Personal Computers vs Gaming Consoles, Who will rise?

You may also like...

1. Softtm17 says:

Problem is another….
    I buy games to play and have fun or buy the game has the best graphics of all?
    I, at this moment still play final fantasy viii in psp/psvita/ps3/psx/ps2 and you know it … is not that good graphics but is an epic game…so it isn’t graphics that these days have to improve…

• ryujinn says:

Clearly you don’t have the slightest clue about PC’s. Do you know you can play your game in PC’s too. And with great graphics. “however PCs are made MAINLY to create-work-schedule they are not been made ​​to play” are you talking about PC’s 20 years ago?

• O_0 says:

Hello what year are you from? it’s already 2012 you know

“however PCs are made MAINLY to create-work-schedule they are not been made ​​to play.”

lol you don’t know what you’re talking about

• Roland says:

I’d like to take a moment to point out that FF 8 came out on PC too…

• Guardian says:

Have you ever heard of Alienware computers?

• MrHankee666 says:

Dell? umm no thanx. Rather build your own rig if you’re going for a tower. Plus the original foundators of AW founded Origin PC after their company got bought by Dell… there’s probably a reason behind this ;]

2. EJ says:

I do love PC graphics for sure, any game looks a little if not a lot better. But the thing with PC games now a days is they are all becoming digital, which sometime can mean you don’t actually own it. Why I prefer console gaming and hope for new consoles sooner then later.

3. pokerbob05 says:

At the moment i prefer console platforms.

Yes, PC kicks azz visually…….however……

I loaded Farcry3 on my dads gaming PC and it took nearly 2 hours before we even loaded the damn game to play it.

On my RGH xbox, 1 minute and its ready.

If PC’s could load data straight from disc (not including cloud gaming) this which be cool. Ps3 installs required files so PC could maybe do the same.

• Kid Vhee says:

Maybe the PC was a but slow.

• O_0 says:

Try checking the pc specs

and then read the game’s minimum and recommended specs

most probably your dad’s pc didn’t meet the required specs

• gunblade says:

yea probly jus coping the game to the pc wy was slow maybe upgrade ur hard drive n disk drive fo better data tranfer but if it lage on playing then yea ur cpu n ram could use upgrade rams cheap now day n a goood dual core or quad core dont cost that much since the new icore came out n the new amd chips…u should upgrade ur pc.

• Acid_Snake says:

that’s what I hate about PC gaming, very bad compatibility and specs. Every new game requires more minimum resources. Then some games are made to play better on a determined gpu because the company that made the game made a pact with the company that made the gpu. Then you have the issue with old games not working, I have literally bought about 10 games from the XP era and none work because whatever protection they have won’t work on win7 or because of some other win7 compatibility ***. This is why I prefer consoles, cause I know that whatever game I buy will work well, and games even going back to 2007 will still work

• Roland says:

The XP era equates to ps1.(around the same era)
          Ps1 games don’t work on most ps3s and you have to buy them digitally…
          Even if you extend XP into the ps2 era, even less ps2 games work on ps3 (most do not have a digital option)
          So it works out the same either way…

• Dombre says:

buy a solid state hard drive and you load games in 15 seconds.

4. IgnusArmagadan says:

Console gaming all the way!! The thing about consoles is that they get set bardware geared directly toward the idea of gaming, so every game (other than terrible ports from one system to another) works flawlessly, especially exclusives! PC games for the most part feel like they run together and seem pretty close together for the most part. Also, if you don’t have a good enough computer, you have to update everything starting with graphics all the way up to the CPU until it’s maxed out to it’s potential, then you need to go buy a brand new $1500 or more computer to catch back up for a few more years.

5. Tanvir175 says:

PC gaming in my opinion is superior, but not by much. I console game because it’s hard for me to get used to PC gaming and the controls, etc. On a PS3, I’m indestructible because the controller is just so amazing and everything is right where it should be. I’m starting to get more into PC gaming but even though it’s superior, I’m more of a console gamer.

6. Charls says:

i prefer consoles, PC its nice visually but idk for example when i play with my friends local multiplayer its cool sit in my couch turn on the console and play, in the PC idk how do that ^^

7. k3nn says:

i usually buy for the game (when the game is good i.e., metal gear), i don’t care where it runs :) both pc or console has both pro and cons :P

• Roland says:

This is me all day!
      I bought a ps3 just so I could play MGS4 and AC4 (though I am HIGHLY disappointed in the direction armored core has gone…)

8. Maxilus says:

Im a console gamer. Why I choose console is because the first thing is that when you buy a console, firstly in mind is the game right? It mean to be gaming machine. You wanna play game. Most of the function is in gaming way like you got the controller, motion sensor controller, custom made graphics card and all sort. And commonly it always on the TV screen. Like wise PC.. For me, I used PC just for some internet surfing, maybe typing on MS word or listen some music on iTunes. But gaming on PC, you might know it need high-end hardware in order for you to play high end games like for example, Battlefield 3 or GTA4. And you are using keyboard and mouse as your controller. And also you need to install alot of things. So i can say, PC is kinda complicated and troublesome for some people. Console, you just slot in the disc and start load the game. Done. I know console can do lots of things nowadays. But it not mean to be like a PC. It just stay as Entertainment machine.

• GreeNinja says:

yeah! thumb up

• Aardy says:

Yea you just put in a disk and play right? When it was the original NES or ps1 maybe. But todays consoles are not just put in a disk and play. First you have to update, and then you have to create a profile, then you have to log on, then you have to update again, then you have to install the disk data, then you have to download all the dlc, then you have to update it again. And Im not exadurating, you have to do this for almost every game on the ps3 or 360.

• DiGiTaL-CORE says:

This is true. Consoles are both simple and meant to be entertainment systems.

Everyone also makes the mistake of saying you need a high-end computer to play the latest PC games though… You DO NOT! My computer is maybe more then 5 years old and plays all the latest games just fine on damn near high graphics settings. Just like a console, you have to dedicate some $$$ to a computer that will last you a while like consoles tend too.

9. xentar says:

I grew up with PC and console so I like each but for different reasons. JRPG/SRPG on megadrive, snes, saturn and all PS consoles are great. Isometric rpgs and rts/ 4x are all pc for me. Also I played a whole lot of CS and bf1942 with my friends at lan parties so a mouse is always preferable for me with FPS games. Funky new games like FTL are great on pc too but it looks like going forward we will see more indy on all the consoles making that argument mute.

Either way I spend way more time playing games from my youth I really enjoyed and some that I missed than any new games. I also tend to actually play my console games after buying them. Steam has turned me into a list completitionist rather than game completionist. see: lambentstew.com/webblog/miniproject/steamanalysis/steam_time/76561198030459030 =(

• gunblade says:

yeah i no playing the old school games is realy fun i was stooked wen i seen the final fantasy tactic for plus download n its the psp one but i cant wait to unlock the speacial character cloud n the psp version lets u battlle with psp dont no if it works for the vita but i have a psp with it jus didnt try it yet..but good that the playstazion store has like psx n ps2 game now..nice that atleast most of them r under 10 dallers

10. Zer01ne says:

PC For Gaming = 800$+ Must installing much data and need no be compatible and configured
    Console = 200$+ Ready to play, insert Game Disc And Enjoy
    Thats the difference !

• Maxilus says:

I agree with you!

• gunblade says:

welll ps3 wise i guess blue ray hold more then dvd so u dont have to copy most of the game like on the pc so wy u dont realy have to install much with consloes but some pc game once u install u dont realy need the cd outher u need to lod like 2 to 4 to install the whole game i guess the time from buying the game to bringing it home n playing it is what a big facter but iam alright waiting fo the game to install on the pc dough i dont play much on pc it still has games that consoles dont have same as for console games pc dosent have…i play a lot of facebook games on my pc wise i could play them on my fon but i got an old android..

11. kenny2858 says:

gaming console is better for the noobie type of people, you get less errors (not saying every console person is a noob but it kinda is because its very simple to play in. On pc its for more advanced people that know how gaming works on pc because sometimes you get errors and other things like that.

12. jaredgradis says:

Bueno bueno. los PC al Final son los mejores. pero ocupas una PC muy potente para jugar. ademas, los juegos se crean en Pc.
    Ejemplo. en GTA IV al jugarlo en XBOX 360 en HDTV… las sombras bajan increiblemente su calidad.. y en un PC puedes jugarlo en 1080p Nativo no fingido como en Xbox 360 sin cambio en las sombras… pero claro ocupas una PC con mucho poder..

13. Sorun says:

Try playing Battlefield 3 on console then on PC maxed out. Yeah that 24 player restriction kills the fun, and you know why it’s limited? Because consoles are weak and can’t be customized. My pc that max’s everything (except AA) cost me only $900. Of course consoles will get upgraded, but by then my PC will be years ahead of it.

• gunblade says:

yeah i heard about those retriction wandererd on it even heard that they cant realy do masss mutiplaying an is limited to like 20 player team or sumthing one reason wy i like mmog on the pc more

• ALLEN2 says:

Consoles play BF3 ruffly at Low/Med. They should of just made it for PCs instead of a watered down console port for the noobs to like.

14. Dario says:

The idiot Z said soon on his twitter which means it’s coming out tomorrow. Rejoice all your pirates.

• gunblade says:

realy sweet got my psn card ready thought he was going to wait till after christmas but when z ready for realse. um ill be ready…

15. k3nn says:

but of course when the game is *cough* monster hunter *cough* the pc will be of no use :P

as i have always known…it’s the game not the hardware.

16. Rowan says:

its a hard choice, and i cant decide

17. gunblade says:

ever thought combining the two like a pc with an sandbox xbox 360 n ps3 was like a dream mode of mines

18. gunblade says:

well pc good for online n gaimg wise there prety good i like the fact that on gaming system u can jus stight play the game but like how the pc u can be playing then can quick cheack ur facebook but i never play a pc game in years welll facebook games but not the whole online playing like wow or starwars online but graphics on the pc are usauly better but the ps3 is like 10 years old so can see were pc would be more better power wise. hopefuly the next generation xbox n ps3 would be pushing todays best cpu n graphic at like 8 gigs of ram…

19. AyeGuy says:

I love gaming consoles, but the pc is clearly better

• gunblade says:

would u complain if u had like a ps3 dev kit think they mainly computer well i no i wouldent but cant afford a dev kit so sticking to my consoles n pc for now…but a pc n console system would be nice. but yeah pc have better hardware n more use then a ps3

20. Slimjim3k says:

Didn’t read the post so going off the title but… Personal Computers will rise, not because of the video games on them, but because they literally cannot die due to necessity. When was the last time someone used a 360 to present a project? When was the last time someone used a PS3 for book keeping? When was the last time someone used a Wii for running a car through a diagnostic? Even if anyone has done either of these with either of the mentioned systems. Why not just load up a net book or other capable machine with these things? Even then, I have yet to see a netbook that CAN’T emulate SNES Genesis and older. It’s a mater of necessity and the perks that come with the open hardware and software.

• gunblade says:

pc things was possible with earlier ps3 with the outher os was the main reason i wanted a ps3 even the ps2 have athe final fantasy bundle that came with a hard drive keyboard n mose i think concles can be jus as good as pc for doing those thing jus that the manufators made them mostly for gaming but there is hombrew that can let u do that i seen a hombrew for the psp that lets u do car dionostice but think it be easier on a small laptop since the psp dont reaaly have that much power hardware wise..

21. Ronald says:

who ever wrote this article is an idiot a good PC versus a console in graphics quality is massive if you look a pc version of a game then look at console its a massive difference developers have to struggle to get the games they make to run decent on consoles with draw backs on graphics and drawbacks on amount players that can be on servers for multiplayer.

• gunblade says:

not to mention the rams like only 512 for xbox 360 n ps3 but if the main thing is graphics i was think about having a hd input on a computer an have the ps3 hd video out runing into the pc n having it push the graphics of the ps3 by having it go through the pc dont no if it would be realy a diffence but sound cool u could probly even hoook up the ps3 hard drive to a raid card

• gunblade says:

well that my dream mode but was thinkg about having to fit a pc a xbox an a ps3 into a pc case would be hard on a midsize tower case but think u would need a ps3 n xbox that can play homebrew to make better use of the hard drive..

22. razor says:

Long live the PC!!

23. xentar says:

I’m pretty sure the ps3 ios only 256mb of ram -_-. Seriously lets pair some 8 core cell proccessor with so little ram it can’t even play the skyrim dlc. Also someone mentioned that bd have a much larger capacity then dvds so you don’t need to do much installing but the problem is bd disks have a much lower read speed so loading times hurt.

I think it comes down ot ease of use. Consoles are for the most part plug and play. Many people new to PCs have a lot of trouble grasping how to use most of the features so a console is a better option regardless of cost (I have a friend who’s mum thinks steam infects computers with viruses -_- so he get banned from the pc whenever I send him steam gifts.

What interests me the most is the effect steam box type systems will have on consumers. By grossly simplyfying the computer and locking specs it will be truer to a console experience then any pc we have today. It should be very interesting to watch how that unfolds.

24. gunblade says:

yea olmost forgot about the load diffence was jus think that most of the game was on disk n dident need to load to much to the consles n yeah the ram of the ps3 was like 512 but halfed for like os n hardware or sunthing like that i heard. man i neva have steam for awhile dident sony have sunthing to do with steam…

25. ue says:

Poorly written article

26. Hewell says:

I play my games at pc computer, enjoy these for free but i want to expand to ps vita games use psn plus to get games cheaper

27. kaiserlufet says:

All I can say is I vote for console especially the portable ones, because I like to play games going to work, on lunch, in the bathroom, on the couch, on the bed, yeah, the best position for me while laying on the bed and all kinds of different positions as long as I can my vita…
    as if I can do that playing on a PC..
    just sharing… LOL

28. pspnp says:

PC with an XBOX360 controller and 3 monitors!!!!!! (not cheap)

29. svenn says:

The vengeance between PC and consoles is only based on company’s making them. There is little difference between a ps3 and a computer, proven by the ports we see from pcps3xbox.

Tablets, PC, consoles … consoles get better at what PC does, PC gets better at what consoles does better.

A standard platform –> apple
    Targeted at gaming so you get to play good quality games on any console –> good quality is not a defintion, no argument.
    Portability –> tablets (+8h, portability), laptops
    Cost –> only cause part is gain from locked systems.

Power –> Why would 1 person need allot of CPU ? PC != Servers
    Multitasking –> not limited to pc.
    More value for money –> in what way ? consoles are cheaper.
    A useful tool –> fair enuf.

30. suicidal_banana says:

Dont get me wrong, but what the heck…?!

“In such a short timespan we have been able to make games look almost real, this has made the argument worsen. Today’s consoles can do amazing things”

“Both consoles and PCs are getting better everyday, it is almost impossible to find any difference between games on a good pc and on a gaming console. ”

Consoles didnt get better in the past years, simply because they didnt update. difference between games on pc and console are mostly gone because all developers just focus on consoles now, and pc gets console ports.

Meanwhile, half the pc gamers are on DX11, while consoles are still on some shady dx9.9, if anything, consoles succesfully ruined pc gaming in the past ~3 years (yup, im a pc gamer)

If it wasnt for steam, nobody would release for pc anymore, simply because devs are lazy and dumb, they rather develop for a closed platform with dusty hardware then a fractured platform with 10 times more powerfull hardware.

To round it up, Crisis2, is all i need to say really, Crysis2.

31. suicidal_banana says:

ugh, fractured -> splintered*

32. codeine says:

“As Gaming consoles get closer and closer to PCs in terms of power”

Stopped reading there.

The main reason i perfer pc is because the community is huge, more then both consoles combined.

I do love my ps3 and vita though for platformers, racers and fighting games.

• Sanoske says:

I know right.. Consoles will never get too close to pc, even ps4 and xbox720 might get close but pc will always be lightyears away

33. Owl says:

I have a PS3 only for EXCLUSIVE games if not for those i would never have bought one, i mainly play on my PC, and if games like Dragon’s Dogma were released on PC i wouldn’t think twice about getting it.
    It gets fairly obvious that i prefer PC gaming when i don’t turn my ps3 for over 2 weeks, i do however have a weakness for portable gaming i play my ps/p/vita all the time.

34. w00tguy123 says:

For me, it’s either power or portability. If I’m going to be in one place playing a game, then a PC is cheaper and more versatile than any gaming console IMO. Grab an HDMI cord and a wireless gamepad and you can play it just like a console.

If I want to take gaming away from home, then it’s gonna be something like a Gameboy/PSP. No cables/setup required, just play more games that are focused more on gameplay instead of graphics.

35. FrenchFAG says:

Pc all the way consoles are for little boys and girls!

36. xShadowsx says:

i wish there was a device that had an windows os and an app to play console games

37. Mark says:

The problem with the wipeout videos, is that those videos are not rendered in real-time. Each frame may take several seconds, minutes or even hours in those videos for a computer to render. The graphics you see in the 1995 video, the PS1 could never render in real-time.

The GTA ones, however, are real-time. The computer graphics card is rendering many frames every second.

38. Sanoske says:

I like pc gaming because of modding freedom. Consoles are user locked and have to play on how developers want you to play. Console graphics will be the same for everyone but for pc you have the right to choose how much better it will look depending on how much you spent for your graphics card. Btw laptop gaming doesn’t count

39. Dombre says:

I’m for pc’s being grater than consoles and here’s why. Lets take the Mass Effect Series as an example. The PC version of the game can scale up to grater than 1080p and then you can mod in HD textures to make the games look even better. Now take the console version and your stuck with 720p graphics and low res textures. That’s just an example of one game. This trend holds true for many games: Skyrim, Portal 2, half life 2, Left for dead, Grand theft auto 4 the list goes on and on. The only thing consoles have going for them is the convince factor and possibly multi-player (4 people playing on the same system). Will this be true forever? I think so with the ability to mod and the ability to upgrade GPU’s will ensure that pc’s stay on the PC enthusiasts desks.

40. Lorz says:

One huge advantage of PCs over consoles for gaming is that PCs are far better suited to MMOs, keyboard and mouse just offer far greater complexity of control than a gamepad ever possibly could, yet with PCs you still do have the option of gamepads…… try porting a game like WoW over to a console, the controls would be awkward as all ***, and many people just prefer keyboard chat over voice.

As for graphics, a high-end gaming PC can crush any console, largely due to very powerful GPUs and a *** ton of video Ram, but the problem with that is that there isn’t a standardized spec, AND you’re talking alot of money, consoles are capable of delivering far more consistant framerates since the hardware is far more narrowed down, and for a bit less cash…. though if you ask me, consoles are approaching PC prices, and that’s not good, because a PC offers alot more….. also, you wanna run emulators or homebrew? No need to hack your PC, it will run whatever you want it to run.

Other than that, it’s largely the preference, do you prefer to sit behind a desk in front of a keyboard and mouse, or on the couch in front of a TV….. though I might mention the emergence of media PCs, custom built PCs designed to hook up to TVs and be used like game consoles.

• Lorz says:

On the other hand, consoles are far better for any type of gathering, if you invite friends over to play games, I don’t think your friends are going to want to all try to squeeze behind your desk.

• Owl says:

Well it involves some money but what doesn’t, right?
        I have my computer hocked up to my monitor and my big screen tv and when ppl come over to play i bring out the wireless joypads (either xbox or ps3 ones) and we play stuff like Trine, Dungeon Defenders,Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, Left for Dead 2(bit annoying to set up but worth it) and many other games(there could be more, cmon devs!).
        I wish there was more action rpg games that supported same screen mp thats what i miss the most i used to play those all the time back on the PS2 days (which can be emulated on PC)

41. Calvin says:

I prefer gaming laptops I own a Alienware m17x I also wouldn’t even think of trading it in for a Xbox 360 or PS3.
    If I really wanted with my computer screen to play console games!!! HDMI-In FTW!!!!!!!!!! Plus most big budget games come out for pc as well

42. Anonymous says:

Trust me. once you go PC. you’ll never turn back. i only ever turn on my consoles anymore for exclusives

43. J says:

U forgot a big feature of the PC. If you’re smart: PERFECT backwards compatibility and EMULATORS.

The problem is the much higher initial investment for it.

In the long run, the PC can be a cheaper platform (Game sales, sales, game sales EVERYWHERE!).. and captain Jack Sparrow gives some solution too if you’re into that.

• Botak says:

Yup thats true bro. I’m using both platform Ps vita and PC. But i prefer PC coz its capability to custom your game’s quality with your own way. Besides, games developer always use PC to develope games for consoles. Thats da point :)

44. Captain Obvious says:

Consoles get outdated, I get tired of console ports.

45. Disgusted_Vita_User says:

Clearly many of the people commenting on PC’s are misinformed.

Firstly, a PC is not restricted to a keyboard and mouse as a control option, you can use almost anything you want to whether that is a controller or a joystick.

Consoles will never catch up with PC’s in terms of hardware power period.

I saw someone mention Far Cry 3 taking hours to load so they came to the conclusion that PC’s were some how no good. It’s simple really, in exchange for the major benefits you get with PC gaming, you are expected to do your homework.

The PC will live forever no matter what, I still play games on it from 2000 because some of the Mods are so good that they rival 2012 releases.

The PC leaves the power with the gamer, the Console leaves the power with the seller, which one would you rather?

46. Hardin says:

This is such a poor article…even the video picked to illustrate its point was a bad choice. The last sentence is not only illogical, but untrue. The whole thing seems so lazy.

47. Jiggity says:

EX-pc gamer and got to say console all the way. Ever since switching from PC to Xbox, things are a lot simpler. I don’t have to get more components, or worry about updating directX or any other dependencies, no waiting for install either. No matter what Xbox 360 game I get, or any game that comes out in the future, it is guaranteed to work on my Xbox. And if my xbox dies, I still have the games and get another xbox.

Really, the only thing PC has is l33t graphics. Even then, I don’t really miss them as Xbox graphics are getting better all the time, for some reason, on the same hardware. I don’t even miss the graphics on PC because of how surprised I was by the xbox 360. If you need better looking games than Halo 4 or Crysis on the xbox, then you are definitely not playing the game, just looking for graphics.

The PC gaming community is like those kids in high school trying to tune up some Honda Civic with loud pipes and cold air intake and crazy lights. Glad I grew up and just bought something made for gaming.

48. Jiggity says:

Also forgot to mention that PC gaming is DYING very fast. Everytime I see a new PC game come out, all the entitled elite PC gamers whine about how they got a ‘sh!tty port’. Wonder why? Piracy? People tired of buying expensive components? People growing up? Probably the same reason why you don’t see as many people driving those wannabe Fast and Furious cars anymore.

49. Jiggity says:

“Consoles get outdated, I get tired of console ports.

You are playing games 5 years ahead on outdated architecture not to mention they overprice their exclusives.”

Ha! Xbox 360 has been around for 7 years, and still plays games beautifully coming out to this day and look great. How many people can play games today on a 7 year old graphics card? None.

“If you want to be limited to 720p, have slower frame rates, physical CD’s, less control options, less multiplayer numbers, smaller maps and less ambitious games and you don’t want to know how your software / hardware works then the Console is for you.”

720p – doesn’t bother me. I play games, not graphics. The games still look great.

Frame rates – again, still don’t notice slow frame rates on the 360. Matter of fact, games play better on the 360, instead of ‘tweaking’ or buying a several hundred dollar on the PC.

CDs – Actually it’s dvd’s now. And who would complain about having a physical copy of a game they bought?

Control options – what are you meaning? There’s plenty of options in games like changing controller input. BTW controller > m/k. Or do you mean the mundane task of tweaking the graphics so they don’t stutter on the PC?

Multiplayer – I’m sure you will find more players on Playstation network and Xbox Live than on any PC game.

Smaller maps – Last I checked, Halo 4 and Skyrim and any other game has the same maps.

Ambitious games – more and better games get released on Xbox or PS3. All the PC gets now-a-days is ports (console leftovers).

How the console hardware works – who cares? This is about playing games right? 1. Put in game 2. Play

50. hady says:

a pc is a pc its does more things than the gaming console and it’ll always do , but when it comes to gaming . consoles will always win ..why ? because of 1st party studios . games like GodofWar HeavyRain Uncharted ..etc will never come to pcs that why ill always buy gaming consoles specially sony ones :P :D