Unreal 3 Engine Running On The Web, Thanks to Mozilla & Epic.

UE3_on_Firefox

The company behind Firefox, Mozilla, have revealed that they have teamed up with Epic Games and created a web based version of the Unreal Engine 3 using JavaScript.

So, the above pretty much sums it all up, but a 1 paragraph article doesn’t look good, does it? So I’ll expand.

What Mozilla and Epic have done, is very clever. They have made a JacaScript based version of the engine so you can now use the game engine on your web, WITHOUT the need for silly plugins like Flash.

Surprisingly, it only took the 2 companies to port the popular engine 4 days *mind blown* like I said, if you weren’t reading, using the JavaScript code. I wish I was that clever! If you watch the video, it says that the port to the web required 1 million lines of code,
I don’t know how to do 1 line of code.

Have a look at the video below, which is the UE3 engine running on the web being showcased. How awesome!

Vladimir Vulicevic, the engineer director at Mozilla , said that his companies intentions was to make the web accessible for high-performance games. He also went to say that it’s “opening up the path to web-based games on mobile”

He was nice enough to reveal that he is working with large companies like Disney, EA and……. Cut the Rope creator called Zeptolab, these companies are using the same sort of JavaScript technology to “bring performance optimizations to their top-rated games”.

I’d like to know how this turns out.

I know UE4 is out, but UE3 is still being knocked around quite a bit, so a high quality web engine is great.

Here is the video for UE3 web engine:

Find the eggs?

The easter egg on my previous post was in the I on the word ‘photorealistic’!

1. Jd8531’s avatar

It’s definitely NOT the period after JavaScript. I guess I’ll have to keep looking for it. :P

1. Gerogio’s avatar

JACASCRIPT JACASCIRPT JACASCRIPT!

2. Chris’s avatar

First, ohh and the Easter egg is when you wrote JacaScript the c is suppose to be a v

3. NaSty13’s avatar

Hmm seems quite cool, could see this being great for mobile gaming.

On a side note – by ‘eggs’ is assume you mean spellin mistakes? If thats the case then this ‘egg’ is the ‘V’ in JavaScript :)

4. svenn’s avatar

Well, I am only half surprised; JavaScript is optimalized to the max; mainly because of browser war; Its now way faster then our current scripting languages. (nevertheless it has its downsides aswell)

I know chrome already has games running on JavaScript for a long time. Oké, its not UT3 but doom is there already for a while. Though I don’t really like web-JS games; cause you don’t own the game… and for aswell single as multiplayer your stick’d to the server providing. (simcity anyone ?)

5. Shinny’s avatar

They have made a “JacaScript” heres the egg.. =)

6. Youssef’s avatar

Does this mean that the PS Vita’s web browser be able to play games made with this engine?

1. DiGi’s avatar

No, I doubt that. Sony is unlikely to take part, but this is good news for mobile devices like tablets and beefy smartphones. JavaScript can be development on Android, but having games embedded in the browser will make it easy to incorporate games on both desktop and mobile regardless of operating system unless you can’t install the latest browser (excluding Internet Explorer. No surprise there, Microsoft). The only problem I see is JavaScript isn’t as easy to protect like other code can be.

1. gunblade’s avatar

and more game like pirates of the caribean

2. hgoel0974’s avatar

actually, it’d possibly only work on a PC, even on the PSVita, the javascript engine is too slow, just try running jsNES in the browser

2. Rav’s avatar

If you have PSV, try running BananaBread on it (or WebGL Quake, event if it’s compiled in GWT). I don’t know if it will even start, but if it does, tell us results.
      Of course it’s not Unreal Engine 3, but if this will be slow, then UE3 has 99% of being so, too (provided that it BB will actually run).

7. Sam’s avatar

Nice one with those easter eggs :) Found this one as well xD

1. gunblade’s avatar

yea found dis one….

8. Alex’s avatar

That demo is a adobe flash c++ crosscompiler http://gaming.adobe.com/technologies/flascc/ demo

1. Alex’s avatar

oh no, it isn’t anyway since everyone has flash player I don’t see the point of porting it to javascript

1. hgoel0974’s avatar

PSVita and stuff?

9. Scarecrow’s avatar

“Jaca” here in Brazil is a ugly kind of fruit, so I was like “dafuq is jacascript”, lol

Nice news, by the way.
    Maybe a reason to open FireFox once a while. =)

10. dimy93’s avatar

“1 million lines of code” in js -that sounds like dev’s biggest nightmare

11. Wrozen’s avatar

the easter egg is the period at the end of the first sentence.

12. The_S’s avatar

I’m sorry but I don’t really understand. What does this mean? I mean sure it sounds cool but does this effect anything? Are we going to see new websites as a game because I don’t see how this effects the average user.

13. DinamicoPlus’s avatar

in the dot!!

1. LOL’s avatar

Chrome is garbage.

1. kenny2858’s avatar

Its not actually… Its fast, easy to use, and did I mention it was fast? Firefox has more things that IMO makes it more complicated. I’m too lazy too get used to it anyways. Firefox are for more advanced users that want certain things on their browsers.

14. compccs’s avatar

ya know to make the eggs a little more challenging try changing the url so we dont have to just view source and do a search… but i guess thats like having your eyes open in hide n go seek… not like i was the kid who did that…..

15. hgoel0974’s avatar

Found the easter egg :P

This is really cool, now only if they made it free

16. zorrodood’s avatar

this is unreal!!!
    see what i did there?

1. Minimur12’s avatar

Well done! We got a comedy genius over here.

2. kenny2858’s avatar

No, this is patrick!

17. SSJ-Vita’s avatar

I wonder how many people aren’t going to buy into the latest false flag attack in Boston. Hat’s still in the air on who the guilty are going to blame it on. I had a sony ericsson when I was a teenager that could view crude pixeled weather in motion, this phony touchscreen wannabe can’t even do that. sony chopped the nuts off our handhelds before they even reached the shelves, what a royal lost waste. Good luck surviving the coming internet censorship no one is paying any attention to all you devs out there!

18. asd’s avatar

I like it…. Hopefully though Graphic Card is less likely required by this and probably CPU/RAM is mostly like the requirement were the rendering will be??

1. Rav’s avatar

WebGL. GPU accelerated.

19. squiggs’s avatar

1 million lines of code pshh… I could do that with my eyes closed in one day.

jk I can only do the hello world, that is it.

1. Minimur12’s avatar

I can hardly do that!

20. Rav’s avatar

As far as I know, it’s not rewritten in JavaScript, but rather than that, it’s C++ compiled to high-performance JavaScript. Previously done by Google using Java (GWT), now Emscripten (C++ -> LLVM -> JavaScript). Also involving something by Mozilla called asm.js.