[PS3] Can’t login to the PSN? Here’s how you can still access Netflix

(Note: If you live outside the US, check this tutorial explaining how I can access Netflix from outside the US :) ) A good friend of mine contacted me recently because his PS3 got banned from Sony’s PSN. He owns a PS3 for the sole purpose of playing Videos and music, and mostly runs Showtime (a media player Homebrew, far better than the official PS3 video player) and Netflix. If the default video player on the PS3 was decent, he wouldn’t have to run a CFW at all. As a matter of fact, he never played a single game on his PS3. Nevertheless, he woke up one day seeing that he couldn’t connect to the PSN anymore.

On a side note, this means that if your run a CFW, Sony will indiscriminately ban you, independently of the fact that you pirate games or cheat online.

Not having a PSN connection could have been a non issue, as I said, this friend never played or use any Sony product on his PS3 besides the PS3 hardware. Unfortunately for him, there’s a strange requirement to be logged in to the PSN if you want to run Netflix. Don’t ask me why, that’s the way it works. My friend was therefore left with the choice of giving up on Showtime, uninstall his CFW, and try to convince Sony to unban his account; or to stay on CFW and give up on Netflix.

But he’s quite resourceful and found a way to get Netflix to work without having to be logged in to the PSN. The basic technique is to let Netflix believe that the PSN is down. This technique is already well known from people who want to avoid being banned for using CFW (which is what my friend should have done in the first place…).

When Netflix believes the PSN is down, it will let you login without a problem. In order to do that, my friend blocked the following connections from his router (this list comes from psx-scene):

fus01.ps3.update.playstation.net > Update Server (sys updates)
mercury.dl.playstation.net > What’s new ads
nsx.np.dl.playstation.net > playstation store preview
nsx-e.np.dl.playstation.net > ads
(main file exchange connections)
us.np.stun.playstation.net > on boot initiates connection
ena.net.playstation.net > SSLv3 connection after above connection
dus01.ps3.update.playstation.net > secondary update attempt (could force updates)
auth.np.ac.playstation.net > SSLv3 authentication server
(destination servers)
service.playstation.net (has multiple IPs if only the ip address is blocked)
(Error Reporting)
creepo.ww.hl.playstation.net (uploads crash reports etc.)

Since he lives in JP (and that was the trick here), he had to additionally block the following addresses:

djp01.ps3.update.playstation.net
jp.np.stun.playstation.net

This takes care of the use case in JP and the US. People in the EU might have to sniff network traffic in order to get additional addresses specific to their country.

Note: some people have contacted me with a technique that simply consists in “cancelling” the login step on the PSN several times in a row. That technique seems so far to be extremely random… feel free to give it a try as it is way simpler than blocking traffic on your router, but be aware that the results are not guaranteed. Report your feedback in the comments section :)

Netflix and Amazon Instant Video are probably the 2 best video on demand services, and they’re available on the PS3. Sadly, by default they are only available to people in the US. But I’ve been enjoying the US Netflix service and Amazon Instant Video on my PS3 from Japan for a while now :) . If you are interested in accessing these services on your PS3 from any country, check our sister site’s tutorial on how to access Netflix from any country on your PS3

1. wartaf’s avatar

i don’t use netflix but it’s a good news :D

1. nevercall’s avatar

sorry im desperate.. i’ve been searching for hours and got confused on hundreds of links.. SPARE ME AND MY IDIOCY

now my question is…. CAN PS3 CECH-3000A w/ OFW 4.31 be hacked?

1. TJ’s avatar

Short answer: no
        Long answer: if you’d really been searching for hours you’d have enough of a concrete answer that you wouldn’t need to hijack this post.

Relevant link: http://www.ps3devwiki.com/wiki/SKU_Models#PS3_Slim_.283000_series.29

1. nevercall’s avatar

i’ve already seen that. same with the an article here a long time ago.. I bought a ps3 just recently and its my first time… so i got confused easily.

1. Mr. MaGoo’s avatar

The only way to downgrade is with a hardware flasher such as the E3 flasher or the teensey. There are a few versions out there for different models.

2. percival’s avatar

Is there any way to unban my ps3?

1. wololo’s avatar

There are tools to unban your PS3 apparently. I haven’t tried any of them, but you can google for it. But don’t try any of the scams that ask you to fill a survey to download the tool. Legit tools will be found on regular ps3 scene sites, and will not ask you for anything in order to download.

3. Dmaskell92’s avatar

Wish there was some way to crack the netflix files so lt will bypass asking for PSN altogether. But such a app would need updated everytime netflix decides to update. I still will try this, anyone else have luck on 3.55 Kmeaw?

4. OsirisFael’s avatar

Anyone know of a way to do the same on the Vita in the netflix app, or with NicoNico?

5. kelso’s avatar

hey wololo can we do this to the vita to watch Netflix for the ones on 2.02 or lower?

1. wololo’s avatar

I believe this can work on the vita too, but I haven’t tried

1. JeoWay’s avatar

I used Charles and just unforce the latest update. Gives you access to all PSN features as if you updated.

1. ShadowInfinity’s avatar

I would definitely want to know how this is done. I was under the impression that the Charles Proxy trick has already been blocked by Sony. Is there anything different to do than the ones posted in an article on this site?

2. Mr. MaGoo’s avatar

I though charles proxy was no longer working?

1. JeoWay’s avatar

Its been working for me since the Vita’s release. When I get some time, I will post a video tutorial of it.

2. Mr. MaGoo’s avatar

@JeoWay – cool beans. I look forward to checking it out.

3. Jd8531’s avatar

You’ve said this before and both hgoel and I have asked you about it and have gotten no response.

1. JeoWay’s avatar

If I have time, I will post a video today or tomorrow regarding this. I will put the video on the /talk forums and on my page.

6. Theredbaron’s avatar

O hell yes! This kinda thing works on the Vita. I set up a proxy, and black listed anything none netflix that tried to load up when I clicked on it. O hell yes. Thank you Wololo.

First on Linux, now my vita. I am actually able to watch Netflix more then once in a while. Was thinking about canceling, but now. :)

1. IgnusArmagadan’s avatar

I should have read through the comments before posting, lol. You answered my question =p Awesome news!!!

7. No’s avatar

Just wondering, arent there cheaper, or at least equally priced, products that are just as good or even better for playing movies and music than using a PS3? Just wondering since he only uses his PS3 to play music and movies. What made him choose a PS3 for this?

1. cheat67’s avatar

blue ray+dvd, netflix, homebrew apps, and also the option to play games…might be more but these are what i can think of

8. OsirisFael’s avatar

Is there a way to do this on the Vita to use Netflix and NicoNico?

1. OsirisFael’s avatar

Terribly sorry for the double post, which is now a triple post. My original comment didn’t show when I refreshed.

9. hammer’s avatar

there are tools to unban your consol but if you use them you will get your account banned.
    and as a side note, once your account has been banned it is impossible to get sony to unban it. I had hundreds of dollars in games, services and cash in my wallet and bought a new ps3 and still sony told me tough luck when I begged to get my account unbanned

1. Mr. MaGoo’s avatar

That happened to me also but I wasn’t even banned. I had my ps3 crash and it took my account with it. I had to create a new account at that point.

10. Mr. MaGoo’s avatar

What I need to figure out is how to run remote play through my 4.30CFW PS3. I enjoy playing my ps3 games on my vita while my wife is on the tv. I woukd like to be able to play them from the wifi at work. I haven’t tried this due to the bann issue. I just haven’t spent enough time trying to downgrade back to 3.55 in order to use the unban tools. Perhaps if I figure this out, ill make a post on /talk if there isnt one yet.

1. JeoWay’s avatar

If your currently on a CFW, unpack your PS3 Game PKGS.
      (Example: GTA 4) then unpack a PS1 Classic pkg on ps3.
      (Example: Spyro)
      Swap the param from ps1 and use it in your gta pkg.
      Now pack and encrypt the pkg, install on ps3, now use remote play. if your banned on ps3 and can’t access remote play, try using charles to block some checks. it may let you in. on the other hand, i don’t know how to bypass ps3 bans anymore. ive been a good boy lately after i got an email regarding cusotm firmware and a ban if not reinstalled ofw.

1. Mr. MaGoo’s avatar

Awesome!! I actually boot the game directly from MMos. This could help me play my ffxii like ive been wanting to do. Thanks for the heads up. :-)

1. JeoWay’s avatar

No problem, glad to help.

11. oldshit’s avatar

shit is old

1. older shit’s avatar

Your right shit is old. It basses through your body for a few days decomposing. Jackass

1. IgnusArmagadan’s avatar

Lol, perfect response xD

12. j’s avatar

What a moron, why buy a PS3 to stream videos. Get a cheap PC and you don’t have to hack anything and get a lot more functionality.

1. JeoWay’s avatar

My PC is meant for MTA (multi theft auto) and downloading movies from pirate bay :D

13. StepS’s avatar

“Repeatedly cancelling login phase”? Not surprised given how exactly the same way is used to get into CMA in case Vita tries to show its update prompt on you.

14. Asmith906’s avatar

does it ban your console or just your account. If it’s your account couldn’t he just make a new one

15. GuitaristMatt’s avatar

I remember an older article about Sony scare tactics that Wololo wrote. His friend didn’t want to lend him a PS3 for experiments because he was afraid of getting banned. Well you can see why. I’m thinking this is a different friend right?

16. Chezni’s avatar

They’ll ban your account and console simultaneously.

It is EXTREMELY important that you only login to PSN with a legitimate firmware for now.

This is especially important nowadays because of the online registration.

17. joyeop’s avatar

muito bom

18. b0redkid’s avatar

Having a PS console with Cfw/Ecfw is worth the trade off for going on Psn imo. If you want to be jb
    then don’t go online simple as that. the only ppl who want to go online on ps3 are cheaters anyway. Buy a second console if you want to enjoy online gaming.

1. IgnusArmagadan’s avatar

The only thing I would want to do is sync trophies, lol.

19. IgnusArmagadan’s avatar

Is there a way to do this for the Vita?

1. IgnusArmagadan’s avatar

Was hoping it was easy as changing the directions for the PS3 to Vita

20. maises’s avatar

@wololo

for Amazon Instant Video on ps3

open NPUP10021/USRDIR/lithium.conf in a text editor,

change this:

# PSN login is a TRC requirement however it can be disabled by setting the following flag to false
    requirePsnLogin=true

to false, done.
    amazon instant video works without psn login.

/greetz

1. Andy’s avatar

Hi maises,

Nice tip for amazon, do you know a similar one to make it work for PlayStation Youtube app.

Thanks

21. 2die4’s avatar

Your friend must have cheated or trophy boosted as I use two cafe ps3 online n have yet to b banned I use them every day

22. walteriogs’s avatar

im confused, in my router i can´t block specific conections, its there an easier way to block these conections?

23. Jimmy Darmady’s avatar

This method worked perfectly for me ! blocked all these servers on my router and voila I am on netflix running rogero cfw 1.02.

THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS U .. this made such a differnce in my family’s life.

24. kirchner00’s avatar

Hi Guys, After i tried to get access into netflix on my banned ps3 I could following this method. I know is not the best but it works and it is pretty easy to implement it.

1) Block port 443 on your Ineternet router.
    2) run netflix app on PS3, it will ask you to log in into PSN, you should press X.
    3) After a little while you will be warned about its could not reach the PSN. And request you press x for further action, press X.
    4) In the mean while you should enable back the port 443, so you could access to Netflix to get connected.
    5) Enjoy Netflix.

25. jaska jokunen’s avatar

Those are usa or europe sites?i live in europe and that not working? do something wrong or what? Sorry my bad english.

26. jaska jokunen’s avatar

Anyone knows whats the europe psn addresses?

27. Linksys’s avatar

FIX DOESNT WORK LINKSYS NOT OTHER ADDRESS

For people using linksysy routers make sure you place your ps3 mac address in the pc list in the restrictions tab

28. MikeJones’s avatar

I’m running a Cisco-Linksys WRT600N with DD-WRT v24-sp2 vpn. I set up both a restrictions policy and dnsmasq list to block these addresses. Pinging the addresses rom any machine on my network and I get timeouts so my network is definitely blocking them. However, I still get prompted for a PSN login when trying to load Netflix.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

1. wololo’s avatar

What country are you in? There might be an additional address you need to block depending on the country

1. MikeJones’s avatar

i’m in the US. I also forgot to mention that my PS3 has Netflix version 2.10. I’m not sure if that makes a difference or not.

29. MikeJones’s avatar

I’m in the US. I also forgot to mention that my PS3 is running Netflix 2.10. I’m not sure if that makes a difference.

30. MikeJones’s avatar

Sorry for the double post. My original reply didn’t show up after a few page refreshes.

31. Herr’s avatar

Somehow this does not work for me anymore since yesterday.

Is anyone having the same problem? After launching Netflix app and signing in to PSN & accepting the error notification, it says it can’t connect to Netflix and points me to netflix.com/help or netflix.com/tvhelp.

I’ve tried:
    1. reinstalling Netflix app
    2. deleting Netflix gamedata
    3. deleting BD folder
    4. correcting the time and date of PS3
    5. all the above in different order

I hope someone knows a way to fix this..?

32. gooby nugget’s avatar

my ps3 usually streamed Netflix perfectly fine but now it says I need a play station network log in and I do not understand why or how I can avoid making one

33. Ben Wilkins’s avatar

ISnt working for me, do you need a specific version of the netflix app? I am on rogero 4.46 using netflix v2.13, is there something additional I need to do?

34. morgan’s avatar

yea it seems as of a few days ago netflix now blocks this type of method, the furthest you can get most of the time is 25% loading of a movie or tv show. once you reinstall netflix (because you thought something was wrong) you cant even get to the page where it loads up all the movies. you get a prompt for an error connecting to their server definatly need a new workaround. im sure there server is up, it seems like theres another check now to see if your connected to the sony server.

35. noguest’s avatar

Morgan is correct. I just want to confirm and broadcast all that streaming in Netflix in PS3 without sign-into PSN no longer work.
    I think it worked until about Septermber 07. After that I think change was made from the Netflix side (obviously Sony begs Netflix to do so), to check the PSN login and if not disable connecting Neflix servers form the APP. Change should not have come from the Sony side since they did not get a chance to update the app or update FW in PS3.
    Exact error you get is NW-4-8. Now even when the PSN is down you will force to stay away from watching the paid Neftlix service form PS3

Please update here if folks can still stream Neflix without singing into PSN. IF not it is time to finding way to path the Netflix app itself to not check for PSN.

36. 57413k’s avatar

YUP, method no longer works, error nw-4-8 is given.

HELP!

37. Leandro’s avatar

I found a fix, but you cant be banned.

I unblocked those addresses from the router, and netflix and let netflix load, blocked them again, restarted ps3 and now it is working.

I hope those 5 minutes in psn, dont get me banned .

38. MonSenior’s avatar

Any updates for those of us who are already banned, but want netflix?

39. Agustin Matt’s avatar

Leandro, your method didn’t worked for me :-/ Still cannot access to netflix on banned ps3.

any updates folks?

40. Coolaan’s avatar

Guys. This method started working again!!! 3 cheers! It had stopped working for me around aug 24, 2013 and just as a last try I tried this again and gues what?!!!!!! It worked ! I’m sooooo happy! Ps3 is still the best media player for netflix that there is!

41. ElCapitan’s avatar

Worked for me, also found a workaround for Amazon on psx-scene site, but it does not work for me, you might want to give it a try:

Open: