(Video) PS Vita’s USB, the worst design ever?

psvita-usbOk, please tell me I’m not the only one who’s been annoyed by that thing since the day I got my Vita.

You know how innovative hardware companies like Apple designed cables that almost plug themselves into the device, or stuff that can charge without even being plugged in, or, recently, data cables that can be plugged both ways without any issue?

Well, the Vita has such a great system, with one minor detail: it’s not actually a feature, it’s a design bug, oh, and obviously, one of the sides will not work. I heard this issue was fixed with recent models (not sure they fixed the cable or the units…). But, please, tell me, am I completely dumb, or is everybody else constantly running into the same issue?

A typical session will go like this:

• Plug in cable to PC and Vita
  • Run the Content Manager
  • Content Manager complains that I am not connected to any computer
  • Check that the content Manager client runs fine on the PC
  • Make sure that I didn’t mess up my OpenCMA install
  • Check that the cable is actually plugged into the PC
  • Reboot the console
  • Try again…
  • Realize the cable was plugged in the wrong way
  • Yell some 4 letter-word, and promise myself I’ll write a blog entry about how a multi million dollars hardware company can’t even get a cable design right. Well, at least that one’s done.

Hopefully the video below will show you I’m not completely making that up… How wasn’t that tested?

1. memkou’s avatar

yeah, i made that mistake more than once… i tried to charge my vita, then i was wondering why my vita isn’t charging. i tried to unplug and replug the usb but it wasnt charging. i was worried i have no money to buy another power supply for vita. then i noticed, i plugged the usb in the wrong way. haha

1. MacksG’s avatar

Yeaa. its because they “thought” people would invest in the wireless charging docks, They exsist, but cost a hefty penny . they really should’ve tested this port. should have stayed using the newer usb UnervisalB, but they “wanted” fast and secure transfer. understandable. ~ they failed. i enjoy wifi transfers. its ftp, .. but has no options. i feel they should 100% open the vita to the public and sell Dev kits for 500$ 4g, 3g, unlocked. why? because not only would they make millions, everyone would be able to create and harvest games.

sure thered be problems, but wouldn’t you rather have freedom then stupid bullshit corprate gimmicks? … idk comment if you feel me, flame i’ll kill you.

2. greyfox’s avatar

plug it the wrong way??? how come?
      it won’t be plug in if it is in the wrong way…

2. papimax68’s avatar

I think we should be very foolish to make mistakes, have to read the instructions.

3. Aaron Jean’s avatar

I never understood what all the fuss was about. Upside down, the plug is so difficult to push in that you’ll always realize it’s the wrong way.

Maybe it’s something they changed for the EU/NA models, though? I never saw the complaints after the Western launch, and the issue seemed redundant to me when I bought my NA Vita.

1. Roland’s avatar

Yea over in the states we haven’t had that problem (well none of the 5 people I know with a Vita have)

1. tom’s avatar

Never had a problem, wont go in the other way.I have the assassins creed bundle vita

2. wololo’s avatar

Yeah, I’m pretty sure it’s an issue only with early JP models, based on the feedback I’ve received

1. Ed’s avatar

My US one goes in either way perfectly easy (that’s what she said)

and mine’s not that old, got it from the ‘buy a laptop and get a vita’ deal a few months ago

it drives me completely batshit because i think i put it in the wrong way basically 50% of the time. i’ve had to start looking at the cable to make sure i’m sticking it in ‘logo up,’ its so ridiculous

1. thedicemaster’s avatar

I tend to grab the connector itself when I insert it into my Vita.
          There are some very noticeable bumps on the back of the connector itself so I never really put it in the wrong way even if I plug it in while it’s dark in the room.

4. lLmim’s avatar

what a stupid video… don’t say worst if u don’t know how to use.. stupid!!!

fuck this article!!!

1. riyaz’s avatar

lololol umad bro?

1. >_>’s avatar

He mad. XD

5. razor’s avatar

Definitely one of the Biggest DESIGN FAIL!! what’s more unbelievable that it’s from Sony.

1. Yukon’s avatar

Mine doesn’t do this.

1. razor’s avatar

Mine doesn’t either. This was among the first released Vitas.

6. Albie85’s avatar

I’ve had my 3G vita from day 1 and I can only use one side but I never get it mixed up coz there’s a mark or a pic on the side it’s ment to plug in. I can’t double check coz I’m out but I’m pretty sure there’s an indication people

1. Albie85’s avatar

Just got home and checked ps sign on the rite way so its not that bad it’s just people not checking before they plug in!

7. KirkD’s avatar

Sony should have done a better job with the design, but it is not that hard to make sure the cable is plugged in the right way. At least they did put the PlayStation symbol on the side that should be facing up. With that you just need to pay attention to what you’re doing.

8. aerinas’s avatar

I got my vita at launch here in the EU, and my cable only fits one way. But I agree this should’ve been tested :/

9. Albie85’s avatar

1. Albie85’s avatar

I always check coz it cost a lot of money

10. LTTP’s avatar

This is fixed on the White vita :3
    Assassins creed one

11. Kyhassen’s avatar

I still got my launch pre-order bundle Vita and i have had no issues… i have however did put the cord in the wrong way one day. i was pissed at something about the vita and slammed it in not realizing… well it was the wrong way so i flipped it around and was fine.

12. maastersplinter’s avatar

I have a US vita bought at launch and it only goes in one way. There are tabs/channels that won’t let you plug it in the wrong way.

1. thedicemaster’s avatar

those tabs are in all Vita cables, but they are too small so they often don’t work as well as they should.

13. HIMFan’s avatar

Yeah. It won’t let me push it in the wrong way and I live in Kansas.

14. AntiHeadshot’s avatar

i don’t get it … i tryed once plug it in wrong, but it was to thick! If i want to plug it in wrong i need to do it with force. Are there multiple versions?

15. Patrick81’s avatar

Interesting. I believe they already fixed that in newer models. Last month, i bought a white one that came with Assassins Creed and a black one with Call of Duty. I tried to push in the wrong way a bit harder. it just wont go in. Tried the black one… still cant. Its pretty clear to me that bundle ones are fixed. :)

1. patrick81’s avatar

by the way, both of them aren’t 3G

16. Chezni’s avatar

This happened to me as well until I noticed the PS symbol. Remember that it’s ENGRAVED into the plug though so you can feel if it’s facing the right direction before you penetrate it (sexually).

17. EzpadaZ’s avatar

I never had that problem, i tried to plug the cable just like you did on the video and i cant xD

18. SIM sk’s avatar

just put the cable into your vita with the ps logo upside..

19. makak1984’s avatar

Ok, I also make this mistake once ;) but now before I plug USB first I am searching for side with logo on it it is simple to feel this little structure. But If someone want to improve this feeling try use one drop (spot) of glue when it dry, you never have this problem…

20. silkyskeeter’s avatar

Mine doesnt have this issue. The 3G-Wifi model, I bought at NA launch, only plugs one way. Guessing this is a wifi only model issue.

21. n1nurt4’s avatar

Its funny how so many people here comment without reading the other comments, so basically its a bunch of users saying really similar things and it cracks me up to see the same statement just re-worded. It feels like those story arcs you get sometimes in tv shows where everybody’s stuck in a time loop… Does no one seriously pay attention, or do they just not care about spamming?

22. Kori’s avatar

… mine is wifi but it plugs in only one way… for the record though, i use linux and it refuses to charge with it… and it refuses to charge with my friends ps3 (using the usb cable) … it only charges when the other end is plugged into a wall socket via an adapter (or the one that comes with the cable) OR plugged into my mum’s windows 7 computer… this annoys the fuck out of me…

23. Flash_Falcon’s avatar

I’ve plugged mine in backwards plenty of times as well. Annoying indeed but the one thing I really hate more is the fact that unless you modify a USB extension cable, you can’t plug your PSVita straight into a USB port to charge it. The modified extension cable makes it work right which means there goes ANOTHER cable to carry.

24. Karma Kontrol’s avatar

Yup, same here. ACIII:L bundle, and I’ve had no issues.
    But, I’ve also never attempted to plug it in wrong, as I just make sure I see the PS logo.
    n1nurt4, big deal. Obviously he doesn’t mind the comments or he’d disable them. I’m sure he’s got the power. xD

1. n1nurt4’s avatar

Really it wasn’t in reference to wololo, but the users making the comments. Your response sort of answers my question, so thanks.

25. DeadPixel99’s avatar

I have two launch models (one 3g, one wifi) and i have never had this problem.

26. JonathanH’s avatar

I have a habbit of putting it in backwards too.

Mine bends every time I plug it in….

Half of the copper wire is exposed urggghh lol.

27. tomo’s avatar

mines a wifi eu model and mine goes in both ways at first i thought it wouldnt charge then seen the logo on one side

28. jacinto’s avatar

FIRETRUCK!!

29. what?’s avatar

i dont have that problem … its just cannot fit in if plug wrong way ,,,asian version

30. airjer’s avatar

Out of habit I look for the logo before I even try to plug it in.

31. TheZekku’s avatar

oh your not alone i completely despise the usb plug for the vita i mean cmon sony just use a standard usb for the vita do you really need to make loyal fans buy special plugs for quite possibly the biggest failure of a console you have ever made.
    Do you really need more money?
    i swear sometimes i think about sucking it up and just selling the vita and buying a psp again -_-

32. jd20dog’s avatar

my vita and psp go are the only devices i have that havent had cable problems
    my ipad has been replaced 8 times, damn piece of over priced crap there

if your having issue with plugging it in backwards, you just need to mark it better, like use some elmores glue to make a bump on the front of the plug so you can feel the front

ive never plugged it in backward yet

33. GlueGun’s avatar

i think sony balls when they see a firmware changer
    bloging about the ps vita, because you cant insert it the other way…. (A Sony designer, do’s it fit, you got it the wrong way xD) it’s just a change to the input, why cant we
    change like the other ones? i always ask my self…. is it
    because there Hygiene or NOT Have it for others?, besides sony dont you have the revenue at the trillion? release the ps vita
    signed execution please! i wanna play N64 Portable!.
    and like 3gig downloads are boring because you change to the other what 2.5 gigabyte downloads? it looooooong!!! and gameplays are short, not much environment to go to.

34. JeoWay (Jerrett O'Quinn)’s avatar

Now we know your name is Erwan. :)

35. asmith906’s avatar

I’ve never had this problem. Mine has to be forced in the other way. It’s really not that hard to figure out which way to plug in your usb.

36. Yololo’s avatar

The problem I have is keeping it upright while watching Neflix or videos. Which is seldom.

37. wololi’s avatar

If y ou where stupide wololo what should we do forme y ou mothherfuuckef ???

1. n1nurt4’s avatar

HAahaha. If that was supposed to be an insult to wololo, you failed miserably in its execution.

2. Stiffeno’s avatar

If you are going to insult someone, at least be smart enough to write a coherent message!

38. ???’s avatar

this is a rant uidiot!!!

39. >_>’s avatar

Yeah Sony always has to be special and use proprietary designs in each new product. In any case I just make sure the PS symbol is facing up and I have no problems.

40. I'm Overflooow’s avatar

:) . . Erwan is your name wololo?

41. Anderson’s avatar

I just got a brand new Vita, and the cable WILL NOT go in if I try to do it backwards, so it must be an issue with earlier models.

42. EJ’s avatar

Never really had that much of a issue with that, mostly just my own mistakes and not double checking, which I still hate though. I wish it was just like any other USB or at least PSP type of hook-up and be able to charge my Vita with it plugged into the comp.

43. red’s avatar

have u guys noticed its the same cable from the psp go?

44. kupomogli’s avatar

I haven’t had a problem with the PS Vita’s AC/USB as you speak of it. Not once, but I’ve heard people who have.

Though I don’t like it much because, just like the PSP, when using it as a charger, it’s on the bottom of the device itself. Being on the bottom of the device the cord ends up getting more in your way, also not allowing you to be as far away from the plug as possible because it has to reach to the opposite side. If it was at the top of the device, it would be hanging off the back, away from where you’re playing, you’d also be able to play from further away, not too much further, just a couple/few more inches, but still, further. It wouldn’t waste two to three inches of cord going under the system. If you were playing the Vita upside down, then it’d be better designed, but the Vita isn’t meant to be played upside down.

45. Luis E Alvarado’s avatar

I have the First Edition Bundle (3G), and I have plugged it in wrong, once or twice, but I tend to realize it is pretty quickly.
    It is a design issue, since they did fix it with the newer bundles, but that’s what you get when you are a (somewhat) early adopter (japan got it first).

46. Chipokomon’s avatar

Wololo is ugly but he got nice looking hands. ^_-

1. wololo’s avatar

Exactly, that’s why I rarely show my face :)

47. Unmolested Ex-Catholic’s avatar

Every device in the world has some kind of flaw. lol

48. ChemDog’s avatar

The first time I plugged my Vita in it was the wrong way, and I was freaking out that I was going to damage something.
    Really bad design, they should have just went with either way works.

49. stavrosomo’s avatar

Relly bad design! Happens many times on my friends PSVita! It is really annoying when you get problem because the cable is plugged in the wrong way. My friend bought the PSVita few days ago but still have the same problem!

50. David’s avatar

This has happened to me before but it is kind of obvious, first you can feel it when plugging it in because it doesn’t go in as smoothly. And I would not have checked all that stuff you did, the cable on the vita would of been the first place I looked. I also agree though that they should of made it to where it can only go in one way.

· 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 ·