Japan gets a PS Vita Price cut

SCEJ President Hiroshi Kawano has announced a price cut for Japanese Ps vita Models down to 19,980 yen  (approx. $215) for both wifi and 3g models.
Previously, 3G+Wifi: 30,000
Wifi Only: 25,000
Japanese Vita buyers will also get a 7 day trial of PS PLUS (Uncharted, Ridge Racer, and other freebies in the month of February)

Is Sony trying to sell more vitas in parallel with their big ps4 announcement, to guarantee a good number of Vita users will help with the symbiosis between the two devices? Or are their Vita sales that bad? The vita, when launched in japan on Dec. 17 2011 sold about 325,000 units, and it came to an all time low in the 2nd week of Feb 2012 with only 12,309 units sold in japan. Even the PSP out-sold the vita by 2000 models…

More surprisingly, the 3G model and the Wifi model are now the same price, is there any reason to not buy the 3G Model?

psvitapriceSony have confirmed that no similar price cut should be expected in the US.

Why do YOU think the vita is getting a price cut?

Source: Engadget

(note by wololo: we’re a bit late on that piece of news, we got sidetracked by the ps4 announcement, apologies for that!)

1. johnny’s avatar

Meanwhile Sony will release 4G Vita for $299. How would that be?

2. QUICKSORT’s avatar

3G is expensive as hell in my country, so it wouldn’t have mattered in the end for me (a wifi-model owner since day 1 of release)

1. bluetiger’s avatar

ditto for me. but from what I understand you still need Wi-Fi in the end cause there are some things 3g can’t do. is that true?

3. tigerblack’s avatar

jus got me one of dem vitas it aint worth it yo nuddin good

1. GodDamnYourEnglish’s avatar

i got you buddy!, let me go grab you a dictionary.

1. Exploit_Zero’s avatar

forget a dictionary we need a translator

1. Moi’s avatar

Forget the translator; he needs education.

1. >_>’s avatar

First-grade education, STAT.

2. SuperiorKnightZ’s avatar

Theres and app for that.

4. shadowchildknight’s avatar

i actually love my vita 3g in california is super cheap i love the games but meh their something missing

5. Disturbed’s avatar

Additionally they will get a FREE 32GB Proprietary memory card with some new bundle purchase.

6. RiotDX’s avatar

Sony probably vastly overestimated their Vita sales in Japan. As popular as Monster Hunter is in Japan, the lack of even an announcement of one on the Vita is probably worse on their Japanese sales than they had anticipated.

7. bane’s avatar

the console is great..however more of the game developed does not use the most feature of the vita…the graphic is not good as expected for a lot of vita game..buying for dollars but the game was small as hell for example there is vita games that less than 1 gig..only uncharted raised attention to me.. hope the future vita game will be better..

8. naki’s avatar

I am actually considering buying a vita now, since I want to play God Eater 2 in its full glory :)

9. Vitality777’s avatar

So far only 1 game on the Vita that really freaked me out and which was an instabuy. Alien Breed. Played it for years on the Amiga 500/600 back in the days. So I had to have it :-)

10. EJ’s avatar

Love my Vita, I use it daily for hours, video, music, games, twitter, all of it. I’d definitely pick up a second one if they lowered the price and surely some memory too.

11. Leires’s avatar

*quote*
    Shuhei Yoshida, Sony’s president of Worldwide Studios, said that the PS Vita would not have its price reduced in North America. The announcement came during a roundtable discussion that accompanied Sony’s big PS4 unveiling. It appears as if Japan will be the only location to receive the price cut, as Yoshida said that no other markets, including Europe, would see reductions.

As for the reasoning behind the decision to leave North America out in the cold, Yoshida cited exchange rates as a major factor.

*endquote*

1. Kyu’s avatar

Eh,I can still live with it,I got a decent bundle for 200€.

12. jake’s avatar

after the vita gets jailbroken, who cares what they sell for in japan. I
    expect a Dark Alex type to do this before the end of this year.

1. svenn’s avatar

I doubt it; they made big mistakes on the PSP, the VITA is beeing promoted as ps4 controller, so they don’t expect there security to break any time soon.

1. Kyu’s avatar

Expectations NEVER meet reality :P

1. Exploit_Zero’s avatar

much like sony’s promises

2. svenn’s avatar

I think for a company as sony they pretty much know the lifespan of there security. PS3 has been broken open how long ? They might have been wrong a few years, but then again, the internet provides a very annoying wall for hackers and streaming games will be “uncopy” able (as in you can’t copy what you can’t read). So Sony wins again … :)

1. Seife’s avatar

It’s not give up yet…. there’s still hope ;(

2. pirate city’s avatar

No hope. Time to give up. I know what you’re planning. No.

13. Omnitrix152’s avatar

dark alex left the scene years ago you fucktard, he never attempted in hacking the 3000 when it came out.

1. Kyu’s avatar

The only tard here is you,he did not say that Dark Alex himself would hack it but someone of his caliber.

2. Exploit_Zero’s avatar

he said dark alex “type”

14. bluetiger’s avatar

I wud pay any price for a system…within reason of course. but it’s really the games that need a price drop. that’s where it hurts the most. I mean the overall quality of some of these new titles on the Vita aren’t much better than most smartphone games yknow? it’s making the Vita look bad for god’s sakes. right now I get headaches and eyestrain every time I play PlayStation allstars…what where they thinking…!