UNO Exploit: Installing homebrews and Isos on Vita 2.02 with TN Menu

Preparing and installing homebrews on your Vita for the recently released 2.02 CEF port by Frostegater is not an easy task. All menus have different ways of handling the installation packages, but, more importantly, Sony made the Vita in a way that copying anything to it is almost impossible, which is why the copy steps always look so convoluted. Tools exist to make your life easier, but here is a how to to understand how it’s done by yourself. I promise, once you’ve done it once, it all becomes simpler.

Note: all the steps below work with all versions of TN’s CEF and TN Menu, but the example are taken from Uno’s exploit on the 2.02 firmware (more precisely, with the European version of the exploit).

1.A Preparing Homebrews

The homebrews we will run on the 2.02 Uno exploit are PSP homebrews. Most PSP homebrews will run out of the box on your Vita with the UNO exploit, but you might often need to package them in a ZIP archive (unless you got a friendly download link which already has it pre-packaged for you.) . Note that in some cases you will have to create the ZIP archive yourself, for example most emulators will not ship with any rom, and you will have to add those yourself to your ZIP file.

Before you start!

The basic thing to understand is that the Vita will not accept any filename. The files you can copy to your Vita with the content manager need to be all uppercase, the “body” of the filename (anything before the “.”) needs to be 8 characters or less, and the extension (anything after the “.”) needs to be 3 characters. Accepted characters are also limited, so I suggest you li,it yourself to letters and numbers. In particular, do not put spaces in the file names.

For example, WAGIC.ZIP is good, but Wagic.zip is not (not uppercase), WAGIC.zip is not (not uppercase), Wagic the homebrew.zip is not (not uppercase, and more than 8 characters before the “.”). A very typical mistake for windows users is that your file will end up being named WAGIC.ZIP.zip because Windows will by default hide the extension for you. You will see it named “WAGIC.ZIP” but in reality the name will be WAGIC.ZIP.zip, which will not work.

When you have a problem in the filename, the vita will silently not copy it, and will not give you any form of error message. The only way you have to realize you made a mistake at this point is if the size of your savedata on the memory stick is smaller that what you’d expect.

Read the “before you start” section above 5 times, because this is the root cause of 99.9% of the issues people have installing homebrew with CEF.

I’m not kidding, read the paragraphs above!

Ok, so, let’s move on to prepare your homebrew. All homebrews have an EBOOT.PBP file. You need to create folders so that that EBOOT.PBP will end in a series of subfolders PSP/GAME/[your homebrew game]/EBOOT.PBP.

For example, PSP/GAME/WAGIC/EBOOT.PBP.

Don’t forget of course to include all the files from the homebrew in that folder structure. Once this is done, zip the “PSP” folder you created, and name it whatever you like, following the rules I described above (all uppercase, less than 8 characters, etc…). I personally suggest to use the “store” option for creating your zip, but I believe TN Menu handles all formats of compression. Do not use an other format of file that you would rename in .ZIP, this will obviously not work.

Once your ZIP is ready, copy it to the UNO exploit savedata folder in your CMA folder on your computer. It will look like PSAVEDATA/[random letters and numbers]/NPEH000DATA02 (this might vary depending on your exploit).

hbinstall

Preparing and zipping homebrews for TN CEF on 2.02

1.B Preparing Isos

Preparing isos and cso files follows the same naming conventions as the homebrews above, and you have to put the files in your UNO savedata folder just like for homebrews above, but you don’t ZIP them. Instead, you copy them “as is” to your UNO savedata, but keep in mind that the filename body must be 8 characters or less, and the filename must be all uppercase.

uno 2.02 Vita iso naming

Iso naming convention for TN CEF 2.02

2. Copying your prepared Homebrews/isos to the Vita

Copying stuff to your Vita is done using the Content Manager. We recommend you use OpenCMA to avoid bad surprises. To do this, you will connect your Vita to your computer, run the Content Manager like you would usually do to copy PSP Savegames to your Vita, and copy over your Uno savedata.

At this point, your UNO savedata contains two types of things: the exploit required to run CEF, but also your homebrews and iso files. You can have as many homebrews and iso files as you want in this folder, as long as they follow the naming rules described above. Also note that you will likely repeat this process several times, and that it is not necessary to keep in the UNO savedata isos/homebrews you have already installed. As a matter of fact, it is better to delete them from your Uno savedata on your computer to avoid copying them once again next time.

The Vita will most likely ask you if you want to overwrite the existing UNO savedata, and this is ok.

One typical mistake there is that some people will delete some files critical to the UNO exploit by manipulating the UNO savedata. If this happens, the best is simply to redownload the UNO exploit and start from scratch :)

copy-uno-savegame-vita

Copy your homebrews to the Vita with the Uno 2.02 Vita exploit

3. Extract and run the games

At this point your homebrews are in zip form, on your memory stick, and need to be extracted before they can be used. The isos, them, are in their “final” form, but need to be moved by TN Menu in order to be used.

Of course TN Menu provides functionality to do both of those. Simply select the homebrew/iso you want to install, and press X. The homebrew will then be extracted. To run an installed homebrew/iso, press X as well, it will simply run. The TN menu interface is relatively simple so there shouldn’t be any issue.

Tn-menu-uno-install-homebrew

Extracting and running homebrews with TN Menu on the Uno exploit (vita 2.02)

Tn-menu-uno-install-iso

Installing ISOS on TN Menu with the UNO Vita 2.02 exploit

4. Troubleshooting and alternatives

If you don’t see your homebrews zips, or isos in TN Menu, the most likely reason is that you messed up the naming convention of your zip files or isos. More unlikely, but it happens again: make sure you copied your homebrews/isos in the exploit’s savedata, and not in an unrelated savedata (this technique used to work for example with VHBL, and might work with alternate menus for CEF, but not with TN Menu as I type this).

It is also possible to copy homebrews with FTP For Vita. This is much more convenient that the whole technique described above, as you don’t need to zip anything, etc… but this also assumes you have FTP For Vita up and running, and a wifi router.

Please note that we do not support piracy. Asking for or providing psp iso download links will get your comments deleted and your account banned.

1. XDarkMario’s avatar

every time i try to install a homebrew it pops p saying would like to extract the zip? i click yes ant then the game does not install and the zip is gone

1. XDarkMario’s avatar

never mind i forgot to make the zip in psp\game/(homebrew)

2. Jake’s avatar

Thanks to all who helped in making this hack :D
    I just have one question: When you are trying to put more games on the vita do you have to overwrite the other games because that makes it take even longer

3. ghassan’s avatar

please I NEED VIDEO please

1. Pan’s avatar

same here bro, i feel your pain is so confusing for new people :(

2. shad0wpr0xy’s avatar

Why do you “need” video? Just read the instructions and follow them step by step. After you do that go read a book. :P

4. d’s avatar

Say if we had like 20 isos and 5 emulators all running good on the tnb menu 1.0.1, and we wanted to add just one more game, we would add our new iso to the psavedata and cma all the 21 isos and 5 emulators over to the vita, but when we overwrite the uno save data, do we have to extract all the 21 isos again ..? Is there an easier way to get around that so we can just extract the new iso only while having all our other stuff ready to play?

1. d’s avatar

Sorry, I just realized the guy above me ask the same question.

2. Vita_User’s avatar

@ d

If you had 20 isos and 5 emulators and you wanted to add another you wouldn’t need to add everything again. Once isos or homebrew have been extracted / installed on your Vita, they are copied / extracted to your Ps Vita memory stick until you manually remove them. If you wanted to add another you would only copy the new iso into your savedata exploit folder. The only way you would have to add them all again would be if you forgot to extract / install them within the Tnc or accidentally deleted them.

Remember, once you have installed something in the ecfw, you don’t need to worry about it, it stays on the memory stick!

5. FIXED’s avatar

IF MENU FAILED TO LOAD BECAUSE U TRIED TO DELETE OR EXTRACT A FILE, now the menu is screwed with black screen!!!!!!!!!! If ati is an extract problem, copy over the same extract folder zip that screwed, now you will have two icons that are the same when the menu loads. Since you can not delete the file otherwise it will get stuck and screw the menu, just copy over the savedata again this time without the file you want to delete. If you have problem with extracting or moving files because of not enough memory, use “psp filer 6.6″ emulator to unzip or move files.

6. qwerty’s avatar

when ever i put the iso in the save data folder, the exploit wont work and I get an error. once I re exploit it, it works but I cant put the iso on. what is the problem?

1. JC3Fresh’s avatar

same thing is happening to me too, hopefully wololo can show it to fostergate so it can get fixed

2. JC3Fresh’s avatar

I found a fix, convert the iso into a cso and it’ll work.

7. jdshnugles’s avatar

Thank you guys a lot, thank you all, I’m so glad I got it working, it was pretty simple when I got myself on the right track. :D

8. k3nn’s avatar

wow, in the 2 days since i got CEF, i’ve been hooked on Wagic. at 1st i was really f@cking up because it’s not noob friendly like the PC Magic: the gathering was. eventually, i’m winning now, because i’ve basically created a good deck :D

9. Paolo’s avatar

Hello i do all the instruction but the uno game is not appearing after i copy it….

- I install CMA 5
    - Then i download the uno exploit for 2.02 & put the Wagic game & named it WAGIC.ZIP & put it in the uno

BUT STILL the uno icon is not there? please help anybody

1. yeoghan’s avatar

You have to purchase the actual UNO in PSN :-)

2. Paolo’s avatar

Problem fix

1. Faizul’s avatar

hey paolo did you purchase the uno , i have a same problem as yours too . . how to fix it ?

10. DeNi’s avatar

can we transfer psp savedata to vita? (savedata not isos)

1. DeNi’s avatar

solved^.^; savedata treated as normal savedata, copy/paste via CMA, can be used with isos game

11. Matthew Taylor’s avatar

Hi,

Just put MSG Peace Walker on Vita. Accepted message to move file to ISO folder however says no room yet there is 16GB left on the card.

12. Skeith’s avatar

Hey sorry to be a bother but, I can open the exploit and make it to the TN 1.0.1 menu and my only option is to re execute UNO none of my homebrews or ISOs will show up. The naming isn’t a problem I fully understand the naming process or maybe I don’t I place my ISOs inside of the UNO save exploit name ex. MHFU.ISO or AZBZN.ISO. with the only homebrew I have attempted was wifi transfer and I placed it in the UNO exploit ex. PSP/GAME/WIFITRANSFER/EBOOT.PBP and that also didn’t work. IDK if this matter but i have the Assassin’s Creed white PSvita please help me :) thanks

1. Ty’s avatar

I’m having a similar issue. I have the naming down CRISIS.ISO, but when I copy it over it wont appear in the TN 1.0.1 menu, just my copy of UNO and FFT which I purchased and installed from the sony store. I’m using the white ACIII vita if that makes any difference? Thanks in advance for any help.

1. Ty’s avatar

Figured it out by trying a cso conversion. Just converted the file to a .CSO and it apeared next time I transferred it.

2. Chris’s avatar

do your isos show up as an icon or a corrupt (unrecognized) file might be windows double naming it i used my xp comp (have iso burner app so recognizes them) and it was GAME.ISO.iso so it didnt show up on my vita im encountering a prob with space have 18gb left but says not enough memory

13. Pat’s avatar

Where do you actually download stuff? Isos, hombrews, etc…

1. Skeith’s avatar

just random sites like you can get ISOs from torrents there isn’t a special place just know what you want and find the places that share those files :)

14. max’s avatar

Mine is working perfectly (US Vita). Already played mario kart 64 on it (without sound) and some psp isos. Will sony delete uno from my vita once I connect to their server? Have they already banned anyone from using this (I nkow this may seem to be a naive question, but I just want to know if I can minimize the risks)?

15. Paulo’s avatar

Hey I cant Play ISOs When I tryed to copy to my Ps Vita it says I need more space on my memory and I got 8 GB Card and Is my first game that I want to copy It says I Only have 215mb I cant Copy any ISO please Help

16. Crizizcor’s avatar

Any one can say me if maybe who have the gravity crash exploit can update to 2.02 and use the gravity crash exploit ?
    thanks and sorry for my bad english

17. Assassin1982’s avatar

Working great the tn menu I also have the assassin 3 bundle pack going to try out the mods when I get out of vacation and also try getting some psx games on it also :) great work

18. and1amazinguy’s avatar

JC3Fresh is right if you have problem with your ISO convert them to CSO it works

1. Paolo’s avatar

what converter did you use?

19. IgnusArmagadan’s avatar

I had Vita FTP and everything left over from the Mad Blocker Alpha exploit and I can’t seem to get FileZilla to connect with the Vita. It gave me no trouble with 1.81, but this 2.02 Uno exploit is giving me problems. Also, tried to copy over my Parasite Eve CSO file and after it got done copying over like it should have, it’s as if it skipped the CSO in the copying process…

20. azh_97 (newbie)’s avatar

What happens if I don’t copy the iso to the ms0?? ( I don’t have enough space to do that) I can still play it without copying it… So.. Please give me the reason while we have to copy it…

21. exequiel’s avatar

HELP ME GUYS.. PLEASE GIVE A LINK WHERE TO DOWNLOAD DISSIDIA DUODECIM UNTOUCHED.. I REALLY NED THIS GAME HELP PLS..

1. wololo’s avatar

You can get it here

1. Superman SP’s avatar

LOL Nice one! Doesn’t matter how many times they’re told, they still ask!

22. Mangiasassi’s avatar

Hey Guys, i have this problem:
    I have moved all file to my vita, also WAGIC (i want to try it :P), when i execute uno, i’m seeing wagic, so i’m copying it on my memory, but when i finish, i did not found the wagic game…
    Please Help me ;_;
    Thanks guys

23. dejera’s avatar

The games “Patapon 3″ and “One Piece Romance Dawn Bouken in Yoake” for example, don’t work. These are some games 5.00 M33-6 or higher that don’t work…

Anyone know how to make it work?

24. KuroRyuu913’s avatar

FOR ANYONE WHO HAS A PROBLEM WITH .ISO/.ZIP BEING LOWERCASE!
    1. OPEN UR ZIP/ISO USING WINRAR!
    2. SAVE ARCHIVE AS
    3. PUT NAME AS (8 letter name).ZIP or .ISO IN CAPS!
    IT WILL SAVE WITH THE EXTENSIONS IN CAP!

For anyone who didnt know. I had to screw around with the files until I realized that. So anyone who needs that done, here you go. :)

1. penGu’s avatar

Or by doing the following:

First of all, make it so you can see the extensions (If you cannot already see them) –
      Click [Tools] pull down menu
      Click [Folder Options]
      Click the [View] tab
      Untick [Hide extensions for known file types]
      Click [Apply]/[OK]

Now rename the file all in caps (Make sure you either add a new character or remove a character, for eg;
      1.) Wagic1.zip -> WAGIC1.ZIP = No good (It will revert back to Wagic1.zip automatically)
      2.) Wagic1.zip -> WAGIC.ZIP = Good (Due to removing the character/number “1″)

Cheers

25. Remy’s avatar

Some games after i download

(only had problems with .csos so far, although i have gotten both .iso and .cso to work)

and put it on my ps vita, then extract it goes into a black screen.

e.x Ys: ark…-after i extract and click to play, it goes into select english and once you select one it freezes into a black screen and gets an error

Valk profile- just goes straight into a black screen

any help?

1. KuroRyuu913’s avatar

its because they are over patched, or under patched. Look for games that would work on PSPs that have CFW of 6.60. If it doesnt work, look for an un-patched game. If that doesnt work, then idk.

1. Remy’s avatar

any chance you got a website you could give me?

26. Josh’s avatar

i cant get the files to copy says i have no space on my 8gig card but the games do run fine without copying them so thanks this exploit is great allows me to play some good games….

i would glady buy the game but sony is lame and dont let us credit card on Japanese store and i like JPN games there the best……

anyways thanks for this its great

27. Alv’s avatar

Ive been trying to make PSX games work but they don’t appear in once i run uno. I tried Breath of Fire 4 and Suikoden 2 but they don’t appear in my game. Ive already installed Star ocean and Valkyrie profile on the vita.

28. Josh’s avatar

a mistake i was not having the .iso in caps too so it did not show up….

i had it CRISISCO.iso and it would not show up at all

as soon as i renamed it too CRISISCO.ISO it works fine

so if ur games are not showing up make sure the .ISO is in CAPS too :)

if u are using windows make sure u are not hiding file extensions…

29. Remy’s avatar

i am guessing there is a max games on the menu, idk what the specific number is but i tested each game (out of 13 psp .iso/.cso) to make sure they work and run correctly but once i put them all in at once (yes i have a 32gb mem card and it only takes 16) i get an error after pressing x in uno menu anyone have a fix?

30. DragonBorracho’s avatar

how do you delete isos copied to the vita memory card?

31. Drake’s avatar

im using y menu and when i have copied 1 game and after that i wnt to copy more games and i overwrite yhe previous savedata the previous game gert deleted and i hv to copy both gaMES Togerther again and again??????any solution

32. Bob’s avatar

Can someone please help me? I’ve gotten isos and csos to work no problem. I managed to get a GBC emu to work. I cannot get a GBA emulator to work at all. I can get it to the vita. The exploit recognizes it. It even extracts it. Then it just disappears. I’ve tried 4 different emulators but it just did the same thing. Help? Please and thanks…

1. Bob’s avatar

Nmd I figured it out

33. black cat’s avatar

when homebrew is extracted where does it go?

34. chris’s avatar

where can u get iso from

1. wololo’s avatar

You rip them from your UMDs using a hacked psp

35. pr0xy’s avatar

All works fine, but still cant seem to get Valkyria Chronicles 2, Dissidia duodecim 012, or Z.H.P. running. :(

36. Ghost_Fish_Killa’s avatar

can some 1 help me i keep trying to get vita ftp to install but every time it extracts it disappears on me

37. GUS’s avatar

i cant get iso’s to work, only cso’s that ive gotten directly from a server. im doing everything right i think but it still wont work even after i use a compressor to turn an iso into a cso. can anyone help?

38. Paul’s avatar

is there anyway i can get uno for free… coz i forgot my password?…
    plss guys help!!..

39. dreamer’s avatar

I am total newbie, I did everything as u described, but didn’t got that screen in the step 6 , as you have. More over there is no bubble or pop up says “UNO” in my PSVita? Can you please guide me how to get “UNO” in my PSVita? Please somebody help me out….

· 1 · 2 · 3 · 4