The ARK Guide: Tutorials, Tricks, Tips and More

ark-guidePro Team’s alternative to Total_Noob’s CEF (TN-C) called ARK, was released recently and along with that came a lot a questions and problems that hopefully this guide will clear up for both experienced users and new ones. Below you can find out everything you need to know including tutorials, tricks, tips and more!

WHAT IS ARK? HOW IS IT ANY DIFFERENT THAN TN-C?

ARK is another CEF (Customer Emulator Firmware) to compete with Total_Noob’s. Both of these run in the Vita’s PSPemu through a kernel exploit. ARK is a port of Pro CFW to the PS Vita from the brilliant minds of Team PRO. CEF will let you play PSP Homebrews and PSP backups on your Vita. It does not allow you to play pirated Vita games, or PS Vita native content. Any CEF is completely safe to use and can not brick your vita. ARK is in sense the same as TN-C however ARK includes features and better compatibility not found in TN-C.

ARK’s features include:

• PSX game support (Both TN-C and ARK are soundless and you can find a explanation why here, however ARK should have sound soon. Compatibility on ARK is vastly greater compared to TN-C)
  • ISO/CSO game support
  • NoDRM Engine for decrypted DLC playback
  • MS-SpeedBoost (most noticeable on games like Soul Calibur)
  • Stargate Game Patches (fixes several anti-cfw games like Splinter Cell)
  • Customizable Main Menu
  • Plugin support
  • Recovery support
  • ISO-cache support (speed up ISO gaming)

WHAT DO I NEED TO USE ARK AND HOW DO I INSTALL IT?

To use ARK you must own a legit copy of the UNO game (Which is no longer on PSN) on your PS Vita Firmware 2.02 and below in order to use the exploit to run ARK. If you are on another game official firmware with another exploit, right now there is no port, so you’ll have to wait as UNO is the only way to use ARK. There are however a lot more games and firmwares supported in internal work-in-progress revisions.  Stay tuned for more updates!

It is highly recommended that you back up UNO on your computer in case of any errors or issues later on.

>Once you have UNO you’ll need to download ARK from the downloads section here it’s also recommended that you download OPEN CMA, you can find a description of what that is and a download here.

1. Extract the zip, and copy the folder that matches your version of the game (EU, JP, or US) to your content Manager PSAVEDATA folder. For example: My Documents/CMA/PSAVEDATA/1234567890abcdef/NPEH00020DATA00
  2. Copy the UNO savedata to your PS Vita with the Vita content Manager on your computer
  3. Run UNO on your PS Vita, and press X (or O) to continue, this will load your CEF.

TIP*: You can customize ARKs ymenu by replacing the pictures in the folder with the exact dimensions of 480×272 and in JPEG format. If you’re lazy you can find a few premade ones here! Please note that TNmenu will not work with ARK.

HOW DO I INSTALL ISO, CSO AND HOMEBREW?

On ARK compatibility for ISOs/CSOs and homebrews is greater and most will run out of the box on your Vita with the UNO exploit, but you might often need to package them in a ZIP archive (unless you got a friendly download link which already has it pre-packaged for you.) . Note that in some cases you will have to create the ZIP archive yourself, for example most emulators will not ship with any rom, and you will have to add those yourself to your ZIP file.

>>>>Before you start!<<<<

• Again It is highly recommended that you back up UNO on your computer in case of any errors or issues later on.
  • The files you copy to your Vita with the content manager need to be all uppercase, the file name needs to be less than 8 characters with NO numbers or special characters including spaces, and the extension needs to be 3 uppercase characters.
  • To avoid errors when naming turning on extensions will minimize the issues of having double extensions.                Start->Control Panel->Appearance and Personalization->Folder Options: Here click View tab and clear the “Hide extensions for known file types” check box
  •  Its also recommended that you download OPEN CMA, you can find a description of what that is and a download here.
  • Use store compression when zipping anything
  • I highly recommend using the alternative to transferring content to the Vita by using the FTP homebrew because its more user friendly and extremely faster, just drag and drop on the computer after connecting to the port. Remember the paths for content: ISO is ms0:/ISO and Homebrew is ms0:/PSP/GAME/
  • To copy ROMS for emulators you’ll need to copy that inside the ROM folder inside the folder of that emulator. You may also need to make a SaveStates folder manually so you can save your game later on.

INSTALLING  CONTENT

1. Get your homebrew or ISO/CSO on to your desktop

3. You will need to zip the folder however unlike TN-C you only need to ZIP the homebrew folder instead of doing the file structures like on TN-C. So for example if I wanted to zip FILE FTP I would zip the FILE FTP folder with the EBOOT.PBP inside. For ISO/CSO just zip the game only, again store compression and use the naming conventions.

4. Place your homebrew or ISO/CSO in another savedata folder, do not use the UNO folder to copy content!

5. Use [OPEN] CMA to copy the savedata to your Vita. (Note: You may need to copy more than once for it to show up because Sony likes to make things difficult.)

6. Start your exploit then navigate to the save data folder containing your zip.

7. You should see a zip file under that folder. Select the zip and hit X to install. You can navigate back and play!

TIP*: You can exit any homebrew or ISO/CSO to go back to the menu by pressing L+R+START+DPAD DOWN

TIP*: You can find a work in progress community driven ISO/CSO compatibility list here

HOW DO I INSTALL PSX GAMES AND GET BETTER COMPATIBILITY?

To copy and play PSX games I would highly recommend using FILE FTP to transfer your PSX games. To copy all you need to do is put a folder containing the EBOOT.PBP inside ms0:/PSP/GAME. However to copy through CMA just use the above steps by installing like a homebrew. Compatibility is still not perfect with PSX games however on ARK it is extremely better in comparison to TN-C, so you’ll need to make sure its a good rip and of course in EBOOT.PBP format only, its folder needs to be the title ID. There is also a way to get better compatibility by cutting some of the video in the game:

Games have been found to not work due to some of the Video formats included in PSX games. This tutorial will teach you the best way to cut some of the video out, so that it runs without any errors or black screen! (NOTE:* Cutting all video or important ones may make it not work. Always keep a back up and adjust your video cutting accordingly. Cutting Video is optional!)

To cut video from a PSX game you will need:

• Ultra ISO
  • Pocket ISO v3.0 or 3.2
  • Simple Popstation GUI 3.0

With Ultra ISO you need ALWAYS convert all formats to .BIN before doing anything.

With Pocket ISO you can rip more content and more safe way. (check “Enhanced Movie and XA detection” before “Analyse ISO” and “Process ISO”)

With Popstation you can convert games to Vita with most safe options. (you can use compression level “1″ with it, NOT ZERO – will crash before loading.

NOTE: Your game needs to have maximum compressed after cutting videos, if it’s not 9 level of compression , it’s will crash on start-up on Vita.

Special thanks to SILENT_Pavel for the tip and video.

TIP*: You can exit PSX games on ARK back to ymenu by holding down on the screen and then exiting by using the exit button.

TIP*: You can find a work in progress community driven compatibility list here.

HOW DO I INSTALL PLUGINS ON ARK?

With ARK most plugins work however some will not, but when following the tutorial below double check that you have the correct path to where they are installed.

KEY: Enable = 1 and Disable = 0

1. Copy the required PRX files into your PSP Emulator.
  2. Create a plugins.txt file in your Ark Savedata Folder.
  3. Add one (or more) lines for your plugin to plugins.txt; examples below:
    1. umdemu,ms0:/blabla/plugin.prx,1
    2. pops,ms0:/blabla/plugin.prx,1
    3. game,ms0:/blabla/plugin.prx,1

Well hopefully I covered everything, if you follow this guide you shouldn’t have any problems.. Enjoy ARK everyone!

Note by Wololo: We also opened an ARK Dedicated section on /talk if you have more questions!

1. IrealiTY’s avatar

I hope there will be an alternative content manager soon. Putting my homebrews everythime through the CMA is really a pain, as it syncs everything and not only the new stuff…

1. Kyu’s avatar

Well….once you have everything moved in a different folder inside the vita,you can delete the excess and only transfer the new files.

(…I should make a backup of my current exploit,as having to setup plugins again is a pita)

2. Twenty90seven’s avatar

Looking forward to a port for the Urbanix exploit soon!

1. kikershadow’s avatar

I hope a port for urbanix.

3. TuckDezi’s avatar

I’m getting a “bad zip” error when i try to extract on both links i tried

4. William A.U.’s avatar

Nice tutorials. Will help out a lot for the newbies. Great write.

5. StanSmith’s avatar

The main trick I would like to know about ARK is HOW do I get ISO/CSO to show up straight away?
    Will there be a patch for is there a way/tweak I dont know about?

I dont want to hunt for them every time I goto ymenu

1. Kyu’s avatar

The auto-moving feature of TNmenu was indeed nice.As is right now,I recommend manually moving them with the Filer homebrew or the built-in file browser of pyMenu.

2. Someone Else’s avatar

Use something like PSPfiler and move them to PSP/GAMES. It’s really easy.

1. StanSmith’s avatar

I did that and when it reloaded they were back in ISO.

I then deleted them and copied them to PSP/GAMES via FTP and again when it reloaded they were moved to ISO again.

6. jvhellraiser’s avatar

i think i should shared this tiny info
    for those that use L+R+START+DOWN and
    the ISO freezes,the problem is cwcheat
    i dont know if everyone knows it but when
    you press R trigger + start cwcheat takes
    a shot of the screen,i find out that when
    you press L+R+START+DOWN in one way you are
    telling cwcheat to take a screen shot too.
    now to the problem,you are making the ISO
    to freeze this way,cause you actually telling
    ARK and Cwcheat to work at the same time and
    that’s a no go. cause believe it or not you are
    pressing. L+R+START+DOWN+R+START <- get it???
    to fix this press select and access cwcheat menu
    go to settings go to button configuration and where
    it says take screen shot press X then O from now on
    no more freeze when you try to exit and ISO/CSO by
    pressing L+R+START+DOWN, thank you,thank you!!! i know
    iam the best XD LOL

1. Kyu’s avatar

I use both and there is no freeze o.e

1. jvhellraiser’s avatar

it freezes if you use it alot!! trust me it will.

2. Someone Else’s avatar

Very helpful tip.

It shows that the problem isn’t actually in ARK, but conflicting shortcuts from certain plugins.

That explains why ARK is a lot more stable for me, but a few (mostly tech-braindead noobs) are reporting tons of crashes.

1. jvhellraiser’s avatar

Correct!

7. Kyu’s avatar

Ehm,the plugins on ARK use on/off,not 1/0

1. Someone Else’s avatar

Actually, both seem to work, but 1/0 is the official way as described in the readme.

1/0 works fine for me.

8. vhblfans’s avatar

i hope run psx games have sound!!!

9. RicSnp’s avatar

ISOs will show up on ARK home screen if u store it via zip, send it over through CMA(if CMA, in a different savedata folder because i haven’t been able to find the exploited one when i browse through ARK) and extract it… no PSP.ZIP, just store the .iso file itself. secondly, with ftp, drag an iso to ms0:/PSP/GAME/ it should also show up on Ark homescreen

1. StanSmith’s avatar

Doesn’t work. You cant drag/drop with the Vita.
      You have to delete then copy again via FTP.

And when I copy ISOs to PSP/GAME when it reloads ARK the ISOs move the the ISO folder, they are no longer in PSP/GAME.

10. amazing’s avatar

amazing plugin tutorial…. >.>

11. Kenster240’s avatar

I only have a 4gb memory card so it’s hard to get multiple games on it. The best way I’ve found is to copy the games to the Vita is to copy them to my old PSP (which has a very jittery analog stick) and use Adhoc File Transfer to send them over. For me it takes about 1-2 hours to transfer 1gb to my vita with FTP!

1. Kenster240’s avatar

P.S. I have a question regarding FTP. Does uploading files to the Vita count towards internet usage? I have a limited internet and can’t use a lot. Thanks!

1. TheSpillmonkey’s avatar

No it does not. You are on your local network, not 3G.

12. Someone Else’s avatar

Regarding “PSX game support” this article says “ARK should have sound soon.”

Is there any actual info behind this?

The only info I’ve seen implies that only ColdBird was working on sound, and that had been abandoned.

1. Jd8531’s avatar

There is a plugin being worked on, however nothing concrete on a release. The one being worked on now is glitchy.

1. Someone Else’s avatar

If that’s the case, then awesome! Thanks for the info. :)

13. DrripinSWAGSAUCE’s avatar

I gots my joint on 1.81 and Im running urbanix I been giving paypal cash to these hacker crakkers I expect some compatibly with that game to run this hack.

14. peter good’s avatar

the psx game Alien Trilogy is run good on ARK but no sound but one day will be sound

15. Someone Else’s avatar

Do the comments go screwy for anyone else?

Like they’ll roll back to an earlier date, and a bunch of comments go missing for a few hours?

16. ironchefion’s avatar

there should of been a definitive tutorial on how to install cheats. i see many people in the forums having problems with it… including myself

17. JonathanH’s avatar

Could you post the file structure for Isos?

Is it WAGIC.ZIP/WAGIC/EBOOT.PBP?

1. chris’s avatar

you mean homebrew im still confused on that and psx to :’(

1. chris’s avatar

i tried http://FTP.ZIP/FTP/EBOOT.PBP and it still dont show up on the vita :’(

1. chris’s avatar

oops http:// is not meant to be there lol

2. Jd8531’s avatar

I did, that’s right. Make sure it’s store compression.

18. JonathanH’s avatar

How do you install FTP Vita inside of ARK?

There’s no file structure in this tutorial making it pretty much a block of text.

1. Austin’s avatar

Yeah I know, that’s what im trying to figure out. I have the FTPVITA.ZIP file and its showing up as “corrupt data”

2. Jd8531’s avatar

Simply navigate to the save data folders, find the one you used to transfer your zip and hit X to install.

19. abdou005’s avatar

Until now, I don’t see any difference Between TN and Ark. maybe in the future. but for now, I prefer TN :)

20. zakaiya’s avatar

Just gunna stick with my psp, it was definitely nice to enjoy cef on the vita but i’m good. Keep up the great coverage and work!

21. lidoror’s avatar

somebody could upload a file for cwcheat that dont work for me ?

22. RedHawk02’s avatar

How do you add DLC??

1. eighthdayregret’s avatar

Same as always.
      NPLoader in ms0:/SEPLUGINS
      DLC in ms0:/PSP/GAME

The only change is that you need a PLUGINS.TXT in the exploit folder.

I hear some DLC is kinda spotty on ARK, though.
      I personally haven’t had any problems.

1. RedHawk02’s avatar

Thanks, I’ll try this out.

23. black cat’s avatar

i dont understad the part in the plugins “add one or more lines” <.<

1. black cat’s avatar

understand*

2. Jd8531’s avatar

Depending on how many plugins you have you need a separate line for each

24. G470’s avatar

can draw or take print is how the plugin system? nothing I do this shit works! Email me
    l_p_s@hotmail.com thank you!

25. RicSnp’s avatar

I Still use seplugins folder and i get mine to work for cwcheat and mhp3rd english patch by adding these strings to PLUGINS.TXT:
    umdemu,ms0:/seplugins/cwcheat/cwcheat.prx,1
    umdemu,ms0:/seplugins/mhp3rd_loader/mhp3patch.prx,1

26. chris’s avatar

hey i think u guys need to re-write the article and give some examples on how to zip the files for psx and homebrew like you did for the unbrix cause its a little confusing at the top.

27. Gluegun’s avatar

there might be a possible way to install psp homebrew
    to the live sceen on the vita, the common paths on the
    eboot SKFU sent on the web, (GO TO HIS WEB SITE BLOG IF
    YOU DONT KNOW WHAT IM SAYING!), all you need is, PSPFILER,
    and look in the bgdl folder, notice its empty?….
    well i purchased a psp game, and the way for a standerd
    ps vitas psp is kinda need a *some random char*.pkg, mabey use
    SKFU pkg extractor and, (well you need development skills
    right here) compile a psp homebrew then make a pkg file,
    build like this, sce_sys/package/work.bin >> head.bin >> stat.bin >> body.bin its clear the body file (if you are testing this,) the body file is a build for the other folders like /game/icon0.png and param.sfo, and the EBOOT.PBP IS RIGHT THERE! :O. saying this, i well try to
    compile a “PSP MINI” homebrew, copy sonys psn downloader link and check if i can host the download link to see if i can link a downloader to see if my pkg well install,
    (if you dont know what im saying again, download pspfiler
    and purchase a psp title like GTA psp).

28. Gluegun’s avatar

if it works! :D, im going to make a psp downloader
    for the selected homsceens or hbl, mabey a psp booter,
    :D so many to choose!!!!!

29. David’s avatar

Hey, since UNO was removed from the psn store, is there a way that i can share my UNO? Like i bought it, but my friend doesn’t have one. Can i share mine with him? Can i give him my UNO but still have mine?(Original) Reply ASAP!

1. Jd8531’s avatar

Nope it’s not possible.

2. eighthdayregret’s avatar

That’s piracy talk.
      You should avoid that here.

30. RicSnp’s avatar

Will not work

31. jesusxkristin13’s avatar

thank you for these tutorials they help me a lot

1. Jd8531’s avatar

No problem ;)

32. Kefkiroth’s avatar

Is ARK really “competing” with TN-C? I thought hackers appreciate advancement in the scene.

1. Jd8531’s avatar

Not competing like that, as in another option.

33. Gluegun’s avatar

the way ps vita share downloads, i well put it at that,
    the “share content” the fucken purchase ticket,
    is for 2 device i think, but if you add the psn account
    to your friends ps vita id, mabey that well work,
    i have 2 ps vita, mabey getting a third one for the
    hack so we users wont feel all locked down at some poits
    in life, (kinda bad for the health to always stay at locked
    down feeling) its like a very deep jetlag, sory i dont want that!.

34. DeadPixel99’s avatar

Hey the only thing i cannot figure out with ARK is how to get back to the menu , example in TN-C when im done playing a psp game i can hold start for a few second and get back to the menu and load another game, in ark i constantly have to reload uno to get back to the menu, anyone know the short cut?

1. Jd8531’s avatar

Its in the tutorial but its L+R+START+DPAD DOWN

1. DeadPixel99’s avatar

Thank You. I Must have missed it somehow, Thanks Again.

35. Gandalf’s avatar

How to remove the games folder ISO vita to my computer?

36. itsugawakun’s avatar

they forgot to mention that you can play patched iso’s with ARC

37. shaitan’s avatar

Great info, especially cutting video content from psx games. Although I’d really like the option to just drop plugins into a folder then an easy enable/disable option, I can be pretty lazy lol.

38. anon’s avatar

Dumb questions.. The ISO games you guys are mentioning are PS VITA ISOS or PSP ISOs?

I have a PS VITA with Mad Block Alpha hack so should I update or not?

1. DeadPixel99’s avatar

Jesus Christ

2. eighthdayregret’s avatar

PSP ISOs. There is NO VITA CFW YET.
      This exploits the PSP Emu on the Vita, not the OS of the Vita itself.
      And only update if you also have Uno, because once you update, the Mad Blocker exploit no longer works.

39. Jd8531’s avatar

“CEF will let you play PSP Homebrews and PSP backups on your Vita. It does not allow you to play pirated Vita games, or PS Vita native content.” Do not update, youll lose your exploit and UNO has been removed from PSN.

40. traveller’s avatar

Is there any way to view/change options in ARK? Like the ISO driver, caching, CPU speed, etc.

1. eighthdayregret’s avatar

No need to, I hear.
      But if you’re having issues with those weird games that require default PSP settings and whatnot, TN-C has those options.
      ARK does not have any way to modify those options.

41. Albo’s avatar

followed everything correctly for the plugins and still nothing
    this is really confusing cant get cwcheat or anyother plugin..
    can anyone tell me does FileZilla rename the txt file to plugins 2.txt?? could this be the problem lol

1. RicSnp’s avatar

Man, i didn’t use filezilla, pspfiler or ftp. I just created a txt file named PLUGINS.TXT, opened it and added the following lines since I only use 2 plugins atm:

umdemu,ms0:/seplugins/cwcheat/cwcheat.prx,1
      umdemu,ms0:/seplugins/mhp3rd_loader/mhp3patch.prx,1

placed that .txt file in the ARK exploited savedata and send it on my vita via CMA.
      Although some of the tutorials guys made shew that they apparently stopped using seplugins, I still have my plugins installed to that same seplugins folder just as I had with TN’s(No changes made). All i replaced was the .txt file named GAME.TXT which worked with TN’s exploit, with PLUGINS.TXT… and it works.

1. Albo’s avatar

thank u got it to work!

now trying to get it to work with psx games lol=p

42. d1ru’s avatar

im not understanding the directions for extracting homebrews in ark. you make another foldet called “savedata”? placrd where? with thein the same directory as the uno savedata? (im assuming not INside, but BEside) and without paths, just a zipped file with the eboot?

1. Jd8531’s avatar

No, take another game save and use its folder to put your Zips in. Then transfer that gamesave to the Vita. Then find that folder in ARK and extract the ZIP.

1. ken’s avatar

What if we don’t have another PSP savedata folder? Is it possible to use a fake savedata folder? Or do we have to get another legit PSP game on the vita to make a savedata folder transferrable thru CMA?

43. Gluegun’s avatar

ps vita skips commercial files, like all co LLC,
    they try to make one thing, Money and how they make
    it is like makeing a video for your self to get paid,
    and the promise is not very big, so users must
    understand this, the file must be a type, not MIMEING types,
    or cph8 digital, or one file, pic.img, something nobody
    relly uses, for files like .zip would not work because
    there is a .zip program…. get it? .ZIP is not a program
    for the psp, but still works because k_return; command
    was implemented, (get inputs command), but for ark,
    there relly is no installer, TN has a .ZIP read, ark was
    build few months a go, still very buggy at some points…….

1. wololo’s avatar

I am the only one with no clue what you are talking about?

1. McLoven’s avatar

lmao. u should realy try and get that “LIKE” button in here, “or I approve this message” button. just sayin’ :)

44. Gluegun’s avatar

what i ment to say, Hive-cm8 not cph8, been bezzzy…..

45. Icebear’s avatar

having trouble with this for some reason i can’t install my homebrew like the SNES and Genesis emulators when i had the TN-C i just threw the ZIPS into the UNO folder and it found them but when i use this ARK program it wont detect anything at all they are named right and everything because they worked just fine in TN-C where do i put the zip folders at so it can detect them?

46. DICEMEN4’s avatar

Nice ark pro v anyone knows how to create psp games homebrew what tools would I need and the programming languge c ?? :)

47. nima’s avatar

hi everyone
    plz help me.
    i dont know how convert .bin file to .iso and make a eboot. ?

48. McLoven’s avatar

I love ARK, no problem. I’ve used both methods for copying ISO’s, but I’m not so sure that FTP is “extremely faster” as stated by Jd8531 or is it just me?
    Please correct me if I’m wrong.

49. phoenixshade’s avatar

look im aussie n i wasnt able to get the game uno i was wondering if some 1 would be willing to email me the game back up files so i can load it to my vita? so i can try to work out if i can load the uno game that way as i cant down load it in ps store :( if you can email me the files do so at ericroyevans1985@gmail.com

1. wololo’s avatar

1) This won’t work, and 2) don’t ask for such things here, or you’ll get a ban

50. phoenixshade’s avatar

i wasnt askin for some 1 account info for ps store i was wondering about it that all n ty for info so ne idea as to ne new possible games that might be n idea to get?

1 · 2 ·