t afford. I was driven here by my open source principles and a distaste for Sony’s business practises, and in general that’s why I am interested in homebrew, programming and hacking. I’m not here for piracy, but I guarantee the majority of users immature enough to enjoy Minimur12′s articles are.

If I had written this article, I would have started by saying Sugru is a modelling clay alternative, like Fimo, Green Stuff and to some extents epoxy. Then I would have shown actual creative use of it. Who gets a modelling clay and then the first thing they do is “prop their games up” with it. What. A. Joke. If my child vandalised my PS3 controllers in such he’d be appropriately punished for being so noob. I use modelling clay alternatives when I mod PSPs for dual analogue sticks, mod BB guns to fit 5mW lasers and fix broken household appliances.

17. dololo’s avatar

I like it. thanks minimur :D

18. dololo’s avatar

could be the next ductape lol

19. Jamis Carter’s avatar

Really? Really. (sighs) Really.

20. solidsnake’s avatar

I like information like this.

I would have never known otherwise.

Thank you.

21. DjNeo’s avatar

How it is its cured state? I mean… How it feels at then end?

22. james way’s avatar

So epoxy putty. Been around ages. I have added small drops of oil paint to white putty to make all sorts of colors, the oil also makes it less “hard” and keeps it from over sticking to surfaces, so if you want to use make a removable bumper, you can. The best part about any of these is that they are sandable. Back when the ipod nano first came out, I wanted a cart mount for it. I custom made one using this putty first to make a mold of the charger stand for it then again to make a new stand with a headphone plug in it. Added some stainless steel hinges and then painted it using black car paint. Came out awesome. Kudos on the creativity here, IE you can make anything to your heart’s content.

23. Nyanboro’s avatar

Dat sugru.

24. capcomlegend’s avatar

Wonder if this would work with spoiler holes on cars to cover them up…and would it hold…