Rumors of 4G Vita, FW update, and price cut. Patent shows “Next Gen” Vita design

A new Sony patent filed shows what could be a new model of the PlayStation Vita. Along with that sources are claiming that the new vita will be 4G and launch along side price cuts for memory cards.

On February 7th, 2013 the US Patent and Trademark Offices published a patent from Sony showing what looks to be a new PlayStation Vita model. Sony’s patent was filed in the US under serial number 55977. The new PlayStation Vita design shown in FIG 2 below supports a completely resigned bottom with new ports and readjusted placements. Sony states that the patent is for mainly a port redesign for the “Next PlayStation Vita”.

The application shows specifically that the next generation Vita will incorporate an all new USB port, HDMI and power supply connector which is described as a parallel-pipped connector. Whats important to note however is some of its inherent similarities to the Dev Kit Vita that we’ve seen before.

2. A new Sony Patent Filing Exposes New Ports for new PS Vita

As we get closer to the February 20th announcements from Sony about the “Future of PlayStation” other sources are saying that the new Vita model could be announced then and include a new fully fledged Vita OFW update and memory card price cuts. Close sources to Gamerxchange are reporting that:

• A new 4G model of the PlayStation Vita will be replacing the 3G model sometime this year. According to the source, this will be the so-called “price drop” that has been rumored for the Vita as the new model will retain the $299 price point for an upgraded system.
  • The Wi-Fi version will still be available on the market for $249
  • To go along with the 4G model, a significant firmware update will go live bringing in a lot of requested features including new ways to organize apps in folders.
  • The new model may be unveiled along with the rumored PS4 this month at PlayStation’s February 20th event or at E3, but will not hit the market until later in the year.
  • A price cut on memory cards will be made. No details on prices.

According to their source, no other hardware changes will be made to the Vita and all other specs and features will remain the same for the time being. Of course this is all speculation and rumor besides the patent, so we wont find out if its real until later in Feb or at E3 but it seems like a completely plausible scenario. Giving the Vita 4G capabilities would help hold its position in the current market with other devices where 4G and LTE has become the standard. Price cuts on memory would also help the Vita immensly with its current overpriced, small storage and proprietary memory.

Just like the PSP and any device released thus far, hardware revisions are bound to happen, its only a matter of time before we see a new iteration of the Vita but could it be at the Future of PlayStation meeting on Feb 20th? What would you like to see in the next Vita model? Let me know in the comments what you think!

Sources: Patent Bolt|GamerXchange

1. wartaf’s avatar

nice, but maybe they should make also an accessory cable for HDMI so the older vita version can also use HDMI

1. dustin’s avatar

Not technically possible. Vita has no video output capability currently, so there is nothing to conect an adapter to.

1. Kyu’s avatar

Well,there is still that accesory slot…

2. gunblade’s avatar

64gb cards fills fast think on the psp on that still had ten gigs for music videos n picture camera storage on the vita for recoringvideos on the vita wasent that great 30 minute videos took up sum space on a eight gig card .vita games can could hold eight gigs to sixteen or sumthing i guess but most was at four and two assassins creed and uncharted took up sum space

3. j.g.k’s avatar

More games. PS vita was a huge disappointment. I really regret buying it.

1. Almost nothing good in PS vita games catergory.

2. 2-3 games which are good are very expensive. I mean, C’mon! they have the same price as PS3!!! WTF is wrong with Sony.

3. Memory cards are also very expensive.
    ————–

Now = Cover + Memory card + 2-3 vita games = same price as the orginal ps vita.

I would like to see it different in future console.

1. Mart’s avatar

I really don’t see how PSVita is a disappointment in the games category, it certainly is better than the 3DS with the constant Mario/Zelda/Kirby rehash…

If I look at Metacritic and the list of reviewed games, PSVita looks better. Sure, some games might not be your kind of genre.

The prices of games, agreed. A handheld game shouldn’t be more than 30 to 40 bucks. AND the PSN digital store ones should cost around 20 to 30 bucks because there are no costs made for production of the cards, cases, shipment costs, no storage costs and no profit for wholesale and retaileshops either.

1. HIMFan’s avatar

I unfortunately thought that I’d like my Vita more than my 3DS, but the Vita is rather disappointing. I’m holding out though for the eCFW TN-V. That will be my saving grace that I can just use it as a PSP with a big screen. Because the Vita really is lacking games. At least I have rehashes to play on my 3DS.

2. Edzo’s avatar

im with you. i like the vitas lineup of games a lot more than 3ds. my 3ds hasnt been used in months and my vita gets used every day

3. ???’s avatar

Ummm…what? There’s been 2 Mario games, a remake of OT, and no Kirby games for the 3DS. I love how you ignore games like Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance, Kid Icarus Uprising, Fire Emblem Awakening etc etc. lol, “constant rehashes”. I guess if they made made another Little Big Planet for the Vita, it’ll have constant rehashes of LBP/Killzone/God of War, right?

2. Yes’s avatar

Out of curiousity, in which country do you live where the Vita games cost the same as the PS3 games?

1. Msnk8’s avatar

dude i live in india and sony js acting like a bitch here
        the price for nfs most wanted for ps3 is 2599 and for vita is 2799
        vita games are costlier thanps3 games man.. i realy want that game .
        bt i cant its to expensive for a handheld console,

1. Yes’s avatar

Pity that the Vita games are more expencive than the PS3 games there :\ Where i live in Europe, i havnt seen a Vita game being more expencive than a new PS3 game.

3. bob’s avatar

1. No good games? Gravity Rush, Uncharted, Assassins Creed:L, Ragnarok Odyssey, Persona 4, MGS HD, LBPV, Super Stardust Delta, NFS, Dokuro, and the list goes on…

2. same price as ps3? really? PS3 games are around $60 while Vita games are around $40

3. yeah it is

1 and 2 tells me that you are lying and do not own a vita and is just trolling.

1. HIMFan’s avatar

Gravity Rush is impossible to play, Uncharted is shorter than 3, I hate Assassin’s Creed, Ragnarok Odyssey got boring real quick, Persona 4 is good, MGS HD is missing a game and not technically HD, LBPV is the same as the other ones, Super Stardust Delta is good but I can’t get the effin DLC to work, NFS I beat on my PS3, and idk wtf Dokuro is. So out of the list I only enjoyed MAYBE 3 of those games. Something needs to happen, and quick, dropping $10 off the price would be better too.

1. HIMFan’s avatar

I want Ni No Kuni on the Vita, along with THPS HD. If I had those 2 games on the go, I’d never complain again.

2. Mr.Demon’s avatar

Gravity Rush unplayable and Golden Abyss shorter than Drake’s Deception?! You’re LYING absolutelly!

3. GODDUKEMONEXA’s avatar

for your information i have PLATINUM TROPHY for GRAVITY RUSH also PERSONA 4 THE GOLDEN is not good, IS GOD! BEST GAME EVER!

4. Yukon’s avatar

In order for me to get this, they have to bring GTA san andreas too it.

5. E’s avatar

I am so tired of ppl complaining about the Vita. it is a Monster of a device. Yes, we all acknowledge that at RELEASE it did not have many games but now there are plenty of really great games to choose from (sadly those of us in the U.S have still not seen the even bigger list of games they have in Japan). Yes, it needs more but give it time. As more and more [major] developers see the success of the vita and its games more will come. Also, new Vita games are about $20 cheaper than new PS3 games so not really sure what u were talking about there. The major gripes i would say that i do have with Sony (not the Vita) is the INSANELY expensive [proprietary] memory cards. Hopefully this price cut will be significant enough that we broke college students can actually afford to get a higher memory card (like a 32gb), because 4 and 8 gigs is like NOTHING lol.

4. gunblade’s avatar

Front Camera got moved. gamecard port same . Think but not sure theres no (acesery port) or did that get moved. Does it have the system lights like the dev model sum how that still makes me want a dev kit. psp go had internal storage and it needed a camera.3D camera on the psp was a must but nintendo pushed after the lite n the dsi models n touch screen now days the inthing fire emblem think iam getthing a 3ds xl was still 199 last i cheack but since the new hdmi model not due two sum months think i got enought to get it wen it does come out saying its around two fifty or tree bills but tree bill would have to probly hoping be a bundle much like the first vita realse

5. Kyu’s avatar

Sony y u no make use of the upper port of the current Vita model

This was a d1(k move,giving us older model owners the middle finger…I want this hacked more than ever now :@

6. psVitovic’s avatar

on the pictures you can clearly see that the device on the design is the DEVKIT that stfu already has… so it’s not the consumer version or anything, but the story about the new version of psVita is still real… like all sony playstation products, there will be PSVita Fat and PSVita Slim…

7. playstation’s avatar

Ps vita is a worth of 250$ we pay for a great quality console which has got so much horse power, same Online functionality like PS3 even more, High end smartphone browsing, Social network, Entertainment with Audio and video. Its still in early stages with just one year and already lots of Good games are there but don’t have wide options for every kind of gamer, however the future looks so much better by seeing the games like Soul sacrifice, Killzone, Tearaway, PS3 ports quality etc., in a OLED portable screen on the go. The memory card prices are higher which will come down from 20th announcement. The people who regret buying vita are just stupid as they don’t see its technical value and the future it holds with PS3 and PS4 along with Gaikai streaming.

8. Vicked’s avatar

Its only the Dev.kit PS Vita nothing else… -____-’

1. Mr.Demon’s avatar

Then Why SONY would patent that design now? and name it next gen PSVita?

9. Yes’s avatar

I hope for Sony’s sake that 4G isnt more expencive than 3G regarding production costs. Otherwise i see no big need for them to produce a 4G model. 4G still has too high ping for online play as far as i know.

I’m hoping to see a 64GB card that is priced at max $100. Then i will buy it :)

10. playstation’s avatar

Even more we have PS+ service which is providing games to play at least 30 games per year for a charge of 49$ for the people who can’t afford to buy many games and also they are giving some free games for PS Mobile and Minis recently along with Some Great discounts on the games with many offers which is not there in any other place than Playstation. I say Ps+ and Vita is a worth more than what we pay. Plz i request everyone to consider quality over quantity becoz playing a great game is equivalent to worth of 10 games of mediocore.

11. StanSmith’s avatar

That pic looks just like a Dev console. I highly doubt you will see the Vita with a USB port. It’ll be too easy to hack of that happened. They want to keep it unhackable as long as possible and giving it a USB port wont do that so I doubt it’ll come to the retail version.

12. Nani’s avatar

A increase in RAM size wud be better , wen ever i open a game and skype it says to close the other. Mobile phones offer more RAM than vita does.

Might be Vita is running fast coz of VRAM and Graphic Chip Installed.

Whatever, New Vita in market is Heart breaking for those who counted pennies earned n bought the present one .

1. playstation’s avatar

And 250$ is heart breaking but buying High end mobiles every year by many people is a good decision. We buy Vita only once for using upto 5 Years and also have PS+ serive which provides services for budget people with free games at 49$ per year and also a change to get the games at Great discount. What else you need?

13. playstation’s avatar

@Nani, does mobiles phone offer the Core gaming which you get on PS vita and also OLED Screen for this Price tag of 250$ with Quad Core Processor and GPU? Does Mobile Phone allows you to Play PSP Games and also PS3 Game Ports. VIta is meant to be Portable Gaming Console at first proving extra features like High End Phone provides except Multi Tasking but it will be improved sooner just like Update 2.0 did by allowing us to use Browser while Playing Games. Don’t compare High End Mobiles which cost More than 300$ and also wont provide future proof for the software support whereas Vita does for at least 5 years and sony will continue it to 7-10 Years to life time.

14. Michael Jackson’s avatar

All PS VITA games today are Suck!!! Only NBA2K13 can make the VITA Useful

1. playstation’s avatar

May be you are not a Playstation gamer at all. You can enjoy those PSX, PSP, PS3 and Vita Games in a OLED Screen. Its going to pump great games in this year and also for the next 5 years for a product of worth 250$.

15. zakaiya’s avatar

Didn’t they already have this on the dev vita’s you showed a few months back, with a black matte finish?

16. oO Flowzila Oo’s avatar

The original Vita is failing… Why make new one?

1. gunblade’s avatar

Compething wit nintendo 3ds

1. Kyu’s avatar

So they need 3 models to compete vs Ninty?

17. max’s avatar

yah a new way to spent a mony for unhackable console & a hi price games to us. i am a OFW here on saudi and many of us wanting to see the hacked version of vita, some of us are disappointed some are enjoyed some liking to trow the vita on a garbage bag & you can’t just transfer any video music on this console w/out internet by the way thanks to our open CMA developer for giving us this wonderful open CMA.

18. Rusty_Train’s avatar

id buy it, out right as well, keep my wifi vita for homebrew

19. gunblade’s avatar

Six months no psn on the vita funny hoz that one

20. gunblade’s avatar

Werd the thing i see would have been nice if the vita had dual game port slots with eject power down egect but internal drive would do but i planed to buy aloot game cardtriges for the vita but powering down the unit before taking out the game was a thing for mobile atleast from gameboy colar

21. Stranno’s avatar

TV output … here we go.

22. kuagelo’s avatar

The only thing I want in my Vita right now is the ability to access different PS Store regions without reformatting (EXACTLY like how the PS3 does it) the system nor the card. Not interested in new hardware, thank you very much.

1. kuagelo’s avatar

…Then Sony goes “Oh, the new Vita could do that.”

23. StepS’s avatar

I honestly think this is false. Patent Bolt probably have no clue at all about DevKit models, and now they’re shouting about a patent they aren’t even sure about.
    Wow.

24. YcO96Ps’s avatar

lets see…
    what would be nice on a new Vita model?
    -Better start/select buttons
    -better cameras (0.3MPX is REDICULOUS)
    -Tv out
    -better front camera placement
    -removable battery
    -And have the system buttons under the screen like the PSP had
    And thats just from the top of my head ;)

25. NoOne’s avatar

I want better analogs in the new model because my left analog is getting loose.

26. DQEight’s avatar

I’m going to rage so hard if the next vita gets an hdmi out port and they dont make an adapter for the first one. Especially after dropping money on my vita. It happened to me with the PSP Phat too, just got one and BAM slim version with tv out.

27. mexi’s avatar

I took my ps vita back to best buy after about a month of owning it. I dumped 120 dollars into psn cards and purchased what I thought was every good psv game. I am disappointed with all the released games as well as what’s on the horizon. Sony has disappointed me with the software and games for this console. I even purchased ps+ and didn’t even care to wait for it to expire, that’s how much this console means to me.
    I bought it mainly because it was a beast. 1 gb ram, quad core processor, 5 inch screen, etc. But I just purchased the new Optimus g and it out matches the vita, it’s .3 inches smaller (screen) but it has a much higher pixel density and looks outstanding. It has a 1.5 ghz quad core processor, 2 gb ram, and runs android which can’t even be compared with the vitas os. The vita in my opinion is just getting trampled and bound to for failure as its already becoming outdated.

28. gregdaleg’s avatar

if i traded in my 3G psvita at gamestop so i can upgrade to the new WIFI model what would be the price difference due to me downgrading from cellular to wifi like $100?

29. ironchefion’s avatar

i will pick this up if true

30. otropom’s avatar

its very disapointing….already a new ps vita project but still an enormous lack of games !! personnally i’m borred of this and this is a good reason for me to sell my vita before it will cost almost nothing

31. Jim Lahey’s avatar

OMG EVERYONE IS SO STUPID!!!! THAT IS NOT A NEW VITA!! THAT IS THE FREAKING DEV KIT YOU MORONS!!!!

1. Jd8531’s avatar

What’s important to note is the patent Is for what’s highlighted in yellow. It seems like their patenting the port design that they have on the dev models for the next version retail vita.

1. Jd8531’s avatar

They’re*

2. >_>’s avatar

omg turn your damn caps lock off. >_>’

3. i lol’s avatar

Hey fucking idiot, the dev kit is similar to that patent, but has it ever occurred to you that NEXT GENERATION vita will have the same specs as the dev kit!!!! Duurrrrrrrr!!!! :p

32. xyzmanas’s avatar

owner of both vita and 3ds, and I can proudly say that every penny i spent on vita is worth more than the 3ds which just sits on the table… I have around 10+ games for 3ds but none of them makes me go kaboom….the 3d feature just gets old after a month and u rather want to play with the 3d off… Seriously what did nintendo think while making the scree. the resolution is absolutelty shit and have seen 3ds screen seliing for $7 on chinese websites…..thats what is the quality of the scree. but I still keep it for the purpose of playing DS game on flashkarts and that is all…

PS: PS+ owns nintendo…..I rarely find myself using nintendo store that is just overprices games.

33. daniel’s avatar

i just sold the psvita dev. to my brother, cuz i couldn`t hack it before (i will help him to hack) because the point is, that i can`t handle a console that just run so good my PSPgames bought from store, like 4-5 good but EXPENSIVE vita games, and if we talk about the lack of emulators, apps, homebrews, its like “damn we got a nuclear missil, but our radar just not work” so, all about sony vita is about complaints of custommers, and the waiting for many, many games as the psp as sony promised us…

i believe that, someday i will play the PS2,PS1,PSP classics and a bunch of emus and apps on a versatile really NGP console, but we still waiting for it

1. Hasselhoof’s avatar

I want everything, and right now too. Is there really not enough content out there for you? Seems crazy with new games coming out all the time.

34. Hasselhoof’s avatar

I absolutely love my VITA and at my job I constantly get stuck out of the office without anything to do but sit in my car for 20-25 minutes waiting on my next client meeting. I am having so much fun getting to play some great games.

I highly recommend one, and honestly the price point is what it costs for great technology.

And the memory cards are so high to incentivize retailers to actually carry a device that features digital content. The memory cards are more than 50% retailer profits, I researched it back before the Vita came out. Because I couldn’t understand the high price.

All-in-all it’s a great device with a lot of potential for the future. Hopefully, more people keep trying it and we can continue to build a community for developers to be enticed by

I love what I’ve got and I’m excited for 7 games coming out in the next months. Versus 8 games I’ll get on my PS3. Halo DLC on my Xbox, and Starcraft: Heart of the Swarm for my PC.

Great Games Galore !!!

35. John_Scott’s avatar

looks exactly like the dev vita :P

36. daniel’s avatar

enjoy some comments

37. makak1984’s avatar

It is almost like DEV unit, $ony lost their mind on this, why release new model? They are morons that We will buy new unit only for HDMI -> I have my Xbox 360 now as my normal console. Also I am pissed off about still no support for damn PSM in my country. On Vita we have only few good tittles and also lot of good but huge overpriced games – so I am stick on “Uno-Xploit” because i think I will be on my dreaming when the $ony turns for gamers not for cash.

38. XPGXatoku’s avatar

LOL Watch these be completely hackable like the PSP 1000 was. That would just piss us all off…

39. vextype-0’s avatar

it has not even been out that long….dame i got a bad feeling about fabruary 20th

40. silkyskeeter’s avatar

This is not good news at all. Basically, if these rumors are true, Sony will completely turn their backs on the early adapters. Because if there is ANY hardware change that means that the future games may cater to those hardware changes, leaving everyone that doesnt get the new model out in the cold with no games to play. But IDK how much I believe of this rumor as the “so called” new model closely resembles the dev model. And as far as the 4G rumor, who really cares. Most ppl that bought a Vita have the Wifi only model, as there is very little apps that even warrant you having the 3G for. (sadly I was dumb and got the 3G model and used the service for a month to test it out and to get a free game but barely used it so I never renewed) But I very seriously doubt that will happen, as the Vita is a failure to begin with. I very seriously doubt Sony is stupid enough to alienate their, small as it is, install base. But Sony has proved me wrong before… so we’ll see.

41. GlueGun’s avatar

unless sony sells with a dev kit included
    then people will stop competeing about high prices.
    first comes 4GB oh okay now i see a 8 WOW price FUCKEN DIFRANTS!.

42. GlueGun’s avatar

complaining*

43. Miguel Angel’s avatar

ami lo que en verdad me preocupa es el espacio en la memoria… de que sirve ahorrar para una de 32 GB si no la venden en mi pais, y la de 16 que tengo se a llenado de muy rapido… me gustaria una nueva generacion de consolas con memoria incluida , no importa que nos la vendan carisimas…. Que ariamos si Microsof nos vendiera sus PC sin disco duro. es lo que sony hace de nosotros con la vita….

44. Voltrom’s avatar

Sony isn’t going to produce a new unit. You guys are being stupid this is obviously a dev unit. Although Sony is retarded they should have implemented 4G on the first Vita. Honestly I would have paid that $50 more if it was 4G LTE and not shitty useless 3G. Why even get 3G? I have a 4G LTE mobile hotspot so my vita is faster than any of yours guys with 4G speeds and a better rate plan. Plus I can use all of my vitas capabilities. Fucking retarded. Honestly if the memory sticks have a price drop I can finally upgrade my shitty 4GB and do something with the vita. I’m sure the ps4 will be announced or a new store or some shit like that. A new vita? No that’s stupid and unpractical. How about new games. Feb 20th won’t be a new vita. If so I just bought this vita and wasted my fucking money. I will take it back as I have the box and the receipt still. This is a dev unit obv. We will find out in 8 days what’s going on. I expect a OFW update. With features that should have been day one on the vita. Fucking idiot Sony.

1. Negrodamus’s avatar

Wow, how stupid of us to think it’s a next generation Vita, just because the patent describes it as a “Next Generation PS Vita” Fukstick

45. ironysteeth’s avatar

If that folder thing goes through, I would love it! I like downloading scanlations of manga, Translations of light novels. IF they put even a txt file reader and let me make folders, I can then use my vita for 99% the work load my psp is used for. And the screen on the vita is so big and bright, It would of course be my platform of choice to read manga and light novels. Stupid that sony even required such simple activities to even need them to be homebrew. I guess they just dont know their audience that well.

· 1 · 2 · 3 ·