PSN and Online Features on without updating on FW 2.02: Fiddler 2.

In my previous article on Charles Proxy many people have been stating that Fiddler 2 is free, and asking for guides regarding that. As I have had time to look into Fiddler, I thought I’d write a quick tutorial for those who wish to use this as an alternative to Charles.

In my previous article I mentioned that I was unsure as to whether or not Proxy’s would work through the mobile network (for those of us with the 3G model of the Vita). Well, I have had enough time to look through this and I can confirm that it does not work. Which means no online play on the go, guys. You have to be connected to Wi-Fi.

This method will allow you to do everything you could before the update like playing games online, purchasing from PSN or even just browsing the internet (though a proxy is not required to browse the internet).

Note: Just to clear some confusion; you can use Vita FTP or any internet connection within the PSP Emu without doing this as using the internet (as long as you do not attempt to access PSN) does not attempt to make you update. This guide will help you access PSN and it’s features.

I will write this in a step by step method. All the files included I have modified/checked myself and then uploaded to my mediafire. If there are any issues with hosting then please contact me.

Note: Fiddler 2 is a Windows only application, so to run this on a Mac or Linux based system you have to use a Virtual Machine such as VMWare on the Mac, or WINE on Linux.

1. Download the psp2-updatelist.xml for your specific region: JapanUnited KingdomUnited StatesEurope. Save this file to an area that is easy to remember and easily accessible (Desktop for example).
          2. (Optional) Rename the file to “psp2-updatelist.xml” (without the quotation marks).
          3. Download and install Fiddler 2.
          4. Obtain your IP Address. To do this:
              • Windows: Start -> Run -> CMD -> ipconfig. IPv4 Address is what you need.
              • Linux: Use the command line “$ /sbin/ifconfig” (without quotation marks).
              • Mac: Apple Icon -> System Preferences -> Network.
          5. (optional) If you do not have a working WiFi connection then create one on the Vita then move on to step 6. If you already have a working WiFi connection move on to the next step.
          6. Open the Advanced Settings on your WiFi connection on your Vita (Settings -> Network -> Wi-Fi Settings -> your connection name (under access points) -> Advanced Settings). Scroll down and select Use Proxy Server then enter your IP Address and the port “8888” (without the quotation marks).
          7. Start Fiddler 2 on your Computer.
          8. In Fiddler go to Tools -> Fiddler Options -> Connections (Tab) and set the Proxy port to  ”8888
          9. Also under the Connections Tab ensure to click “Allow remote computers to connect
          10. (optional) Still under the Connections Tab there is a box on the lower right hand side “Bypass Fiddler for URLs that start with:” copy and paste this url into the box gs-sec.ww.np.dl.playstation.net This will allow you to play some games that would not work otherwise: Ragnarok Oddesy for example.
          11. On your Vita you now need to connect to the internet. Go to Settings -> Network  -> Internet Connection Test. This should open a session in Fiddler 2 as illustrated below:
            Note: The host ID will change depending on your region.
          12. Delete the duplicate (#2)
          13. Left click on the remaining session and press F2 (Alternatively you can right click and select “Unlock For Editing
          14. Left click on the session again, and look to the right hand side of Fiddler.
          15. Click on the “Inspectors” tab, then below that you should see “WebForms
          16. In the QueryString section of the WebForm add “var” under the name, and a value of “02050000“.
          17. Click on the “AutoResponder” tab (see image above)
          18. Check the boxes “Enable automatic responses” and “Unmatched requests passthrough“.
          19. Click on the Add button. Your URL should now appear under the “If requests matches…” section. If this does not match the session URL (check step 10) then left click on the session again, and attempt to Add again under AutoResponder.
          20. Click on the URL then look at the “Rule Editor” section below.
          21. Under the Rule Editor you will see your URL with the word “EXACT:” behind it. We need to modify this. Firstly, remove “EXACT:” then remove everything after XML. It should look something like this (the regions are probably different though so bear that in mind): http://fuk01.psp2.update.playstation.net/update/psp2/list/uk/psp2-updatelist.xmlNote: To check you can copy and paste it into your browser and look. If it’s identical (with only differences in region) then you’re good to go.

22. Below the Rule Editor there’s a box that says “Local file to return or *Action to execute”. Click on the arrow to the right and it will open a drop down menu.
          23. Select “Find a file …” now navigate to where you saved the file from Step 1 and double click it.
          24. Select Save.

You’re now done. It should now allow you to connect to PSN and enjoy the benefits of  this without having to upgrade to 2.05.

On a final note; I saw some people on the Charles article stating that Sony will block this quicker now that there’s an article on it. While this does hold some truth; it’s something Sony already know about and have blocked on previous Firmware. The likelihood is that they will block it on 2.02 too. Having an article on it doesn’t mean that it’s more likely to be blocked since it’s something they’re already well aware of. The way I see it; this information should be shared now so that everyone can enjoy it while it’s still available. If it gets blocked in the future, well, at least everyone had the opportunity while it was available rather than only a few people knowing about it, and it getting blocked anyway.

So, as always guys. Have fun, and feel free to comment.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

1. zeroxphesnos’s avatar

Nice. Gotta try this.

1. xoombie503’s avatar

update your vitas because another exploit is coming using jetpackjoyride

1. reli’s avatar

the mini or the ps vita game

2. MOHD SALAUDDIN’s avatar

IS it true i will be glad it see that exploit and thanks for your information dude

2. wololo’s avatar

Thanks a lot, precise and clear guide, and nice to have a free option.
    I also agree with the comment about people who think this will “bring attention”. The technique is well known by Sony and they regularly patch it for each firmware

3. StanSmith’s avatar

Would’ve been useful before i updated.
    Ill try it next firmware update :)

4. Janchower’s avatar

Didn’t try this yet. One question, with this technique can I access Netflix through the PSVita without upgrading??

1. Tonakai’s avatar

It should do. Playing games online and general PSN Access still works, so I don’t see why it wouldn’t.

Give it a go, and let us know.

5. juju’s avatar

it doesnt work for me.im in 1.81 and windows 8 64bits. Any idea?

1. wololo’s avatar

If my understanding is correct, the proxy technique only works with the firmware before the latest one. In this case, latest firmware is 2.05, so this will work on 2.02.

Don’t quote me on this, I haven’t verified.

1. StepS’s avatar

yes, wololo. all 1.xx are currently patched from accessing PSN, and a new firmware gets added to this list everytime. maybe even 2.00

2. Tonakai’s avatar

As far as I’m aware both Charles and Fiddler have both been blocked on 1.81

6. quincy’s avatar

can anyone confirm uno is back on psn

1. Jd8531’s avatar

Its not.

7. Erich’s avatar

I was able to get PSN, Youtube, and Netflix to work w/ Charles yesterday. I switched to Fiddler2 but now Netflix times out, although I can get to PSN and Youtube. PSN times out when trying to download most things, though.

1. kenny2858’s avatar

You don’t need psn to access youtube..

1. Erich’s avatar

I realize that, and said it to merely prove I have Internet access on my Vita.

1. Erich’s avatar

Downloads work after the custom Rules script modification (see further down the thread). Netflix still has issues connecting (NW-8942-3 then “Unable to connect to Netflix. Please try again or visit: http://www.netflix.com/tv/help“).

Per Fiddler2…
          A SSLv3-compatible ClientHello handshake was found.

CONNECT uiboot.netflix.com:443 HTTP/1.1

8. CaptainStupid’s avatar

Thank you for this. The previous one did not work for me at all.

With this, I managed to gain access to PSN first time lucky…

One issue I have is that I have some games in my download list, when I attempt to download them I get an error:
    “Could not connect to the server or device within the time limit.
    (NW-5603-4)”

1. SuzieJoeBob’s avatar

I’ve been getting the same issue, but I was downloading a game demo. The proxy must be “getting in the way” of the connection somehow…

2. Erich’s avatar

Same here. But like I said, I didn’t have this problem using Charles.

9. yeoghan’s avatar

Unable to access Facebook & its prompting me to update my FW, uncool!! Will the above tuto help us access facebook too?

@Erich, I dont think the FW update has any effects when accessing youtube.

@Tonakai, Do we need to do this everytime im connecting to PSN? This should save once Im able to connect, right?

But Im encountering the following errors

NP-2066-4 > SCE_NP_AUTH_ERROR_S_INVALID_VERSION

C3-14978-9 > Did not find anything in the net
    NW-10743-5 > Did not find anything in the net

1. Albie85’s avatar

Don’t need psn for fb only for the update maybe not even that.

1. kenny2858’s avatar

You do need psn for facebook.

1. Albie85’s avatar

Yea soz jus checked

10. Comet’s avatar

Hi I have UNO that have exploit on PS3 because I bought it by PS3 before PSN stop it.

Also, thanks to this article I can connect VITA to PSN without update.

But I can’t transport UNO to VITA from PS3 cause by required VITA’s system update..

What should I do…

1. nyrol’s avatar

You can’t transfer it. You are supposed to buy it before they take it off the store. You won’t be able to transfer it until you update the firmware. You may be able to hold out until they put it back on the store and then redownload it for 2.02 using this proxy though.

2. StepS’s avatar

wait until it’s back on store and don’t update your vita, then transfer it to the vita like explained in the tutorials

3. Albie85’s avatar

Bypass works with content manager as well it did last nite give it a try? As long as ur ps3 is up to date

4. Ruggiero’s avatar

I know how to help you, contact me at Ruggy4.97@gmail.com ;)

11. TheBudds’s avatar

Gah! Playstation Network keeps failing to connect >_<

1. TheBudds’s avatar

Never mind, got it working…user-error on my part >_<

12. meteo’s avatar

Works a treat. Cheers for the guide. :)

13. migueliv’s avatar

C3-14978-9 error for me cant figure it out

14. Luis E Alvarado’s avatar

Yay! Using this on my uTorrent system (all it does is download Anime).
    You know, if 3G on the PS Vita had a way to set the proxy, or at least a way to override it, I can easily run an online proxy to take care of redirecting that xml file.
    This would of course work on wifi, all that is needed is that the system running the proxy to have port 8888 open and for them to share their public ip.
    I am taking a nice guess though, that the service will be utterly slow then since it has to connect to that system providing the proxy therefore downloads will be coming from that system. And PSN is already slow to top it off. Ah well, in concept it works, not in practice…

15. Mechanical Penis’s avatar

Thanks for the guide, Tonakai!

16. Mitz’s avatar

Is it possible to put back the original files incase I do want to upgrade my console?

1. alpmaster’s avatar

Just turn the proxy off then you can update like normal.

1. Mitz’s avatar

cool thanks

17. kraze1226’s avatar

after using fiddler now i cant connect anything to my router ):

18. isnizal’s avatar

how about hk region

19. kupomogli’s avatar

Everything works fine until I get to step 11 then nothing.

1. rubenctt’s avatar

Disable the antivirus worked for me

20. Saya’s avatar

Soooo…i did this and One quick question.. Do i need my pc turned on all the time i want to use this? It seems like a yes.Anyone?

1. KiKO4LiFE’s avatar

I would an answer of that too

1. Albie85’s avatar

Yes that’s pretty obviously u are using ur computers IP so yea leave it on

21. isnizal’s avatar

plez hk region

22. mb123’s avatar

Can anyone test it with 1.81.
    I just wonder if madblocker can still be download though this method as it’s available and I’m on 1.81 still
    Thanks in advance

1. mlc’s avatar

while this method won’t work with a 1.81 vita, you are still able to use the proxy method with a PS3 to download and transfer MBA

23. NinjaKakashi’s avatar

I am still on 1.81 with the urbanix exploit and I really want to access PSN but unfortunately I don’t think this works for 1.81 because everything seemed to be fine until the part where I tried to connect to psn store and the internet connection test also failed for psn so I guess I will have to update if I ever want to use PSN again…:(:(:(

1. mb123’s avatar

Thanks for the quick confirmation , did you try with Fiddler or Charles ?

24. Sunny-Tech-UK’s avatar

Hi guys

I have done the steps provided, but on my vita, I get the error message “C3-14978-9).

I am using the UK .xml file, and my firmware is 2.02.

Please can anybody help? I got the same error message on charles, with wololo’s guide also.

25. albie85’s avatar

cant get past step 11 session doesn’t open to be able to edit any help plz Charles works fine but only last 30mins

1. albie85’s avatar

done it now I can tell u that fiddler is 100% better you can close fiddler and it still connects when u launch it back up even if the vita goes to sleep

26. Vibrocil’s avatar

Now for a tutorial on squid? :p

27. achay’s avatar

I want to ask when the next exploit? :)

28. andrea82it’s avatar

for fiddler 2 user:

some request from sony for check your firmware some time doesn’t check with the actual firmware, for exemple at the end of the user-agent string we can found “2.02 (PS Vita)”.
    if you like send to sony a fake user-agent with 2.05 you need to add a special rule on the custom rule script.

1) go to Rules menù and select “Customize Rules….”
    2) find these row:

// User-Agent Overrides
    if (null != sUA) {
    oSession.oRequest["User-Agent"] = sUA;
    }

3) after these row add these:

function jinUserAgent ()
    {
    var PSVNewUserAgent = “2.05″;
    if (oSession.oRequest["user-agent"]!=null)
    {
    oSession.oRequest["user-agent"]=oSession.oRequest["user-agent"].replace(“2.02″, PSVNewUserAgent);
    }
    }
    jinUserAgent ();

4) save your modified script and go.

fiddler 2 reload automatically the new custom rule file, now your user-agent report the correct actual firmware.

1. Genesis’s avatar

Cant get this to work did i get the part right, that i should simply copy-paste this text

“function jinUserAgent ()
      {
      var PSVNewUserAgent = “2.05″;
      if (oSession.oRequest["user-agent"]!=null)
      {
      }
      }
      jinUserAgent ();”

and save it ?? when i do so it tells me that there is an error where i pasted!?
      what im i doing wrong?

1. Erich’s avatar

The rules modification should complain about invalid characters due to improper quotes around the firmware levels. This modification worked for me…

function jinUserAgent ()
        {
        var PSVNewUserAgent = “2.05″;
        if (oSession.oRequest["user-agent"]!=null)
        {
        }
        }
        jinUserAgent ();

1. Erich’s avatar

It appears our web-browsers are to blame. I’m using Chrome, so even a re-copy/paste shows the bad quotes. You’ll see what I mean if you copy into Notepad, or look at the Rules editor carefully.

29. ShogunzX9’s avatar

THANKS!!! WORKING!!! :D

30. elveda’s avatar

works fine! thanks you!

1. NNNRT’s avatar

Now that’s like jc_gargma, *thanks you*! LOL

31. Sunny-Tech-UK’s avatar

Hi Guys

I have again done all the above steps, but when I try to sign into psn on the vita, I get the error message: “c3-14978-9″.

What do I do now?

I have a Taiwanese vita and using a UK psn account.

1. mangbhoy’s avatar

I have the same dilemma – Taiwanese vita with UK account
      currently travelling at the moment in Jakarta

“sa” is what seems to appear on fiddler – I’m guessing Southeast Asia?

1. Sunny-Tech-UK’s avatar

Hello, thanks for your help. :)

I have tried doing what you have told me to do, but still it will not connect to Psn network :(

Why is it not working for me? :(

2. NNNRT’s avatar

Try the UK & JP files, one of them must work. ;)

32. JonathanH’s avatar

It works on 2.02 US and thank you for that online game web address.

33. Genesis’s avatar

Can Sony see that we are on lower firmware and in that case can Vita users that use fiddler risk a ban?

1. NNNRT’s avatar

There’s no risk of being banned, as it appears to Sony that you’re on OFW & not CFW. Unless I’m missing something… :?

34. shenmue’s avatar

There are lots of smart people on the street. Sony better stops wasting its time and our time to play cat-and-mouse game.

1. NNNRT’s avatar

Yeah you’re right, & eCFW is making them sell more of the PS Vita. :lol: I just fail to understand what they have with it. Maybe because of pirated games (ISO/CSO). :?

35. IgnusArmagadan’s avatar

It works! But here are a few issues I’m having:

1) I can’t be online on my computer while fiddler is running, fiddler block all web pages from loading.

2) Tried downloading Beats Slider and keep getting (C2-13242-2) error. This one I kind of guess might be maintenance because not even 10 minutes before that, I tried getting into the PSN on my PS3 and it wont sign me in. I would figure it wouldn’t even let me in if that was the case, but it could just be the proxy letting me in that far possibly?

Either way, there’s a couple problems I’m facing that causes using the proxy somewhat counterproductive, lol.

1. Shivox’s avatar

1) Make sure you’ve checked ‘Unmatched requests passthrough’ under ‘Autoresponder’ tab (step 18 above).
      2) Once your download is ready, disable proxy under Vita settings and you should be able to download normally (but no PSN access, so once your download finishes put back your proxy settings)

36. Genesis’s avatar

Cant get the fake user-agent with 2.05 to work did i get the part right, that i should simply copy-paste this text

“function jinUserAgent ()
    {
    var PSVNewUserAgent = “2.05″;
    if (oSession.oRequest["user-agent"]!=null)
    {
    }
    }
    jinUserAgent ();”

and save it ?? when i do so it tells me that there is an error where i pasted!?
    what im i doing wrong?

1. andrea82it’s avatar

probably you haven’t paste the code in right position, if you simpli copy e paste this code don’t work, the position when you paste the code is very important.

1. crow132’s avatar

The same happends to me. It give me an error after paste and I paste it in the right position :/

1. Pacman’s avatar

Try using “2.05″ instead of “2.05″ and “2.02″ instead of “2.02″

;)

1. Pacman’s avatar

Oops, the reply editor changed US double-quotes to euro ones.
            So use US ones and see what happens.

2. crow132’s avatar

Problem Solved :D

Thank you.

37. Botarguirix’s avatar

if do you live in mexico open the p2sp2-updatelist.xml in a note pad and change the “us” for “mx” without the quotes.. and… thats it! yuhuuuu!!! :D

////////////////

si vives en mexico solo abre el archivo p2sp2-updatelist.xml y cambiale todo lo que diga “us” por “mx” y listo a disfrutarlo … ojo bajar el archivo p2sp2-updatelist version US :P

38. huz’s avatar

hi, ps vita wifi user device content manager assistant install and PS VITA usb see user
    wifi register device user PC!

C:\Program Files\Sony\Content Manager Assistant
    crack CMA 5.0.ZIP run.exe cmd done run as SEE CMA SETTINGS

WORKING ;D

39. Vaan’s avatar

if i have a Japanese psvita and i live in the us which one do i choose the japan xml file or the us xml file.

40. bane’s avatar

i can log to psn..browse everything…i can purchase thing but cannot download it…it said cannot connect to server or something..any help here?

41. Vaan’s avatar

^_^ i got it now, my problem was i had a jp psvita and i was using the us xml

42. Vaan’s avatar

im able to download games, i just tested it out.

43. shenmue’s avatar

Works like a charm for me! Thank you!

44. huz’s avatar

PS VHBL UNO ARK 2.02 WIFI DEVICE USER CMA WORK.

PSN and Online Features on without updating on FW 2.02: Fiddler 2 NOT WORK
    F**K MUST UPDATE THE SYSTEM SOFTWARE SIGN IN PSN
    I THINK DO NOT UPDATE 2.05 LATEST EXPLOIT

45. Yuu’s avatar

Thanks alot TonakaiSAN for this guide :) and to everyone who contributed additional tips and tricks.

46. Vitalicious’s avatar

This is awesome. Thanks wololo

47. yoretro’s avatar

signs in fine but cannot download fron psn store
    any reason? i dont really play online but would like to get a few of those freebie games from moble store and my ps+ games that are currently free too.
    thanx for the online part but is it possible to download or is it erroring out because we use the fiddle(lol)

1 · 2 ·