PS Vita Hack: a new PSP usermode exploit running on Firmware 2.06, by The Z

PSP/Vita scene famous member The Z has always been a great resource of news, but, believe it or not,  this is actually the first time he reports about an exploit of his own. Congrats :)

The Z showcases what is today a typical “psp hello world”, which dates back to the Sparta exploit from Matiaz and Freeplay, that later on got popular when we started heavily reusing it as the first development step for porting hbl, then vhbl.

The Z of course does not disclose the name of the game, but his video is showing the exploit running on a PS Vita 2.06. There’s no saying at this point if this exploit can be turned into a VHBL port (VHBL requires the exploited game to import a certain set of functions in order to run), but I’m sure we’ll know more in a few days, as The Z starts digging into his findings.

On a side note, speaking of the popular “Spartaaaaa” hello world: guys, I moved on to using a different animation more than a year ago (remember the day 1 hello world on the Vita, and the video below?). The snowflakes were getting too “common” :) You should also try new ones, it’s also part of the fun ;)

1. Raphale’s avatar

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    one more

1. ScoobyDoo’s avatar

Sorry to be a noob, but why do you write “one more”.

Also, my vita is version 1.61, would I be wise to upgrade to 2.6 or should I stay on the lower version?

1. Raphale’s avatar

I’m stuck in version 2.06 of vita, therefore, look forward to the VHBL

2. Lai’s avatar

you can go and upgrade to 2.02 if u have the backup of UNO. if you have a ps3, you can use the technique in transferring the UNO backup to the ps vita.

2. Raphale’s avatar

WOOO one more

3. Raphale’s avatar

wololo, is the vhbl you have going tol delay its release?

1. Dmaskell92’s avatar

Non scheduled, unexpected ninja release, is the most effective. You don’t want Sony to have an ETA, because they patch everything.

4. SteelWolf89’s avatar

The Z should save it for the next firmware update, As the current one soon to be publicly released will serve the same purpose.

I’m personally hoping we eventually get another kernel exploit that can be released after a MAJOR firmware update.

also, i’d be willing to pay Coldbird to finish his work on decoding and re-implementing the Media Engine, as the drama that eventually caused him to leave the scene was just straight up unbelievable, and we could REALLY use his expertise at this point.

1. J3LACK--EAGLE’s avatar

yeA after a major one

1. Hugo_Mundo’s avatar

I agree with SteelWolf.
        I think The Z should wait until a more significant update is released.
        One thing that i’ve noticed though is that SONY is now enforcing updates througout the psn games. I’ve bought Nun Attack, downloaded it on my PS3, and when i’ve copied it over to my 2.02 vita and opened it the game gave me an update message.
        Now i can’t even play the games I BOUGHT on the firmware that I WANT to.
        SONY, wtf?!

1. Albie85’s avatar

Wen u download it to the vita open TN-V and play it though that its got dlc playback

2. There's a solution for that..’s avatar

Buy another Vita like I did. You’ll never complain again.

3. Kyu’s avatar

Well of course,that’s why we did not have a 2.05 exploit.

5. SPoONiE_16’s avatar

Amazing work!

6. santos’s avatar

Ohh man bombs after bombs being dropped.. Keep it up sceners. :P

7. J3LACK--EAGLE’s avatar

yea he should wait for the next firmware release so we can get new features and theres already a exploit on this one so why dont you just release tomtom’s exploit then One the next update release the z’s

8. Yuu’s avatar

Awesome work z, please keep us updated and i also agree wait until next major firmware drops to release but ultimately it is up to you ;)?

9. Dmaskell92’s avatar

The future looks promising for all our Vita’s, very nice.

10. gunblade’s avatar

the home button looks nice on the white models.. wasent there more color vita coming out or sumthing… oooh n um the 4g models wouldent they be differnt from the current vitas but more like the slim ps3…

1. stOneskull’s avatar

sony should release a spiderman ps3 and vita with a new spiderman game that can be remote-played, cross-played, etc.. or even a south park version when the new game comes out.. anyway, yeah.. would like to see some other versions.. japan does have some other colors coinciding with their price drop.. so we’ll probably see them too.. or you could order one from japan

2. E’s avatar

The other colors (red, blue, etc) were released mainly in Japan, I believe. For now at least.

11. gunblade’s avatar

ooh nice expoit…da z.. iszent z the last letter of the alphabit well thats cool…

12. joyeop’s avatar

looollooo

13. vhblfans’s avatar

good job.The Z should save it for the next firmware update.

14. Dyzy7’s avatar

vhbl does not seem too tempting, what are the chances that in future be replaced with eCFW or ARK ?
    should i’ll wait for a eCFW / ARK?

1. Jd8531’s avatar

It really just depends if the developers want to release them considering there are not that many atm.

15. Rusxaker’s avatar

Who turns bought recently Exploit (c support VHBL) in flight.

16. newrcc’s avatar

it’s Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z… Sleeping???! Nooooooooooooooooo, It’s The Z flying like a rocket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahahaha!=)
    Goodluck man!

1. Dyzy7’s avatar

LOOK, its a bird, its a plane, NO IT’S Z-Z-Z, no wait, its a bird

17. Acid_Snake’s avatar

so how many user mode exploits do we have now? last time I checked we had about 20-25

1. J3LACK--EAGLE’s avatar

damn really? There’s not even that many firmware updates……but i bet most of them r unreleased

18. capcomlegend’s avatar

lol sony has gotta be “mad” good work guys

19. CoolMan’s avatar

HOPE HE CAN PORT IT TO ECFW OR ARK I MEAN MAYBE HE HAS ACCES TO KERNEL EXPLOIT SO LETS HOPE THAT

20. Lucasyoh’s avatar

Congrats man \o/

21. marc’s avatar

Exactly what I needed to hear so that I could upgrade to PSV FW 2.06, LoL!

22. paco’s avatar

ok. I Am wait.

23. mkc88r’s avatar

great job Z,thanks guys for all

24. Voltrom’s avatar

Dope bro,, another psp xpl0x,, I mean there beat & all,, but “ps vita hack” shouldn’t even be in the title. We haven’t done shit with this console. I am getting bored of gta on tn-c. The whole vita in general. God damn can we get a San Andreas hd collection. ..

None the less,, excellent Z. Glad you wanted to make this one public, tho it doesn’t matter for me.. I’ve been playing the same games for what seems like months.

So is it true 2.06 has speed improvements?

25. AlphaKiloCharlie’s avatar

I remember the blog post talking about the limited amount of exploits coming out and how it might be the end of Vita exploits, now we already have 2 that are known to be released. Thank you Wololo and all the other developers that take there time to find these exploits and release them!

1. Not Sure’s avatar

I got the impression those were mainly talking about Kernel exploits.
      (A much rarer type which plays psp isos.)

This homebrew-only kind is still rare enough to space between updates, but another ARK/TN may not come for a long time if ever.

I believe that’s how they explained it.

26. francis’s avatar

excited for the new exploit release…cnt wait.. wololo..the one!

1. vitaforever’s avatar

Congratulations mr. Z
      Welcome new exploit.

27. Akira123’s avatar

Nice, I can’t wait for the new PSP usermode exploit!!

28. Akira123’s avatar

Yo thanks for the new exploit, we needed a new exploit for 2.06.

29. mangbhoy’s avatar

Congrats, thank you for your dedication and hard work!

30. SkyrimBr’s avatar

it is possible to remove a firmware update ps vita?

31. deathlight’s avatar

awesome! Congratz to the Z

32. snail’s avatar

Congratulations Mr. The Z on being anointed the ‘famous’ distinction! By none other than the famous Wololo as well!

33. Brandon’s avatar

I can’t wait! I missed he last exploit by a couple days hopefully I don’t miss this one

34. gjllopez’s avatar

impressive indeed

35. xenonzeissoptics’s avatar

please release it after aprilll i still dont have enough funds to buy psn card im still waiting for my sister nextweek. im really tired of spending money on sony’s games unlike before. pls pls mr zzzz :)

1. G36cBossMan’s avatar

Xenonzeissoptics – Ain’t nobody got time for dat! But seriously lots of people have been waiting patiently already no one wants to wait longer especially just for 1 person…

36. je-al’s avatar

plsss release all the exploit im so excited :D

37. Chet’s avatar

So….is it safe to update to 2.06?? I’m still on 2.02 and I can’t access PSN store -_-
    thank you in advance.

Long live the Z!!

38. Pisson’s avatar

Please a custom Firmware for ps Vita 2.06 !! I have baught the Vita to play secret of mana and Psp DBZ !! Please !!

39. psvita hack’s avatar

Right now it looks like BlogEngine is the best blogging platform out
    there right now. (from what I’ve read) Is that what you are using on your blog?

40. ps3’s avatar

Soul Calibur V will raise the standard for console fighting games, and includes amazing visuals, thrilling three dimensional
    fighting techniques, a much better character development mode,
    along with a huge roster of 30 characters, which incorporates a mixture of brand-new characters as well as well-known warriors.
    PS3 games are difficult to come by when it comes to getting the best deals.
    Buying a game title is like anticipating a baby child, preparing a place for the brand new member in the family.