Happy new year! PSP Game UNO vulnerability revealed by Frostegater, port of CEF To Vita 2.02 incoming.

Uno-exploitAfter a long time of waiting and a weeks-long Ninja release, Frostegater’s exploit is finally revealed to be in the PSP Mini  game UNO. UNO joins the growing collection of PSP games with a buffer overflow vulnerability, and if our experience is to be trusted, Sony will remove it from their stores within 48hrs (although we hope the holiday season might help delaying this…), so hurry up and get it.

For those who just join us, developer Frostegater announced a few weeks ago that he would be porting Total_Noob’s CEF to Vita Firmware 2.02. CEF is a piece of software that allows users to run PSP Homebrews, plugins, and backups within the PSP emulator of the Vita. Since this is not official Sony software, it relies on flaws in some specific games in order to run. This time’s game is UNO.

But well, if you’ve been following this blog, you know what CEF does and why you want it, so if you are interested, hurry up, and get Uno now. Let me emphasize again that if you are interested, you want to buy that game now, not tomorrow, not in 2 hours, but now, as you don’t know when Sony will remove it from their stores.

The Game is available in the US, JP, and EU stores, but not in HK based on the reports I have. For those who are in a store where the game is not available, you can create an account in another country, and order a PSN code online. I will not promote any of them, but feel free to share your recommendations in the comments below.

If you do get the game, do not wait to install it on your Vita. A typical mistake is that people will buy from their PS3, download it to their PS3, and not install it to their Vita immediately. This does not work, as Sony has the possibility to remove the game from your download list, technically preventing you from easily copying it from your PS3 to your Vita.

Frostegater’s files will be released on this site as well as other scene websites in a few days (in general we wait until the game is not available in the Sony stores anymore), and until then, here are a few videos from Frostegater and myself showing the exploit in action.

1. malcom976’s avatar

still available Eu store 11:08 pm

2. Zohan’s avatar

very one keeps saying backing up the game which game

3. Unmolested Ex-Catholic’s avatar

Funny how some of you can’t afford a 5 dollar game. Then you put your email on here asking for money. Pathetic much? Lol

1. >_>’s avatar

I’m thinking of signing those emails up for all sorts of *cool* stuff. :D Good idea?

4. CloudStrife1901’s avatar

the game is UNO read the description

1. FishSticks’s avatar

Thanks Captain Obvious

2. Zohan’s avatar

what where

1. blahblah’s avatar

you dUNO? INO!!

5. antonio’s avatar

I just download the game!!!! Now I have to wait for the files…thanks

6. Veskgar’s avatar

Great work to all involved! From a veteran of the PSP scene from several years back, its good to see new life breathed into the PSP / PS Vita scene once again! Also, just an update. I just downloaded the game at 6:35 PM EST. Get it while its hot!

7. Kodi123’s avatar

Thanks wololo! Been Following you since the 1.81 Exploit! Happy New Year from Poland!!!!

8. Frostegater’s avatar

Exploit will be released at 12:00 where I live, guys.

1. tom’s avatar

Where do you live? US(East or west coast), EUR, Ect?

2. olivier’s avatar

Awesome! and a happy new year dude! <3

3. enni’s avatar

Happy new year!And the game is so nice.

4. Jd8531’s avatar

This is not Frostegater. Please check profile pictures for legitimacy, otherwise do not take anything as fact until its official on the blog.

9. Wololofr’s avatar

Pulled from the EU and US stores now. Releasing the files is happening soon.

1. poec’s avatar

Funny fact, I have US account and i can still download it LOL

1. tom’s avatar

Yeah I can too

1. Eddie’s avatar

I can still grab it.

2. olivier’s avatar

Still on EU store in the Netherlands, 1-1-13/1:07 gmt+1

3. patrick81’s avatar

it’s still there. i don’t think it’s pulled yet. I can be wrong.

4. Tonakai’s avatar

This person is a fake.

10. Hitori04’s avatar

Thanks a lot for the work, it’s just great.
    Happy new yer on all on this site and also at all other people !! =)

11. Zohan’s avatar

what do i back up please help me

1. Boloney’s avatar

Uno game

12. Weno’s avatar

is it still on the us stores?

1. Need2Fap’s avatar

4:43 PST, game is still in the US PSN store.

13. Anonymous’s avatar

Fake frogstigator and wololo on comments. Games are still up and the files won’t be released today, wololo confirmed it on twitter.

1. tom’s avatar

I just checked his twitter, he said nothing of this

1. Anonymous’s avatar

Check his older reply tweets, something about “its new years eve here, we did not plan a release”

14. Qraze’s avatar

yea, its not gonna be pulled until the files are out is my guess.

sony would have had to ask permission to pull it and maybe the publisher isn’t allowing it since they’re making a good rush of money.

with no real exploit, the game is still just a game but once the files are out is when the system is compromised.

why pull a game with no exploitable files when its making more money than it ever did? cash grab.

tou’che sony. tou’che.

1. virtualtad’s avatar

If you have been following the scene, Sony pulled a game with no exploitable files at the moment when its making more money than it ever did more than THREE times. :))

15. Hex_cz’s avatar

Yeah, only waiting for files xD. A happy new year to everybody and don’t drink to much ¬¬.

16. solidsnake’s avatar

I would like to thank all involved in this. It is a very nice thing you do for us!!!

17. bz chickenwings’s avatar

how do you all even know it will be pulled from the psn store is my question? did sony announce it?

1. tom’s avatar

When You search for it and it’s not there

2. Jd8531’s avatar

Because they have no other option and have done it for every release.

18. Sav’s avatar

I hope everyone can get UNO in time, Happy new years!

19. Wiseman’s avatar

i was planning on staying on 1.81, but ill guess ill go ahead and update for this

20. Wololofr’s avatar

It’s gone now. ;( Need to update my twitter page.

21. Wololofr’s avatar

Nyeh just kidding, happy New Years.lol.

22. PSPveteran’s avatar

Am I right in saying this is the longest time a game has been taken to be pulled?

1. Luig’s avatar

That must mean they’re doing it right.

1. blahblah’s avatar

or s0ny’s employee still havin NY hangover. damn they musta hav a very good fun while their share stock is down.

23. rayBridjes’s avatar

Alright so I have a question since I’m new to the vita, I got a used vita and bought Uno on it, and backed it up onto my pc with open CMA. I’m thinking of getting a better conditioned one, if I were to restore factory settings on the first one, would I still be able to transfer Uno to the 2nd one? And would this still work even after sony pulls it from the store? Thanks!

1. synapze’s avatar

Yes, just as long as you use the same PSN ID on the new Vita and just as long as you continue to use OpenCMA.

24. regine03’s avatar

1+++ comments nice

25. Draygon’s avatar

hallo,

could someone please answer this:
    i am getting a New vita in 2 weeks, because the one i have right now has a dead Pixel.

is it possible to buy UNO and Transfer it with openCMA to my PC and then to my replacement vita?

1. wawawawaw’s avatar

yeah you can

2. rav’s avatar

I don’t think you can.
      You’ll need to activate the game for your new Vita. By the time you got the new Vita, I think UNO would aready removed by Sony from the Store.

1. Draygon’s avatar

So, can I or can’t I? :)

I waited soo long for this, and now, the time I’m getting a replacement, this get’s released… Aww…

1. blahblah’s avatar

the installed game is tied specificly to ur hardware so u cant transfer it to other vita am afraid.

2. RuPurt’s avatar

installed games are tied to the psn account and the memory card…not the device. you can make a backup and put it onto the new memory card (if youre getting one) and use everything.

2. rayBridjes’s avatar

But isn’t that the point of open CMA? To be able to make these transfers without their interferance? If I misunderstood please explain.

1. blahblah’s avatar

just imagine scenario like this: u cannot use your PS3 HDD from unit A to unit B (nor if you can clone it). sum BS encryption prevents u that. otherwise everyone will get to play ur games for free.

1. rayBridjes’s avatar

So long as you deactivate and restore factory settings on the older vita. I thought games are tied to your PSN account?

2. blahblah’s avatar

erm, u got a good point there. i dun have 2nd PSV to try. so maybe if a new PSV unit signed with ur ID, it may or may not work.

but i believe it would work, we know how s0ny operate. profit profit & profit.

2. blahblah’s avatar

so the point of OCMA would be to be able to BACK UP your one particular PSV & transfer files OFFLINE, without the need of s0nny’s approval.

i repeat for every1 else in simpler wording:
          YOU CANNOT BACK UP ANY GAMES & USE ON OTHER PSV, other than your own unit.

1. RuPurt’s avatar

yes you can…and ive done so. making the games unit exclusive would be dumb on sonys part. download content is tied to memory card and psn account.

2. rayBridjes’s avatar

Not to be stubborn, just trying to understand how this all works. So you’re saying that if my PSV fell out of my pocket and shattered thus becoming a paperweight, I’m SOL and would have to repurchase all my downloaded games?

3. wololo’s avatar

No, you would need to redownload them all, not to purchase them again. The issue would be that you have to update to the latest firmware, losing the exploit. The same goes if you buy a second Vita which doesn’t already have the game installed

4. blahblah’s avatar

i take my word back if it work then. pheew. :p

now i need a new cheap red PSV…

5. blahblah’s avatar

oh hell im confused lol

@ rayBridjes

thats what i thought at beginning. just like PS3, u need to redownload all games. u cannot use a back up from old PS3 into new one. correct me if im wrong. so same case with PSV & s0ny wouldnt go st00pid let ppl easily copy paste.

6. rav’s avatar

Hmmmm interesting…..

So with the same memory card and account, you can use it on as many Vita as you want? ;D

And the limit of 2 activation per account only applied if you’re using a different memory card (with the same account)?

Really confusing…. lol

7. deejay’s avatar

Nintendo stuff is tied to a console

Sony stuff is tied to an account. Long as you have 2.02 on the new system and not higher, you can use OPENCMA to transfer it back. if you’re over 2.02, sorry, have to wait for next exploit

26. TheZ’s avatar

I’m not gonna release the file until my birth day in January 18th

1. Stiffeno’s avatar

Im pretty sure the REAL Z doesn’t spell like he is a retard!

If you are going to pretend to be someone, at least use correct spelling.

27. ironchefion’s avatar

happy new years everyone

28. idk man’s avatar

how do yall even know if sony is going to pull it from the psn store?

1. blahblah’s avatar

psychic power

2. Tonakai’s avatar

It has been done on numerous occasions in the past.

29. dragar’s avatar

Happy new years all.
    Patiently waiting for the exploited save files to be uploaded. Thanks wololo, frostegator, total_noob and everyone else who’s made the ecfw possible.

30. total_noob’s avatar

Off the JPN store, now probably a matter of hours. Exploit will be released on jan 2nd.

1. Lake’s avatar

i still see on jpn store..but will really be released on 2nd?

31. MrNano’s avatar

You know Sony much be making big bucks on the UNO game right now. With everyone suddenly buying it and all. They be thinking $D

32. Someone Else’s avatar

Free Jetpack Joyride (Vita Version) just went up in the USA shortly ago. (Has touchscreen and all that)

Hurry and grab it while you can, if you’re on the latest ofw!

33. Klinger’s avatar

..great… only $ 4,14 in wallet… game is 4,99…

34. Daniel’s avatar

Whose realizing the file? TheZ, frostergator, or total_noob?

35. Stiffeno’s avatar

UNO is the first exploit game I have bought that I actually enjoy playing LOL. I should have bought it years ago!

36. Asch901’s avatar

I guess we’ll just have to wait another day. Wololo said that it’s not gonna be release today. Or rather….it’s a stand-off between Sony and Frostegater, who will draw first? Either way it’s good for psv users who haven’t got this game yet, they have more time to grab it. At the end of it all the save files are just sitting there while Sony making money through this game knowing it won’t be release if Uno still persist on PSN.. Now let see which side is playing dumb.

37. henriqueBRAZIL’s avatar

happyyyy neeeww yearrrrr

38. chinese’s avatar

坐等存档

39. henriqueBRAZIL’s avatar

happy new year

40. legnaid’s avatar

still waiting….

41. henriqueBRAZIL’s avatar

I am happy to know that once again I will be enjoying a feat VITA … this year 2013 promises much with the supposed UVLoader and now, with a likely break SFKU kernel native PS Vita … I think the devs are more eager launching a sdk! 2013 and comes with its mysteries in the scene … happy new year, happy 2013!

42. xKoliosx’s avatar

Juego descargado y listo ps store de mexico…gracias wololo y Frostegater y atodos los scener…gracias !!!

43. total_noob’s avatar

the game files will be released jan 1 (us)

44. falsehero’s avatar

still available GMT +8:00

1. falsehero’s avatar

us ps store btw

45. KKS’s avatar

How much does this game cost in the US PSN store?

46. jb’s avatar

That jetpack game being free, hmm…do you think sony could’ve screwed with that game and make it fuck the exploit up, similar to a trojan horse of some sort? I’m being paranoid because I downloaded it already, smh. Wololo, if you see this post, can you verify that everything’s on the up and up? I’d appreciate it.

47. Matt’s avatar

ps store was updated on mine added jetpack joyride and some chrono game free a few hrs ago the game is still up though.. they must be raking in maddd $$$$ off the game or they dont care haha. surprised the games not featured in top downloads.¿?
    anywho happy 2013 all the best.

48. patrick81’s avatar

wow.. over 1,100 comments. is this normal? lol

49. WhyKlef’s avatar

I somehow think that the week-end, holiday is an excuse Sony is using to keep this game available. At the end of the day these are facts:

-PS Vita considered one of the 8 worst product flop of 2012.
    -Sales are either plummeting or stale at very low numbers. (Japan and NA)
    -3rd party devs scared of investing in Vita development, quality titles are nowhere to be seen.
    -Sony is mixed up with some more bad press with other divisions.

All in all, I think right now more then any time I can remember, Sony could use the hardware sales boost from “hackers” giving extra value to their hardware. My two cents.

50. muhd’s avatar