PPSSPP: Multiplatform PSP Emulator, Now Ported To iOS with 0.7 update!

From the developer of the renowned Dolphin Emulator comes an update to the multiplatform, open source PSP emulator which has just been ported to iOS devices!

PPSSPP has been around for awhile but just received a major 0.7 update and is starting to grow. PPSSPP is a PSP emulator written in C++, and translates PSP CPU instructions directly into optimized x86, x64 and ARM machine code, using efficient JIT dynamic recompilers (dynarecs). PPSSPP can thus run on quite low-spec hardware, including stronger Android phones and tablets (as long as there’s support for OpenGL ES 2.0). PPSSPP is becoming widely available and versatile on just about every platform with completed ports to Windows, Linux, Pandora, OSX, Android and more. The project even has the possibility of making its way to consoles (Xbox360, PS3, Wii ect). The great part about PPSSPP is that its an open source project, licensed under the GPL 2.0 (or later). Anyone is welcome to contribute their improvements to the code and that its completely FREE to download and use!

PPSSPP received a substantial update that improves it vastly with 0.7. While the compatibility is still not full, it has gone up dramatically, speed has increased drastically (especially on mobile) and everything solidified. With the 0.7 update there’s even horizontal tilt control! Also included are some newly playable games like God of War (very slow though, but this will probably be fixed in the near future), Virtual Tennis, Megaman: Maverick Hunter X, Saint Seiya and games like Ace Combat X. Of course work is still being put into this project by allot of people so its continually getting better with every update!

Also just recently announced, a WIP version of PPSPP has been ported to iOS devices. Henrik Rydgard, the developer of Dolphin, the Gamecube and Wii emulator ported it. YouTube user Dethklokpie posted a demonstration video showing off the PSP emulator running on his iPad 4 (Watch the Video below!).

As you can see the frame rate is slow but its an early version, which the frame rate issue is also due to the fact that the emulator is using an interpreter instead of JIT. Developers are supposedly trying to figure out a way to get JIT to work on iOS or to find another solution that is reasonable to improve the performance.

The port you see for iOS is in its early stages so it is still not available yet, but you can find and compile the source code (or use the deb file posted in the forums) to install it. You’ll need to have a jailbroken iOS device to do so (If you’re looking to jailbreak your iDevice, I recommend the newly released Evasi0n jailbreak that’s even compatible with the Iphone 5!).

I’m extremely excited to see this emulator progress further and look forward to what it’ll be able to do in the future. If you’re interested in grabbing it, for other platforms you can find various downloads at the official download page linked below!

PPSSPP Downloads

1. Wrozen’s avatar

I can never get anything to run using this. It has great potential though.

1. Curan_a’s avatar

Games have been hit or miss with me. .hack//link ran flawlessly.

1. fivezeroniner’s avatar

is ur .hack//link in english?

2. StepS’s avatar

i’ve also had this problem on PC. Disable the buffers in ppsspp settings

2. boriswinner’s avatar

And I’m the curator of this emulator’s topic on 4pda :)

3. GuitaristMatt’s avatar

I’ve had it since .1

4. Darkenvy’s avatar

This is way cool. I’m gonna try it out and tell my friends :D

5. Apple Sucks’s avatar

Apple’s can HAVE A WORM!

6. AyeGuy’s avatar

Had this app for a while now. Been wondering when it would get its own article.

1. wololo’s avatar

I actually considered writing an article about it a few months ago, but was disappointed that I couldn’t get much to run on it (in particular Wagic didn’t run, haven’t tried since), and gave up since I didn’t have good things to say about the tool at the time. I think it’s a great initiative, and I didn’t want to put bad criticism in my first article about it. Glad to see it’s coming along!

1. GuitaristMatt’s avatar

Hector (I think that was his name) is also one of the guys behind Dolphin, and he already has several people backing him up. PPSSPP improves every day.

7. Demonbutter’s avatar

Its definitely progressing quickly…. But it still can’t run bbs or final mix with the English patch so I don’t use it lol

8. Feh’s avatar

Who gives a shit. All this will do is allow the technology tourists to sample real games their five-minute attention spans can’t handle. If these people want to play PSP games, they need to get a PSP and quit pretending to be real gamers on their douche devices. :)

1. wololo’s avatar

Like most emulators, it will be extremely relevant in a few years when the actual PSP hardware becomes more and more difficult to find. And with the new trend of not letting people change short-lived parts such as the battery, this will become more and more true.

2. illLoGiQ’s avatar

Because playing PSP games is for real gamers? Don’t be a douche cookie.

3. thedicemaster’s avatar

psp games happen to look a lot better on the 5.55″ screen at 960×544 on my samsung galaxy note 2 than they ever will on a psp or vita where the best you’ll get is stretched 480×272.

I haven’t bothered playing any of the project diva games on my psp ever since ppsspp became able to run them fullspeed.

9. w7y7a7t7t’s avatar

while on this topic of emulation feet, what about dolphin being ported to android? thought that might get a mention here, but have yet to see anything even weeks later.

1. Jd8531’s avatar

I think they’re still working on getting it done. I know the source code is available if you want to compile it yourself. They’re even working on full ARM support.

10. Kefkiroth’s avatar

It seems it would be unplayable due to the touch controls… I’d imagine you could link a PS3 controller to the phone though.

1. gunblade’s avatar

best fone i can think is the xperia r800

1. gunblade’s avatar

but that andoid that like the psvit would be nice too i guess

2. J’s avatar

If you can’t spell phone then you’re too stupid for your opinion to matter.

11. gunblade’s avatar

tried it on an android was alright the phones screen was broken but was alright

12. oO Flowzilla Oo’s avatar

I wonder how well it will run on my TV with the OUYA.

13. Telgar Drakore’s avatar

Looks pretty awesome, though I wouldn’t bother with it until it has reached the level where it can compete fully with JPCSP, which has been around for a very very long time, and has been playing a lot of games flawlessly for a while now (though I do not use it recently, I dont know how full its compatibility is at this stage. It was pretty damned high when I used it 2-3 years ago, and its still updated today)

14. raycry’s avatar

how run metal gear solid: peace walker?

1. pirate city’s avatar

PSP
      Step 1. Open UMD case that says “Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker” on the front. It should have a picture of Snake on it.
      Step 2. Insert UMD into the PSP.
      Step 3. Go into the XMB. Find and run the UMD game.
      Step 4. Play!

VITA
      Step 1. Purchase from PSN. It’s available on the PSN Network for Vita as a PSP game now.
      Step 2. Wait for download to finish.
      Step 3. Find the “Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker” icon. Press it.
      Step 4. Play!

I’m also playing it right now on my Vita since they released it onto the PSN Network. You’re welcome.

Oh, wait… you mean how to EMULATE Peace Walker? You don’t actually own the game, huh? Isn’t that called PIRATING?

pirate city, b*tch, pirate pirate city, b*tch
      10, 10, 10, 20 dollars? that’s silly b*tch
      100 dollars in my hand? yea fu*k this.
      i’m so cheap, Sony don’t know who they f*cking with.

got this other sh*t, torrenting this other sh*t
      piratin’ all night, ni*ga we don’t give a sh*t
      piratebay so dope, I ain’t quittin’ it
      can’t stop me Sony, maybe take a hint?

no bullshit, Sonys gettin’ pissed
      no money, no money, Sony is like my b*tch
      Sony got the short end of the stick
      Nintendo you know what it is

pirate city b*tch, pirate pirate city b*tch
      10, 10, 10, 20 dollars? that’s silly b*tch

ni*ga, i’m a jew by far
      look at the torrents on the bar
      too bad Sony, PSN sucks hard
      get the f*ck out, no debit card

I need my isos pronto
      get it in the morning like Alonzo
      i’m a pirate, i’m a fu*king desperado
      gonna torrent this b*tch like no tomorrow

i’m at 100, 100
      torrents at 100, 100
      pirate pirate city b*tch
      i’m at 100, 100
      progress at 100, 100
      pirate pirate city b*tch

1. xyz’s avatar

> Oh, wait… you mean how to EMULATE Peace Walker?

> You don’t actually own the game, huh?

Your logic is broken in the most utter way. Nothing stops you from playing purchased and self-ripped UMDs in emulator.

2. SuzieJoeBob’s avatar

You are why guns exist.

15. MJ’s avatar

Emulators on touchscreen in general never clicked with me at all they just feel awkward and inaccurate with no sense of control or feedback responsiveness.

Just my 2 cents…

1. SuzieJoeBob’s avatar

I know exactly what you mean; playing a game on a touchscreen feels unnatural when it was made for a controller/handheld with buttons. That lack of physical buttons makes the game psychologically unplayable, as it was meant to be played with individual buttons, not one big button (the touchscreen).

16. kikershadow’s avatar

slow but nice never emulate 64 100% zelda

17. tonyuk73’s avatar

Having no joy with the HTC one x tekken 6 crashes but I do get a game loading screen …wipe_out bright screen man B-). But looks like a great future for this app.:-)