Rumors of 4G Vita, FW update, and price cut. Patent shows “Next Gen” Vita design

A new Sony patent filed shows what could be a new model of the PlayStation Vita. Along with that sources are claiming that the new vita will be 4G and launch along side price cuts for memory cards.

On February 7th, 2013 the US Patent and Trademark Offices published a patent from Sony showing what looks to be a new PlayStation Vita model. Sony’s patent was filed in the US under serial number 55977. The new PlayStation Vita design shown in FIG 2 below supports a completely resigned bottom with new ports and readjusted placements. Sony states that the patent is for mainly a port redesign for the “Next PlayStation Vita”.

The application shows specifically that the next generation Vita will incorporate an all new USB port, HDMI and power supply connector which is described as a parallel-pipped connector. Whats important to note however is some of its inherent similarities to the Dev Kit Vita that we’ve seen before.

2. A new Sony Patent Filing Exposes New Ports for new PS Vita

As we get closer to the February 20th announcements from Sony about the “Future of PlayStation” other sources are saying that the new Vita model could be announced then and include a new fully fledged Vita OFW update and memory card price cuts. Close sources to Gamerxchange are reporting that:

• A new 4G model of the PlayStation Vita will be replacing the 3G model sometime this year. According to the source, this will be the so-called “price drop” that has been rumored for the Vita as the new model will retain the $299 price point for an upgraded system.
  • The Wi-Fi version will still be available on the market for $249
  • To go along with the 4G model, a significant firmware update will go live bringing in a lot of requested features including new ways to organize apps in folders.
  • The new model may be unveiled along with the rumored PS4 this month at PlayStation’s February 20th event or at E3, but will not hit the market until later in the year.
  • A price cut on memory cards will be made. No details on prices.

According to their source, no other hardware changes will be made to the Vita and all other specs and features will remain the same for the time being. Of course this is all speculation and rumor besides the patent, so we wont find out if its real until later in Feb or at E3 but it seems like a completely plausible scenario. Giving the Vita 4G capabilities would help hold its position in the current market with other devices where 4G and LTE has become the standard. Price cuts on memory would also help the Vita immensly with its current overpriced, small storage and proprietary memory.

Just like the PSP and any device released thus far, hardware revisions are bound to happen, its only a matter of time before we see a new iteration of the Vita but could it be at the Future of PlayStation meeting on Feb 20th? What would you like to see in the next Vita model? Let me know in the comments what you think!

Sources: Patent Bolt|GamerXchange

1. Word’s avatar

I hope its not the new gen because they don’t even have accessories for the accessory port yet.

1. Thrawn’s avatar

Yeah, didn’t even know till a few days ago, that the vita has something like an accessory port XD

2. Reboot’s avatar

I seriously hope that 3G Models will get some exchange in for 4G… because that is some BULL SHIT.

1. Withy14’s avatar

I sure hope so. If they release this 4G they should as well release some “docking” station for the accessory port which would include USB and HDMI at least (not sure about that parallel pipe though).

2. Withy14’s avatar

Just kiding – they released the PS Vita TV which is according my opinion pointless. Well for the price it seems good however you can play only selected games on this console (if you will be able to play all of them) than it might be worth buying.

3. jake’s avatar

Poor sony….They’ve fallen down and can’t get up….

1. Dmaskell92’s avatar

Their in a similar situation like your mother was last night.

1. Diablo050189’s avatar

hahahahaha! BURN!

4. Mark’s avatar

Is it really that that they will be announcing? :( bummer I was hoping for a Gaikai announcement. They need cloud gaming on the Vita to make it a big game changer and the 4g model that might be coming out better be the solution to cloud gaming for Sony. It will bring big bucks for sure. But please allow to not market justto one company like AT&t. Give people options and you will see the money flowing.

5. newrcc’s avatar

all right, dont forget about that: SONY Its business!

vita 2013:”nice! more buttons, new face, more fast!”
    vita 2014:”very nice! six core… new face, batter games!”
    vita 2015:”OMG, 3D screen, new revolutionary buttons, water proof, good!”
    vita 2016:”Unbelievable!!!! dual screen, 40gb cardgames (powerfull graphics), 5 cameras with 20 maga pix!! Ops, i need buy to play new games… goodbye old vitas =/”

LETS “SELL” SONY VITASSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!
    Ops, LET’S “PLAY” SONY VITASSSSS!!!!!! I LOVE IT!!

1. squiggs’s avatar

lol fag don’t you know 40gb is imposible with flash memory. just kidding

1. i lol’s avatar

No its not stupid fxck, I has a 64gb men card in me phone so suck it. :)

1. newrcc’s avatar

heheheh, we need to dream! Its free! O_O

1. Thrawn’s avatar

Ummm my cr5400 for the psp 3000 is currently holding two 64gB micro sdxc, that sums em up to a total of 128gB, mountable and accessible.
            So the max cap of 32gB for the vita is only due to sony not producing higher values, as they are probably using their factories which made the memory stick micro m2.
            And something for the info, the current proprietary memorycard is much more likely to be ident to a m2 (used in the psp go) than a micro sd.

6. baistosh’s avatar

i hope PSVita will show games in 2013 besides this model, its almost a year now and nothing interesting is coming, hope they will add PS2 games in PSN to purchase!!..

besides introducing HDMI,usb port blahblahbla..

they should incorporate R2 and L2 buttons as well,

1. Alex Atkin’s avatar

None of the changes here break compatibility with the original Vita.

Incorporating L2 and R2 would mean games which aren’t compatible with the original Vita, so I don’t think they would be foolish enough to do it.

Besides that, how on earth would they fit on?

While I would love to have HDMI output on my Vita, the biggest issue I have with mine is the network constantly disconnecting and then not working, and needing a bigger memory card as my 32GB is full and with PSN+ its going to stay that way.

1. Diablo050189’s avatar

I don’t see a problem with L2 and R2 buttons. in fact, I would like L3 and R3 buttons back also. I know u can use the back touch pad as 2 and 3 buttons for ps1 games and stuff but half the time i accidentally touch the back pad while just resting my hands on the vita and accidentally do stuff I’m not trying to(like randomly pulling out weapon in resident evil while trying to run from nemesis which makes u stop in place and get killed)

1. gunblade’s avatar

Lucky if u got grande lunchs jus go out with a bang.

2. Kyu’s avatar

It is the same reasoning with Ninty not including a second analog on 3DS XL (except that Ninty has also provided a way to implement a second analog to normal 3DS).Now,L3 and R3 implementations would indeed break the game compatibility completely,as it would be nearly impossible to implement this in older models.

1. Kyu’s avatar

Do note that if the 3DS XL did came with dual analog support,I would buy that instead of a Vita xd

1. Josuke’s avatar

Thank God. I would be pissed that I am stuck wit an inferior model that is lacking the HDMI port.

I am also hoping Sony do something for people that recently bought at full price, maybe free downloadable content like what Nintendo did for the Ambassador Program.

1. gunblade’s avatar

Shit i got the officail bundle nd i still did get my free game got an eight gig card but heard u needed memory card to play most of the vita games the vita anyways.Think i ened up getting a copy of little devients anyways.

2. Theredbaron’s avatar

I was thinking something like that. I couldn’t see why they would be so nice as to throw in a “real” USB for use stupid users. Only Devs are cool enough for that.

3. karamo2482’s avatar

OMG i was just about to flip out i just got mine and there is no way i can be thinking about a new model already. I’m from JA and the vita cost $33,000 here so i would be saying damn i bought one that can’t do this and can’t do that so thanks for the heads up

7. Rettomus’s avatar

Sony, just add a PSP-game support and I’ll buy your Vita then~

1. KuroRyuu913’s avatar

u mean UMD reading? that would be nice.

8. squiggs’s avatar

about time that they allow folders on the vita i am out of spaces on my vita and i am afraid of what happens if i install something else

9. Pirate Cat’s avatar

This would be rage inducing, but I like to think that most of the other comments are right and this is just a dev unit.

10. The Kick’s avatar

Let me guess…If this is a new model, it will take different memory cards. After they forced people to buy their overpriced cards! Douchebags! The vita is the worst console i’ve ever purchased because it CAN be good. Sony is just stupid. Im going back to my Gameboy Color, lol.

1. JC3Fresh’s avatar

who said anything about a new memory card? he just mentions that there will be a price cut which is for the memory cards it already has

11. TheTokBokz’s avatar

Well one things for sure, the PS4 wont be called PS4 due to the number 4 being seen as bad luck in japan (or something like that)

1. stOneskull’s avatar

nah.. i think they will totally ignore the superstition.. it makes much more sense to just call it PS4.. and there will be a few games ending in 4 for launch.. like Uncharted 4 and Killzone 4

12. mangbhoy’s avatar

If the “next gen PS Vita” has
    - longer battery life
    - louder speaker volume
    - retain its shape
    - retain its current weight (or at least +/- 8%)

I don’t care about the micro (or is it mini like the PS3?) usb port
    I don’t care about the HDMI port
    It does look like a Dev kit Vita

I bet my ass that they’re gonna price this one higher than the current 3G model (if it is indeed a “next gen Vita”)
    This 4G model won’t sell because 4G implementation in the majority of the world is shit (even so in at least the next two years). But I guess they’ve designed this with the Japanese market in mind (Japanese mobile services ftw!)

1. stOneskull’s avatar

i think an HDMI port would be very nice to have.. although i wouldn’t buy a new model just for that.. hopefully the expansion port can be multi-use later on

13. Noquarter’s avatar

Damnit! I wanna like the vita…but…It’s ugly, too big, buttons are too small for my tekken needs and NO TEKKEN!!!!!!!!Make the buttons bigger, look more like the psp slim, add external controller capability and I’m sold. No Tekken, no vita for me I’m afraid!

1. StepS’s avatar

there IS tekken, both a psp game and a Vita game (sort of)…

14. josh’s avatar

I hope they make an update that will let you play all psn games, like gotham city imposters, dungeon defenders, etc.
    They also just need to make an hdmi cable that plugs into the accessory port, and an update to let you play video out.
    Finally they need skylanders for the vita. the portal can also plug into the accessory port if needed.

15. mer2329’s avatar

i would like to see:
    - dual memory card support (like the the photofast for the PSP but on board)
    - HDMI on the top of the unit (due to the way cords are made)
    - no special system flag to play games on the TV (like the remote play flag in the sfo files for the PS3 games ) [guarantees complete game library support]
    - any accessory that actually uses the accessory port on top of the system (its currently a waste of space) (diagrammed as port 1 [not visible])

16. HerperOfManyDerps’s avatar

Wait, lol isn’t that just what the psv dev kits are ’cause it looks exactly the same..

17. faezbarca’s avatar

Lol…My money gone like hell bcoz i bought vita3g…And now sony announce 4g version….lol2.. If sony make price cut to memcard or vita,I hope they give free game or apps to earlier buyer lol.. I buy 32gb memcard at insane prize…CMON $ony..!!!

18. Danny’s avatar

I’m buying this, and I’m a day 1 PS Vita buyer. :}

19. bob’s avatar

sony, just give me a slim nexus 7 size and resolution tablet with memory card / or mini bluray and built in ps4 controller with ps4 interface, I know you guys can work with amd gpu and Samsung for the 8 core micro cpu, I know u guys can do this, I believe in u guys :)

20. bob’s avatar

better yet just get a custom micro 8 core cpu from intel and just port the ps4 into a brand new portable that will work with project Morpheus, please make a lot of us happy, the ps vita is a joke for hard core gamers, you guys could make this totally different from the ps vita and just make this a ps4 portable :) , also if you use a slightly bigger size portable you can easily fit a full size bluray.

21. Thaelos’s avatar

I’d just be happy if they made sure to fix the blo0dy button stuff ups. I’ve only just bought my standard edition vita. And already it won’t play games like it should. It’s fine on the home screen and stuff like that. But, as soon as a game loads up. Say goodbye to using all, but the Power, volume and PS button.

I’ve trawled the internet for a while now… There’s like. A whole three phukn options. 1) reset, format, reboot, rebuild the libraries. And hope to hell it fixed that shiddy problem.

2) pull the back cover off. and go phuk Rsing around under the hood.

Or

3) go pay $ONY to p1ss fart around with your console for phuk knows how long. and pay nearly the cost of a new unit in the process.

It’s bullsh!t. If they just tested the crap out of the console first. Us users wouldnt have to suffer the greased mollasses help and support. Or find our system’s gone and set itself on fire. thanks to some cheap skate decision localised around the chargers.

· 1 · 2 · 3