New forced Vita update 2.01 live

Sony has just started to roll out the newest firmware update for the Vita.
The new 2.01 OFW update is live in most regions and along with it, the new 2.01 OFW update is mandatory, which is some what unexpected. Why Sony would make this mandatory is questionable since it was supposed to only fix a bug Sony had found in the 2.00 update, preventing some people to save via cloud, if you were a PS plus member. Not all users are plus members so the reason behind the mandatory update doesn’t make sense, there also is not a change log to accompany the update, so whats included is unknown besides the fix for that one issue.

This new update should not interfere with the recent findings of a kernel exploit in the psp emu and the VHBL on 2.00, but there is always a possibility something can get changed or patched. If you are on anything lower than 2.01 you will not have any type of access to any PSN services unless you update to the latest. If you are on 2.0 you should go ahead and update, however that is again a personal choice you have to make. Users have found ways to get on PSN on lower firmwares, but if those methods are still working with this update hasn’t been confirmed yet. In addition, Open CMA also still does not work on anything higher than 1.81 OFW. Remember that any exploits released on 1.81 firmwares and below will not work if you update. Stay tuned for more updates.

1. hard_boy’s avatar

This update is a bug fix for PS Plus. No update fore me :-/

1. buggy’s avatar

You would say no with PSN.

2. TheHollander’s avatar

Really?… Already?…

1. >_>’s avatar

Really. Already.

3. turbo-tastic’s avatar

1st! well is it really a forced update? so if your vita is exploited you shouldn’t do any online activity in your vita?

1. NakedFaerie’s avatar

Umm no, but your a wanker for saying 1st.

2. >_>’s avatar

Sorry bub you were 3rd lol. XDDDDDDDDD

1. sdadf’s avatar

1st? Right.

4. MaxiExtreme’s avatar

Hmmm… My niece just updated my 1.81 to 2.0 so dont have the choice but to update to 2.01 also :(

1. Stiffeno’s avatar

Oh man I would have whooped her arse LOL. I actually keep my Vita and PSP in a small steal safe in my house :), only me and my mother have access to it! She keeps her work money in it, and I keep my smaller consoles and valuables like jewellery in it!

2. >_>’s avatar

Always PIN protect your electronics if they have the option. XDDDDDDDD

5. chingon’s avatar

dis some bull…

6. n1nurt4’s avatar

why do people STILL insist on posting “first”? its spam and makes you look like a tool when youre not even the first to post.

back on topic though, im using my vita right now to type this, and i havent updated so maybe it isn’t forced? i also checked my friends list which is when a msg appeared telling me to update but i just backed out of it. correction: it wont let you sign in but at least i can use the browser… mystery solved.

7. NakedFaerie’s avatar

I went to play todays mission in Unit 13 and it forced me to update. Refusing to even get into the game unless I update.

These forced updates really suck. BUT if they bring bugs that we can exploit then ok. OR if it fixes previous bugs that break the system then also ok.
    They really need to leave a few holes for the homebrewers as there is nothing wrong with homebrew.

8. Jeff’s avatar

I got the Blue flashing light of death after update, and holding the power button for 30 sec does not work! Does anyone have any ideas?

1. Jd8531’s avatar

Hold it longer or Turn off your PS Vita and
      then press and hold “R” + Power + PS (PlayStation Button). Then restart the Vita in the recovery menu.

9. shadowfire90’s avatar

I think there is a huge vulnerability in 2.0 that would allow Vita level cfw.
    They probably got careless and didn’t see it and that’s what this little update is for most likely.
    Think I will stay on 2.0 for awhile just to see what happens in the scene.

1. sammy’s avatar

living in dreamland. the update was to make AUTO uploads work for save files. Why people keep saying some have problems with cloud saves I dont know. the AUTO save upload should now work just like the AUTO trophy syncs which worked fine on 2.00

10. Vita’s avatar

I’m still on 1.81. You guys think the manual update to 2.0 will still work???

1. Jd8531’s avatar

Yep you should still be able to.

11. Chezni’s avatar

I had been using SKFU proxy to use persona 4′s online functions, but as of today, it no longer works for me :(.

But that lead me to an interesting question:

If I use a proxy to download mad blocker, etc… will i be able to use the Total Noob custom firmware via exploits?

1. Jd8531’s avatar

Afaik Mad Blocker is still not back on PSN

12. fresno’s avatar

I am rely and truly happy of my 1.81. For the moment I will not change for any of their rabish.

1. facepalmingATM’s avatar

same, im happy with my vhbl and dont want to pay $20 for another game to play other games

13. Coldstar’s avatar

The game to download for exploit is virtua tennis, go go go

14. yobib34’s avatar

stick with 1.81….

15. filodude’s avatar

forced update does this mean im on 1.81 if i connect to the internet it will force me to update to 2.01?

1. Jd8531’s avatar

Yes if you try to connect to the Internet, you’ll need to update or you won’t be able to use it.

16. arnookie’s avatar

Forced update will NOT force and update to magically appear on your vita if you go online. It is a forced update by making YOU! “download” the update to get on ps network / store or to play online. It will not install itself unless you have auto update enabled in system setting. Hope that helps some understand better. :O)

17. Matthew’s avatar

When can we expect new exploit for 2.01?

1. NakedFaerie’s avatar

Stupid question. They come out when they are ready.

This update has done nothing I can see. There are no new settings so its all internal I’m guessing. Probably just a few bugs.
      But as usual Sony make a big deal out of it. Instead of patching the little bugs elsewhere they update the whole firmware risking bricks.

My Vita locked up after the YouTube 2.0 update and it refused to reboot until I held the power button for about 3 mins.
      Its been ok after the 2.01 update but it will lock up.

ALL Sony products bring nice new features eventually but they also bring some real tough stupid security which locks up the system a lot more often.

I bet someone with a launch Vita and launch PS3 both with launch firmwares will have less lockups than someone with the current firmwares.

18. GENERALhuhHow’s avatar

Stay away if you want use exploit until vhbl is made for 2.2 in a month howchachewcha!

19. Jeff’s avatar

Thanks Jd8531, I had never heard of those bottom combinations. It worked like a charm!

1. Jd8531’s avatar

No problem :P

20. TypicalBLACKamerican’s avatar

Man you got to be out yo mind to update yo ass better have two vitas like me steal one and have the one for show and do whatever wit it.

21. wartaf’s avatar

Hey, someone here wanna give me the “Raw Request” of psp2-updatelist.xml from charles proxy?

22. Dj Android’s avatar

Not to brag or anything, but i have actually got the update downloaded to my PC and have modified it to do various things ;) Ill send out a few FW: 3.00AD updates to my friend’s to enjoy.

1. gungah’s avatar

Sure you did.

1. Dj Android’s avatar

I was expecting someone to say that. For proof, im making a video of what i did and ill upload it to YouTube.

1. Jd8531’s avatar

Feel free to contact me via the forums, I’m interested in this.

1. Shinny’s avatar

This rings a bell for me.. Dj Godman and DJ Android.. Hope its not the same thing =/

2. Draven’s avatar

I am quite interested in this, too. If it’s something that you wouldn’t mind sharing, I’d like to see it, too.

23. super mario bros!!!’s avatar

heck

24. NaturalDIRTYSKIN’s avatar

DJ ANDROID link that vid on here i wanna see what your about!

25. Skars’s avatar

Leveraging the subject, I would like to ask if someone know if it is possible to access PSN on PS3 with OFW 4.21??

My console is a CECH:30xxA and I’m afraid of miss a chance on a expected CFW. SO I don’t want to update to 4.31, or is it safe?

Thanks in advance.

26. SupahLeecha’s avatar

I’m just here to check the changelog analysis. Much better to see it here at wololodotnet. Thanks wololo team!

27. filodude’s avatar

just tried to transfer some movie with open cma.

flight mode off. it will tell me to update if i wanna transfer
    flight mode on. dont have to.

28. new’s avatar

hi and welcome psp psvita user i find simple and fast way to put iso cso games on hacked psvita when you have open cma v 4.5 and it work just put you iso cso in date expolt for your game and when copying it to your ps vita with psp filer put the games where it must be by moving it to be hoist i dont have psvit yet but just a try please if any one try tell me the result thanks

29. BuckTOOTHASIAN’s avatar

This firmware is better than the last thank you sony!

30. StrifeAsaakeezis’s avatar

The update has popped up on my vita and when I carry on to update it and select next it just freezes. WTF is the deal with that? Feel like I’m the only one having this problem. I’m ready to see if I can snap this F’in thing in half in a deadly rage!
    Can anyone help?

1. wololo’s avatar

Assuming you *really* want to update, I would try the following things:
      - Cold boot your Vita (press on the power button for 20 second) and try again
      - if that didn’t work, reset your vita to factory settings and try again (this will most likely format your memory stick and you might have to redownload all your games. In some cases ou might not want to do that…)

1. StrifeAsaakeezis’s avatar

P.s. I don’t want the update but it seems I need to download it in order to play my new BlackOps vita game online.

31. StrifeAsaakeezis’s avatar

I don’t want to lose any data on my memory card and vita as I have many downloaded games and I have produced a lot of beats on my vita via the Beatmaker program and am looking to use them on my next album.
    Thanks though. Any other suggestions that allow me to keep my data? I came across a link that suggested updating through pc via usb connection? Will this ensure a better and more stable update connection that won’t freeze my vita in mid-update download?
    Thanks.