(Video) PS Vita’s USB, the worst design ever?

You may also like...

1. TheDeadlyTwo says:

Interestingly enough, it appears that it’s absolutely impossible to place the charger cable into the WHITE PS Vita backwards. I tried intentionally after seeing this and just couldn’t get it to fit in there.

I guess they figured out the possibility of doing this and fixed it when they started releasing the AC3 bundle.

2. HerperOfManyDerps says:

Lol actually I haven’t plugged it in wrong yet ’cause I just look for the little logo first, but then again I can’t put it in wrong since I have the white Vita and I’d have to really force it in

3. Mikudayo says:

Hmm well there’s a reason why the dock exists, it helps to connect the vita on an easy way, its miserable 10 bucks and it comes with a line out direct, why suffer plugin the vita in the air.

4. GuitaristMatt says:

It doesn’t charge very well through the PS3 either

5. Slimjim3k says:

I wonder if it would be possible to hard mod a Mini USB port on this thing like how you could mod an original xbox for using thumb drives on it.

6. TheSpillmonkey says:

I have a release date vita (USA), and it really only fits one way. There are small guide tabs on the cable that fit with grooves on the vita itself. It probably COULD fit the other way if i forced it, but there is easily enough resistance to know “don’t do that”.. on my unit anyway.

7. Red says:

Come on, guys. It’s not hard. The cord doesn’t go in very easily when it’s upside down. Even in the video. At the end. He had to like, force it in. His hands shook as he was doing it.
    Maybe I’m the only one in the word that DOESN’T have issues with this? >_>

8. neil says:

I use a dock so I run into no problems haha

9. Tonch says:

I never had a problem with this really– I always notice the “PS” logo on the top of the connector, so I don’t think I’ve ever put it in backwards. As far as I remember, anyway.

10. Bob says:

never happens to me

11. Tony says:

Holy *** Wololo. I came here for the Vita stuff, stayed here for the articles and Wagic. Thanks my friend.

12. Bronze_sword says:

I got the 1st edition middle in america, I pulls the usb in and you have to put a little force to make out go in upside down

13. ray says:

Whaaaaat? is it possiable to plug it upside down? haven’t notice that yet
    u must be use the CMA very often, so that the socket getting lose.

and Thank u for ur effort for homebrew&anything on PSVITA

14. Mars says:

I’ve never had that problem. Can’t plug the cable in upside down at all in mine.

15. Chozzehnwahn says:

I hav a first edition vita and i do that all the time. Its quite annoying actually

16. Lightning says:

Clearley the guy in the video is a ***, just insert the cable with the ps symbol facing up it really isn’t that hard…hope this guy damages his vita’s charging port and when he breaks it he’ll be regretting doing this to the vita, just sayin

• fingloi_x3 says:

I agree with you,
      the video speaks to itself…
      sometimes wololo is a ***…
      he should know the reason why sony put its logo on only 1 side of the cable.

17. Frank says:

Check the logo dude… You’re the only one having that problem I believe or you’re always plugging your PS Vita in the dark :)

18. yeah yea says:

ive also remembered one time that i have charge my vita when the light was turned off, i didnt realized that the cable was been inserted in the wrong way thus the vita was not charge by morning, lol

19. Lawthugg says:

feel for the logo. even a blind man can feel the logo!

“Charlie Brown voice”… GOOD GRIEF!!!

20. bcrew1375 says:

Strange, I got my Vita on the US launch day (February 22nd), but the back of the USB cable has the corners and middle jutting out slightly to prevent it being plugged in backwards.

21. nico says:

Is there any difference between different version? I wonder… I’m in north America.The Vita came out like few months late over here. Maybe they first lunched it in some countries with that kind of lack design? And fixed when in north America. Because the unit I got at the first released has no problem at all.

22. kuagelo says:

I think this one’s only for older units. I got mine on October last year, it won’t allow me to plug it upside down.

23. konamigood says:

That’s why Apple introduce Thunder connector

24. k3nn says:

i would have to agree with wololo on this, it does seem to be able to plug in both ways, most of the connectors i know has only 1 way to be plugged in (hdmi, usb, et). this is a fail from Sony; they should have included a notch somewhere.my unit is from apr 2012

25. Bromanbro says:

The problem was only with Japanese first gen units. It was fixed by the NA release.

• TelcoLou says:

Uhm no. I had the same problem a couple of times; I noticed it wasn’t charging and said “***” several times until I switched it so the logo was facing up. NA version.

My larger gripe is how EASILY the rubber sheathing splits; I had to get a new USB cord-section due to it splitting, als gripe-worthy: IT’S ON THE BOTTOM, and juts out really far, so I can’t charge it while playing in bed! >.<

26. Veskgar says:

I preferred the USB connection on top of the PSP. I often use the PS Vita while its got the USB plugged in and its a little awkward. Just a small gripe really. Overall, I’m pleased with the design.

27. wraddek says:

haha, I always just make sure that the “ps” logo is facing up to avoid this problem

28. suicidal_banana says:

I dont have this issue either, though the connector does look pretty shoddy, i guess i could force it in upside down, but so far ive not had that happen yet.

29. TioSolid says:

Same problem here, this *** me off so much too, but reading the previous comments it looks like a regional problem. I have a Japanese 3G Vita (like you do, probably) and the cable fits both sides. My friend has a brazillian model and the cable is blocked from fitting the wrong side

30. ShogunzX9 says:

Definitely depends on the regional type of connector…mine is only fitted one way….all in all, i have no problem with the cable ^_^

31. mangbhoy says:

Fortunately enough I don’t have this issue.
    That does suck.

My Vita model is a PCH-1006

• psvita-freak says:

the the number 6 is a coutry code… my vita is an 1004, an dutch model… the 100 is the model type…
      At the psp you can see this too, the 100* version was a fat, the 200* was a slim, the 300* was an psp slim&light.

(*=your coutry code)

32. dem0n_uk says:

when i got it out the box very first time having a vita in my hand i thought great the cable goes in both ways.

But soon worked out it only charges or connects to ps3/pc plugged in one way.

Now i look for the little playstation symbol on the connector before i shove it in.

33. PS3 says:

I want a good hack for the vita frostegater sucks i want dark_alex

34. Dust Junky says:

I still don’t uderstand why institutions like Sony use proprietary dock connections (like the Vita’s) only to directly connect it to USB??? Surly that makes no sense, why not just use a industry standard like mini or micro USB? Wouldn’t that make the overall production costs per unit cheap for the consumer as well?

35. whatever says:

never had this issue

36. dahui says:

My US Vita purchased last March has a keyed USB slot and cable, so I haven’t had an issue plugging it in. It very well may be, as a previous commenter said, region specific.

37. zorrodood says:

you really have to force the plug in the hole to get it in upside down. it fits, but you should notice that it isn’t supposed to go this way.

• wololo says:

On my model it fits perfectly and I don’t feel any resistance whatsoever

• Vitality777 says:

Same here, no friction/resistance whatsoever. It just fits perfectly in both ways. My Vita is a very early (1 week after launch date) EU device (bought in the Netherlands).

38. Klowned says:

hi i have a little question when i try to run snes emulator on vita black screen and nothing after intro is it because i have rom in smc format or should i have them in zip file??

39. loverali says:

Mine can go upside down but with force.normally before using force i understand that I’m plugging it the wrong way.and just to be sure i look at the Sony logo.Actually i didn’t expect it from you.

• wololo says:

As it has been discussed several time, Launch JP models have a design flaw. I don’t have to force at all in order to plug it the wrong way. I also don’t want to have to think about it twice when I plug a cable.

40. Vitality777 says:

Besides the lack of good titles, this is the 1 thing that’s been bothering me since day 1. I always put the plug in upside down. I wonder how this could have slipped through the quality check. I just hope my port will never break because of this crappy design error.

41. pessimist pete says:

I’ve never plugged it in wrong. It takes all of 1-2 seconds to see where the PS logo is on to plug it in correctly.

42. jesus says:

i´m agree the worst of course

43. DarkVolkaN says:

It really works with my german April 2012 PSV too! You can really feel that it is hard to stick it in, but it fits both ways…

44. trecenters says:

Have already had to buy another for $17.99

45. derek says:

easy…the ps logo goes to the front….it wont fit easely if plugged the other side…..
    first edition of the psvita and never had this problem…it’s a big complain about something that only requires to check where is the logo on the cable…

• wololo says:

Funny how so many people accept such an obvious flaw as if it was “ok”, from one of the biggest hardware manufacturers in the world. If Sony was a random Chinese company and this was some sort of cheap tablet, I wouldn’t complain.

I think the main reason I’m getting so many “why do you complain” comments is because the problem has been fixed for the US/EU release

• VoidKeeper says:

@wololo I got a EU Vita, it’s not a launch model and I had this problem with it.

@derek That doesn’t make the slot and plug any less badly designed, if if fits the wrong way it’s badly designed end of story, the fact that the logo is there to guide you doesn’t make it ok for the plug to be incorrectly plugged in, if I wrecked my PSVita and they blamed me for not noticing the logo I would flip out! It would be like if I bought one of those baby toys with the shapes and the holes and some shaped would fit in the wrong holes, you just don’t DO that!

• StepS says:

wololo, I got a european vita and it happens for me as well :)

• derek says:

didn’t knew this wasn’t on the EU/US release…and you’re right

46. Sambo says:

That’s just plain stupidity. I have the launch day Vita and not once have I ever encountered this problem. It clearly only goes in one way.
    The opposite side appears forced and could possibly damage the connectors!

47. Redsabre says:

Does anybody know where to find ps vita isos or roms?

48. Redsabre says:

Has anybody try going into C:\Users\”username”\Documents\PS Vita\APP\3f029c9f3b43f84d and dragging that file for putting it up online. instead using ISO.

49. Redsabre says:

Just to say in my older comment that it worked for me.

50. Redsabre says:

Ok just to confirm that this only for digital downloads.

51. shagrath says:

I never read the manual so I never knew about the logo thing.
    I am a bit delicate in handling my new gadgets so I look at the plug before inserting it every time(like what you do with a USB cables).
    I believe it really is a flaw in the design. Memory cards etc. also have visual indicators but I believe they will never get in the wrong way. I will prolly get an OCD if I have to make sure about those things every time too.

52. ASD says:

I have a question .. but you couldn’t create an app (with a leak) with playstation Mobile Development Program. And then through this application hack the ps vita ??
    sorry for my English

53. Klowned says:

Hey don’t read n1nurt4 in through the Comment Box

54. bronz_sword says:

has anyone noticed that uno is STILL on us psn?

55. zoraktorok says:

Hey, guess what? My vita has been shipped off again… this time due to either the power port or the internal battery I’m guessing the battery , thing can be charged for 16 hours and have about half charge that lasts 30 minutes… NYKON battery grip won’t charge it fast enough. Second one I’ve had so a 8 month lifespan with no way of opening it up to change it means its going to be 120 per service call after the first year..

btW, i tried 2 diffrent usb cables ( frontwards and back):->
    USB power suply off/on
    Plugged to pc/ps3/power
    NKYON battery grip
    Format system.

Oh well, I guess i’ll get another NEW one and get to set it up as well…. just better have 2.02 on it :->

56. Inali says:

I have two launch day 3G vita’s, and I *tried* plugging in the USB cable upside down. Doesn’t fit. You people are clearly shoving it in with excessive force and breaking it!

• Inali says:

Launch day NTSC-U, USA model!

• VoidKeeper says:

No, we’re not, look into your slot, is it a perfect rectangle with the pins in the middle, if so, refer to your plug and see that it’s a PERFECT rectangle, there’s some grooves on the plug, but not on the slot, there’s NOTHING preventing the plug from being put in it reversed. At least not on my PSVita there isn’t.

57. ragna says:

i cant even plug in the USB cable backwards… i dont know if sony revised the vita (i have the white one from the ac3 bundle) but there are 3 grooves on the plug where i can only plug it in one way (the correct way)

58. felly117 says:

I got a PS vita at launch in Japan and this happens to me all the time.

59. Yamiroqaou says:

I don´t think so, actually it seems the best for me…

60. Josh says:

lol i do this all the time it sucks when u do it to charge it just to find out the next day its still dead and u cant take it out with u…. -_-

61. wtf says:

proprietaty usb designs ftw? nope

62. Sakuryu says:

Got mine from eBay, zero problems so far 😛

63. Aardy says:

Ive never plugged it in upside down before. BUT I do hate how the plug is on the bottom of the unit. I want it up on the top, so I can plug it in and play at the same time. With the plug on the bottom, either the cord is bent in a 180 degree angle, or the cord is running between my legs. To me, that is the worst part of the design.

64. Erik says:

I hate the fact that when the battery runs out, you cant just plug in and keep playing. rather, you need to first charge the thing for a few minutes…

65. Edzo says:

ive never put it backwards. the logo makes it very difficult to put in wrong imo. never checked on my japanese vita as i just use the same u.s launch cable

66. t3 says:

Initially I don’t think this can be done but as with all little connectors surrounded by thin flexible metal shields. over time the shield loosens allowing the hack job key grooves to fit where they shouldn’t.

1st *** that says I forced it gets the dunce award because I fix computers for a living & know better. Had this been a standard mini or micro USB connector we’d not be having this conversation. heck if they had at least key notched a solid corner it’d be better than this kludge.

67. riyaz says:

lololol umad bro?

68. n1nurt4 says:

Hey, don’t track mud in through the kitchen.