(Video) PS Vita’s USB, the worst design ever?

A message for gamers as the holiday season is here:
Hey Folks, it is the shopping season and that means most of us will be buying gaming stuff in November and December. Wololo.net will be looking for the best deals and let you know about them. For example in July 2016, our twitter followers and mailing list subscribers were among the first to know about an Uncharted 4 Special edition deal for $19, a 75% discount at the time! Follow us on twitter to stay up to date. I also suggest to subscribe to our deals mailing list below for full deal updates. Note: this mailing list is mostly useful for people in the US.

We do not share your email with any third party

1. Frank says:

Check the logo dude… You’re the only one having that problem I believe or you’re always plugging your PS Vita in the dark 🙂

2. yeah yea says:

ive also remembered one time that i have charge my vita when the light was turned off, i didnt realized that the cable was been inserted in the wrong way thus the vita was not charge by morning, lol

3. Lawthugg says:

feel for the logo. even a blind man can feel the logo!

“Charlie Brown voice”… GOOD GRIEF!!!

4. bcrew1375 says:

Strange, I got my Vita on the US launch day (February 22nd), but the back of the USB cable has the corners and middle jutting out slightly to prevent it being plugged in backwards.

5. Theredbaron says:

My problem is that it is on the bloody bottom. I play when I lie down, alot. And if I charge as well I run the risk of ruining the cord, as they shouldn’t be bent. I think that is a serious flaw. Put it on top, or make the plug 90°.

6. nico says:

Is there any difference between different version? I wonder… I’m in north America.The Vita came out like few months late over here. Maybe they first lunched it in some countries with that kind of lack design? And fixed when in north America. Because the unit I got at the first released has no problem at all.

7. kuagelo says:

I think this one’s only for older units. I got mine on October last year, it won’t allow me to plug it upside down.

8. konamigood says:

That’s why Apple introduce Thunder connector
    LOL

9. k3nn says:

i would have to agree with wololo on this, it does seem to be able to plug in both ways, most of the connectors i know has only 1 way to be plugged in (hdmi, usb, et). this is a fail from Sony; they should have included a notch somewhere.my unit is from apr 2012

10. Bromanbro says:

The problem was only with Japanese first gen units. It was fixed by the NA release.

• TelcoLou says:

Uhm no. I had the same problem a couple of times; I noticed it wasn’t charging and said “***” several times until I switched it so the logo was facing up. NA version.

My larger gripe is how EASILY the rubber sheathing splits; I had to get a new USB cord-section due to it splitting, als gripe-worthy: IT’S ON THE BOTTOM, and juts out really far, so I can’t charge it while playing in bed! >.<

11. Veskgar says:

I preferred the USB connection on top of the PSP. I often use the PS Vita while its got the USB plugged in and its a little awkward. Just a small gripe really. Overall, I’m pleased with the design.

12. wraddek says:

haha, I always just make sure that the “ps” logo is facing up to avoid this problem

13. suicidal_banana says:

I dont have this issue either, though the connector does look pretty shoddy, i guess i could force it in upside down, but so far ive not had that happen yet.

14. TioSolid says:

Same problem here, this *** me off so much too, but reading the previous comments it looks like a regional problem. I have a Japanese 3G Vita (like you do, probably) and the cable fits both sides. My friend has a brazillian model and the cable is blocked from fitting the wrong side

15. ShogunzX9 says:

Definitely depends on the regional type of connector…mine is only fitted one way….all in all, i have no problem with the cable ^_^

16. mangbhoy says:

Fortunately enough I don’t have this issue.
    That does suck.

My Vita model is a PCH-1006

• psvita-freak says:

the the number 6 is a coutry code… my vita is an 1004, an dutch model… the 100 is the model type…
      At the psp you can see this too, the 100* version was a fat, the 200* was a slim, the 300* was an psp slim&light.

(*=your coutry code)

17. dem0n_uk says:

when i got it out the box very first time having a vita in my hand i thought great the cable goes in both ways.

But soon worked out it only charges or connects to ps3/pc plugged in one way.

Now i look for the little playstation symbol on the connector before i shove it in.

18. PS3 says:

I want a good hack for the vita frostegater sucks i want dark_alex

19. Dust Junky says:

I still don’t uderstand why institutions like Sony use proprietary dock connections (like the Vita’s) only to directly connect it to USB??? Surly that makes no sense, why not just use a industry standard like mini or micro USB? Wouldn’t that make the overall production costs per unit cheap for the consumer as well?

20. whatever says:

never had this issue

21. dahui says:

My US Vita purchased last March has a keyed USB slot and cable, so I haven’t had an issue plugging it in. It very well may be, as a previous commenter said, region specific.

22. zorrodood says:

you really have to force the plug in the hole to get it in upside down. it fits, but you should notice that it isn’t supposed to go this way.

• wololo says:

On my model it fits perfectly and I don’t feel any resistance whatsoever

• Vitality777 says:

Same here, no friction/resistance whatsoever. It just fits perfectly in both ways. My Vita is a very early (1 week after launch date) EU device (bought in the Netherlands).

23. Klowned says:

hi i have a little question when i try to run snes emulator on vita black screen and nothing after intro is it because i have rom in smc format or should i have them in zip file??

24. loverali says:

Mine can go upside down but with force.normally before using force i understand that I’m plugging it the wrong way.and just to be sure i look at the Sony logo.Actually i didn’t expect it from you.

• wololo says:

As it has been discussed several time, Launch JP models have a design flaw. I don’t have to force at all in order to plug it the wrong way. I also don’t want to have to think about it twice when I plug a cable.

25. Mr Oh God says:

Are you guys serious about this ***? Mobile phones are doing this for ages, same with the PSP. Yet you complain about something you fail to do. Jeez, what a bunch of dorkheads

26. Vitality777 says:

Besides the lack of good titles, this is the 1 thing that’s been bothering me since day 1. I always put the plug in upside down. I wonder how this could have slipped through the quality check. I just hope my port will never break because of this crappy design error.

27. pessimist pete says:

I’ve never plugged it in wrong. It takes all of 1-2 seconds to see where the PS logo is on to plug it in correctly.

28. jesus says:

i´m agree the worst of course

29. DarkVolkaN says:

It really works with my german April 2012 PSV too! You can really feel that it is hard to stick it in, but it fits both ways…

30. trecenters says:

Have already had to buy another for $17.99

ENOUGH SAID!

31. derek says:

easy…the ps logo goes to the front….it wont fit easely if plugged the other side…..
    first edition of the psvita and never had this problem…it’s a big complain about something that only requires to check where is the logo on the cable…

• wololo says:

Funny how so many people accept such an obvious flaw as if it was “ok”, from one of the biggest hardware manufacturers in the world. If Sony was a random Chinese company and this was some sort of cheap tablet, I wouldn’t complain.

I think the main reason I’m getting so many “why do you complain” comments is because the problem has been fixed for the US/EU release

• Aces says:

Hey wol, i got a jap release just to get it before the australian release date.
        Do you find that when you charge and play at the same time, the controls start tripping out and the vita starts doing random ***?
        Or is that just mine?

• VoidKeeper says:

@wololo I got a EU Vita, it’s not a launch model and I had this problem with it.

@derek That doesn’t make the slot and plug any less badly designed, if if fits the wrong way it’s badly designed end of story, the fact that the logo is there to guide you doesn’t make it ok for the plug to be incorrectly plugged in, if I wrecked my PSVita and they blamed me for not noticing the logo I would flip out! It would be like if I bought one of those baby toys with the shapes and the holes and some shaped would fit in the wrong holes, you just don’t DO that!

• StepS says:

wololo, I got a european vita and it happens for me as well 🙂

• derek says:

didn’t knew this wasn’t on the EU/US release…and you’re right

32. Sambo says:

That’s just plain stupidity. I have the launch day Vita and not once have I ever encountered this problem. It clearly only goes in one way.
    The opposite side appears forced and could possibly damage the connectors!

33. Redsabre says:

Does anybody know where to find ps vita isos or roms?

34. Redsabre says:

Has anybody try going into C:\Users\”username”\Documents\PS Vita\APP\3f029c9f3b43f84d and dragging that file for putting it up online. instead using ISO.

35. Redsabre says:

Just to say in my older comment that it worked for me.

36. Redsabre says:

Ok just to confirm that this only for digital downloads.

37. shagrath says:

I never read the manual so I never knew about the logo thing.
    I am a bit delicate in handling my new gadgets so I look at the plug before inserting it every time(like what you do with a USB cables).
    I believe it really is a flaw in the design. Memory cards etc. also have visual indicators but I believe they will never get in the wrong way. I will prolly get an OCD if I have to make sure about those things every time too.

38. ASD says:

I have a question .. but you couldn’t create an app (with a leak) with playstation Mobile Development Program. And then through this application hack the ps vita ??
    p.s