It’s official, UNO was the most sold psp game in December

I have a tendency to minimize the impact of the scene on the actual gaming world. You’ll even see me saying that less than 5% of psp users are using a CFW, but once in a while, the industry confirms that we have a significant impact. Today Sony published their numbers for the most sold games on the PSN, and the numero uno in the PSP category is a familiar name :)

UNO was the vector of an exploit from frostegater, which allows people to install a psp custom firmware (Total Noob’s CEF) on their Vita running the latest firmware 2.02. Since the public announce of the exploit a few days ago, Sony has pulled the game from all their stores, a move that is now a tradition in their battle against homebrew. Interestingly, it took them a while to remove the game from the stores. Europe was the fastest, with the game being removed on January 2nd in the EU stores. Japan was on national holiday until the 7th, which is when the game was pulled from the JP store, and the US followed shortly afterward.

In spite of this, UNO was the most sold PSP game on the PSN for the month of December, and Sony say so themselves in their monthly report. What’s interesting is that we announced publicly the name of the game on December 31st, which means that either lots of people bought it before the public announcement (either with our ninja release, or by trusting some leaks), or that it sold a terrific amount on December 31st, or that nobody buys other PSP games on the PSN anymore.

Well, UNO is now there, shining like a star, beating AAA titles such as GTA or Starwars Battlefront. So I have to assume the impact of the scene is real on Sony’s sales.

uno-top-psp-game-december

Screenshot of Playstation’s top 5 sold PSP games in December 2012

Now if I were a hacker, I’d look for exploits in some of the other top 5 psp and psp mini games ;) Well, Uno and Monster Hunter are already done…

source: US Playstation blog, thanks to Charls for the tip!

1. 1st’s avatar

1st XDDDDDD

1. adriandevera’s avatar

You need a life, no one cares.

1. I’m on it.

1. Draven’s avatar

You’re doing the Lord’s work, son. Godspeed.

1. JC3Fresh’s avatar

some one says first and you guys want to kill him, ok

2. fate6’s avatar

I salute you great sir

2. Keyblade Spirit’s avatar

The first ever “1st” comment that was ever relevant to the post.

1. Someone Else’s avatar

Seems like all the common white knight dbags didn’t get the joke.

Uno. First. Heehee. :)

1. Hmm, seems like you’re right. He is pardoned. This time..

2. William A.U.’s avatar

Figures.. lol Knew it would happen haha

3. Dovlek’s avatar

Keep it up

4. Edzo’s avatar

im mad at myself for never checking this website. hopefully i dont miss the next exploit :/

1. >_>’s avatar

You’ll miss it. :P

1. Edzo’s avatar

ive been out of the psp scene for about 2-3 years but now that i know about this emulated cfw situation i may have to get back in. no i wont miss it. im going to live on this website.

2. GottZ’s avatar

more sad is to not miss it but to not own a vita in order to get it.

1. Someone Else’s avatar

There’s a name for that. It’s called “missing it”.

In an even worse way, since you also don’t get to enjoy the Vita.

5. adriandevera’s avatar

My PSVita had the “Black Screen Blue PS Light Issue” and I went to the recovery menu and was meaning to reboot it but I accidentally restored the system and I lost UNO.

Very unfortunate… For future reference if I “backed up” the data to my computer using the content manager then lets say I formated my memory card or restored my vita, could I theoretically upload the backup files and retain the exploit? Or would this not work? :/

1. wololo’s avatar

Yes, this would work

2. dimy93’s avatar

Wasn’t the game left in the download list in europe- try redownloading it from there

1. adriandevera’s avatar

im not in EU, im in US? How would I download it from EU and put it on my vita?

1. agp670’s avatar

did you backup your uno game on your pc? if the answer is yes then you can put it back in your ps vita using Open CMA

6. Yukon’s avatar

Do yall see that UNO PSP game on the top 5 PSP games? I helped put that up there. :D

1. dragng8’s avatar

me too!

7. garrei’s avatar

I see your hidden message wololo ;)

1. Someone Else’s avatar

Is he on chat roulette again?

8. wartaf’s avatar

congratulations Sony :D

you’ve got a good sale for it.

9. GuitaristMatt’s avatar

That is hilarious!

10. hgoel0974’s avatar

great! Next up, GTA:VCS! (hopefully)

1. fate6’s avatar

iirc all GTA games where black listed :/

11. Veskgar’s avatar

This is awesome! The game was left up on the US Store for quite a while after exploit was released. I thought they weren’t going to bother removing it. It is finally pulled down though. I was one of the ones who bought it. Its good to see the scene have an impact we can see and not just guess.

12. Zix’s avatar

@wololo…. he wololo, do you think we will ever have an exploit that dosent require us to buy a game on psn, you know, like the ChickenHEN xploit on the PSP or like the way we were able to install the first psp cfws like OE and m33.

I want to get a vita so I can enjoy hacks in the future, but im on mobile broadband and so cant connect to the net via my Vita.

13. Stormwolf’s avatar

we need numbers :D

14. Charls’s avatar

^^ i see the post and then say to myself wait a second UNO its the number one xD!! well then you know

15. walala’s avatar

FUCK ASIAN PSN!!!!
    FuCK TAIWAN PS STORE!!!

16. Stiffeno’s avatar

I added my +1 sale to that UNO rank bahaha!

17. Charls’s avatar

my comment its dead :(

18. xoombie503’s avatar

hey people..wololo is telling us something

1. Acid_Snake’s avatar

yes, he’s telling you that an exploited game sold more than all AAA titles

19. Charls’s avatar

where i can see the livechat or how is it?

20. notder’s avatar

best sell!!! lol

21. The Budds’s avatar

So in other words, Sony owes a bi of thanks to you wololo :)

22. MaxiExtreme’s avatar

Nice! If there’s a knockout punch of the year (pacquiao vs marquesz) then there is a best sale of the year! UNO… you are #1!

23. Chiodo’s avatar

Would be interesting to know the top selling psp game of November 2012. Did we really have an impact? Was it an already popular game, so they decided they would lose more money pulling it during the holiday season?

24. JonathanH’s avatar

Only if Wololo could get referal money lol.

1. wololo’s avatar

Haha, if frostegater got $1 from each download of UNO, he could probably stop working for 1 year :)

25. solidsnake’s avatar

ha ha ha!! for some reason, uno appears to be an awesome game.

26. bumbrumber’s avatar

haha i bought a ps vita and uno just for this exploit. stupid sony. they better not pull any stupid shit and patch it. time to figure out what i need to write in. i’m thinking about building an mpd client for it. is there a way to start a daemon on this thing? i suppose it would be running in the psp emulator

27. 30W’s avatar

This is nice! i hope at least 10% procent or more of the vita owners have homebrew now. if sony doesn’t deliver the games we excpected this is what they get.

28. Nani’s avatar

I found UNO in Indian PSN ( even being Asia) but I have a japan credit card which it dint accept.I missed it even I was following wololo site since long back. Will there be any chance of getting an exploit again for me n thousands of others who missed unfortunately. I feel depressed from the bottom of my heart :’(

29. Warlord698’s avatar

i think we might see a new trend where the games stay on longer now…..or they were all on vacation at the time LOL

30. johnny’s avatar

this is nonsenese and has real connection with real piracy involving REAL CFW.

In this case, the developers actually benefited from this. If you could explain us then how Gran Turismo for PSP, which was a simple GT4 port from PS2, sold over 2mil copies?

1. Chiodo’s avatar

People went to the store and bought it.

31. Hack PS Vita’s avatar

Hehe nice,
    too bad we don’t know the number of sells

1. Yes’s avatar

I’m guessing that the numbers are very low. Maybe a few thousand units at most if i should guess.

32. meler-andy’s avatar

sony got to do with it something …… an inside job to make vita more sales :D

33. Nani’s avatar

34. weasal’s avatar

they should work on the free psp games sony game out when there network got hacked coz every1 would have it like little big planet

35. xendy’s avatar

i missed to download that game… already removed on USA store and EU? damnnnnn…did someone upload the game?

36. JACK CHAN’s avatar

FROST SHOULD GO AND DIE.

37. Chron.’s avatar

so pissed i missed the exploit in the US store. please find another one ASAP or a workaround for another PSP game.

38. eli’s avatar

does anyone can help me getting the UNO mini to execute with the exploit… plisss!!!! I’m kind of desperate over here!!!!!!!!!

39. dude guy’s avatar

I got completely screwed for jumping the gun on this one. I got in on all the the earlier releases, but this one bit me. Sony decided for about 4 days not to accept my debit card. Don’t make my mistake and update your Vita before buying the game. I did…. Now because Sony made the wonderful decision not to take my money before UNO was removed from the store I’m now out of homebrew. Bullshit.

40. pc games online store’s avatar

Oh my goodness! Incredible article dude! Thank you, However I am encountering difficulties with your RSS. I don’t understand the reason why I can’t subscribe to it. Is there anyone else getting similar RSS issues? Anyone who knows the solution will you kindly respond? Thanx!!

41. StepS’s avatar