Havok Physics – What Such Havok!

Just like my previous article, I have decided to do it on technology that has impacted the games industry more than English people like tea (I’m allowed to, I’m British. Yes, I do love it).

The Havok engine was demoed at the  PS4 event, showcasing how it can have 1 million moving objects at the same time:

This legendary bit of kit is made by a company in Ireland. It is a physics engine which has been used in a ridiculous amount of different games (more than 500!).

Some games that you would’ve heard of that have been under the havok engine, would be games like:

Bioshock 1 & 2
COD Black Ops II
Black Ops declassified
Heavy Rain
L.A. Noire
Gravity Rush
Uncharted 2,3, Golden Abyss
And if you havent heard of any of those, get off of your Wii U and get a PS/Xbox
(preferably PS though ;) )

Physics is a big part of the game, so much so that it can (if done wrong) turn the whole game on its head.
I think this is why so many people have decided to use the Havok engine, because they know it’s reliable, and that it will do a great job.

Believe it or not, this game didn’t use Havok Physics:

(It is still a good game though)

Did you hear? Apple was going to buy Ireland, but re-name it to I-land.

PS. I don’t like Fifa, I just said that to keep the trolls happy.

Name something that has impacted the gaming industry as much as the Unreal Engine, and Havok physics has, and I’ll do my next article on it ;) .

1. Rusty_train’s avatar

Congratulations on being stupid, you will receive dumbass of the year award soon enough

2. #18’s avatar

…To die.

1. no’s avatar

Wrong. He is the f!rst. He chooses what all of your fates are.

First poster rights. Understand or leave.

2. no’s avatar

Wrong. He is the f!rst. He chooses what all of your fates are.

F!rst poster rights. Understand or leave.

1. Draken Stark’s avatar

Joysticks have made a huge difference in gaming, but I think that topic has been overdone. Maybe early online play?

2. Kim’s avatar

Omg lol at the Fifa video. xD

3. zorrodood’s avatar

i was wondering why HAVOK was in pretty much every game i played lately

4. StepS’s avatar

hey man, can you replace the havok video with a proper one? the current one is likely a screenrip, so it has a few pauses in it.

5. Jeers&Queers’s avatar

Not to mention the majority of British people have poor dental hygiene from all that green tea and eating crumpets. I know that this has nothing to do with stupid FIFA, just making a point. Lmao

1. ASKidwai’s avatar

Says who? The fat American whose only contact with human life is at Wal Mart and lives in a country that was once a colony?

1. Angry Chav’s avatar

Angry chav alert.

Watch out! This guy has bad teeth!

2. lololol’s avatar

Fat American, huh?

That’s funny because we absolutely destroy you in every sport, in games, and everything else.

EUR = no games. Cry about release dates, etc.
        Sports = USA > UK. Michael Bisping likes to take shots to the face. Way to represent the UK.

1. Mart’s avatar

So kicking an egg and call it football, counts as a sport?

A ball is supposed to be ROUND. Call it Eggball or Eggsoccer, and leave the real sports to Europe. Americants playing Fusboll bahahahaha

Americans are known as the fattest though, supersizing all their McD meals, didn’t a NYC major even want to forbid large cans of coke and other soda?

But yeah, some Americans did destroy the rest in some sports, like Armstrong did for 7 years in the Tour the France. Oh wait, he was using some stuff that wasn’t allowed. Bet he wasn’t the only American in the only sport using dope to win. Besides the fact that comparing a country of 300 mln inhabitants would be more logical to compare to the whole of EU and not just UK, a more fair match it would be.

If anything, Americans came from deported Europeans, the ones we wanted to get rid off overhere :P

Anyways, Fifa and its physics fails, lol

1. ProCyoN’s avatar

B!tch please, you both suck. Latinos are the best xD We’re not fat nor skinny, we eat mostly organic food and products and our countries produce lots of healthy vegetables, fruits and obviously a big variety of meats, we have excellent teeth and our Spanish sounds better (God bless Latin dubs on movies and series).

Ahh I forgot, we have a higher average on ‘it’, just below the Afro-descendants, and a really good stamina and performance :D

Our economy isn’t good, but living is really easy and relaxed… and we have beautiful women everywhere.

Buuuuuut…. i respect from the bottom of my heart all the ones involved with the cyber-culture, so no hard feelings :)

6. knux’s avatar

the only game that i knew runned on the havok engine was sonic generations XD wow that game was fun :D anyways i didn’t know it ran fifa…

1. knux’s avatar

oh, i feel stupid now…fifa didn’t run it XD

7. sage’s avatar

Dark Souls used Havok, but when you ran over a dead body the physics were extremely weird.

Was it a problem of Havok or the game itself?

8. Guardian’s avatar

Do an article about Jack Thompson. I am sure some people still remember this son of a !@#$%.

1. yea!’s avatar

F*CK YEA! I’M A DINOSAUR!

9. TStrauss’s avatar

I’m glad Havok is now supporting GPU assisted physics computation. For the longest time, it was all being done in the CPU. You might want to mention PhysX here for pioneering the removal of physics processing from the CPU, first via discrete physics processing units, and then (once Nvidia bought PhysX), via GPU acceleration. The best implementation of GPU assisted physics was Batman: Arkham Asylum. I’m sure there are video comparisons of it on YouTube. It was really impressive.

10. vFX’s avatar

Valve’s Source Engine also doing awesome job, but they aren’t into these console gaming at all :(

1. TStrauss’s avatar

Source is starting to show its age, and needs a major overhaul to keep up. Check out the blog post of the HL2 Cinematic Mod team for details on that.

Also, Source is on consoles. Has been since Orange Box, and console implementation has been available to licensees since then. Source is poorly optimized, however, which is why none of the PC TF2 updates were ever brought to 360/ PS3–they needed more memory than consoles have to offer.

1. Electric Penis’s avatar

Uhm, no, Source has been on consoles since Half Life 2′s release on the original Xbox.

Do some fucking research before you post, you goddamn jellyfish-pleaser.

1. TStrauss’s avatar

You really live up to your name, Electric Penis. Such a kindly post!

Half Life 2 was released on the original XBox, but AFAIK, the Source engine wasn’t released for licensees for consoles until this generation (2007 according to Wikipedia, although PS3 support sucked until some time later).

I’d call you something colorful in exchange, but I can’t top your . . . Tirade. Congratulations?

1. rofl’s avatar

Do some research TStrauss.

Do it, or f.uck off.

2. Electric Penis’s avatar

Your point about licensees is entirely fucking irrelevant. Half Life 2 on the original Xbox was the first console game to utilize the Source Engine, ergo, Source has been on consoles ever since its release.

But hey, whatever works for you; if you want to keep on feeding me, go right ahead. I’m super hungry.

3. TStrauss’s avatar

Why are you people so angry?

We aren’t talking about games, we’re talking about engines. HL2 does run on the Source engine, and it was on the XBox, so you could say that Source has been on consoles since the XBox. But console support wasn’t written into the main Source code until 2007. Which means that HL2 was the exception rather than the rule. Claiming that Source was on the XBox is a misleading statement.

I not only have done the research, I was in the scene when all of these things took place. I remember the big to-do that happened when console support was added to the main Source branch. I remember when PS3 support was rewritten in-house, because EA’s implementation sucked. Go get a copy of Orange Box and L4D on PS3 if you don’t believe me!

So please do us all a favor and take a nap, have a nice, cool drink, and shut the hell up. You’re both acting like idiots.

4. Electric Penis’s avatar

Your point is still irrelevant beyond the comprehension of your puny little brain, apparently. The Source Engine was running on the original Xbox before any console game in existence, ergo, it was the first instance of the Source Engine on consoles.

I don’t give a felated fuck whether it had console support written in it or not at the time, fact is, it was running on a console(and beautifully). Argue moot points all you want, it just feeds my hungry ass that much more.

5. TStrauss’s avatar

I thought these posts were moderated? You are absolutely vile.

I don’t think I like talking with you. You’re bizarrely angry (did I call your wife fat or something?), and your comments are getting more and more explicit. Please go crawl back into the angry little hole you crawled out of and write your manifestos about the proper dating of video game engine ports to consoles. Maybe get laid, smoke a bowl, whatever makes you approximate a human, before you come back out.

If you would like to act like a big boy and use grown up words, I’d be happy to talk about the subject some more. It interests me. But until then, please leave me alone because we’re done.

6. Electric Penis’s avatar

Yes, because getting high off of illegal drugs and fornicating someone of the female gender is what truly makes me a member of the human race. I guess sober (read: smart) people aren’t human beings, as well as the many children and adults who have not engaged in sexual acts; I bet you live in America, don’t you? That would explain why you have such outlandish and borderline psychotic mindsets.

Anyways, if you MUST know why I am such a bitter extraterrestrial being:
            When I was only but seven years old, my village, as well as everyone I ever knew and loved, was burned to the ground. This would have me embark onto a quest, with the only goal being my retribution; I WOULD have it, I assure you.

I would get into much more than I bargained for, though, as I was soon told by Xeno Gods that I was the chosen one… I, Electric Penis, was the only one who could collect the Eight Crystals of Talkü’Rop and restore balance to the universe.

I’ve killed so much on my long journey, that it eventually made me into the person you see before you: a cold, bitter excuse of an alien. I’m just glad my late friends and family can’t see what I’ve become, as they would be sorely disappointed in me.

Anyways, your leaving this discussion in such a clearly angry manner indicates that I’ve won. Thanks, pal.

7. TStrauss’s avatar

Calmer than you are.

2. jonydols’s avatar

Doesn’t the Source Engine use Havok?

11. RzmmDX’s avatar

That player is a diving champ!

12. Tha boss’s avatar

Half life 2 engine

1. kgsws’s avatar

half-life from beginning

13. へんたい_仮面’s avatar

てっけん tag 2

14. Davee’s avatar

So this article…

is a list?

1. Electric Penis’s avatar

This article, as well as every other written by the author is a fucking mess.

15. Vahkiti’s avatar

Ahem.. but I think the flipside of this is that even a physics engine can be used wrong Havok being no exception. Case in point; Sonic 06. :P

16. tim’s avatar

Can we look into other Engines such as:

[Known for its FPS titles]
    “Valves Engine”(Half-Life series)
    “Monolith Engine”(SHOGO)

[Known for its Isometric Titles],
    “Liquid Entertainment Engine” (Battle Realms),
    “Infinity Engine” (Dragon Age Origin),
    “BattleZone Engine” (BZ2)
    “Warcraft 3 Engine” (WC3)

Thanks