CryEngine. Hold on, Don’t Cry!

The slightly creepy CryEngine logo, it would be good if it was crying.

I will be doing a few articles on bits of tech that have impacted the games industry, just like i have already done Unreal Engine and Havok Physics. So now I have decided to do my next one (the article your reading now if you didn’t guess) on the CryEngine. It has a little bit more history than you think.

CryEngine 1

This engine, believe it or not was originally never going to be used for games development, instead just a tech demo for the technology company Nvidia, but after Crytek realised its potential…… Far Cry started development.

Later after the engines development, CryEngine 1.3 was released which supported HDR/HDRR lighting (wtf is that? See below.)

The only company that owns a license is NCsoft, who developed Aion: Tower of Eternity on the engine. Well that’s not specifically true. In March 2006 Ubisoft got  a permanent license to use the engine used in Far Cry . They also acquired all intellectual property rights to Far Cry.

Although the game was made in 2004, it still looks amazing.

CryEngine 2

This was the engine that saw the birth of the beautiful Crysis, The first company to grab a license for the CryEngine 2 was a company known as IMAGTP, who don’t make games, but they work in Urban planning and architecture.

Crysis was released in 2007 (before you say no it isn’t) it was released as a PC exclusive and then was re-released on the PS3/Xbox 360         4 years later in 2011, but on CryEngine 3.

A fun fact, in 2007 a college named ‘Ringling’ licensed CryEngine 2 for educational purposes.

In March 2009 at the Game Developers Conference, CryEngine 2′s successor, CryEngine 3, was shown on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

The game is 16+.

Crysis  running on CryEngine 2

CryEngine 3

This engine is bloody amazing when it comes to graphics, lighting, real time reflections and everything else. It was made for MS Windows, PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii U. The PC platform can support DierctX 9,10 and 11.

Although announced in 2007, the company decided to release it 2 years later.

The company announced in June 2009 that Crysis 2 will be developed for the consoles under the new engine. Oddly enough, Crysis (1) was  re-released   after Crysis 2, with the second game in the series being in March 2011 and the first in October later that year.

CryEngine 3 Tech Demo:

I found a pretty little photo describing what games have been developed on the engines :) (yes, Crysis 3 is missing)

I’m can fly!

HDR/HDRR stands for High Dynamic Range Rendering, to put it in words that idiots like me will understand;

No matter how bright something is, or how dark something is, you can still see the details in it.

Name a bit of tech as big as Unreal Engine, Havok Physics  or the CryEngine and if its good enough I’ll do my next post on it

Yay this is my tenth post :)

1. YOLO’s avatar

YOU SHOULD USE UNITY 3D AS YOUR NEXT POST

1. svenn’s avatar

unity is no-linux-go I’m against it.

2. YOLO’s avatar

oh yeah, i am #1aswell.

1. wololo.’s avatar

people stop writing number 1, no one really cares

1. wololo·’s avatar

Hey, stop making your name looking like wololo
        i can fully on see the “ . ”

1. ·wololo’s avatar

i don’t really mind

1. trey’s avatar

Wow dude You are like wololo, except you use a period in your name, hoping that someone won’t notice.

2. woloIo’s avatar

for reall now.

3. yolowololo’s avatar

I am the real wololo.

#YOLO SON

ALSO I AM #20 SON SWAGGGGG!

3. Zapfska’s avatar

Not a big thing. I mean there are alternitives. Rye???

4. adrian’s avatar

the song on video one is basshunter-dota

5. smitty’s avatar

what’s the deal with people putting on here that there number one? am I missing something? any rate good article.

1. previous1st’s avatar

Being number one gives you SUPER POSTER PRIVILEGES. You can tell anyone to f.uck off because you were here f.irst and they came after you.

1. Mr. MaGoo’s avatar

I like that answer considering I got asted for being first on multiple occasions :-)

6. Alex’s avatar

Source engine (wich anyone can get it’s full source code in tpb for the 2007 version as well as source code for games)

1. Guardian’s avatar

No, source no! I mean I like L4D, HL and TF2. I even try to create levels for L4D2 but Hammer is a crappy tool to work with. Crashes every time I play test. Importing the level into the game is a pain in the butt, even importing custom models or custom materials into Hammer is a big headache. I don’t think valve could have made it any harder for anyone to work with that tool.

7. smh’s avatar

No vita news huh…smh

8. Sharo93’s avatar

Crystal Tools the engine that Square Enix used for FFXIII and FF vs XIII

9. decius’s avatar

Which engine is going to support the 177.6GB/s PS4 monster? Let me rephrase that too, which engine is going to utilize the full PS4 GPU? Is it more efficient to have a game engine designed for using limited resources, or having one with the best features?

1. hgoel0974’s avatar

Unreal Engine 4

10. NNNRT’s avatar

Minimur12 wrote:
    “(the article your reading now if you didn’t guess)
    :lol: :lol: :lol:
    I don’t know why the message wasn’t submitted when I added the html code. :?

11. xkwynx’s avatar

maybe do something on the engine quantic dream used in there kara demo…

12. BlackZack’s avatar

“HPL2″ engine

tho, it’s physics are a bit excessive, this engine was made by the swedish indie game develeopers “Frictional Games”.

you all should be familiar with the game “Amnesia – The Dark Descent” and maybe the “Penumbra” games.

it’s not only really beautyful in general, considering, that it’s made by indie-dev’s, the lightings are superb. but they have to be for games like Amnesia, where “ambient” and “enviroment” are both big parts of the gameplay.

1. hgoel0974’s avatar

Oooooooooooh Horror game engine :o lol
      But it seems that minimur has decided which engine comes next. Just wait ;)

13. Delta’s avatar

I have a few engines you could do an article on.

Bullet Physics
    Box2d
    Blender
    Cocos2d
    Chipmunk

14. hgoel0974’s avatar

Hmmmm…
    Let me guess you read the “Frog: I believe I can fly” at DSOG’s CRYEngine 3 showcase? :lol:

15. The Butterfly Effect’s avatar

Are you fucking serious???

Can you at least take me to a grease monkey so I can at least get lubed up before you fuck me. Or at at least a little courtesy lick. How about a little courtesy lick next time you try to fuck me?

1. no’s avatar

Ask your dad to put it in slowly next time.

16. Wiseman’s avatar

Its the all seeing eye….

17. Guardian’s avatar

You should do a report on Fox Engine.

18. enough’s avatar

Ok, im gonna be the first to just say it: This has nothing to do with PSP, PSVITA, or Wagic related.

These articles are a waste of time. Why not research actual news or information based on what this site actually “advertises”?

And type like a professional while your at it.

1. wololo’s avatar

Thanks for the feedback. We are trying to widen our horizons a bit, and I understand that this might not be appreciated by the core readers who have been following this site for years. This is before all a site for gamers, hackers, and indie game programmers, and we try to stick to news related to gaming and hacking in general, with some of our writers more focused on gaming (not necessarily PSP/PS Vita).

I am personally happy to see that we are talking of “more” stuff than we used to (we did not reduce the amount of articles regarding the vita, we just increased the total of articles by adding new writers, so technically there would still be the same amount of vita articles, but just much less articles every week), but I really understand this can be not appreciated so much by people who feel this “dilutes” the information they are looking for.

I will open discussions with our guest bloggers about this, to see if we want to focus more on Sony related stuff, or if we are confident that talking of more various game related topics is something we believe in. In the meantime, I’m open to more feedback from more readers here.

1. Mr. MaGoo’s avatar

I am one of the many here that enjoy reading about multiple aspects as this site has (since I have been a member) been about gaming in general. Even before the newly instated bloggers (who have earned there keep in my eyes), there were discussions such as the x360 and the mk802. This site has been about informing the members and guests of things that they might not have known or have acess to come across. I say let the bloggers do thier thing!!

Agree or dissagree.let me here your replies below ;-)

And here comes the flames…….

1. Dockotis’s avatar

You want da flamerZZZZ?!

Here I comez!!!

………..

I totally agree with your views. The blog posts ,although not centralized on PS all the time, have helped me to discover things I would more or less didn’t quite know before. Its also good because as Wololo stated in his comment above:

“This is before all a site for gamers, hackers, and indie game programmers, and we try to stick to news related to gaming and hacking in general, with some of our writers more focused on gaming (not necessarily PSP/PS Vita).”

So… To all those wanting nothing but PS related news, why don’t you just go to the “big brother” themselves and surf their site? I can guess the reason being that over here, we get news that BENEFITS US…

I also learned of the GCW-Zero from here as well… All in all, I agree with Mr. Magoo..

19. What?’s avatar

im can fly?

20. Crunch’s avatar

You should write about the mother of all engines: Id Tech!

21. Thrawn’s avatar

Yeah, at least when we have come this far, you should write an article of THE MOTHER of all 3D graphic engines on pc and I’m not talking about the shitty 3D “engines” for ancient consoles such as atari jaguar…
    Holy hell we’re talking bout quake, yeah, ID Tech, not only the company with the very first real 3D engine but also the company with the most ported games ever, quake and doom. There is a doom & quake port for almost every plattform, device and piece of hardware with a display.

22. wteff’s avatar

It’d be cool if the eye of the logo was on the verge of tears.. but not crying bc that would be too funny.