Rumors of 4G Vita, FW update, and price cut. Patent shows “Next Gen” Vita design

A new Sony patent filed shows what could be a new model of the PlayStation Vita. Along with that sources are claiming that the new vita will be 4G and launch along side price cuts for memory cards.

On February 7th, 2013 the US Patent and Trademark Offices published a patent from Sony showing what looks to be a new PlayStation Vita model. Sony’s patent was filed in the US under serial number 55977. The new PlayStation Vita design shown in FIG 2 below supports a completely resigned bottom with new ports and readjusted placements. Sony states that the patent is for mainly a port redesign for the “Next PlayStation Vita”.

The application shows specifically that the next generation Vita will incorporate an all new USB port, HDMI and power supply connector which is described as a parallel-pipped connector. Whats important to note however is some of its inherent similarities to the Dev Kit Vita that we’ve seen before.

2. A new Sony Patent Filing Exposes New Ports for new PS Vita

As we get closer to the February 20th announcements from Sony about the “Future of PlayStation” other sources are saying that the new Vita model could be announced then and include a new fully fledged Vita OFW update and memory card price cuts. Close sources to Gamerxchange are reporting that:

• A new 4G model of the PlayStation Vita will be replacing the 3G model sometime this year. According to the source, this will be the so-called “price drop” that has been rumored for the Vita as the new model will retain the $299 price point for an upgraded system.
  • The Wi-Fi version will still be available on the market for $249
  • To go along with the 4G model, a significant firmware update will go live bringing in a lot of requested features including new ways to organize apps in folders.
  • The new model may be unveiled along with the rumored PS4 this month at PlayStation’s February 20th event or at E3, but will not hit the market until later in the year.
  • A price cut on memory cards will be made. No details on prices.

According to their source, no other hardware changes will be made to the Vita and all other specs and features will remain the same for the time being. Of course this is all speculation and rumor besides the patent, so we wont find out if its real until later in Feb or at E3 but it seems like a completely plausible scenario. Giving the Vita 4G capabilities would help hold its position in the current market with other devices where 4G and LTE has become the standard. Price cuts on memory would also help the Vita immensly with its current overpriced, small storage and proprietary memory.

Just like the PSP and any device released thus far, hardware revisions are bound to happen, its only a matter of time before we see a new iteration of the Vita but could it be at the Future of PlayStation meeting on Feb 20th? What would you like to see in the next Vita model? Let me know in the comments what you think!

Sources: Patent Bolt|GamerXchange

1. aimoore’s avatar

rage quit!

2. DJ BROTHERSON’s avatar

Sony must be on dog food

1. daamn’s avatar

They need to fucking redesign the fucking stupid charging port. It’s the most fucking stupid innovation ever.

3. etertay’s avatar

still waiting for the hulu app…

1. GuitaristMatt’s avatar

and the crunchyroll app that was actually officially announced

4. soad26’s avatar

They really need to cut prizes in this stupid men cards. Anyway, the HDMI, new USB port, and the new power socket is soooooo unnecessary. I believe the vita’s mysterious accessory port can be a HDMI, connection for PC, and many more.

1. clicks’s avatar

I for one LOVE the various prizes I get from my Men’s card.

5. Brendan Beckmann’s avatar

I’m not going to lie – if there is a 4G Vita on the horizon with HDMI capability, I’ll trade in my current 3G/Wi-Fi Vita and get a new one.

I really hope they can add something else that’s truly NEW to it, though.

6. compil3r’s avatar

I was just about to buy a unlocked 3g Vita to avoid updating my Wifi one (with Uno exploit), if this 4G update is coming, i’ll gladly wait.

7. GOD_of_LORD’s avatar

Ra-ra-ra-ra-ra-ra-rageeeee QUIT !!!

;) I was about to sell my Wifi Vita to buy the 3G one….

Now I’ll wait.

8. Dan’s avatar

What? Price cut on memory card?
    #$#%$^ I just bought 32G card for $77.
    I should’ve waited.

9. EJ’s avatar

a remake would be fine, but wouldn’t mind a change of power button/volume on top, since that is pretty annoying when I am carrying it and accidently hit it. As for the software change…just release a patch to other Vita owners, I’d love the folders. This better not be the only thing they’re going to reveal Feb. 20th, I’ll definitely rage then, ha ha.

10. empc’s avatar

pinches weyes de SONY , QUE COMAN CACA

11. Jmqm’s avatar

Hopefully they release the new model for WiFi only too? Quite excited for the folders, idek why, and for the HDMI input :D

12. Jmqm’s avatar

Why do I always have bad character pictures :S LMAO

13. Jmqm’s avatar

SEE WHAT I MEAN?! LMAO

14. Jmqm’s avatar

OMFG The characters noticed I was raging :O

15. Jmqm’s avatar

YEP FK THIS

1. >_>’s avatar

smoking? o_O

16. Soldier’s avatar

How much would it really have cost them to have had 4g in the original one? HAHAHA, Sony is a joke!

17. Skars’s avatar

A separated save file from game file would be a good feature.

Just like it was on PSP and PS3, easy to copy, transfer and backup. All fast.

Backup on vita is a pain.

Can’t do a clean install of my games, cuz the save is linked to the game install.

18. kikershadow’s avatar

HDMI ¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¿puerto¡? sony ahora si apesta no comprar una ps4 después de dos años ya que si compras algo de sony cuando sale, las revisiones de hardware son casi un hecho de cada modelo aparezca un modelo slim o super slim, ultraslim.

19. solidsnake’s avatar

Well, what good is new hardware without good software?
    Their are so many devices out there that have much better software and are sold at affordable prices.
    I am going to get one of those nvidia shield dohickeys because it appears to be able to do everything and then some. Being able to stream your BIG pc games to a handheld device sounds like a dream. I will never get out of bed again if I can play a game like skyrim on the shield from my pc to my bed.
    I think the shield will blow all other devices out of the water. Why I havent heard more talk on this subject is strange to me. Or its too good to be true?
    Anyway. Vita needs great Apps and Great Software! This is what makes people crave a device.
    You can have a giant tank, but if its not mobile then you have giant paperwait.

20. mad8vad’s avatar

I see devkit on FIG 2

21. hikarux3’s avatar

that the developerkit on FIG2!

1. GuitaristMatt’s avatar

No the devkit was the same size as our vita but completely black instead of the silver outlines and it had just the hdmi port. This one is extended on the bottom.

1. GuitaristMatt’s avatar

nvm sorry

22. IgnusArmagadan’s avatar

I love my Uno exploit, but I’d give it up for the HDMI port and regular USB connection, lol. I’m sure another exploit would surface later :)

23. gunblade’s avatar

And i was jus going to get me anader vita guess this 3 g staying on 1.81 probly get the new model still need a comercail 3 g though think gamestop got sale then games would be nice ……

24. razor’s avatar

Isn’t that the devkit version ?

1. gunblade’s avatar

Guess was the 2013 test model

25. gunblade’s avatar

Location player? Ps3 2014 nasme us realse ? Oauya got on amazon still got fo that if anything vita memory .sony bluethooth wifi harddrive would be nice.

26. ps3y2kvirus’s avatar

Thanks JD8531 for the awesome article, I wonder what port #59 is and if they are going to put a better flipping camera in, other than that totally upgrading from 3g to 4g. Hopefully att contract will not continue and it will be unlocked.

1. Jd8531’s avatar

No problem :)

27. gunblade’s avatar

So then the ps4 controls have heart rate zombie attck

28. razor’s avatar

From the pic, I don’t think they would add 9 leds on the front panel..only the devkit version had this

29. GlueGun’s avatar

im updateing my first ps vita, (2.02) to 2.05, so you can ask questions.
    i’ll be very specific about whats new, not say they do a shitty job,
    but they already do shitty jobs!
    one things first!.
    1. sony you dont change a damn thing to menu’s.
    2. the update is waste for people with caps. after your monthly useage
    your speed is automaticly set to dial up, thats that magic botton where you see
    eminem in the screen from 1.00 to 2.0 i personally say downgrade is cool ^_^ (no change lol) and pirateing do to that.( the no change from menu’s.)
    3. why not have UNLIMITED CHARECTER? sound nice and last but not least video
    CODED playBACKKKKK.

30. gunblade’s avatar

2012 was rush ordered think they fixed the duel screen thouch response so the hdmi port normal size nice. Better sound card.Graphxichs card?

1. gunblade’s avatar

Ooh i bought the 3g relase date bundle n got a free memory card still didnet activate my free game so i got a camercial 2012 realse still nice . Wish was still on that 1.30 .new product sheems nice so i jus Plug the vita to the ps3 port and its the tv and the controler for the ps3

1. gunblade’s avatar

Hdmi port ps3 to vita is 1800 idp on seven inches nice like nintendo wii u a bit can play ps3 and watch tv

31. gunblade’s avatar

3G discont new model 4g unlocked network maybe hoping us only got atnt but would like to play like the camercial ps3 games

32. gunblade’s avatar

Eight more days or sumthing anything from microsoft on there 2013 industial product realse expo surface was nice

33. ryugi’s avatar

wtf? sony are you fucking kidding we? is the psvita devkit of skfu

34. gunblade’s avatar

Wished by no sumhow portable gaming was more like battle net head set n yugioh 3d grapihcs progecter but the time enery was an isssue sumhow even with solar n wind jus saying

35. EIREXE’s avatar

Isn’t the devkit?

36. gunblade’s avatar

Head phones .hdmi .mini usb and a 6v power port psp with sony ericson kind port phone thing psp go kind thing, ports kind thing for the 2013 offichail realse model does it have the psp go bluthoth think i saw bluthoth with the dev models that mean if i upgrade to new pc i can dev my own vita games then old pc games

1. gunblade’s avatar

New models internal memory? Is tranfering music photos n videos done on its own port if there is a mini usb or how is data storage n tranfer manage heard it was differnt for the dev versions and the port thats on the 2012 models was jus for more mother board
      40pin acces

1. Dmaskell92’s avatar

Why. Just why. Can somebody just kill this kid? Please?

1. fingloi_x3’s avatar

I’ll put his name on the “death note”

37. Guest’s avatar

Can people stop shoving that PSV in everyone’s mouth? It’s a dev kit!

38. gunblade’s avatar

Last i heard i think dev kits was 50,000 and the thing came with two models vitas extra vita replacement units was like think 20,000 i guess think they came in two packs one test model n one that was more for camercial realse withthe game port n one had a large port the the pc unit and one had the ports of the 2013 models i think think ifu payed for the devkits u get more of a develoment plan but i heard they were monthly or anualy plans or sumthing

39. gunblade’s avatar

So the 2013 models is the regaler retail model for thedekkits so it is the devkit version of the vita jus not the developer model its the camerchaIl model. Or sumthing.. Or is it.

40. gunblade’s avatar

So sony not races with a feb 20 thing so they japs or sumthing right on good to no i guess my niggahs r prety coool i think it is black history month or sumthing n bob marley cool though he came from afrika or jahmaka or sumthing wich is hot

41. gunblade’s avatar

Um jus praying fo android and ios sapport or sumthing for bluthooth n mobile gaming network maybe or sumthing skype on the 2013 models .better phone systhem like an actual phone maybe like the galaxy note, cameras, internal storage, internet browser (flash or html) atleast sumtype or online video play n online flash games real realms n that pirate online would be a nice online loud start dont have to be to much of a data load still on 3g or 4g mobile broudband

1. Dmaskell92’s avatar

Fuck you gunblade.

2. Dmaskell92’s avatar

Why. Seriously, can someone just kill this guy?

42. man_of_power05’s avatar

this is where i call bullshit. sony doesn’t care about what its customers want

43. gunblade’s avatar

Sumhow but dont no wy miss my 3g iphone s atleast that thing had unlimited data and everything god figer n network storage all day and yet dont no wy atnt n tmobile could not be atntt-mobile would still name wise not be an issue but the data tranfer n data rate plans atleast in the us would be nice but we do have criket n helo but nation us wise not must an issue but if u think most 4g n 4g or mobile broud band in the us is still not much unlimited data last i cheack but speed was nice i guess still last phone was the iphone not much of android till sumwhat now.

44. gunblade’s avatar

Well i guess atntt-mobile with verrisen 4 g lite light as an international company would ne nice sum how us citizen wize wo do we or the goverment end up taxing or does sumhow that still work for the us or sumthing maybe chArge them electic and bround band bill or commincation taxes i guess would ne nice to get health coverage for all the radio waves around me sumhow. If they fixed the international markets wouldent thet help the inthernation community an help stabilized the econome so if the tree would nation power russia china and the us fix the markets with more international trade and camercial markets buy maybe like. Realy i guess a more internaational trade.? But world wise the ero or eroupe had issue asia was prety good african and the middle east was on it. And north and south amarica was alright think mostly power was the issue of russia china n us mainly nucler was a thing but wind and solar wasent must since coal n water power plants was cheaper n put out more power at the time

45. clicks’s avatar

W-what is this feeling…
    I’m excited about something… from Sony? But this is the Vita!

Certainly the 4G model doesn’t have my heart aflutter, but the idea of renewed support for the system along with much asked for changes and memory card price drops has given me some hope for it’s survival.

46. Currently drinking pepsi’s avatar

Wait, so we with the hdmi port we can now play our ported hd ps2 and ps3 games on our tv/monitor… and they think this will ship units?, 4G LTE yeah, i suspect they might add text message support or phone calls even though it has skype…. still, i already pay for a phone and non of those features are an advantage over the current Vita, which at the moments greatest appeal is playing PSP games, rage.

47. Bob’s avatar

Make the cards cheaper than SD and make the Vita not so buttfuckingly huge and ugly and I’ll bite.

48. Leires’s avatar

Ugh..What annoys me most about the HDMI upgrade is that there’s not going to be any ‘trade in your old vita and get the new one with an HDMI 80% off’..My vita is in good condition, hell, near perfect. The only things that are going to have anything close to this is stupid places like gamestop with their TRADE IN A VITA GET 50$ TOWARDS THE NEW ONE. ugh. I just want HDMI out. I’ve wanted that so damn badly. I’d give up the uno exploit for it. But i don’t want to pay another 200$ -just- for an HDMI port. ._.

1 · 2 · 3 ·