Lower PS Vita Firmwares for Dummies

Still on a lower firmware and don’t want to update? Here is a comprehensive guide to manually updating to a firmware, activating and linking a Ps Vita, getting exploits after they’re pulled, copying content and more!

Just like the popular “For Dummies” guides, this guide will follow in the same fashion making it easy to understand, efficient, and quick for you to learn from without getting too technical. Ill be covering a wide variety of topics and issues that can be intrinsic when being on a lower OFW on the PS Vita. Some of these tricks have been previously posted and some haven’t been posted on the blog until now. Make sure to follow each step carefully and thoroughly and you will be well on your way to owning the Vita instead of it owning you. ;)

(Note: Most of these use Charles Proxy, however you can also use Fiddler in the same manner.)

Manually Updating to any firmware from a lower firmware

Manually updating to a certain firmware from a lower one can be extremely helpful, especially if you’d like to get a certain exploit (which I describe how to do later on). This is not a way to downgrade, currently there is no such method to do so. If needed, you can grab any update backed up here thanks to The Z.

1. Download and install “PS3.ProxyServer.GUI
2. Start PS3.ProxyServer.GUI and Type in your PC’s IP then select “PSP Mode” and click Start..
3. Click the Logs Tab, Then on your Vita Go to WiFi Settings and enter your PC’s IP for the Proxy.
4. Go to System Update and click “Update Using Wi-Fi”.. It will show the Latest Version then click “Next” and “Yes” Then “Do Not Accept” and “Yes”.. This will give you the Link to the PUP file it will download and install..
5. Copy this link from the Logs screen and click “Replace File” Tab.. Past that link on the left side. On the Right side click the Little button and select the PUP file you want to install.
6. Now click the “Logs” Tab again and click “Update Using Wi-Fi” and make sure in the “Logs” Tab is says that the files has been Redirected to a local file.
7. Done you can update to any Version you want.. (You can not downgrade this way)

Using Content Manager on a lower firmware and without an internet connection

The official CMA (Content Manager Assistant) for the computer from Sony doesn’t allow you to use it on a lower firmware or without internet thus blocking you from being able to copy content to your Vita. In addition it also contacts Sony’s servers exchanging information about you which pretty much invades your privacy. Most of you by now should be aware of the solution to this, Open CMA.

So what exactly is Open CMA? Open CMA is the same as the official Sony version but modified, so that you can copy files without any internet connection unlike the official Sony CMA which requires a constant internet connection to the Sony Servers. It will also not sneak a patch or do a forced firmware update on your device if one comes out and it will not send any data to Sony or their servers about whats being copied, edited, and transferred. Open CMA also does not collect data regarding crashes.

So to install Open CMA, you’ll need to first download it, there are two versions to compensate for a block that Sony incorporated in earlier firmwares. (Note: Open CMA is right now for PC only, but will be posted for Linux and OSX soon.)

Open CMA 4.5 for Firmwares 1.81 and below: here

Open CMA 5 for Firmwares 2.00 and above: here

Each of the Official release pages linked above incorporate both the downloads and instructions to install. As of Vita firmware 2.10 if you already had Open CMA 5 you’ll need to download the latest Official CMA client from Sony and then reinstall the Open CMA patch.

Transferring content/ Obtaining Exploits (that are back on PSN) and transferring (PS3 Required)

Now here is something a lot of people are unaware of; you can download exploits that were taken off PSN and put back up later and use it as long as your Vita is on the right firmware. So this is extremely helpful if you happen to buy a new Vita, miss the exploit release or happen to accidentally delete the exploitable game while it was pulled. Below is the method and a chart containing the exploits, their respective firmwares, if they’re on PSN and if they’re either Usermode or Kernel exploits. Note that a kernel exploit IF released can be ported to older usermode exploits in most cases.

Remember:

• Usermode>VHBL>Limited access so Homebrew/Emulators ONLY (No PSX either)
  • Kernel exploit>CustomEmulatorFirmwares (TN-C,TN-V, ARK)>PSP backups, PSX games, Plugins, homebrew ect.

VitaExploitChart

(the latest version of this image can be found here)

Getting a exploit game (or any other content)on to your Vita via OpenCMA PS3 trick
1. Look in the Playstation Store for an exploit game (or other content) that is working on your OFW.
2. Download it to your PS3 and leave it in the bubble.
3. Connect your PS Vita with your PC via Open CMA.
5. Copy exploit game (or other content) on to your Vita.

Activating and Linking a PS Vita (PS3 Required)

This is a highly unknown trick and can save you a lot of trouble and stress. This trick is especially useful if you happen to reset your Vita or buy a new one. If you need to just activate, follow and skip to part 2 (however if that doesnt work for some reason try redoing it but by following both parts.)

• Part 1 (Linking your PSN account)
  1. Power off your Vita completely
  2. Push and hold the PS Logo Button + the R shoulder Button + the Power Button. Hold them for a few seconds, till the screen goes on and the recovery menu appears.
  3. Select option 4. Restore the PS Vita System.
  4. Wait till the Vita boots up again and follow the instructions till it asks you if you would like to link you’re Vita with you’re PSN Account. Do this now because it’s the only way to avoid the update.
  • Part 2 (Activating your PSvita)

1. To activate you simply need to download any game that you’ve bought previously (or get a new one) with the PSN account thats tied to your Vita on the PS3.

2. Transfer said game over to your Playstation Vita and install it. Launching the game will then activate your Vita with your account.

Netflix on a lower firmware

Netflix is not available to you on lower firmwares and will ask you to update, but luckily I have an easy-to-use method to get around that barrier by blocking certain domains. You’ll need a computer to do this.

1. You have to have Charles installed first. Start it up, and route your internet Vita traffic to it. This is done by setting your proxy in the vita to the IP address of your computer Charles is running on. It would be something like 192.168.1.1 (though this only works on your local network, unless you do port forwarding, ect). Then you set the port, 8888.
  2. Now, you can navigate to the Netflix app and start it up.
  3. You should see items popping up on Charles. Right click and blacklist at least “http://fus01.psp2.update.playstation.net” (though I did every viable non-Netflix url.)
  4. Then run Netflix again, and it works. Next time you try to log into Netflix, the Vita will think Sony’s servers are down and will give you an error (NW-10743-5) which is fine, just hit OK and login! Simple as that!

If you want some extra protection against Sony you could also blacklist these as well, which are active while using Netflix.

Thats the end of the guide everyone. Hopefully this helps everyone new or experienced and will help take care of any questions. Ill be doing some more “For Dummies” guides every so often. Have an idea of what the topic should be for the next one? Let me know in the comments below!

1. Prank’s avatar

No falta el idiota que venga a decir “Primero”

1. Fuckencio’s avatar

*bip please
      Soy el segudo

2. inicuo’s avatar

que aburrido, tienes 100 años? let the kids be kids, ademas no falta el idiota que se queja de tonterias y no dice nada del post.

Ps: Thanks wololo!

3. inicuo’s avatar

ohh im a jerk, ahora entiendo, you genius :-D

2. PrankTheIdiot’s avatar

HAHA That was you! xD OJETE

3. Omega’s avatar

Can I play PSN+ games without updating with this trick?

1. CaptainObvious’s avatar

Do you know if it is still possible to access the main PSN store with charles and fiddler?

I thought these were blocked but some users on the forums (as well as one of the previous articles) stated/hinted that they work

1. Jd8531’s avatar

They are patched and have been. Those methods dont work.

4. wartaf’s avatar

nice, but i don’t have PS3 so i cant use it :D

5. trillerkiller’s avatar

can’t get .Net Framework 1.1.4322 on Windows 8

6. icyheart’s avatar

great great great works think yu

7. chuckthetekkie’s avatar

Urbanix and Apache Overkill is still not back in the PSN Store. At least not in the US.

1. Jd8531’s avatar

They are, try looking again. If you don’t see it use the search bar instead.

8. chuckthetekkie’s avatar

I take part of that back. Urbanix is back in the US but Apache Overkill comes up with error NP-2247-5.

9. natsu’s avatar

i enjoy playing UNO…

1. Mr Magoo’s avatar

i am still on my 2.02 uno exloit as well but planning on updating to 2.12 for full speed N64 emu.

10. aure16XD’s avatar

but the games that have been removed from PSN and are back are patched?

1. Jd8531’s avatar

Sony never patches games, they only fix the exploits by new firmware updates.

11. aure16XD’s avatar

I expect a kernel exploit for AO 2.06 :)

1. pupong21’s avatar

me too!! i have a 2.06 vita.is there someone developing a kernel exploit on 2.06?tnx!

12. Kenneth’s avatar

Can i do this on my psvita 2.10

13. whackm’s avatar

Hello all, I think the answer to this question is “NO, YOU CAN’T” but I’d thought I ask just the same.

I am on TnV Urbanix 1.81.
    Earlier this week, I bought the memory card for Dead or Alive 5 at the shop. When I plugged it in, it said I needed to upgrade to OFW 2.05 in order to install/play the game.

Is there any way to play this w/o upgrading, as that means the loss of TnV

1. N’s avatar

The only way to play is by updating.

I also bought DOA5+, and found out you needed to update. So I updated. I don’t miss my UNO exploit too much since I have a PSP still.

All new games like DOA5+, Atelier Totori, etc will require 2.05+. Soul Sacrifice will probably need 2.05+ as well.

2. Jd8531’s avatar

Not that we know of at the moment.

14. Neeko’s avatar

Tengo una Ps Vita 2.10, encontre un tutorial seguro de como downgradear mi firmware (Gracias a DaxHordes) y queria saber si, lo downgradeo a 1.81 puedo aun obtener el Exploit de Urbanix??, aun esta en la Store o Tendre que esperar a que salga algun nuevo Exploit para mi FW? (lo veo dificil ya que sony ha reforzado la seguridad del sistema con cada actualizacion u_u)… ayudenme please

1. Jd8531’s avatar

No se puede degradar a Vita, es imposible. Usted tendrá que esperar hasta la próxima versión exploit.

2. inicuo’s avatar

there is not such a downgrad for vita, what you talking about?

15. Cloudmiu’s avatar

No se puede hacer downgrade desde una versión superior (Por ejemplo, 2.10)?.

1. Jd8531’s avatar

Usted no puede downgrade

1. Neeko’s avatar

Okay, Espero que lanzen pronto algun Kernel Exploit TT^TT Gracias por la info :)

16. Chuckle’s avatar

Can i do it with a ps3 cfw ?
    i do not want to link my ps3 psn to my ps vita psn so when ill get ban my vita will get a ban too ..

1. Jd8531’s avatar

Yep! CFW and OFW PS3s work!

17. Dogggieee’s avatar

So… If I have got OFW 2.06 with exploit Apache overkill I can make “downgrade” on 1.81? THX for answer :) I am DUMMIES :D

1. Jd8531’s avatar

No, it says it right in the article “This is not a way to downgrade, currently there is no such method to do so.”

18. ADRIANO’s avatar

fake video please ?

19. trillerkiller’s avatar

@mistermix thanks, weird I have to install one that is in a different language for it to install right

20. TheOriginalSINe’s avatar

Thank you so much, Jd8531! I was having trouble with the activation and the Open CMA PS3 trick a few weeks ago after I reset my VITA. I have deleted what I was going to say several times while trying to figure out how to accurately express how much joy this post has given me. Thanks again!

1. Jd8531’s avatar

No problem! Glad I could help ^_^

21. YOO’s avatar

I just did the linking shit and of course it’s making me format my card so now i have to rebuy uno, im still on 2.02 can I buy the newer UNO on psn, will the exploit still work?

1. Jd8531’s avatar

They dont patch games so yes you can you shouldn’t have to buy it again just get it from your download history, remember youd need to have a PS3 to copy it over. Or if you backed it up to your PC you can copy it.

22. gogotusho’s avatar

This is not good to post. I know Sony tattle tails are forwarding
    this info like that of the Boston Bombers caught on camera.

1. Jd8531’s avatar

While most of this has been posted before, some has already been something Sony has been aware of. They could coincidentally fix it anyways in a new firmware so its better to make use of them.

23. paul carranza’s avatar

i have a new vita.version 1.80.can i still use the MHFU exploit on my vita or it is already patched by sony?im planning to download the game via ps3 and i will follow your instructions mentioned above..please respond wololo..im a fan of yours and i have many questions to ask you abt psvit/psp…thank you…pls email me… lord_paul_052000@yahoo.com
    thank you again and god bless!!

1. Jd8531’s avatar

They do not patch the game, only through the firmware so yes you can.

24. eric’s avatar

Traded a 2.10 for a 2.02 vita, took care of trsf UNO to vita with Ps3… followed a youtube guy explaning how to finish the job (in order to play ISO’s) WHEN IT SAYS `PRESS x` in order to play Uno, i hold and hold, and the screen blacks out like it should, but nothing for 30 sec, then message of an error C1-2858-3 … going to keep searching, but a little help would be so much appreciated, thanks

1. TJ’s avatar

Sounds like a bad transfer to me – have you tried re-copying Uno and the proper exploit files?

25. TJ’s avatar

So using the OpenCMA/PS3 trick to move an exploit game to my Vita will A) also activate my Vita if my PSN account is already linked and B) work the same way for any other purchased or PS+ games, correct?

Just nabbed a 3G Vita on 1.81 to replace an updated Crystal White one I just sold; I’d like to copy Uno over so I can play my PSP backups, but also my PSN purchases and especially my PS+ games; if I interpreted the guide wrong, let me know.

26. MattAV2013’s avatar

The Charles proxy method and Fiddler do not work anymore :/ as i’m on 2.06 with money to buy Apache overkill but it isn’t on the ps3 store or anywhere for that matter so i thought i might be on the vita?
    Does anyone know how i could access the store to get the game that is apparently back on?
    Thanks.

1. TJ’s avatar

Apache Overkill’s definitely back on the store, at least in the US: https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-us/cid=UP4093-NPUZ00098_00-APACHEOVERKILL00

If you’ve got a PS3, buy it (via the webstore if it doesn’t show up on the PS3 store) and use the OpenCMA/PS3 exploit above, assuming it still works. I’ve had so many delays with getting my memory card that I can’t guarantee how well that works, though.

27. ImNoob’s avatar

my ps vita is on 1.06, how can i update to 1.81 without internet connection? Thx

28. ImNoob’s avatar

Can anybody help me? My PS Vita is on 1.06, how can i update to 1.81 without internet connection? Thx

1. TJ’s avatar

If there’s a game cart with the 1.81 update on it you could use that; I’d assume any game released between late September and mid-late November would have that update on them; Assassin’s Creed: Liberation, Lego LoTR,CoD: Black Ops or Persona 4 Golden would be my best guesses if you’re in the US, but I can’t find any page that says what game card would have what updates, or even that firmware updates are distributed via game card, although I can’t see why they wouldn’t be.

Otherwise you’re going to need the 1.81 update file and a wireless internet connection as described above, sorry.

1. ImNoob’s avatar

Thx for your answer. I´ll try, and later I´ll tell you how it was.

29. ezdenko’s avatar

Hola,
    tengo una ps vita nueva sin vincular con la cuenta de play station network hay forma de actualizar a 1.81 o conectar a mi pc?

30. adriandevera’s avatar

I need help.

I am on 1.67 and I have modded my other vita last christmas. I still have Uno on my PS3 but when I try to mod my other Vita I cant get the Open CMA 4.5 to work with my 1.67 vita. It keeps saying to update… I have done the procedure about 12 times now and I am completely baffled as to why because Ive done this before..

31. PSVFanboy’s avatar

My vita is on 1.81 with the Gravty Crash exploit. How can I update to 2.06 and is it worth doing?

32. fritzgonnabeme’s avatar

can i update to 2.02 from 1.81?

33. mangosteam’s avatar

is there any way to transfer the exploited games without using ps3?

34. mike’s avatar

Hello, i followed the guide and in log tab i see the link i coppied and the redirect to the folder where i downloaded fw 2.60 . now if i go on psv “update wifi” it gives me 2.61 like before…should it give me update to 2.60 ? where did i go wrong,help pls,ty

35. repapermunky’s avatar

I did all steps correctly, ran as admin and it was all successful. Vita version 2.61, I am attempting the Fieldrunners exploit. I purchased and downloaded Fieldrunners on my PS3, and am now trying to get the Vita OpenCMA thing to work. I have WiFi off on my laptop, and every time my vita was asking me to update anyway. Then I reset my Vita, and now its asking me to link an account before I can use CMA. Anyone know what I should do from here? Any help at all would be tremendously appreciated. Don’t want to have wasted money on this game and get nothing. So frustrating.

36. dave1’s avatar

hi, I’m from Ghana and i dont credit card to purchase a any of the exploit games mentioned so can you please share with me some of your minis games like field runners UNO so that i can also use the exploits please…. my ps vita ID is jonesdavid344/ jonesdavid344@yahoo.com

37. Brenza’s avatar

Just one suggestion about copying contents from ps3 (4.55) to psvita (2.60): i had to disable the proxy on my ps3 to start the transfert

38. salvador34’s avatar

can any one help me im using charles proxies but in editing the file i don’t know the var value like 02050000 for the FW 2.02 what is the var value for 3.10? if my guest it right (03100000) nothing happens to the update bypass….im using it as my guide http://wololo.net/2013/01/25/psn-and-online-features-on-without-updating-on-fw-2-02-charles-proxy/

39. jayko’s avatar

Looks great. I could try this out on my 1.80. Fingers crossed. Lol

40. Acheronta’s avatar

guys I cant transfer expploit game on to ps vita :( this is my problem , answer if anyone know how to solve thx !

2. Download it to your PS3 and leave it in the bubble. <–done I have it

3. Connect your PS Vita with your PC via Open CMA. <— connect in ps vita with cma and select pc and connect so still all good !

4. Remove the Vitas USB cable and plug it on to your PS3 (Leave the usb still plugged into the port thats on the Vita.) (Dont close out the error message if you get one, until its plugged into the PS3) <— remove my ps vita and have an error message : pc is deconected

5. Copy exploit game (or other content) on to your Vita. <— so now when connect to ps3 in ps vita have the same error : pc deconnected and in ps3 go to the bubble click in it but not install so I dont know….

thx for attection if anyone can help me reply !!

1. Rob’s avatar

Have you got internet on psn on ps3 when trying , I had the same drama until I signed in psn store on ps3 and then it worked