Killzone: Mercenary Vita Release Date & New Gameplay

The biggest Vita game announced for this year so far has finally got a release date and a new game-play video to go along with it; it looks stunning.

Ever since the announcement of Killzone Mercenary awhile back at Gamescom, excitement has built for what could be the first AAA first person shooter that defines the PlayStation Vita as “Console quality on the go”. It looks like it will be more than just that. The next vita exclusive installment of the Killzone franchise finally got a release date along with some new details and an absolutely beautiful gameplay trailer.

Sony just announced that Killzone: Mercenary will hit the PlayStation Vita September 17th. Over at the PlayStation Blog, Guerrilla Games producer Poria Torkan revealed all the details:

“Killzone: Mercenary is a new first-person shooter in the Killzone series, developed specifically for the PlayStation Vita platform and powered by the stunning Killzone engine. Starting just after the ending of the original Killzone, and revisiting many of the events from the Killzone trilogy, the game puts players in the rugged combat boots of a mercenary named Arran Danner. Danner is a former UCA-soldier who has no qualms about taking on paid contracts from the ISA as well as the Helghast.”

He goes on to say that the game is comprised of nine single-player missions, with each mission lasting nearly an hour in length for a total around 9 hours. Completed missions unlock additional replay challenges, with a host of special objectives to accomplish. The game also has a full-fledged multiplayer mode with six maps for eight players and three different game types, including the popular Warzone mode.

Torkan said that the game’s campaign involves “when a seemingly routine mission to evacuate the Vektan Ambassador and his family in Pyrrhus goes awry, Danner discovers that the outcome of the war could very well depend on the fate of the Ambassador’s young son. With both sides going to increasingly desperate lengths to get hold of the boy, he begins to wonder whether the price of victory is really worth the paycheck.”

It’s nice to hear that Killzone will contain a full fledged campaign rather than short levels like we saw with Declassified. The description alone sounds incredible, but the trailer is something else. The graphics are top notch pushing the Vita’s capabilities and the gameplay looks solid; whats more exciting is that it’ll be improved from now until its September 17th release date. Could this be the first big Vita blockbuster FPS that lives up to the expectations? We’ll find out in September but for now check out the trailer below and let me know what you think in the comments below!

1. Pa3ck’s avatar

The reason that I will not longer sell my PS Vita! :)

2. Dutt’s avatar

Looks good.

3. Tonakai’s avatar

The game does look fantastic. I just really hope it doesn’t have gameplay similar to that of the previous two FPS games on the Vita.

1. gunblade’s avatar

ressitence the story line was way to short

1. nero’s avatar

but it was a good game, just not for online play since no one was ever on it

4. natsu’s avatar

I…am…sold…

Will update my vita when i get a copy. Lol.. Psp backups and some ac3 for now

1. lolol’s avatar

same, this and PSO2 will make me to update to the latest ofw.

5. elbarto’s avatar

More info/footage/interview w/ Guerrilla
    here

1. SIM sk’s avatar

thanks man :)

6. Someone Else’s avatar

Assassin’s Creed 3: Liberation already gives you “Console quality graphics on the go”. Granted, this looks even better, but AC3 is definitely console quality.

1. gunblade’s avatar

yea assassins creed liberation was pretty goood

7. crinacle’s avatar

Is it just me, or does the gameplay seem to run below 30FPS? That’ll be a killer to me if that’s the case…

1. Someone Else’s avatar

Considering these graphics on a current-gen handheld, I’d be surprised if you’re wrong. However a sub-par frame-rate is a small price to pay for such eye candy in portable form.

2. Yes’s avatar

If it is, it doesnt look like much under 30fps in my opinion. But the game is still about 8 months away, so there is much work left to be done on the game :)

8. firelinker’s avatar

Great to see a popular franchise come to this console. But i couldnt care less about shooters.

9. klowned’s avatar

ha it’s the same studio that made crap of duty Declassified

too bad i saw a tousand of lag and unplayable online gameplay and it will be a golden poop

1. Yes’s avatar

No, Call of Duty: Declassified was made by Nihilistic Software. Killzone: Mercenary is made by Sony Cambridge. Two different studios.

2. Someone Else’s avatar

I don’t think that’s true. I saw an article on eurogamer that says Sony Cambridge is developing the game, and Guerrilla Games is taking a hand in overseeing it.

I believe declassified was developed by “Nihilistic”.

1. Byamba’s avatar

Lets just say that Resistance and CoD was made by a 3rd party dev Nihilistic that isn’t so great.

While Killzone is being made by the same dev from Killzone 3. atleast part of.

3. MrHat’s avatar

this game is made by gueriall cambridge. you sure don’t try hard in making yourself look like a fcking retard

1. MrHat’s avatar

*guerilla

10. Zyrkl’s avatar

Ps Vita saviour?

I can see a lot of people in the U.S buying the Vita for this game.

(I’m still waiting for FFX though :D)

1. ReapersRage’s avatar

I second that!

11. MABINI’s avatar

I’ll abandoned my UNO for the sake of playing KILLZONE.

12. StanSmith’s avatar

September? I’m ready for a new Vita game now….
    I’m wondering if we really have to wait till September for another Vita game worth buying?
    I just got COD:Declassified and I didn’t like that game but there is nothing else to get. I got all the other good games…

Thats the current problem with the 3DS and Vita, not enough good games.

1. lolol’s avatar

good games take ages to be developed, this take more than a year

1. Byamba’s avatar

This I believe has around 2 years of development.

Was announced way back in the early trailers of NGP.

2. aerinas’s avatar

No, devs take ages to develop good games nowadays. But a good game CAN be developed in less time.

13. Zanfire’s avatar

as much as this looks awsome, 2 things bother me. 1) unessicary touch screen use and 2) why can shooters on this powerful handheld only have 8 players per match?

1. Jd8531’s avatar

1) Nothing you can do about it
      2) Same reason declassified/ RBS didn’t: the servers are expensive and for a handheld title they don’t know how the game will sell or if there will be a solid multiplayer user base. It could easily be added later.

1. Someone Else’s avatar

Honestly, I’ve always wondered the opposite. Why aren’t people *happy* that it’s limited to 4 players on such a tiny screen, and such small controls?

That way at least you can have slightly bigger targets running around. Aiming at 7 tiny enemies on an overly zoomed-out map just sounds like a hugely crappy experience to me. Does no one else think so?

1. Inali’s avatar

Are you serious? If you add more players inside a map, you don’t suddenly get smaller people and zoomed out maps… Have you EVER played online on any FPS EVER? If someone leaves the game, the remaining players don’t get bigger… Are you high or something?

1. aerinas’s avatar

Maybe he thinks it’s splitscreen xD

14. wartaf’s avatar

what the??? today’s month was only February..

15. i lol’s avatar

The PS VITA is DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!

1. StanSmith’s avatar

I kept saying it will be dead from the start and it still is.
      There is nothing available for it and the only thing good is the eCFW that gets released when we are lucky enough for a hacker to find an exploit.

If it wasn’t for those exploits then it would be completely dead.

1. MrHat’s avatar

are you legally retarded? because you must be fcking retarded with that post…

16. mangbhoy’s avatar

Fuck yeah, that’s awesome! I know it’s being hyped and all but looks so much more interesting than CoD:Declassified

17. King Kong Ngyuen’s avatar

THE ps vita is not dead and people who says its dead can go to vietnam

1. DatSikBoyz’s avatar

What the hell dude? Why my country?

18. asmith906’s avatar

If you guys haven’t already watch the youtube video on a vita. Holy shit it looks good

1. Homie’s avatar

Agreed, it’s even better when you watch it on the Vita.

19. Voltrom’s avatar

Sold Sold Sold, hopefully around then we either have a native hack or a good kernal exploit with a bad ass eCFW. Will update to play, ac3 , MGS, are amazing games on the vita. Still haven’t got drakes fortune but shit the vita needs more games.

20. strangeworld121234’s avatar

the game will cost £39.99 i don’t seen any difference with modern combat 3 and 4 on my nexus 7 and ipad mini, the price £4, i need to sell my vita.
    i spent £35 on app store and got all games that i wanted, vita is expensive and boring, i own 80% of games on psn but still i don’t like my vita anymore

1. Electric Penis’s avatar

The idiocy of your comment is truly profound, child.
      Here, take this book on the English language, too, as you must study up on it before replying to me, lest you still look like a drooling retard.

My electric penis cries tears of sorrow for you.

2. MrHat’s avatar

you spend money on shit games and is now trying to justify those shit games by bitching on a ps vita site lol this guy is a loser

21. King Kong Ngyuen’s avatar

strangeworld121234 if you sell your vita i would send u to vietnam. I’m not even kidding. Vietnam is a place for the unfaithfuls!

22. Khyle’s avatar

Looks amazing!

23. shenmue’s avatar

Why the hell does it take so long to come out a good game on the vita. Sony is fucked up!

24. shenmue’s avatar

Oh I know. Because Sony is busy playing cat-and-mouse game with the hackers rather than focusing on marketing and persuading game developers to make cool ps vita games. Stupid Sony.

1. Qraze’s avatar

sony is not playing cat and mouse. they are fixing exploits just like all companies do these days.

i know of a few awesome vita games down the pipeline, soul sacrifice should be good, PSO, killzone, and the papercraft game looks amazing.

i have tons of awesome games on my vita, and if don’t have ps+ (which pays for itself), get it. very well worth it. i spent $50 bucks for the year of plus and already have more then $200 worth of content now just from that.

1. Someone Else’s avatar

You just said they’re not playing cat and mouse, and then described them playing cat and mouse. (Attempting to fix the exploits as they come out, which is what the expression means concerning exploits.)

1. z3’s avatar

I think he means that Sony isnt only focused on trying to patch the exploits.

25. Death_489’s avatar

Guys . just 2 question :
    i have uno exploit in uk account and i bought ps+ in usa account. i want to back up my files to my pc and restore the vita to be able to put the usa account .

can i do this without updating ? and will i able to put my uk account to use the exploit again ? .

hope you guys answer me ^^

1. lolol’s avatar

NO TO ALL, not 100% sure

1. Death_489’s avatar

i guess i will try and see my self xD

i think it is possible

26. JonathanH’s avatar

(in a ten year old’s voice)
    w-w-wuuuut about call of dooooooty? :’( *insert laugh here*

27. Logan’s avatar

What’s wrong with Vietnam? You guys make it sound like a bad place or something.

28. razor’s avatar

FINALLY, a true PSVITA game.

1. Someone Else’s avatar

…I said, as Gravity Rush, Uncharted and AC3 came out. Each of them a true near-PS3 experience with awesome vita mechanics added in.

29. GlueGun’s avatar

fuck the ps vita is dead try to add more update futures so you can
    have more fuck ups on to your livescreens function’s, i mean scroll down
    on any game and touch the refresh icon to find a update future waiting
    when a update comes. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNN
    DDDDDDDDDDEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAD. 8 players limit do to taxed at
    640×480 fucken dead!

30. King Kong Ace’s avatar

Ps vita is a great hardware, but without vietnam swag its worthless. We need to send manufacturing to vietnam in order to gain some swag for the ps vita so vietnamese people would buy it. I am currently working to put more swag onto the vita if anyone is willing to help please send your swag to psvitaneedsswag@swagger.edu

31. Johnny’s avatar

I swear to god if initial d or maximum tune comes out on vita I would buy another one. wololo since you are in japan and knows japanese. Can you confirm the rumor on 2chan that some sort of initial d is comming out?

1. Dmaskell-92’s avatar

Initial D on the PSP was fun. One of the best imports.

32. Veskgar’s avatar

This is the type of game that will push me to get a 2nd Vita and of course the game. That’s what the Vita needs. Games that sell software and hardware. One for homebrew / CFW and one for playing official games and logging in to PSN. The PS Vita is nowhere near dead and easily has at least a few more good years. There is a TON of content available on the PSN that can be purchased and played on the Vita.

33. GlueGun’s avatar

it would be better of adding YinLips source code.
    i mean did any one see the n64 emulator?
    wow :) because the updates are a awaste of time
    when your playing online every one gets disconnected
    or unexpected update the next day. oh wake up to see
    update, be warned a error that poped up
    on my debug disc the other 489 million needs this
    so i can save them from it, and not even telling me
    what was the cause! pointlesss!!!!! useless! im donateing
    it to a test version :) (open the system for tests) homebrew for you
    one day! now thats effort.

34. Hardin’s avatar

Meh, another outsourced game. Sony won’t bother committing their best devs to the Vita. Regardless of how good it looks, I’m sure they’ll find a way to screw it up a la Uncharted GA.

35. WolfRamiO’s avatar

Another gameplay video, more extnsive https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOy5ztkZr3c

36. IgnusArmagadan’s avatar

It’s sad that a Killzone game is a big annoucement. It isn’t even a mediocre game series..

1. Dmaskell-92’s avatar

Go play Halo.

37. Homie’s avatar

Can’t wait, to bad this is the ONLY!!!! game, that’s in my future.
    ….$ony