Mandatory Vita 2.06 firmware update live!

Sony has just rolled out a new mandatory firmware update for the PlayStation Vita.

Its been awhile since we’ve seen a new firmware update for the Vita with the last firmware update blocking the UNO exploit. Starting now in most regions official firmware update 2.06 has been rolled out and is a mandatory update meaning that if you’re on any firmware lower than that you wont have PSN access. Everyone should receive the update shortly if they haven’t already.

Of course another annoying, reoccurring affair with Sony, no details are given as to what the changes are included with the 2.06 update other than “It improves system software stability for some features.” That statement is extremely vague so it’ll take some analyzing to see what has changed. It’s odd they would release this randomly. It apparently fixes the browser javascript spoofing exploit found awhile back as you can see in the video below from theZ. (Update: we initially incorrectly stated that the firmware did not fix this vulnerability, but the vulnerability actually appears to have been fixed, apologies for this misunderstanding on our end)

Open CMA still works on this new firmware so no need to worry about that at-least!

From a gaming point of view, this firmware update fixes some lag issues in games Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus 2 and New Little Kings Story (thanks to Rawr for the tip on that)

1. Tjoeb123’s avatar

Well, there goes that 2.05 exploit!!

1. hgoel0974’s avatar

Maybe not, no confirmation = no conclusions

2. JeoWay’s avatar

Just because a new update is released, doesn’t mean it patched it. The 2.05 exploit was never released. So its not patched.

3. pirate city’s avatar

And that’s why the exploit wasn’t released for 2.05, otherwise you kids would be crying.

You lose because everyone is smarter than you. Congratulations.

2. Rawr’s avatar

The update fixes the lag in Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus 2 and New Little Kings Story. Tested both, NGSP2 is greatly improved

1. Tjoeb123’s avatar

Hopefully it’ll fix some of those OS bugs too (and if you’ve encountered it, you know what I’m talking about – the one where everything stops loading and eventually makes you restart)

2. yondailan’s avatar

really?ive only tested New little kings story..doesnt fix the lags..the lags still there

3. Rawr’s avatar

Persona 2 Eternal Punishment PSP now works with the Vita as well

1. Internetakias’s avatar

Still bummed we didn’t get the PSP version of EP :/

4. D-TeK-DeV’s avatar

Sure as hell didn’t fix the random booting and errors in Declassified.

3. E’s avatar

I hate the lack of information on Sony’s part. During the early PSP days they would give a huge change log explaining what was fixed. Now, all we get is vagueness.

1. E’s avatar

Maybe their attempt at correcting past mistakes. lol

2. anon’s avatar

hi. Vagueness = security vulnerability patching. Please refer Nintendo they relied on the same terminology when updating DSi firmware to momentarily block flash carts at least 3->4+ times. When companies especially worldwide known companies clam up on details, it’s because they have made an executive decision for you to not know. A company does not want to admit it has hacked anything, or that it’s firmware can be manipulated when it’s meant to be a safely controlled enclosed system for commercial game distribution. It would also make them sound like idiots, like they don’t know what they are doing so badly that some guy can just PWN their safe secure system.

4. SlutterSky’s avatar

I bet you idiots are going to wait until 2.07 comes out.

1. hgoel0974’s avatar

???? For an exploit? Yes, yes we will.
      Problem?

1. ada’s avatar

Yes, there is a huge problem.

We should wait until 6.05 before releasing anything.

5. zoraktorok’s avatar

Yeah on sigma 2… lks, waste of my 40 bones… okay game, but not what i expected.

6. shadowchildknight’s avatar

ok so 2.06 another pointless update for the people on 2.05 what should we do

1. Jd8531’s avatar

I’d recommend just updating if you’re on 2.05 already.

7. mangosteam’s avatar

does ninja gaiden sigma plus works on lower firmwares?? like 1.80 or 1.81

1. Desi’s avatar

it does if u have a physical copy.

1. mangosteam’s avatar

tnx then will soul sacrifice work on lower firmware aswell if you have a physical copy?? im planning to buy one hehe not just sigma plus 2

8. Darkenvy’s avatar

Your the best for keeping us up to date wololo! I get notifications to my phone of your feed. Thats how much I value your word :)

1. n1nurt4’s avatar

take a look at the top of the post
      and give credit where it’s due.

2. NoOne’s avatar

This news is from Jd8531 not from Wololo.

9. SonyAreHitlerLovers’s avatar

ninja gaiden sigma plus is an old game, it most likely works on 1.81. Some even newer games work on 1.81. Just google and find the info.

10. exploit2.6’s avatar

Hi everyone im the firmware devs have been waiting to have fun with.Soon i will share my vulnerabilities and we once again have fun. *_*

11. BrutalNarwhal’s avatar

Would you guys recommend just updating?
    Or well there be something release on the 2.05

1. gunblade’s avatar

think they said to jus update to 2.06 its alright still on the realses for ar.k i think for 150 2 202

12. Germinator’s avatar

Just found out that Germinator is the new exploit.

1. J3LACK--EAGLE’s avatar

i dont think thats a psp game

13. Adrian’s avatar

Seems that the browser bug is resolved, where nearly every page reloads infinitely.

1. gunblade’s avatar

n i jus noticed the browser thing…

14. gunblade’s avatar

bumers i jus updated to 2.05 too.. C[V]a still working. was updated near wen had a update system on login in to psn…

15. Acid_Snake’s avatar

it’s interesting to see how long they took to fix the javascript spoofing xploit, that could have cost people all their money and personal information, but they barely take a few hours to patch vhbl, which is harmless to neither sony nor the end user. So it all comes down to this:
    - harmless exploit that only lets people run homemade apps -> instantly patched
    - dangerous exploit that could potentially be used to steal people’s bank accounts -> took a while to patch, and not because it was hard

I’m done with Sony, they have been buttraping us for a long time, the vita was the last console I’ve bought from them, and I’m starting to think I did a great mistake.

1. SofaKing™’s avatar

@ Acid_Snake i am with you, i have always wondered why sony spends so much time and money “protecting” this device and stopping it from playing 10-20 year old games? that money could have been spent on making GREAT games for this nice piece of hardware. i DO regret purchasing this thing, it feel like $300 of broken promises, where is crash bandicoot(usa) where is angrybirds(usa) why cant i “remote play” RISK when a game carrys on and i got to go? “sorry you cannot remote play on the 3G network” why why why did i spend the extra $50 on that? 250Mb for $16 and all you can do is YouTube? why even offer the 5Gb if one can not use it all up? oh i could go on and on, thumbs up to you Acid_Snake, you have been here a LONG time.

1. pirate city’s avatar

Sony NEEDS to protect this device as best as possible to prevent idiots from pirating games. I fear the worst if they ever let down their guard. It could be a very early end for the Vita.

But… most of all, I fear the cities of the world will turn into: PIRATE CITY.

pirate city, b*tch, pirate pirate city, b*tch
        10, 10, 10, 20 dollars? that’s silly b*tch
        100 dollars in my hand? yea fu*k this.
        i’m so cheap, Sony don’t know who they f*cking with.

got this other sh*t, torrenting this other sh*t
        piratin’ all night, ni*ga we don’t give a sh*t
        piratebay so dope, I ain’t quittin’ it
        can’t stop me Sony, maybe take a hint?

no bullshit, Sonys gettin’ pissed
        no money, no money, Sony is like my b*tch
        Sony got the short end of the stick
        Nintendo you know what it is

pirate city b*tch, pirate pirate city b*tch
        10, 10, 10, 20 dollars? that’s silly b*tch

ni*ga, i’m a jew by far
        look at the torrents on the bar
        too bad Sony, PSN sucks hard
        get the f*ck out, no debit card

I need my isos pronto
        get it in the morning like Alonzo
        i’m a pirate, i’m a fu*king desperado
        gonna torrent this b*tch like no tomorrow

i’m at 100, 100
        torrents at 100, 100
        pirate pirate city b*tch
        i’m at 100, 100
        progress at 100, 100
        pirate pirate city b*tch

1. Fingloi_x3’s avatar

F*ck you you sinnging one eyed porch monkey.

No Asian love? huh? Wololo?

2. vextype-0’s avatar

that was awsome

2. pirate city’s avatar

I HIGHLY suspect that you are trying to pirate games. My pirate compass points directly towards you. Sony MUST spend time protecting their games. I fear the end of the world if Sony ever lets down their guard.

But, most of all… I fear: PIRATE CITY

2. gopher’s avatar

I bet you’ll still buy a Sony console even after you said that. Same garbage with the PSP during it’s early days. Last Sony console purchase for the PSP owners, right?

OMG! PS3. Take my money Sony.

Now PS4 is being released. The same people that said they won’t buy anything with the Sony label on it just came buckets and jizzed all over their computer screens.

B*tch, please. Don’t give me that.

1. Kyu’s avatar

BITCH PLEASE,I won’t buy a ps4 just as I did not buy ps3.

1. yolo’s avatar

gopher is correct.

Also, be sure to wipe away the c*m from your computer monitor. PS4 is coming soon enough, but it looks like you guys did first. lol

2. yolo’s avatar

gopher is correct.

Also, be sure to wipe away the c*m from your computer monitor. PS4 is coming soon enough, but it looks like you guys came f!rst. lol

16. carlos’s avatar

did that fol just make a rap

1. pirate city’s avatar

Are you a pirate?

1. Dmaskell92’s avatar

The way I see it, he just made a parody of a song, more stupid than he is. Pirate City? More like DouchbagVille.

17. Kyu’s avatar

Sony pls
    Bring in the good stuff -.-

18. nCadeRegal’s avatar

@acid AGREED! If $ony would quit wasting our time with these irrelevant updates or so called “stability” fixes and concentrate more instead on getting this drought of games we are and have been experiencing fixed. This would be the handheld of all handhelds! Its all there, but i have yet to see them even try to push the envelope with this device! That is why i call it the playstation beta, not vita. It seems as if were part of a friggin beta test since the release of this handheld. I love the device, i hate their terrible first and 3rd party support! Heres hoping that project shield will crush when it comes out, as that is on my most wanted list as of right now!

19. Zyrkl’s avatar

Wow. Nice update (Not pointless at least). I’m glad to hear Sony still gives a rat’s ass about their portable.

20. Fingloi_x3’s avatar

f*ck! the japanese people always hava a new good game. thou i cant read japanese. wtf sony?

21. Castiel’s avatar

I’ve been sitting on the 2.02 UNO exploit since its ninja release. Now my Vita spends its days collecting dust in a drawer. I purchased quite a few games and was disappointed by the buggy network features and online play. I’ve been waiting for a new/better exploit or a meaningful update from $ony so I could start playing again. Which ever comes first is fine with me. This Vita was a waste of time. I was ecstatic when I first heard of the NGP and its potential looked amazing. But it seems all $ony cares about is making sure people don’t play a game-boy on their Vitas rather than improving their own platform.
    I’ve been considering purchasing the PS4 but the more I think about, the more I figure it will be another waste of time.
    I’m giving my Vita 2 more months, then I’m selling it. Wasted too much money on it and PSN to just have it sit around now.
    You’re doing a wonderful job $ony.
    Keep it up.

22. bob mc squiggle’s avatar

dudes if i can emulate pretty much anything on a smart phone and hook up a controller i don’t know why i still have my vita, like the game line up kinda sucks atm

1. pirate city’s avatar

Use your smart phone then? No one really cares.

23. African American deviant’s avatar

How many games did the ps3 have after its first birthday compare it to its apprentice the psv. Sony of jpan and of US better shape the fuck up before the psv goes to shit by September. From what i can tell sony wants to save all the cool features of the vita that can be used on a exploit ps3 right now until the launch of the ps4.Thats a huge blunder by sony corporate of japan and america if they do that because by then gamestop ebay and amazon plus craigslist will have tons of ps vitas selling for 70 to 110 us dollars.
    If you go on some of those sites the vita sells alone as low as 80 us dollars thats madness.
    Thats why people rather have a tablet instead of the vita because it offers way more.
    Cheers to all my english muffins and a yo yo yo to my american peeps buyakasha!

24. Epic_Dongweilder’s avatar

The rack city parody was DOPE. Acid snake and the likeminded are absolutely correct. A pox on the ps4. The only reason sony is getting away with (and all other consumer related companies) putting out sh*tty stuff is because STUPID PEOPLE WILL STILL BUY IT. They are LITERALLY BANKING ON IT. Those opposed will STEAL and/or modify rather than waste ANOTHER hard earned buck. Wanna spank em like I do? PLEASE STOP SPENDING MONEY WITH THEM. Watch them fold or change. ALL THE POWER is in THE SMART CONSUMERS POCKET! Watch sales drop and then the f*ckers will listen… hell they might even start asking. Bottom line: IT DOESN’T COST ENOUGH TO CARE YET. Do your part and tell your friends. Please.

25. Epic_Dongweilder’s avatar

im not advocating theft either I mean a grass roots global BOYCOTT OF SH*TTY WORK! WRITE THEM TWEET THEM. IM JUST ONE EPIC_DONGWEILDER. IT TAKES A NATION. Or many nations….