Mandatory Vita 2.10 Update Live and Blocks Apache Overkill Exploit

The new Playstation Vita update is already out and ready for you to download.

As now in most regions official firmware update 2.10 has been rolled out and is a mandatory update meaning that if you’re on any firmware lower than that you wont have PSN access. Everyone should receive the update shortly if they haven’t already. The update adds a substantial amount of features. Some of which I reported a long time ago before Sony even announced it, and as of now it looks like the rest of the information from the inside source could come to actuality.

If you’re not familiar with what this new Vita update brings, some of the features include (Note: A full changelog will be released on the firmware update page later):

• Create folders to more easily manage your favorite application icons on the home screen, with up to 10 icons in each folder and a maximum of 100 on the home screen (including icons inside the folders).
  • Verify which PS Vita card you are using by looking at the home screen’s info bar. You can also save the layout of your home screen icons in the memory card.
  • Added video support allows you to play videos within the browser (memory card required; some videos are not supported).
  • New email enhancements allows you to view HTML messages, add multiple email addresses to your contacts, and easily search your messages using the new search feature.
  • PlayStation Plus members will be able to automatically update PlayStation Mobile format software and upload game save data onto online storage using 3G connection.
  • New “Mute Automatically” option will mute your PS Vita speakers when your headset is unplugged and pause your music when using the music app.

As usually Sony has a grudge against Vita users playing their retro games and harmless homebrews and have blocked VHBL on Firmware 2.06 with the usermode Apache Overkill exploit. So if you would like to keep your exploit do not update or it will no longer work. If you plan on updating you may want to delete your homebrew using PSPFILER to conserve space; if a new usermode exploit happens to be released it will still be there if you decide to not delete it. Open CMA should still be working as normal too .

UPDATE: It seems some reports are comming in that Open CMA no longer works on 2.10 and above but is working on lower firmwares. We will look into this further and see what can be done.

Let us know in the comments what you think of the new firmware update!

1. Hackinformer’s avatar

No good opencma5r on my pc it must have updated because plugged in vita and said sytem update. How about any of you? It was working fine before.

2. stanley pain’s avatar

“sony has a grudge against people playing retro games?” h’okay…

3. Norml’s avatar

My CMA needs to update and states “Could not connect to server” when trying to update. Bogus!
    I block it anyway but still! Now I have to restart my PC for the stupid install to finish!

4. alvin’s avatar

now TN release the files to play psp backups for apache overkill please.

1. boriswinner’s avatar

The exploit is usermode, this is impossible

1. Keyblade Spirit’s avatar

Yes, but Kernel expoits require usermode exploits to work. TN found a kernel exploit in 2.06 a while ago, but is keeping it to himself for now, probably in the hopes that he can release after a major update like this.

2. FishSticks’s avatar

Noobs just don’t understand! LOL

3. bitch’s avatar

because this will totally happen.
      the exlpoit used is usermode only. tn uses kernel mode, so there will be no files for you stupic asshole. learn to read

1. tinostar91’s avatar

And you learn how kernel mode exploits works..

TN already has his own kernel mode exploit but he has no plans for releasing it and if you want to run kernel mode exploit you need user mode exploit as launcher (like Uno and every older working user mode exploit)

5. wartaf’s avatar

sony!! why you no pleasable

6. Jomann’s avatar

So then should we update or not? need to know if the other hacks will work on this update!!!! or whether one will be released…

7. tinostar91’s avatar

I think that Sony don’t care about harmless VHBL, they just know that AO exploit can be later used for kernel mode exploit (if will be released)

8. alvin’s avatar

are you sure that karnel exploite will be release on apache overkill?

1. tinostar91’s avatar

If somebody will release kernel mode exploit it will work on every usermode exploit but I personally don’t think that it will be anytime soon.

9. S0nYsUx’s avatar

Sonyyyyy FKKKKK YOUUUUUUUUUUU WITH YOURS STUPID UPDATES>GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOMEEEEEEEEEEEEE

10. drawerfloat’s avatar

I hate you, but I love you Sony.

1. thevoiceover’s avatar

Love hate.

11. Greg’s avatar

So just to confirm, if I dont upgrade, I dont get to play games online?

1. smitty88oh’s avatar

Yes that’s correct

12. Quetz’s avatar

I think it’s time for me to update.. Mostly because i’m tired playing psp games again, i’d love to have back the ps store for psvita. I’m a huge fan of psp, but i played almost everything on the late 7 years. I was hoping for a bigger hack on the UNO Kxploit, or at least good ps1 compatibility, but looks like nothing is going to be announced<released. So i'm gonna wait a week and see how things are going with 2.10 and then update… Sure i will miss my TNV

13. CapcomLegend’s avatar

All these updates and nick nacks but the complexity of adding MGS1 to the PSN for the vita is overlooked ,I payed a lot of cash on the PSN for my games when I had my psp ,Sony your a bunch of crooks. Period.

1. Terricule’s avatar

Seriously, Mgs1 has been available on the jap and EU store for the longest, as well as portable ops(unavailable NA) AND peace walker(just gotten here, only took a damn year.) yet the NA store gets treated like a second-rate citizen.

2. ShadowKnight1620’s avatar

If you download metal gear solid to your ps3 and leave the install file (which means don’t install on your ps3) plug in your vita use the content manager go to applications /playstation and you can install metal gear solid on your vita I’m in the US and this works.

1. capcomlegend’s avatar

no ps3 for me my friend,an alternative?

1. Diablo050189’s avatar

You may try Media Go. no guarantees but its worth a shot

1. ShadowKnight1620’s avatar

I was going to suggest that if you download metal gear solid via media go and move the install package in the proper directory for CMA for the vita.

14. Scott’s avatar

well, online connection is working for Urban Trial freestyle while still on 2.06fw for me, i havent checked other games tho.

15. NaSty13’s avatar

Yup looks like there’s also an update for Content Manager Assistant. So i guess it isnt just about finding another exploit, we’ll probably have to find a work-around for the CMA too. Oh well I didnt really use the usermode exploit, so dont care unless there’s gonna be a kernal exploit :D

16. pspfanMOHH’s avatar

I updated! Cause of the low compatibility, and I confirm OpenCMA works for me, with few glitchs and bugs.

17. aure16XD’s avatar

yep I stay with 2.06 VHBL Apache Overkill on my ps vita because there will be a kernel fault that I expected that long because I missed one of the 2.02!

Sorry i’m french ! ;)

18. aure16XD’s avatar

yep I stay with 2.06 VHBL Apache Overkill on my ps vita because there will be a feat that kernel that I waited a long time because I missed one of the 2.02!

19. jeffk’s avatar

Finally, now the Vita web browser isn’t a useless piece of crap that crashes every time you try to load a page with an embedded video on it!

It only took Sony, what, 16 months to fix this?

Also, why don’t the update notes describe which formats are supported? Gosh, what an amateur hour performance from Sony, as usual.

1. vitralizer’s avatar

h.264 is supported, but not anything else.

20. Sal’s avatar

These exploits arent working for me! someone should introduce a new type of unpatchable exploit. come on guys! its not impossible.

1. wololo’s avatar

Thanks for the suggestion, it’s probable nobody thought of that before you. Sal, please find such an exploit and share it with the community! Thanks in advance.

21. psp411’s avatar

it´s sad to see the unrespect to speak of some users to noobs, I have my psp since it coming out, and y vita too, and never see a comunnity of “experts” calling stupid ashole and other tings to someone to ask a cuestion thant wants to clear in his mind, thats is the reason some hackers have left the scene, I love hombrews, love Wagic, love Quake GL, in my vita love them more, because the biger screen, but see a community of inrespectfull pseudo hackers, convincced myself, to not register in this page, I visit for long 7 years, and still will doing, but, not to read any coments enymore,

respect always to Wololo, friend inothher comunity, to TotalNoob (the name dosn´t say nothing to “experts”?
    tnx Dark Alex the gratest wo allways have patience to tralk with respect to noobs, as myself seven years ago
    grat hacjers do not insult, but teach the new ones

respect to all memebers of the comunity wo deserve it

22. capcomlegend’s avatar

Im not one to “get mad”…yea I am,but why hasn’t silent hill 1,shattered memories,or Orgins be on the market…the have released peace walker but not portable ops…I shouldn’t have to go thru a PS3 to install games I paid for,it should be already on in the market ready for me to download if I paid for it with a compatable console…I see all the final fantasies in the market,im just saying Sony…lol let me stop…

23. razor’s avatar

Now all we need is OpenCMA :/

24. iamanthonypadillamaybe’s avatar

opencma works for 1.10 for me.

25. iamanthonypadillamaybe’s avatar

opencma works for 2.10 for me.

26. Atamos’s avatar

Am I the only one who’s okay with losing VHBL to get updates? I mean, I still own my PSP, and that has CFW.

27. antonb12’s avatar