New VHBL Exploit found by tomtomdu80

A new user mode exploit has been found by /talk user tomtomdu80.

What makes this user mode exploit different from others is that tomtomdu80 was able to port it to VHBL and has gotten quite good homebrew compatibility, not many exploits achieve this. Below is a video showing the exploit.

Before anyone starts saying things like “it’s fake” or “he’s moving the vita away blablabla”, let me tell you two things:
1- I personally confirm this exploit as I’ve tested it myself on my vita
2- he hides the vita in the video to prevent the game from being shown

I know most of you might be expecting a CFW, but lets be realistic for a second, no dev right now has the intention to release a kernel exploit. We would be very lucky if someone releases a user mode exploit to be used with the kernel exploit that got released recently, but once Sony will most likely patch that kernel exploit in the next firmware, we’ll probably have to go back to using VHBL. Let me know your thoughts on this.

1. Comand’s avatar

I’ve been dying to run iso/cso on my vita cause i already missed UNO. When will the game and the exploit come aut??

thanks

1. hgoel0974’s avatar

this ATM hasn’t been ported to the kexploit so this (in it’s current state) will not run iso’s, IF tomtomdu decides to port it to the present kexploit for THIS firmware, yoou might be able to play iso/cso otherwise you will not.

2. Darren’s avatar

You do realize, Sony has trained dogs to sniff out any game exploit if given one clue….. Because you didnt mute the Vita when exploiting… now they have something to go off of…. Chances are that sony will find it, Like they did the Mercury exploit on the psp (when only a corner of the game was actually shown) This one gives a whole (menu sound?) i guess…. i dont own a vita but i still check back from time to time :). Basically what i am saying!, Dont be surprised if sony takes your game out of PSN within a couple of days and patches it before you release the name of the title.

1. hgoel0974’s avatar

That doesn’t sound like menu music in the beginning (although it does remind me of a game)

I am pretty sure that sony wouldn’t try to guess the game using the sound and then take the risk of being wrong ;)

They’d rather wait for the release, make some dough and remove it

3. Ruwen’s avatar

when comes a cfw for vita games?

1. WolfRamiO’s avatar

like in 4 o 5 more years…

2. hgoel0974’s avatar

When people understand that we shall not release a CFW if they don’t realize that we don’t want piracy.

4. tomtomdu80’s avatar

Hello Guys,

I won’t port my exploit to any CFW, stop ask for ISO/CSO.
    And I won’t send you the name of the game because you asked it.

I’ll release the exploit when a new FW with some new features will be available.

And Sony can’t guess what game it is, the sound at the beginning is just LiveArea sound ;)

1. hgoel0974’s avatar

good to hear from you
      hopefully people will at least listen to you ;)

2. Darren’s avatar

Alright, thats good to hear! It would have been terrible see their dogs get their slobbery jaws on your exploit :) Dont release it until FW 3.0 :D!

3. Yuu’s avatar

Thanks tomtomdu80 for your hard work :), you have made the right decision by releasing when a FW is out.

Do keep us updated on any further developments between now and future release ;-)

4. isnizal’s avatar

nice..make sure it come out in hongkong too!!:)

5. lamine’s avatar

you could help me I just bought a ps vita and I’d like to change

1. hoangbv15’s avatar

I really have high hopes of the vita, hopefully the scene won’t get messed up because of pirates and leakers. I really hope every dev out there does the exact thing like you.

1. onnz423’s avatar

No it wont ruin it. Psp didnt get ruined by cfw or piracy :D

6. hoangbv15’s avatar

Opps, that comment was meant for tomtomdu80, my apologies xD

1. Aristotle’s avatar

Congratulations tomtomdu80 on your fruitful research, and I extend a warm welcome to a new name in the Sony hacking scene. I hope you enjoy your reign at the top. We watch from Ancient Greece with distant anticipation.

5. Jos1122’s avatar

Hey guys…

I,m pretty sure it is menu music.
    I guess its a patience problem…I check it now for a 100 times…
    Really don’t want to miss it this time!!!

6. Jos1122’s avatar

Oké… LiveArea sound..

Still waiting…

7. pSnDeaofly’s avatar

Time will tell what we will be able to uncover with all these findings :)

8. wes’s avatar

Sold my vita pretty boring machine homebrew is a mess and users are being expoited, eg buy this game or that game to maker the “exploit” work. for those that still have a vita,,,,just use it the way it was meant to be used and stop trying to play 20 year old ripped off roms on new technology

1. Vita_User’s avatar

Homebrew works perfectly and you wouldn’t have sold your Vita if it was working well for you too. Why would I limit my Vita’s capabilities to what someone else intended it for?

Given the choice between only playing the 3-4 good Vita titles I have or playing them and Snes, GBA, GBC, CPS1/2 and the Psp titles that aren’t avaliable on the Psn Network I know which choice I would take.

1. makak1984’s avatar

He probably is too young to remember what some of games was damn good – playing on emulated versions on PSP and now Vita is great for fans like us – so good to have choice :)

1. hgoel0974’s avatar

Or he just doesn’t know too much about homebrew ;)

Either way a person would only be satisfied with a Vita when they know what they are buying.

1. Edzo’s avatar

im extremely satisfied with the vita and have yet to participate in any of these exploits. i leave the homebrew and emulation to my psps

2. Jd8531’s avatar

Users are not being exploited, its completely optional to buy the exploitable game. There is no other way right now to do so any ways. If you’d like to release a way to do so without buying a game by all means go ahead :)

3. gunblade’s avatar

well i playing the psp more then my vita think i guess need more vita games probly get more games next month wipeout prety good n wana get like need for speed or assassins creeed but yea think i better to stink to how was the mad blocker relase n not get in the the vita sene

9. John’s avatar

I want to run custom software to play OGM, MKV and other movie platforms, and custom software for other stuffs, and for games.

10. k.lion@live.com’s avatar

is it sonic

11. Mud’s avatar

I have the Monster Hunter exploit should I update to the next exploit or keep it “I don’t need to update my Vita firmware do to no good games coming out.”

1. hgoel0974’s avatar

No, DO NOT UPDATE!
      UNO has been pulled, this isn’t a eCFW, so you should stay with Monster Hunter for now or basically keep it as “I don’t need to update my Vita firmware till no good games come out” ;)

12. Gangstamalu’s avatar

I miss the old hackers from the psp scence. They where really good at what they did. Remember the gta:lcs hack and dev hook. Somebody really should look into devhook.. Only psp hackers I respect are fanjita, dark Alex and geohot. (Weltal was cool as a developer too worked with him on the database and dma codes for cwcheat) Cause they didn’t care about anything. Really when did hackers start to care about game sales like wtf. If there’s money to be made games will continue to come out. The scene was so alive back then. Almost all the psp boards where amazing. Lets be honest music sales from CDs are fucked but jay-z as well as others aren’t starving. Btw the psp had shit games when it first came out too but it developed over time into amazing collection of games. Look at the ds and gba I can save every game onto a 32gb flash cart but I bet there’s gonna be another Mario game out every year and Mario is recycling the same game for years but people are still buying it. Too be honest if the game is good enough i go out and buy it. Like when final fantasy X hd comes out I’m gonna preorder that on amazon the nxt day just like black ops 2. I really hope there is a big exploit so I can get hyped over having a vita for a bit. Breathe life back into the customizations people over at zinga burgers site and where the hell is the unlock for AT&T lock that’s on the us vitas. That should have been hacked to hell by now. The psp was hacked from version 1.50. Vita on 2.02 and where struggling to stop leaks. That’s that shit I don’t like. Rant finished I’d love to hear opinions remember knowing all sides can only make ur argument stronger in the long run.

1. wololo’s avatar

I have lots of things to reply to that, that probably wouldn’t fit in a comment. The only thing I would say is that the GTA:LCS was nothing more, nothing less, than the exploits we’ve been continuously releasing here over the past months (we almost release one of such exploits per MONTH these days, while it was 1 a year in the era you mention). Usermode exploits are not a “mystery” anymore since tools like sgdeemer or SED exist, in collaboration with things such as VHBL. VHBL is basically an open source version of NoobZ eLoader. The scene was cheering whenever a new exploit was found in a game back then. Today, when somebody announces a new game exploit, most of the comments are in the form “hey, can’t you choose a less expensive game”, or “this is useless cat and mouse game”. Kernel exploits in the psp firmware are also more difficult to find and more rare than before.

Bottom line: yes, those guys were great, but times have changed, Sony has adapted, the security of the PSP was a joke compared to the security of the Vita. The PSP was hacked because of dramatic mistake made by Sony in the first place. There is no guarantee they made similar mistakes on the Vita. Look at the PS3 scene, you’ll have a better idea of what you should expect for the Vita, and in the future for the PS4 as well.

Don’t get me wrong, we all miss great guys such as Fanjita and Dark Alex. Those guys were good at exploring new ways and implementing them, and maybe that’s what we’re missing today. Personally, I still believe salvation would come from hardware hackers, but it’s not like I’m one of them, so I couldn’t help anyway.

1. Roland’s avatar

I don’t post on here very often but I gotta take the time to just say that was very well said Wololo.
        And though this may seem obvious, there are those of us out there that remember what it was like back then. Personally I got into the psp scene right around 3.40, so I had just missed the HEN loader stages and was stepping into the CFW era, but even then there was like what 2 games maybe that were exploitable? (LCS and Loco Roco if I recall correctly)
        Things have really come a long way since then, for both devs and Sony.
        Personally I’m grateful that we can play homebrew at all on the Vita.
        And as I finish typing this I smile at the parallels. The current Vita stages are essentially the HEN loader stages I missed…

2. Gangstamalu’s avatar

ur right on allot of points. Psp mod chip was a fail though and people won’t want to bc of warranties and the amount of work it requires and then feeling crappy when the software that does the same thing comes out, which ussally does happen. I feel like where gonna end up exactly like the ps3 scence. One hacker blows it up and dispears after the we have a few people slowing working on it. We need the next generation of dark_alexs to step up.
        Hate Sony for putting out the super slim ps3 with that slide top almost like there taunting hackers to do something similar to the hot swaps from even older gen systems

Great answer not insulting and intelligent.
        All those the games to expensive comments are like the I acdendenltly updated my psp posts lol.

3. gunblade’s avatar

well r4 would be nice

1. Deagle275’s avatar

You mean Resident Evil 4 ?Impossible. The PSVita can’t emulate ps2.

1. Gangstamalu’s avatar

Lol good 1 he meant r4 for ds like a flash cart but that’ll prob end up like the ps3 USB dongle fixed with one patch

13. Dognar’s avatar

That’s funny because I’m sure Sony already knows of all the games that have exploit functionality why wouldn’t they they have teams of hackers that help them improve the vita that’s why the vita is different from the psp the thing is they probably don’t care if you use the ps vita for home brews and emulators because they wouldn’t have any games that you could find the exploit that and they
    made probably sh.t tones of money from the UNO download.

14. Massimo’s avatar

We dream a Jailbreak for Vita..Something like Jailbreak for iPhone..We dream to install any Exploit without any game required..Yes, we dream..

1. gunblade’s avatar

like the egg plant think harder on the vita cuz more programs Managing the vita firmware n settings

15. gunblade’s avatar

is it my computer or sumthing but the video tweking it plays good but the tittle area like flashing n poping up n faDING away

16. whiteassassin97’s avatar

what does that mean?? actually, i missed that uno exploit TOO!!! now i am half-dead to play all those awesome isos and csos on my BORING VITA!! can somebody explain this to me?will i be able to load isos and csos?

1. Mitsurugi.san’s avatar

No… This is not a eCFW. just Homebrews.

1. Deagle275’s avatar

Still worth it . I don’t want piracy , i want homebrew and some emulation (not ps1 or psp , older stuff)

17. Mitsurugi.san’s avatar

Just a question…
    VHBL load homebrews, right? Well, is there the possibilty that a special homebrew that read ISOs and CSOs will come out?

18. Anonymouse’s avatar

OFW 2.05 is out

LOL @ what’s new:
    New in 2.05
    System software stability during use of some features has been improved.

1. Jd8531’s avatar

It’s not out yet, that could be a simple typo. Im looking into it though.

1. Anonymouse’s avatar

It’s definitely not a typo, look at the picture on top and at the description just below:
        “An update to the PlayStation®Vita system software was released on January 22, 2013.”

1. Demonbutter’s avatar

It’s deff a typo 2.02 is still the latest firmware. Picture Says 2.05 but it’s wrong.

19. juan luis figueira’s avatar

Saludos para cuando daran el nuevo nombre del juego para hacer exploit en la ps vita 2.02

1. Jorgerix’s avatar

Un poco más de comprension de lectura, tomtomdu80, ha dicho que no piensa decir el nombre del juego hasta que no salga el proximo OFW, si no lo hiciste con el exploits de UNO, aún no hay opción para liberarla, lo que hay son exploits para ocupar HOMBREW, en el emulador, pero ninguno de estos te permite leer ISO´s.

20. Paul’s avatar

This is going to sound so dumb.

But can someone tell me what the primary differences between VHBL and CEF is?

1. Aces’s avatar

the difference is the level of access.
      vHBL has a compatibility that is dependent on the game used to exploit it, simply, the game loads modules, the game loads the exploited save file and h.bin is activated, the modules that were loaded at the time that h.bin was loaded are the modules that can be used to run homebrew, this is known as usermode.

CEF or eCFW has almost full access to all modules in the PSP sandbox, it generally starts off the same as user mode, except 2 or more exploits are required, the first for usermode, and the following exploits to hike the privileges into the kernel level, at this level modules can be terminated and loaded at will giving an almost full compatibility with all PSP homebrews, this type of access is commonly called kernel mode.

1. Paul’s avatar

So, if I understand this correctly, CEF is superior to VHBL?

1. Aces’s avatar

Yes, CEF or Kernel mode is superior and preferred

21. xTheReaperKingx’s avatar

I think that one thing people forget is that the Vita of hit in Feb of 2012, less then a year ago, right now yes we do need people like dark alex but we also need patience and persistence if we are to obtain what we really desire. Some people want to not pay for anything and still have every game at their fingertips, some people just want the freedom to do as they wish, but all in all we want the same thing. Complete use of the potential of a device that we have obtained regardless of the means. To finish off the reason they are stopping the homebrew exploits is because if they are allowed they won’t stay just homebrews very long and there will always be someone to find a way to unlock everything when given just a little access but just remember we haven’t even been working on it for a year while we have a company trying to stop us at every turn, it will take time but it can be done, just be patient.

22. TOC’s avatar

Is the exploit working on 2.05?

1. tomtomdu80’s avatar

The 2.05 is not out yet, we can’t know if it still works but I think it works ;)

23. Jos1122’s avatar

Wel now….2.05 is out, I’m curious how you get your Info to the “costumer” and not too Sony.

24. tomtomdu80’s avatar

Yes my exploit is still working on 2.05, but I’m waiting for a new FW (with some features) to release it.

1. Jim’s avatar

so what we have to wait for what another update from Sony??

1. tomtomdu80’s avatar

Yes because 2.05 just blocks 2.02 exploit.

Many people have UNO exploit so I think it’s better to wait for an update that UNO exploit users will do…

1. Jim’s avatar

ahh i understand your thinking now. Cool hope to see that soon (sony update)but not holding my breath for it.

25. Antonio Mascuñano’s avatar

En España ya ha salido la actualizacion en 2.0,debo actualizar pues no me deja entrar en play store.

26. Antonio Mascuñano’s avatar

En España ya ha salido la actualizacion en 2.05,debo actualizar pues no me deja entrar en play store?

1. Rstxk’s avatar

no actualices, usa un programa llamado charles proxy, para poder entrar en la ps store sin actualizar

27. Jos1122’s avatar

Something with World language…

28. MADMAN BIGSCROTEM’s avatar

THIS SUCKS I DIDNT KNOW IF YOU UPGRADE UR VITA TO 2.05 YOU CANT USE UNO EXPLOIT. DAMNIT DAMNIT SHIT FUCK!!!!!!!!! I JUST STARTED PLAYING GTA VCSTORIES AFTER MESSING WITH THE CEF AND ARK. IVE BEEN TRYING TO FIGURE IT OUT FOR ALMOST 2 MONTHS NOW AND FIALLY DID IT. I WAS SO HAPP Y WHEN I BOOTED UP UNO AND THEN MY ISOS SHOWED UP I BOUT SHIT MY PANTS.THEN I WANTED TO USE THE PSN STORE SO I UPDATED ONLY TO NOT FIND THE GAME I WANTED AND NOW I CANT PLAY MY VICE CITY STORIES ON VITA. MAN IM DUMB. IF ANYBODY OUT THERE FINDS A NEW EXPLOIT FOR UNO OR ANOTHER GAME PLEASE POST IT. IM SO BORED RIGHT NOW ITS DRAGGING ME BACK TO DRUGS. VIDEO GAMES ARE MY LIFE…..OH AND MY WIFE AND KIDS. KEEP ON POSTING!!! MADMAN BIGSCROTEM OUT LATER!

29. MADMAN BIGSCROTEM’s avatar

PLEASE HELP ME OUT MY DUMBASS UPGRADED MY VITA NOT KNOWING IT WOULD BLOCK MY UNO EXPLOIT.DAMN IM STUPID. I TRIED TO GET IT TO BOOT UP MY ISOS FOR 2 MONTHS TILL I GOT IT RIGHT ONLY TO LOOSE IT IN THE END. I LOVE PLAYING VIDEO GAMES AS MUCH AS LIFE IT SELF.DONT WORRY IM NOT GOING TO DO ANYTHING ELSE DUMB.AT LEAST UNTIL THE NEW EXPLOIT COMES OUT.IF THERES ANYTHING I CAN DO TO HELP SPEED UP THE PROCESS LET A BROTHER KNOW.HIT ME UP! OVER + OUT, MADMAN BIGSCROTEM PS. MAN IM DUMB!

30. SIP Trysten’s avatar