Sony files patent to block used games

Jd8531

Blogger/ Amateur Journalist. Indie Developer. Hacking and console security. Follow me on Twitter.

You may also like...

1. DiGi says:

It’s like a music artist suing a person for downloading there songs. Puts them in debt for life while they’re making millions anyway… Same concept. Everyone just want’s more money to spend.

The only good thing that could come out of this is bringing more PC gamers. Why? Because used games was a HUGE part of consoles. They take that away, what point is there in consoles now other then usability? Only reason I’d buy a game for XBOX was to share it with my brothers when I was done. Can’t do that, why bother now?

2. Someone Else says:

Boycott the next-gen consoles.
    Don’t support Adolf.

3. Nathan says:

I honestly believe game specialty stores like Gamestop will boycott the consoles blocking used content for us. That is how they make a good chunk of their money, used items. Then they’ll file a lawsuit and sony can’t pay off anyone because they are not influential to any market other than the Blu-ray industry. Best Buy might boycott as well.

4. SupahLeecha says:

Sony is getting more and more greedy.
    Dear sony how is your ps vita sales? Goodluck to you then.
    We, users, never felt your generousity.
    If used games cannot be sold/bought from the market, then, can you please offer a money back guarantee? I just want to make sure I will satisfied for what I paid for.

5. Alcatraz says:

OMG Dear Sony,
    Thats the biggest Shit ive ever heard from you.

6. SonYIsTheBest says:

even from day one stores mean nothing to me

7. someoncool says:

Personally, I hate this idea. 1/2 my games I buy used because the budget is not there to buy every game that comes out. Multi-player is tyed to the AAA tiles (black ops, Modern Warfare, etc) and I normaly buy those at full retail.

I think Sony/Microsoft should go after places like gameripoff (gamestop) to make them pay a fee for selling used games and make them cut there margins down a little. Also put the the online codes for games on all of them like on the vita, they still will make money and when people buy them new, they can play online.

I should be able to buy the single player game (for achivements/trophies) for a discounted price after someone else has played it, just like you can buy used DVDs/Blu-rays for 1/2 the price for used ones. Or music CDs…

If they want to stop this totaly, then just drop all new PS4 and 720(xbox ?) games to $30 each. I would not feel the need to shop for a deal on a game.

8. gunblade says:

cheaper games would be nice if there like computer games i can see why used games would be issues gamestop dosent let u return pc games once opean most store do the same…

9. logitek says:

I hate hearing people say Sony or Microsoft are greedy ( of course they are). If you think they are then stop feeding them. They don’t force you to buy their product. As a consumer we hold all the cards, but we choose not to use it. People are so use to be f**ked in the a** what’s another inch :) The worst is they will come for more. With that said can you really blame Sony :)

10. fck sony says:

buy wii , that if xbox also block use game hehehe , bye bye sony , its time for u to go down from gaming industry , after vita fail with umd support , now this sh3t , wow sony realy pissed gamer off lol

11. shenmue says:

I have been a fan of Sony since day one. I own every game console Sony makes. But now if Sony makes the decision to block used games, I will have to say no to Mr. Sony.

Here’s a message for you Mr. Sony:
    Dear fucking Mr. Sony, you can stick your PS4 into your a$$ and your mom’s a$$ and your kid’s a$$. You are not the only one making game console and I don’t have to have a PS4. I will go and buy NVidia Project Shield which is an open source device which I can do anything to it I want because it’s my money.

12. Potato face says:

I sense a new wave of piracy coming about.

13. XPGXatoku says:

i hope sony understands that there gonna get fucked if they block used games cos alot of poor people buy used games and then theres gonna be all these old hackers coming back like the n64 and snes flashcart teams… not nessasarjly them but legends like dark alex. you think used games are bad think about all the piracy that could resolve from it you selfish greedy cocksucking mofo think of people who will go out of buisness ie pawn shops ebgames gamestop ect. then nobody is making any money… and anyway i have one thing to say… I HOPE YOU AND YOUR WHOLE COMPANY END UP IN A CARDBOARD BOX WITH YOUR COMPANY AND ALL YOU HAVE IS A UGLY WIFE AND A PAPER BAG WITH EYEHOLES AND A BOX BY A STREET CORNER THEN YOULL SEE HOW IT IS FOR SOME POOR PEOPLE HAVE TO LIVE AND SOME OF THEM SPEND MONEY FROM BLOWWING C*CK ON USED GAMES JUST SO THEY CAN FEEL PROUD ABOUT NOT DOWNLOADING GAMES OFF THE NET AND FEEL THEY HELPED THEVECHONOMY JUST A LITTLE BIT NOW I HAVE ONE THING TO SAY TO U SONY FUCK U! THAT IS ALL… thank u for your time

• lovinit says:

man, hackers have not been able to install any hack on consoles beyond cech-3000 firmware 3.56+ …. they are going to block us and sony is NOT going to be fucked… you now what? is UP TO US the ppl buy or not their shit. We have to stop buying.

14. XPGXatoku says:

couldnt this be avoided with a dvddrive fw hack anyway?

15. DAVE says:

AND YOU ARE GOING TO F.UNG BUY PLAYSTATION!!!?!!??=?=)((=???????? I CANT BELIEVE IT, WAKE UP PEOPLE FOR GOD SAKE… WAKE UP DAMMED… WE CAN NOT BUY THAT SHIN ANYMORE… EVERYTHING HAS CHANGE SINCE MY SNES CARTRIDGES.. THERE WAS A LITTLE ” LET THEM HAVE FUN” FROM THE CORPORATIONS… RIGHT NOW EVERYTHING IS FUCKING REVENUE IM SO SICK OF THAT I HAVE BOUGHT MY CONSOLE 9 TIMES BECAUSE OF THE GAMES.. THAT IS BEYOND WHATS FAIR.

16. lovinit says:

PEOPLE DONT BUY…you guys seem like robots.

17. Anders says:

Sounds good to me I always buy my games used especially since they introduced online pass I mean used game = $55 used $60 new Used 55 + 10 online pass say what you just paid for a new game :O impossible you saved nothing but a dollar or pennies on tax

18. Jereme says:

if they allow this patent to go through it’ll effect gamers even more, you would not be able to bring you game over to your buddies house to play. you would need to bring your system over just to play with your friends