PSN and Online Features on without updating on FW 2.02: Fiddler 2.

In my previous article on Charles Proxy many people have been stating that Fiddler 2 is free, and asking for guides regarding that. As I have had time to look into Fiddler, I thought I’d write a quick tutorial for those who wish to use this as an alternative to Charles.

In my previous article I mentioned that I was unsure as to whether or not Proxy’s would work through the mobile network (for those of us with the 3G model of the Vita). Well, I have had enough time to look through this and I can confirm that it does not work. Which means no online play on the go, guys. You have to be connected to Wi-Fi.

This method will allow you to do everything you could before the update like playing games online, purchasing from PSN or even just browsing the internet (though a proxy is not required to browse the internet).

Note: Just to clear some confusion; you can use Vita FTP or any internet connection within the PSP Emu without doing this as using the internet (as long as you do not attempt to access PSN) does not attempt to make you update. This guide will help you access PSN and it’s features.

I will write this in a step by step method. All the files included I have modified/checked myself and then uploaded to my mediafire. If there are any issues with hosting then please contact me.

Note: Fiddler 2 is a Windows only application, so to run this on a Mac or Linux based system you have to use a Virtual Machine such as VMWare on the Mac, or WINE on Linux.

1. Download the psp2-updatelist.xml for your specific region: JapanUnited KingdomUnited StatesEurope. Save this file to an area that is easy to remember and easily accessible (Desktop for example).
          2. (Optional) Rename the file to “psp2-updatelist.xml” (without the quotation marks).
          3. Download and install Fiddler 2.
          4. Obtain your IP Address. To do this:
              • Windows: Start -> Run -> CMD -> ipconfig. IPv4 Address is what you need.
              • Linux: Use the command line “$ /sbin/ifconfig” (without quotation marks).
              • Mac: Apple Icon -> System Preferences -> Network.
          5. (optional) If you do not have a working WiFi connection then create one on the Vita then move on to step 6. If you already have a working WiFi connection move on to the next step.
          6. Open the Advanced Settings on your WiFi connection on your Vita (Settings -> Network -> Wi-Fi Settings -> your connection name (under access points) -> Advanced Settings). Scroll down and select Use Proxy Server then enter your IP Address and the port “8888” (without the quotation marks).
          7. Start Fiddler 2 on your Computer.
          8. In Fiddler go to Tools -> Fiddler Options -> Connections (Tab) and set the Proxy port to  ”8888
          9. Also under the Connections Tab ensure to click “Allow remote computers to connect
          10. (optional) Still under the Connections Tab there is a box on the lower right hand side “Bypass Fiddler for URLs that start with:” copy and paste this url into the box gs-sec.ww.np.dl.playstation.net This will allow you to play some games that would not work otherwise: Ragnarok Oddesy for example.
          11. On your Vita you now need to connect to the internet. Go to Settings -> Network  -> Internet Connection Test. This should open a session in Fiddler 2 as illustrated below:
            Note: The host ID will change depending on your region.
          12. Delete the duplicate (#2)
          13. Left click on the remaining session and press F2 (Alternatively you can right click and select “Unlock For Editing
          14. Left click on the session again, and look to the right hand side of Fiddler.
          15. Click on the “Inspectors” tab, then below that you should see “WebForms
          16. In the QueryString section of the WebForm add “var” under the name, and a value of “02050000“.
          17. Click on the “AutoResponder” tab (see image above)
          18. Check the boxes “Enable automatic responses” and “Unmatched requests passthrough“.
          19. Click on the Add button. Your URL should now appear under the “If requests matches…” section. If this does not match the session URL (check step 10) then left click on the session again, and attempt to Add again under AutoResponder.
          20. Click on the URL then look at the “Rule Editor” section below.
          21. Under the Rule Editor you will see your URL with the word “EXACT:” behind it. We need to modify this. Firstly, remove “EXACT:” then remove everything after XML. It should look something like this (the regions are probably different though so bear that in mind): http://fuk01.psp2.update.playstation.net/update/psp2/list/uk/psp2-updatelist.xmlNote: To check you can copy and paste it into your browser and look. If it’s identical (with only differences in region) then you’re good to go.

22. Below the Rule Editor there’s a box that says “Local file to return or *Action to execute”. Click on the arrow to the right and it will open a drop down menu.
          23. Select “Find a file …” now navigate to where you saved the file from Step 1 and double click it.
          24. Select Save.

You’re now done. It should now allow you to connect to PSN and enjoy the benefits of  this without having to upgrade to 2.05.

On a final note; I saw some people on the Charles article stating that Sony will block this quicker now that there’s an article on it. While this does hold some truth; it’s something Sony already know about and have blocked on previous Firmware. The likelihood is that they will block it on 2.02 too. Having an article on it doesn’t mean that it’s more likely to be blocked since it’s something they’re already well aware of. The way I see it; this information should be shared now so that everyone can enjoy it while it’s still available. If it gets blocked in the future, well, at least everyone had the opportunity while it was available rather than only a few people knowing about it, and it getting blocked anyway.

So, as always guys. Have fun, and feel free to comment.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

1. Faton’s avatar

Do you guys know if Uno is already back to Psn store?

1. Kaiser maverick’s avatar

It wouldn’t really matter if they did now. It would be patched and not work with the exploit.

1. thedicemaster’s avatar

games are rarely patched, only the firmware is patched.

2. Casavult’s avatar

The patch is in the 2.05 FW itself, not the game.

2. Joe’s avatar

Wine isn’t a virtual machine it’s a reverse engineered collection of Windows libraries and other system files, the difference is that it isn’t a full Windows installation nor an emulator and it uses much less recourses an feels like a reel linux application (or mac application). An d it’s ported to OS X. So next time you may write something like this: Fiddler 2 is a Windows only application, so to run this on a OS X or Linux based system you have to use a WINE (port) on Linux or Mac or use a
    Virtual Machine such as VMWare on the Mac.

1. Tonakai’s avatar

Haha, I knew someone would eventually pick up on this.

I understand that Wine is not a VM, but it makes life a lot easier while writing the article just to say that. I had actually considered stating that WINE wasn’t a VM, but in this case I found there wasn’t any need as it does pretty much the same job: You can run a Windows application on another OS.

If I had of included it (using your words) it would have been something like this:

“Fiddler 2 is a Windows only application, so to run this on a Mac or Linux based system you have to use a Virtual Machine such as VMWare on the Mac, or WINE (Wine isn’t a virtual machine it’s a reverse engineered collection of Windows libraries and other system files) on Linux.”

Sound good to you? No? Me neither. I wrote it like that for the sake of simplicity.

1. Tonakai’s avatar

Just fully read your comment. I just don’t feel that it’s that big of a deal in all honesty. If you’ve got someone who’s just started using Linux would it really matter to them whether wine is a VM or Port? As long as it gets the job done, then there’s no issues regarding the details of the application used.

2. herpy derp’s avatar

Or you could just say ‘you’ll need a VM or compatibility layer to run this on OS X or Linux’.

There are other errors in your article, and your writing style reeks of someone who doesn’t really know what he’s talking about when it comes to computers and tech. Sort of depressing considering you seem to be a pretty major source for PSP related hacking and CFW.

1. roswell108’s avatar

Really? ‘you’ll need a VM or compatibility layer to run this on OS X or Linux’? Should an A+ certification become a requirement to view the page or do you think maybe being that anal is making the wrong post look sad?

3. Astig_808’s avatar

this one works great for me but the charles didnt.i wonder why?

4. daM33_5.00m33-6’s avatar

Man I wish I could try this, got the exploit over break now that I left home to college I can’t do this, but it’s all good I guess, still got my homebrew and cso on my vita hopefully a full hack comes out soon that would be badass lol

5. Hack PS Vita’s avatar

there isn’t any tool that dont’ need to be configured to match the psvita wifi ? (or a save file for fiddler ?)

6. elbarto’s avatar

I’m having the same issue as yoretro. I can get into psn fine but i cannot start any downloads. I am met with this error: “Could not connect to the server or device within the time limit (NW-5603-4)”
    Thanks for the tutorial, it worked perfectly.

1. Tonakai’s avatar

Pretty simple work around for this (though it’s a little annoying).

When you have the download button visible go back into the advanced settings and disable the proxy and it will connect and download.

After this, you need to re-enable your proxy (this is why it’s annoying, because you have to re-enter the IP and port every time).

1. traveller’s avatar

You can just disable auto-responses in fiddler temporarily instead. That’s easier to toggle on/off.

1. Tonakai’s avatar

Hadn’t thought of that. Thanks for the tip!

2. McLoven’s avatar

I still get that error when attempting to download, does it work for you guys?

2. McLoven’s avatar

as I am waiting for my download to begin I’m reading this and that exact error popped up on my screen, I was like woah. TRUE STORY

7. Lai’s avatar

and so it works :) works great in my vita :) i was able to access psn :) thanks guys

8. Aneudi’s avatar

can we get in trouble by using this?

9. anhtuanle’s avatar

Great guide! Couldn’t get Charles to work but fiddler was perfect.

10. dr3amcast3r’s avatar

THANK YOU!!!!!! (sorry for the caps)

11. Mad-Hunter69’s avatar

someone help me i used region 1 (USA) but i still can’t access the PSN pls help me in fiddler this is my url… http://fsa01.psp2.update.playstation.net/update/psp2/list/sa/psp2-updatelist.xml

1. Mad-Hunter69’s avatar

Sir it still the same… help…

1. Mad-Hunter69’s avatar

my error code was C3-14978-9
      pls help me wololo…

12. manny’s avatar

i question whTs with sony antld there late actions ah i might update my vita when this is patched btw guys im into persona 3 if yall havent tried it please do i pht over 60 hours into itone question can u connect online with a psp gane without having to update??

13. vitacfw’s avatar

hey so i have this running on my vita, but how do you download from psn i keep getting an error can someon help

14. Mitz’s avatar

Great tool! At first I thought we had to edit a file on the system, but I read through it all and was amazed. Thanks again for all your hard work.

15. mb123’s avatar

Does it make sense to stay on lower firmware, if I missed the Uno exploit ?
    Is there any chance the game will be back on PSN before the proxy method to access it is fixed ?
    Or should I rather update to 2.05 already and wait for the new VHBL only game/exploit ?

16. Zack’s avatar

Can I still use PS+ through the proxy?

17. Zack’s avatar

P/s I can’t download game via PSN. :(

18. LuxAlpha’s avatar

What i do to download a game is: use the proxy server and go on psn, go to your download list and go back to settings. turn your proxy server to Do Not Use and go back to psn and press download and download your game ^_^ idk if people already know this or not but their you go

1. McLoven’s avatar

It didn’t work before, but after reading your comment and trying through the “download list” it worked.
      Thanx MAN. Stay AWESOME.

19. Mike_Smith’s avatar

Has this already been blocked in Europe? Was working yesterday and the day before, now it just says there is an update. Tested both Charles and Fiddler. Guess it was fun while it lasted!

20. Matthew’s avatar

Hello!
    Is Sony blocked this or not?

1. eighthdayregret’s avatar

Looks like it’s blocked. I’m in the US and it worked yesterday, but not anymore.

1. Roberto’s avatar

In Italy work well since 10.00 p.m, now not working

21. kaylo’s avatar

does this still work? I followed the tutorial and I still cannot connect. I seem to have everything set up correctly but I get an “error np 2066-4″ when trying to go in the PS store. the proxy server seems to be working; I get internet connection to the vita, but I can’t get into the ps store. please help me out

22. Skars’s avatar

Just adding that for South America the XML file should be replaced for SA, you can pick the US version for ex. and replace settings where is US to SA

and the links: dSA01.psp2.up… …PUP?dest=SA

Fiddler Rule Editor should be SA too.

I think that you should edit your XML accordingly to what you see in Fiddler, if fiddler shows you US, them your XML should be US.

(I guess its regardless your PSN account or PSV settings, since my vita use an USA account with everything set for US, but I’m in south america, so it is related to your IP).

This should fix PSN Sign error C3-14978-9

23. Skars’s avatar

Is this blocked already? I’ve got access to PSN once with my vita without any account registered on the device.

It allowed me to connect and read my memory card (yay!)

My games are back, but now before playing any game, I have to connect to my PSN account one more time, and is now where Vita is saying that I have to update system software again.

I’ve managed to use fiddlers to bypass official URLs, but somehow it know that I’m not on 2.05 and fails.

=/

Now I have no access to my actual games, to PSN, to nothing other than the update screen smiling like devil.

24. guy9988’s avatar

i followed the tutorial and i cannot get this to work plz help

25. koko’s avatar

look s like this is blocked now guys, was fun while it lasted

26. anhtuanle’s avatar

Seems like it’s blocked now. It was working the other day and now asks to update firmware. =(

27. jason’s avatar

for some reason fiddler was running good then now all of a sudden it stopped working it wont let me connect now, any help on this?

28. ivan’s avatar

is fiddler blocked now?

29. GothicIII’s avatar

yes it is

30. John R.’s avatar

damn i was just about to put a 50 in my psn just for psn guess now not….

31. GothicIII’s avatar

Guess what… I buyed yesterday ps+ for 365 days xP But whatever… I bought a ps3 cfw now… So that shouldnt be a problem anymore

32. Rasheem’s avatar

Does anyone know of any other proxies we can use to access PSN on 2.02?

33. karamo2482’s avatar

damn no matter what i do i can’t get back on the ps store i guest Sony blocked it, if there was a opencma that worked with 2.05 wouldn’t mine updating

34. AfgNinja’s avatar

HELP i get error NW-10743-5 whenever i’m trying to connect to psn.

· 1 · 2