Video: VHBL running on PS Vita 2.05

We announced last week that developer Tomtomdu80 got VHBL to run with a new user mode exploit. A few days ago, The Z published a video showing Tomtomdu80′s exploit running VHBL perfectly on PS Vita’s latest firmware 2.05.

Firmware 2.05 patches both the user and kernel exploits used with UNO to run CEF and ARK. It’s also been confirmed that the latest Sony firmware patches several kernel exploits that were all relying on the same pattern (security issues related to the kermit wlan implementation). Technically, the end user is back to square one if they are on firmware 2.05. Thankfully, there are still lots of usermode exploits available in many psp games, and some of them can be used to port, if not a psp custom firmware (a kernel exploit would be required for that), at least VHBL.

VHBL is a Homebrew loader for the Vita running in the psp emulator. It offers overall less compatibility than a psp custom firmware, but is also less prone to flame wars between hackers and gamers, as it doesn’t technically let people play pirated psp or vita games.

In the video below, The Z showcases Tomtomdu80′s port of VHBL running on a 2.05 PS Vita. The video shows the PS Vita running PSP filer (a file explorer / file manager) and Pokemon running on the GBA emulator gPSP.

Tomtomdu80 announced he would be releasing his port of VHBL when Sony releases a “meaningful” update, which might or might not be 2.05. We will of course keep you updated, by now you probably know how these exploits get released ;)

1. Tonakai’s avatar

It’s a shame that they’ve patched the kexploits, but now that they have it wouldn’t surprise me if they released many of the features that people have been asking for; just to rub it in the faces of those who are using eCFW.

It is nice to see however that there are still multiple user-mode exploits about and also that Tomtomdu80 plans to release his.

1. musashiro’s avatar

@chopper :)

im not that into these “new” features but if new vita games require 2.05 and above, i will most likely update.

soul sacrifice will definitely make me update. or other upcoming vita games..:)

2. xoombie503’s avatar

and wololo is back in the fame zone after all this custom firmwares that put his beloved vhbl aside for a while..rise and shine my friend

2. Leires’s avatar

Man wololo, you post early/late at night. Last night it was like 12AM, now it’s 4..You must be in a different time zone or something~

Also, good wololo, have you heard about the whole ‘refer a friend to the vita, you both get 20$’ thing? You could always try to show that to people, I’m sure someone is planning to buy a vita, and who better than you (or, heck, if someone else wants to step up) to get a reward for it? I mean, too, it’s obviously a lie (as corporations tend to do for these things, it’s just common knowledge that the winner has nothing to do with the conditions for winning) but how funny would it be if you somehow wound up with enough people buying a vita for the grand prize? ‘HEY, AREN’T YOU THAT WOLOLO GUY?’

On a more serious note..With the derpy DCMA bullshit laws they’ve put down..I wonder how long it’ll be before you get in trouble for this stuff. Not that I’m saying to stop, hell no, I’m just worried ._.

1. wololo’s avatar

I come from a civilized country where the DMCA does not apply. God knows the MAFIAA tries to enforce those in many countries, but the variants we have in Europe give us enough flexibility that tools such as VHBL are perfectly legal. Also as a reminder, VHBL is not bypassing any DRM, so I’m pretty convinced it is legal even in the US.

1. Leires’s avatar

Niiiice, heck yeah. And the whole recent DCMA crap says that making -anything- do what it’s not supposed to is against the rules. It’s getting kinda out of hand. x.x

2. shadowchildknight’s avatar

well so far i noticed some of the coding looks like java but im not really sure for 2.02 i was fairly good at the psp the vita is all new to me. If i didnt make it in time for the uno exploit should i just go ahead and update to 2.05

3. Dmaskell92’s avatar

You are a hero, but I thought the DMCA was only for protecting ISP’s? Like for example, when YouTube was going to be sued, they argued that it was the user, who uploaded copyright infringing videos, and not YouTube themselves. It was my understanding the DMCA, was only put in place, to protect ISP’s from users, doing incriminating things.

1. Kou’s avatar

You are horribly misinformed. The DMCA was to protect “DRM” and “copyright” nothing about ISP protection. They just added in articles to prevent certain people from being sued like youtube because the users did put the content on there, but if the host doesn’t remove infringing content (or knowledge) then they will be liable. So Youtube has this nasty habit of taking down any videos that are flagged as infringing. They only put them back up if they double check that it wasn’t infringing.

4. Logan’s avatar

I just got a Vita and I just happen to be reading this and a few other articles on this website. I’m completely new and I’m a little slow so could you help me out a little? From what I can understand, VHBL can play homebrew games or emulators. According to what I’ve read so far, the UNO game has been taking down. Based on the video on this page, the user is using a different game, which he doesn’t want anyone to see… yet? So to play an emulator, can I not just download the VHBL? Or do I need a game that has an “exploit” like UNO? I already upgraded my firmware to the latest too. Just in case if this would make a big difference. Thanks Wololo.

1. DS_Marine’s avatar

You are mostly correct.
          you need to wait until the game name is published, then buy it.
          After that you can try VHBL for that specific game.

5. Unmolested Ex-Catholic’s avatar

No DMCA in your country? You live in in Afganistan or something. Lol

1. Aces’s avatar

i thought wololo lived in japan but then he states “here in europe” LOL

3. Massimo’s avatar

So if we don’t have any hack we can upgrade to 2.05 and in future we can hack PSVita?

1. hgoel0974’s avatar

Yes, or you can wait for Sony to put UNO back on the store, and buy it on 2.02 using Charles proxy or fiddler. That way, you get eCFW but you end up on a lower firmware.

1. Rakka’s avatar

What’s the chance of them putting UNO back up? Wouldn’t they have the developer patch the exploit before butting it back up?

4. Foxxy’s avatar

Being able to play my psp game backups would be nice(not pirated), but I’d be satisfied with just playing my psp homebrew.

5. Anatoly’s avatar

When the name is the name of the game? Why do we watch these videos, they are no use.

1. Tony86’s avatar

The videos are here to show us a working version of VHBL on the latest Vita FW. it lets everyone here know that the Team is still working hard trying to get us what we all want.

cheers for the Video gus, i think im going to wait and see if UNO comes back on the store as im still on Vita FW 2.02 as i really want to play my FF:Crisis Core on my vita!!

1. Thommo’s avatar

Even if UNO comes back on the store, you still won’t be able to get eCFW or ARK to run because to get on the store to get UNO you will be forced to update otherwise no going on the store.

1. Someone Else’s avatar

I don’t think that’s true.

I believe if you stay on 2.02, when UNO comes back, it may be possible to proxy-download UNO without updating.

Then you’d still be on 2.02, and you’d have UNO. I believe that meets every requirement for running ARK.

1. scorpafied’s avatar

you might be able to access the store when they put uno back up. they usually put the games back up when they release a new firmware.

it will probably say improved system stability. obviously a cowardly way of saying “we just screwed you!”

cut a long story short because im going off topic, not all updates are forced. some are optional (yes even these security ones. i had a security one that was optional)

but yes your method works to. ticks all the boxes.

2. Tony86’s avatar

im still on 2.02 now and i can still access the store usinng charles proxy, i have brought some final fantasy games aswell since the 2.05 update has come in. even if the Charles proxy didnt work then i can still transfer games from my ps3 to vita using the Open CMA trick.

hopeing that UNO comes back soon!

i know that Sony cant patch the game itself but are they able to raise the price of the game??

1. Someone Else’s avatar

I’m pretty sure they’re “able” to, but for uno… I don’t think that’s likely. Here’s to hoping it comes back up soon, and you’re able to get it. Good luck!

6. Dmaskell92’s avatar

I’m sure allot of you with the Vita can’t wait for this. I don’t have mine yet so don’t release it! Jk, but to be serious I hope it has a mid Feb. release. One can dream yes?

1. hgoel0974’s avatar

Actually, I think that many people have misinterpreted the information, he said that he would release it if Sony made a MEANINGFUL update which 2.05 is not, so chances are we won’t get this soon,maybe in 2.06 ;)

7. Skars’s avatar

Guys, its possible to re install OFW 2.02 ?? My vita have some bugs, sometime games freeze or gets very slow to load.

There’s any file to copy to memory like in PSP? Open CMA can do the job?

I don’t want to update to 2.05 and I need to fix these bugs by reinstalling the firmware 2.02.

Thanks!

1. Jd8531’s avatar

Just try rebuilding your database. Turn off your vita and then R + Power + PS (PlayStation Button) then hit rebuild database.

8. leconnaisseur’s avatar

Just bought a PS Vita this year and tons of game, I just want to be able to play SNES on it and thanks to you I will be able too even without UNO.

TY

1. NNNRT’s avatar

You need eCFW to load the SNES emulator for the PSP. You can’t play SNES games without eCFW (otherwise called the UNO exploit) ;)

9. StanSmith’s avatar

Quote “releasing his port of VHBL when Sony releases a “meaningful” update”
    That’ll never happen. Its Sony dont forget. They release crap updates and if your lucky they release 1 meaningful update a year.

1. Yes’s avatar

It happens. Update 2.00 that came out relatively recently added much stuff.

10. gamerc16’s avatar

hey gamers.If we didnt have these amazing people letting us do to our psp what we really want to do,Sony dont care what u want,they just want your MONEY.If u couldnt play your older games,homebrew,ps1,emulators. WHY WOULD YOU BUY A PSP???wololo thank u for every thing u do!!!!Will be donating to your cause.

1. xoombie503’s avatar

to play psp games…i dont buy an android to play ps1 games or a wii u to play gamecude

1. hgoel0974’s avatar

But who wouldn’t consider buying a PSVita due to the fact it CAN do all that, but the main reason would still be to play PSVita games ;)

11. Unmolested Ex-Catholic’s avatar

I can’t stand Z voice…

12. afikreaf’s avatar

wololo plaess do the exploit on one of this games
    1.wizrbo
    2.canabalt
    3.breakquest
    4.velocity
    or all of them

1. Jd8531’s avatar

You cant pick which games have exploits in them ;)

13. mecksg1’s avatar

nice, im still on 2.02 and will proubly never update unless i need a game. happy that the people that missed the last one will get a chance to experince vhbl soon in the future

1. xoombie503’s avatar

and you would probably never get an education.

2. >_>’s avatar

Plenty of people will also skip the next release and moan about it “depressing me from the bottom of my heart”.

14. ourengland’s avatar

sticking to 1.8!

15. XDarkMario’s avatar

Sony just cant win……

16. Rstxk’s avatar

SON OF BITCH RELEASE THE FUCKING EXPLOIT , IM BORING TO FUCKING WAIT

1. JeoWay’s avatar

You just said “Your” boring. Lmao

2. >_>’s avatar

Shut must fuck you up the.

3. Someone Else’s avatar

Boring? Yes you are.

Yes you are.

Good spot, Jeo. ^ ^

4. NNNRT’s avatar

That way you’ll never get the exploit! :lol:

17. xoombie503’s avatar

as for me im tired of the cat and mouse game…i got my vita to play vita games not psp.it was good while it lasted

18. GlueGun’s avatar

to those that are THOUGHT about DMCA’s and FREE FUCKEN SPEACH,
    1. YOUR A FUCKEN TARD WHEN IT COMES TO THE WORLD AS A POST!.
    (see section 75 of the FREE SPPPPEEEEEAAAACCCCHH!,)
    as you clearly SEEEEEEEEEE! i did a REEEESEEEARRCH and
    now, i am posting my fucken THHHLOOUUGGGHHT and you seee how
    you disssagreee or agree, (witch one whoud you take) CO LLT, ( here as a compony
    by law) and the product, (its pertty fucken gross when it comes to a co, LLT.
    1. you need too put it at work, a compony has limits, this CO, LLT
    has a very LIMITED HARDDRIVE!! mabey a size for a standerd computer hard drive,
    is what 250 gb? well thats the end user, and a head worker for a compony is what
    less then 10 mb of work space?, now, if you picture a co LLT’s computer work space,
    mabey 1000 say google workspace computer they all have a limited amount of easy earn cash get away, Yes all the co you think of, has less then 10 megabyte available to a user, here at wololo wants to be like that compony, and make fun of the end user
    why? because they dont release info about there well-being, (See Thats hideing LOL)
    and to think about what they ask? (the compony man) is a way to go around the kids, i well put it at that. kids well beings FUCKEN BRAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
    2. god sead speak, and they well telllll the truth. ( WiTH NO LIE ! ) please get ponish,
    or perish for have sumbliminal thoughts to any end users brain. like the flame retardent on G2 pepsi cola driks what was it gatorade ingredient?.

1. Roland’s avatar

I got $10 for anyone who can make sense of this spam…

1. gunblade’s avatar

think its was translated from greek

1. Kyu’s avatar

No,it was translation from Insanity.

2. >_>’s avatar

Dude, quit sniffing that glue.

19. dohoho’s avatar

I wonder when the next major FW update will be..

20. atrumincendia’s avatar

It would be nice to get this. Just wish it would be sooner rather then later :P. Who knows when a significant update will come out for the FW…

21. Logan’s avatar

Thanks DS Marine. I gotcha.

22. tony’s avatar

“releasing his port of VHBL when Sony releases a “meaningful” update” yet he gives it to someone on youtube, seems legit.

1. Meh’s avatar

You have been around here very long have you?

2. hgoel0974’s avatar

The Z isn’t ‘someone’ on youtube, he is a VIP on the forums and if you pay close attention he mainly does all this kind of stuff ;)

testing exploits and then making videos for them

23. gunblade’s avatar

cool good news

24. Inspirology’s avatar

Just got a ps vita! Don’t know if I should sell it or not? how much it is worth currently for a practically brand new vita? Every time I looked at it, I wanted to keep it lol. Btw its on 2.05:( btw can VHBL play isos (psp)? when will the next eCFW come out?

1. qwazed’s avatar

and thats why brats like this should stay off the internet. I mean seriously, How The Fuck can someone be so retarded.

2. >_>’s avatar

I’ll take it off your hands. (for free though, since it’s on 2.05 OFW :P )

3. derek’s avatar

should keep it, unless you have other consoles or rather choose to play with your android or iphone games. If your interested, killzone, tearaway, soul sacrifice, dead or alive is coming for the vita. Most likely in time, these guys will provide a new eCFW, but dunno when sony will update again adn again.

4. NNNRT’s avatar

Inspirology wrote:
      “btw can VHBL play isos (psp)? when will the next eCFW come out?”
      ___________________________________________________________
      Didn’t you read the article well? :| vHBL only supports homebrews, ;)

25. clicks’s avatar

Crap, I’m bad with this waiting thing… I’m patient enough but I’m also woefully forgetful.

26. Cyrildu42’s avatar

Salut
    des français (et des allemands) en première place sur la scène du hack Vita !!!
    Cool , ça change de d’habitude .
    Je crois que Wololo est européen aussi (français?)
    Bravo tomtomdu80 !!!!!!!!!!!!
    A plus.

1. wololo’s avatar

Yosh aussi est francais :)

1. NNNRT’s avatar

Wololo pourquoi est tu peur de nommer votre pays? :mrgreen:

27. Someone Else’s avatar

Le l’ai vu ecrit que wololo est bien français, mais qu’il vie au japon. Cependant, je ne suis pas sûr de cela, parce que l’anglais semble être sa langue maternelle.

1. Someone Else’s avatar

[*Je l'ai vu ecrit que...]

1. gunblade’s avatar

i saw tokyo drift japan people are cool…

1. Someone Else’s avatar

What is this, even?

28. xlastimmortalx’s avatar

I have been patiently waiting and have messed up and missed two exploits :( hopefully wont have to wait much longer. Problem is I mod my electronics just for fun. iPhone, iPad, xbox, Xbox 360, ps3, psp, psp go are all modded in someway. Now im checking faithfully everyday after missing the UNO exploit :P

1. Nani’s avatar

Even I missed The UNO. I was lucky to find it in Indian PSN(coz most of ASIA its nt available).

I don’t have an Indian credit card and I had my friends Credit card from Japan which it dint accept.

1. NNNRT’s avatar

So did you get UNO or not? :green:

29. xoombie503’s avatar

soul sacrifice is the best

30. trecenters’s avatar

Sony sure does have some great security for a device that has nothing of value to protect…

1. >_>’s avatar

That’s true. I got my Vita at launch and have yet to buy a single Vita game for it……

1. Nani’s avatar

Even me , I got it just crazed with Augmented reality and for the 2 free games.

31. anonimo’s avatar

the game whit the exploit is Little big planet

32. jakester’s avatar

Are there any PSN networks left that have the UNO game available for download? Maybe there’s a chance that the exploit it uses will be found in another minigame. There are so many PSP games on PSN. Must be more that can do what UNO did.

33. edu’s avatar

im hoping that sony will make VHBL available for free on the PSN.. At least, it does not promote pirated games.. come on sony, think!! this one will increase your vita sales.. ^_^

34. cris’s avatar

Mad Blocker Alpha is on PSN , do eCFW works for 2.05 ?

35. The Kick’s avatar

Sony, just stop it already. Your not getting anywhere and at this point I don’t think any developers care about your console. They’re just fucking up their own system: They’re not going to get any real games developed and they aren’t going to make any real use of the vita. Time to step aside and let the community go to work so that maybe this console isn’t a $300 flop. The extreme security measures they’ve employed only make everything more inconvenient and less attractive for devs and consumers.

36. Cosmin’s avatar

Jetpack today have a new update 1.02, this update fix a potential crash in “Get Coins” Sound crash fixed terrible kerning in “Get Coins” is this a exploit game?

37. Burna’s avatar

hey wololo wat if u guys made an empty vita game cart thats capable of storing 32 gigs plus able to adapt with a vita memory card into it if it is possible to do so u could be able to download vita games from content manager onto the flash cart after pur hasing them via psn or the store it would still cut sony a check so everyone would get there moneys worth

1. Nani’s avatar

Even I was worried with that.

The save file for a game will not be more than 1 MB.If Sony writes a program not to allow transferring to vita if its more size and puts it in next update.

And even the unofficial content manager wont work ???

38. Nani’s avatar

Am currently on INDIAN PSN.

I need to jump to US PSN to get these games , is there any way to get in to that by staying on 2.02 FW, any way I dont have CFW or exploits.

Am afraid about getting VHBL alone for future exploits.

39. hacker’s avatar

while pointin down ur camerau changed your ps vita

40. Kalil’s avatar

Hey guys i have a psvita running fw2.01 i must use the cfw of 2.01 or update and use another cfw ? because i dont know if its possible to hack the 2.01 fw nowadays

41. angerfist’s avatar

why u dont make that u can put free psvita games on the vita

42. scorpafied’s avatar

im waiting for a vita kernal level exploit. until then all this stuff is pretty much pointless.

i dont drill me just yet, here me out. ask yourself this, why put so much effort into running a psp emulator on the vita if its only going to run under the smae limitations the psp had?

what because the vita has a better battery? i mean serously until we get an update which allows us to utilize the vitas full power or even just more then what we are. whats the point? we might as well stick with our old psp’s.

43. kaotik-ash’s avatar

I missed out on the uno exploit would love to have this one i dont see what the problem is that sony have over this if they would ask the customers what thay want when they make a new console then they could stop all this by trying to put in what people want in the first place.
    keep up the good work guys hope this is released soon.

44. DmaskeII92blackguy’s avatar

vitaaa!

45. Matajus’s avatar

Hey wololo, wazzup with the VHBL? :)

46. snake’s avatar

im guessing there is no release for this then. thats a shame

47. thrillzz5’s avatar

soooo now that 2.05 is out, can i use vhbl on it? if so how?