PS4 to Stream PS3 games? Duh…

As the Sony conference on February 20th is approaching, more and more “confirmed rumors” are pouring in on many websites. Today the Wall Street Journal announces that they got confirmation from “people familiar with Sony’s plan” that the PS4 will embed technology allowing it to stream PS3 games.

I say “duh”. Anybody who’s followed the gaming industry for the past couple years knows that this is happening. Was anybody in the gaming industry expecting that Sony bought Gaikai last year for nothing? Any gamer who’s tried Gaikai’s competitor service Onlive knows that the technology is very close to be ready. And by “ready”, I mean “mainstream” ready. Technically, Onlive already works, and the only thing it was probably missing so far was a better business plan and maybe exclusive contents, which led to its restructuring a few months ago.

I’ve seen Onlive work flawlessly on a tablet connected through Wifi, and on a phone on the LTE network here in Tokyo. Sure, Street Fighter IV players will not necessary like the minor added latency, but I have no doubt that this is where gaming is headed, and that Sony already has good plans to improve a system that already shown it is operational. I am also sure that Microsoft, and, who knows, maybe Valve, Google, Apple also have plans around this.

Streaming games tomorrow sounds as natural to me as using Netflix or Amazon Instant video to watch movies today. This is why I am not surprised at all when WSJ says the PS4 will be able to stream PS3 games. I could have written the same thing myself 6 months ago.

The real interesting question here is not “will this happen?”, but “how much will it cost?”. Will it be an “all you can play” service like Netflix (or, to some extent, Playstation Plus), or a traditional “you buy the content, but it is hosted on our platform” scheme?

Most likely, details about this service will be announced on the 20th, let’s wait and see.

Source WSJ

1. Liam’s avatar

All I can say is that as long as it’s free and you can access your old PS3 games (some sorta register function via PSN with the PS3 disks?), I’ll be fine with it. I’d hate for it to turn into something like Xbox Live, where you need to pay per month to use it…

1. clicks’s avatar

Or PlayStation Plus?

1. UKDNA’s avatar

Playstation plus doesn’t require you to pay to play online (or for that matter to watch streaming video services you ALREADY PAID FOR) – you’d have to be simple to compare the two

1. Kyu’s avatar

And PS plus provides you with free games and gives you small discounts on stuff for as long as you are a ps plus member (which isn’t a high cost a year,considering that most retail games have big pricing)

1. jacob’s avatar

Lol.. I can’t believe how bad fanboys still are on this, I have both and 80% of PS + “free” games aren’t worth getting, and Xbox live gives you free games and discounts as well, the service is nothing impressive on either console. Xbox is much better to use however when it comes to actually getting content, while being douchey in that you need it to use Netflix and such too.

In response to streaming.. god no, this is absolutely awful and I will rue the day when software companies have convinced everyone to foolishly forfeit their ability to play used games and be locked into a Netflixesq world where we never truly own anything.. Demand physical copies, without online codes!! (the same tactic to profit in every used game transaction). There’s no reason they can’t have flash drives or SD card games to cut out the minor cost of disk drives..

2. no’s avatar

CLICKS IS A MORON.

2. hgoel0974’s avatar

I am pretty sure they won’t allow you to access your old ps3 games or else they would have done it for the Vita and PSP games.

3. Shapeshifter’s avatar

I don think they will let u use ur ps3 disks to register for free pen versions they haven’t done that for psp-vita scenario too,they will title it hd remake and sell games we own back to us.personally I feel that’s y piracy exists in the first place..
      They charge u 400$ for a base console then make u pay for extras,games and accessories etc and soon we realise that we have to keep aside 60$ every month for every new game

Long story short I feel if games were closer to a max of 40-50$ and started at 20$ for good games,piracy wouldn’t exist.
      Where Im from people pay 10$ for pc version of gta 4(original) and pirate games like diablo 3 as its for 70$ for all platforms here.

1. pirate city’s avatar

Did you just say… PIRACY! OMG!

pirate city bi*ch, pirate pirate city b*tch
        10, 10, 10, 20 dollars? that’s silly bi*ch
        100 dollars in my hand?
        yea fu*k this.
        I’m so cheap, sony don’t know who they f*cking with.

1. barfanon’s avatar

You are retarded

2. R-Man’s avatar

I feel that todays internet speed is still not there yet for game streaming.

1. InSoHaPo’s avatar

Ok about “today’s internet speed” do you know that some countries have a 100MB/s connection? that’s right 100 Megabytes per second. and yet that is not being pushed to become the new standard and I don’t know why but lets face it we have the technology to do it but the only thing that is stopping us is money of course.

1. Sero’s avatar

It isn’t the speed; it’s the latency. You can have a 100mbps connection but if you have a ping over 500 then your video is a full half second behind your inputs. People with satellite Internet connections simply wouldn’t be able to use the service–same with those on cable connections during peak times.

2. UKDNA’s avatar

Scary – all business in the US is moving toward the mafia business model – milk people little by little forever. and now is what’s happening with all the could and streaming. The ISP love it as well – its win-win for everyone but the customer. There’s no reason the iPad, for example, shouldn’t be able to host USB and connect to external storage except to fleece people into paying for online storage perpetuity. I think humanity as a whole is too stupid to collectively stand against this future…

1. UKDNA’s avatar

could=cloud. Sorry for the grammar, my GF likes to go running at 7am so I just sit here bitter and groggy

2. jacob’s avatar

Agree completely. Its designed to slowly force us onto recurring money drains.. its a gaming tax that we will all be stuck with if we don’t wise up…

But to most people, if its convenient they don’t mind being robbed..

3. Death_489’s avatar

No it’s greed of the companies. They take 80 dollars and say it’s unlimited and have 24Mb/s but in reality it’s only 60GB with less then 1 Mb/s . You see ?. It’s not about the money..

1. Death_489’s avatar

They just don’t want to upgrade and give us these speeds with real unlimited network with that price..

4. bitbybit’s avatar

Yet it depends on the web server you are downloading from.

3. IgnusArmagadan’s avatar

So basically all our PS3 games that we own a physical copy of would become useless. Sounds dumb to me…

1. UKDNA’s avatar

All the blockbusters are ported to PC and they will always be backwards compatible. Screw Sony, they are just giving us more reason to buy a smart TV in lieu of a playstation

4. w7y7a7t7t’s avatar

maybe in japan where you have unreal internet speeds, but here in Canada (especially saskatchewan, where i live) There’s no way internet speeds would allow for lag-free game play. I really hope this isn’t the only option for backwards compatibility…

1. clicks’s avatar

Europe and Japan have good enough speeds to take advantage of it, so 2 out of 3 isn’t bad from a business perspective… assuming this isn’t the only option for backwards compatibility as you stated.

Problem is… Sony would much rather have people re-purchase their old favorites (or at least pay to play them) then be able to pick up/buy an old copy of them. The Vita’s UMD trade-in deal didn’t die off because it was too hard to do, there was just better money with the other option, and Sony just believes $ > customer satisfaction.

1. no’s avatar

BECAUSE NOBODY LIKES MONEY, RIGHT?

SONY SHOULD STOP BEING MORONS AND GIVE EVERYTHING FOR FREE. THAT WILL MAKE EVERYBODY HAPPY, SOLVE WORLD HUNGER AND PREVENT POVERTY FROM EVER HAPPENING AGAIN. THE EARTH WILL BE SAVED.

But seriously, fuck you.

1. Zimond’s avatar

you just went full retard , son.

1. your mom’s avatar

I WENT FULL RETARD ON YOUR MOM LAST NIGHT IN BED.

PWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

DESTROYED.

5. MarSprite’s avatar

I second the “Duh”, this has been an obvious trend in consumer media for years now.

6. _A_’s avatar

I think that Sony UA trying to avoid any piracy by making you register your ps3 games to play them via streaming. That way one game wouldn’t play in two different systems, unless they had the same account.

7. gamerc16’s avatar

SONY = GREED !!!!

8. ghadz’s avatar

High hopes that vita gets ps3 streaming as well… will it be rent to play? Psplus?

9. NoName’s avatar

Yay for streaming. Who doesn’t want to play games with permanent lag, medium detail settings, small resolution and compression artifacts on top?
    At least for PC. I want to play using 5760×1080 and not some blurry 1280×720 that gets stretched to 1920×1080. And I assume that it won’t even be able to display 3D.

Hope this stuff stays optional.

10. Shinra358’s avatar

Nobody wants to buy games at full price to rent.

Oh yeah, say goodbye to emulation folks. No way you can back up your games now considering the discs are way too big.

1. d1ru’s avatar

never say never, my friend. increases in file size affect mainly only the act of backing up, yielding a change in the way we back up – such as the ability to only use 1 game at a time without having to exchange games from your backup HDD rather than have 4 or 5 on something like an SD card. A Hassle, maybe, but impossible no. Will it stop hackers from developing/finding cracks because of it? no. Or even stop ppl from downloading and running the games despite the limitations? Of course not, lol.

1. Shinra358’s avatar

that’s alot of sd cards, thumb drives, and hdds!

4 wiiu/ps3 games are 1tb!

1. NoName’s avatar

4 PS3 games are 1 TB?
          That’d make 250 GB per disc. Which disc technology stores this much? Certainly not BluRay.

1. Shinra358’s avatar

No they aren’t. I messed up. 1 game is about 25gb. Still alot of space taken up though.

1. d1ru’s avatar

you misunderstand. despite limitations, ppl would still copy game A onto sd card (or whatever media is available), and when finished using it/wanting to play something else, delete it and transfer something else onto it while backing up said games onto an external source. point being: even if its a hassle, backups will still happen, and emulation will survive

2. Shinra358’s avatar

yea, ur statement is.

3. Shinra358’s avatar

@Hardin

2. Ry Spears’s avatar

my first computer had a 20MB harddrive, Commander Keen took up 8 of those megabytes…

technology is multitudes past what i ever imagined back then, but i can still play commander keen.

11. ZeroHart’s avatar

I just hope that since they are announcing a Vita 4G they announce the PS3 games streaming service also on a Vita, maybe that will help with the vita sales :)

12. svenn’s avatar

streaming might be a feature, but if its a “main feature” a lot gamers will be in the cold. Cause internet is a grant, but a stable ping is def. not a grant around the globe.

13. GamerX’s avatar

I’m still waiting on word of the used game department. Streaming games that they control is 2 different things when it comes to something that they can not control.

Untill this is confirmed, I’ll not be buying into the next gen product.

14. johnny’s avatar

What about Killzone picture showing on a Laptop on Gaikai website? and some other PS3 titles.

15. Ken’s avatar

Wheres electric penis?

16. musashiro’s avatar

lol… im using a connection that’s clocked @ 1Mbps, is this feature still enjoyable??

maybe i will need to upgrade my connection just to use this feature.. :P

17. codeine’s avatar

Nice, i love the sound of exorbitant internet requirements huge latency delays in controls and lower quality visuals.

Wtf are you guys thinking if this is good news.

1. wololo’s avatar

I think it depends on the country you live in. From what I’ve seen with Onlive running here in Japan, it ran very smoothly and it means access to a huge library of latest generation games from any low-end tablet or phone. It allows any crappy device to play next-gen titles for a reasonable fee.

In the case of the PS4/PS3, that could mean no stupid costs involved in backwards compatibility, which, even though I would love to see native backwards compatibility, could help reducing the costs.
      It’s also fairly known that manufacturers remove backwards compatibility (see NDS with GBA, PS3 with PS1/PS2…) in their second hardware iteration. Backwards compatibility “for free” is never something they intend to maintain, it’s a lure to motivate early adopters who are hesitating between the previous gen and the new one. So it’s not like native PS3 backwards compatibility would have been a thing anyway, except maybe on the first hardware iteration.

18. Asdfjuma’s avatar

FU dial up internet!! Always ruining my gaming experience.

At very least they should have proper PS2 emulation in place for the PS4. Maybe we’ll have to wait for the PS5 or PS6 before we can put our old and expensive collections of Blu-ray discs to use again.

19. Asdfjuma’s avatar

I’m all for stupid costs for backwards compatibility. Heck, if it were possibly I would make a PS4 case mod so I can stick a PS3 motherboard in there with it too.

20. Nani’s avatar

:arrow:
    With the Nvidia’s Project Shield Release, I guess Sony is going to loose so much of reputation and craze to their Consoles. :mrgreen:

:idea: Coz Shield runs on Android it allows easy hacking.
    Alternatively we have a ton of free :P games.
    It also streams the games :D from your computer.

Am greatly disappointed for getting Vita. :cry:
    :!: Waiting 8O for Shields Release. :)

Hope good days for :lol: “FREEDOM GAMING” is Soon !!! :roll:

1. pirate city’s avatar

‘Coz Shield runs on Android it allows easy hacking.’ <– suspect pirate…?

'Am greatly disappointed for getting Vita.' <– disappointed pirate…?

'Hope good days for :lol: “FREEDOM GAMING” is Soon !!!' <– pirate alert.

pirate city bi*ch, pirate pirate city b*tch
      10, 10, 10, 20 dollars? that's silly bi*ch
      100 dollars in my hand?
      yea fu*k this.
      I'm so cheap, sony don't know who they f*cking with.

21. Nani’s avatar

:arrow:

:idea: Coz Shield runs on Android it allows easy hacking.
    Alternatively we have a ton of free :P games.
    It also streams the games :D from your computer.

Am greatly disappointed for getting Vita. :cry:
    :!: Waiting 8O for Shields Release. :)

Hope good days for :lol: “FREEDOM GAMING” is Soon !!! :roll:

1. pirate city’s avatar

‘Coz Shield runs on Android it allows easy hacking.’ <– suspect pirate…?

'Am greatly disappointed for getting Vita.' <– disappointed pirate…?

'Hope good days for :lol: “FREEDOM GAMING” is Soon !!!' <– pirate alert.

pirate city bi*ch, pirate pirate city b*tch
      10, 10, 10, 20 dollars? that's silly bi*ch
      100 dollars in my hand?
      yea fu*k this.
      I'm so cheap, sony don't know who they f*cking with.

22. Sotona’s avatar

Please GOD let them stream PS3 gaems on PSVita

23. carlos’s avatar

Hey everyone start buying stocks now! this will be huge!!(

24. Spanking’s avatar

I was so excited about the Live Steam on this night and the design was not introduced. Until the sale, it must be well maintained somehow exciting.

25. Michael Browns’s avatar

Does anyone know whether PS4 will use a different game format? I currently use GameBackupSystem to backup PS3 games and it works fine. I have heard some rumors that they will support PS4 once it comes out officially.