Heads up: Call of Duty Infinite Warfare Legacy Edition (PS4/XBO) is $49.99 (38% off) on Amazon Deal of the Day

(Video) PS Vita’s USB, the worst design ever?

A message for gamers as the holiday season is here:
Hey Folks, it is the shopping season and that means most of us will be buying gaming stuff in November and December. Wololo.net will be looking for the best deals and let you know about them. For example in July 2016, our twitter followers and mailing list subscribers were among the first to know about an Uncharted 4 Special edition deal for $19, a 75% discount at the time! Follow us on twitter to stay up to date. I also suggest to subscribe to our deals mailing list below for full deal updates. Note: this mailing list is mostly useful for people in the US.

We do not share your email with any third party

1. Yes says:

I dont think it is the worse design ever, but i have to admit i find it a bit weird that they allow the USB cable to be connected both ways into the Vita. I always remember to check if the Playstation icon on the plug is faced up when i connect it 🙂

2. Leires says:

When i came in here, i thought you were going to complain about the positioning, haha..I never ran into that issue. There’s a PS logo on the correct side of the USB (at least mine, not sure if all have that) so it’s not easy to accidentally plug in the wrong way for me. D: Also, Erwan, eh?

• Leires says:

Yeah..Wololo, in the video (watching it a second time) It has that logo, man..That’s like..Mixing up L and R headphone buds, not looking at em and then saying it’s bad design 😡

3. Xsly says:

I dont even see the point of them letting you plugin it in both ways but one doesn’t work. That was just a stupid idea.

4. Josh says:

Mine only fits in one way (UK) so they probably realised the design didn’t work and made it only fit one way.

5. starr says:

This entire post made me lol. Thanks for the morning laugh wololo. 🙂 I have never had this problem with my vita….but now that you’ve mentioned it, I know it’ll happen all the time. Haha:)

6. Anonymous says:

What really bothers me is that if you wanna charge, you need to turn off the PS Vita

Really? Every device that’s exists in this year and age can charge from USB without needing to compleatly turn off the device, that’s just atrocious.

7. blahblah says:

@ wololo

apply a thick sticker/label or a dot of hot melt glue or melt the connector abit as a marking. u r not gonna miss the connection even with ur eyes closed. 😀

8. Steph says:

you can actualy stick your USB cable into the Vita in reverse???

Mine never did!

What they have done with mine (i just tried to plug it in backwards again then :P) is they’ve added a groove onto both the cable and the Vita, so it will only ever plug in one way.

Still….. if Sony forgot that with the very first Vita’s…. Dude that’s just pathetic R&D!

9. Superman SP says:

I find the cartridge slot flap more annoying! Anybody agree?

• Steph says:

yes! you need nails! or a specialised opening tool or something!

Hey! The memory sticks and game cartridges go in both ways! another design flaw too 😀

10. DS_Marine says:

The new cable is just stupid. Another cable you need to be carrying around.
    ALSO the charger…It’s standard 5v usb, why can’t I use it to charge other USB devices (because that stupid notch it has)? I will just remove it with a cutter, but WHY I should need to do this.
    And the PSV won’t charge if plugged to the iphone charger (but a kodak charger I have DO works).

• Steph says:

Because Sony wants you to buy their brand name stuff, and not some “cheap” (cheap as in it costs slightly more than what it took to make it rather than production costs + brand name fee of 80%) generic product.

You can get the Sony cable to charge just from USB, you have to have the Vita TURNED OFF completely tho.

If you want it to charge properly you need to do some cabling work, see here : http://www.snapturtle.com/wp/2012/02/22/ps-vita-usb-charging-solved/

I just turn mine off to charge… and carry a USB battery charger in my bag just incase, it’s a Sony one tho so it works with itself…. :S

11. memkou says:

yeah, i made that mistake more than once… i tried to charge my vita, then i was wondering why my vita isn’t charging. i tried to unplug and replug the usb but it wasnt charging. i was worried i have no money to buy another power supply for vita. then i noticed, i plugged the usb in the wrong way. haha

• MacksG says:

Yeaa. its because they “thought” people would invest in the wireless charging docks, They exsist, but cost a hefty penny . they really should’ve tested this port. should have stayed using the newer usb UnervisalB, but they “wanted” fast and secure transfer. understandable. ~ they failed. i enjoy wifi transfers. its ftp, .. but has no options. i feel they should 100% open the vita to the public and sell Dev kits for 500$ 4g, 3g, unlocked. why? because not only would they make millions, everyone would be able to create and harvest games.

sure thered be problems, but wouldn’t you rather have freedom then stupid *** corprate gimmicks? … idk comment if you feel me, flame i’ll kill you.

• greyfox says:

plug it the wrong way??? how come?
      it won’t be plug in if it is in the wrong way…

12. papimax68 says:

I think we should be very foolish to make mistakes, have to read the instructions.

13. Aaron Jean says:

I never understood what all the fuss was about. Upside down, the plug is so difficult to push in that you’ll always realize it’s the wrong way.

Maybe it’s something they changed for the EU/NA models, though? I never saw the complaints after the Western launch, and the issue seemed redundant to me when I bought my NA Vita.

• Roland says:

Yea over in the states we haven’t had that problem (well none of the 5 people I know with a Vita have)

• wololo says:

Yeah, I’m pretty sure it’s an issue only with early JP models, based on the feedback I’ve received

• Ed says:

My US one goes in either way perfectly easy (that’s what she said)

and mine’s not that old, got it from the ‘buy a laptop and get a vita’ deal a few months ago

it drives me completely batshit because i think i put it in the wrong way basically 50% of the time. i’ve had to start looking at the cable to make sure i’m sticking it in ‘logo up,’ its so ridiculous

• thedicemaster says:

I tend to grab the connector itself when I insert it into my Vita.
          There are some very noticeable bumps on the back of the connector itself so I never really put it in the wrong way even if I plug it in while it’s dark in the room.

14. lLmim says:

what a stupid video… don’t say worst if u don’t know how to use.. stupid!!!

*** this article!!!

15. razor says:

Definitely one of the Biggest DESIGN FAIL!! what’s more unbelievable that it’s from Sony.

16. Albie85 says:

I’ve had my 3G vita from day 1 and I can only use one side but I never get it mixed up coz there’s a mark or a pic on the side it’s ment to plug in. I can’t double check coz I’m out but I’m pretty sure there’s an indication people

• Albie85 says:

Just got home and checked ps sign on the rite way so its not that bad it’s just people not checking before they plug in!

17. KirkD says:

Sony should have done a better job with the design, but it is not that hard to make sure the cable is plugged in the right way. At least they did put the PlayStation symbol on the side that should be facing up. With that you just need to pay attention to what you’re doing.

18. aerinas says:

I got my vita at launch here in the EU, and my cable only fits one way. But I agree this should’ve been tested :/

19. Albie85 says:

20. LTTP says:

This is fixed on the White vita :3
    Assassins creed one

21. Kyhassen says:

I still got my launch pre-order bundle Vita and i have had no issues… i have however did put the cord in the wrong way one day. i was *** at something about the vita and slammed it in not realizing… well it was the wrong way so i flipped it around and was fine.

22. maastersplinter says:

I have a US vita bought at launch and it only goes in one way. There are tabs/channels that won’t let you plug it in the wrong way.

• thedicemaster says:

those tabs are in all Vita cables, but they are too small so they often don’t work as well as they should.

23. HIMFan says:

Yeah. It won’t let me push it in the wrong way and I live in Kansas.

24. AntiHeadshot says:

i don’t get it … i tryed once plug it in wrong, but it was to thick! If i want to plug it in wrong i need to do it with force. Are there multiple versions?

25. Patrick81 says:

Interesting. I believe they already fixed that in newer models. Last month, i bought a white one that came with Assassins Creed and a black one with Call of Duty. I tried to push in the wrong way a bit harder. it just wont go in. Tried the black one… still cant. Its pretty clear to me that bundle ones are fixed. 🙂

26. Chezni says:

This happened to me as well until I noticed the PS symbol. Remember that it’s ENGRAVED into the plug though so you can feel if it’s facing the right direction before you penetrate it (sexually).

27. EzpadaZ says:

I never had that problem, i tried to plug the cable just like you did on the video and i cant xD

28. SIM sk says:

just put the cable into your vita with the ps logo upside..

29. makak1984 says:

Ok, I also make this mistake once 😉 but now before I plug USB first I am searching for side with logo on it it is simple to feel this little structure. But If someone want to improve this feeling try use one drop (spot) of glue when it dry, you never have this problem…

30. silkyskeeter says:

Mine doesnt have this issue. The 3G-Wifi model, I bought at NA launch, only plugs one way. Guessing this is a wifi only model issue.

31. n1nurt4 says:

Its funny how so many people here comment without reading the other comments, so basically its a bunch of users saying really similar things and it cracks me up to see the same statement just re-worded. It feels like those story arcs you get sometimes in tv shows where everybody’s stuck in a time loop… Does no one seriously pay attention, or do they just not care about spamming?

32. Kori says:

… mine is wifi but it plugs in only one way… for the record though, i use linux and it refuses to charge with it… and it refuses to charge with my friends ps3 (using the usb cable) … it only charges when the other end is plugged into a wall socket via an adapter (or the one that comes with the cable) OR plugged into my mum’s windows 7 computer… this annoys the *** out of me…

33. Flash_Falcon says:

I’ve plugged mine in backwards plenty of times as well. Annoying indeed but the one thing I really hate more is the fact that unless you modify a USB extension cable, you can’t plug your PSVita straight into a USB port to charge it. The modified extension cable makes it work right which means there goes ANOTHER cable to carry.

34. Karma Kontrol says:

Yup, same here. ACIII:L bundle, and I’ve had no issues.
    But, I’ve also never attempted to plug it in wrong, as I just make sure I see the PS logo.
    n1nurt4, big deal. Obviously he doesn’t mind the comments or he’d disable them. I’m sure he’s got the power. xD

• n1nurt4 says:

Really it wasn’t in reference to wololo, but the users making the comments. Your response sort of answers my question, so thanks.

35. DeadPixel99 says:

I have two launch models (one 3g, one wifi) and i have never had this problem.

36. JonathanH says:

I have a habbit of putting it in backwards too.

Mine bends every time I plug it in….

Half of the copper wire is exposed urggghh lol.

37. tomo says:

mines a wifi eu model and mine goes in both ways at first i thought it wouldnt charge then seen the logo on one side

38. jacinto says:

FIRETRUCK!!

39. what? says:

i dont have that problem … its just cannot fit in if plug wrong way ,,,asian version

40. airjer says:

Out of habit I look for the logo before I even try to plug it in.